C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs LS3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:14 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by gearbox
And you can hope in my z06 h/c blown and your face will do the same. A crotch rocket got his as# hahanded to him a few days ago. 60-150 blast.
Great for you, sounds like a sick car. And for 100K I could have a forged 427 with 1100 HP and enough left over to buy a nice crotch rocket. But I'm talking bang-for-buck here, not unlimited expense accounts.

If money were no object, I'd have a 2000HP 7-second Aventador with one of those big-boobed girls jiggling in the passenger seat on YouTube.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 AM
gearbox
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Great for you, sounds like a sick car. And for 100K I could have a forged 427 with 1100 HP and enough left over to buy a nice crotch rocket. But I'm talking bang-for-buck here, not unlimited expense accounts.

If money were no object, I'd have a 2000HP 7-second Aventador with

one of those big-boobed girls jiggling
in the passenger seat on YouTube.
Lol... definitely see your point. I wanted till z06 prices came down and bought mine all mods included. You save $$$$$.
Im actually suppose to race a Aventador (not sure mods) and a ford
gt twin turbo next month.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittcorvette
I'm going to reboot this discussion.

The grand sport, according to the numbers here, can't beat a skinny or a narrow body in a drag race due to weight and drag. It also can't beat a z06 on the track because its a wanna be Z06. So where does it win?
In the minds of their owners
Old 07-31-2014, 08:09 AM
timafey
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
So much hate on GS guys. Didn't realize this. It's a cool package! Like an in between, or are they catching heat because a lot of GS guys think it's a z06?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The grand sport, according to the numbers here, can't beat a skinny or a narrow body in a drag race due to weight and drag. It also can't beat a z06 on the track because its a wanna be Z06. So where does it win?
the g.s. guys have too big an ego and think their car is the only corvette on the road. my stock base vette held its own against a g.s. on rt. 80 near the gap a few weeks back. had him by half a car length. he gave me the thumbs up and went his way. probably still grumbling to himself today. who knows, maybe he even traded "down" for a base model.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:35 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I think for the most part it comes down to the driver in head-to-head match-ups between the GS and the base. In general the base has the advantage on a drag strip and the GS has the advantage on a road course (stock vs stock, of course). You can probably find isolated numbers to support whatever predisposed position you may have, but I think there is enough objective evidence out there to support this general assessment.

I won't even address the Z06 vs GS argument as the GS was never meant to compete with the Z06 on any track. You get what you pay for in that regard, and I think the whole argument some people try to make that the GS is some sort of "Z06 poser" is ridiculous. They were built for a specific consumer at a specific price point with specific performance and feature factors for a reason. Unlike several on this forum, I won't assume most people who buy either of these models didn't know the differences before they made such a large purchase decision.

The area where the GS is hands down at the top of the Corvette ladder is in sales. From 2010 to 2013 it demolished the other available models in total sales.` So it may not be the fastest in a straight line and it may not be the fastest on a road course, but it clearly provided the right performance, features and price combination for the majority of new Corvette buyers in the final years of the C6. I would consider that a pretty important "win" from a business and product viability standpoint.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:45 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by timafey
So much hate on GS guys. Didn't realize this. It's a cool package! Like an in between, or are they catching heat because a lot of GS guys think it's a z06?
If you actually talk to GS owners, I don't think you'll find many who actually think they are driving the equal of the Z06 and like you said most will say it is a good compromise between the base and Z06. While they appreciate the various suspension components and the dry sump system (M6 coupe) that were carried over, there is a very clear understanding of the difference between the two models by the actual owners.

This is an argument narrow body owners seem to like to make. As I said in my previous post, it really is ridiculous and unfounded IMO.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billyboy47
the g.s. guys have too big an ego and think their car is the only corvette on the road. my stock base vette held its own against a g.s. on rt. 80 near the gap a few weeks back. had him by half a car length. he gave me the thumbs up and went his way. probably still grumbling to himself today. who knows, maybe he even traded "down" for a base model.
You assert the GS guys have too big an ego yet you're the one on here bragging about racing one on a public road. I'm finding the irony somewhat humorous.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
If you actually talk to GS owners, I don't think you'll find many who actually think they are driving the equal of the Z06 and like you said most will say it is a good compromise between the base and Z06. While they appreciate the various suspension components and the dry sump system (M6 coupe) that were carried over, there is a very clear understanding of the difference between the two models by the actual owners.

This is an argument narrow body owners seem to like to make. As I said in my previous post, it really is ridiculous and unfounded IMO.
Back in 2010 when the GS first came out. I went to the local Cars and Coffee one morning and two cars down, a brand new GS pulls up. This is the first I have seen the car in person, but knew what it was and what it was about. People started gathering around because the targa top was off, and it just appeared different with the widebody and all.

The owner got out of the car and was bombarded with questions, and I too was standing there listening. I suppose he did not know that I was the owner of the Z06 two cars down, but this guy went on and on about how his GS was basically a Z06 with a steel frame which is meant for racing. He was pointing at my Z stating that he would never own a Z because his GS was better and safer because of the steel frame. He also praised the fact that he can take his roof off and he saved $20k to top it off, all the while saying that his GS was basically a Z06 with 69 less hp and that GM underrated the GS motors and they actually are closer to 500hp...but of course he also mentioned he was going to add a supercharger and blow the doors of a Z06 all day long.

People were eating the bullchit up....very comical...I just walked off mid sentence of him talking.

Since then...the GS vs. Z06 argument carries on to this day.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by timafey
I am joking, I personally love the GS look, there is no GS hate, its simply the GS better then you attitude that brings it on, and the broad statement that its faster then the base, and almost as fast as the zo6 or at least splits between the two, then when that's proven to be wrong, then corvettes are not built for drag racing, but they seem to be doing a great job of it, then the GS destroys the base according to Milner who by the way is in GM's pocket, simply power to weight ratio brakes and tires its really unbelievable, now maybe a true base with the base brakes and base tires with one of the lesser drivers, driving it against Milner in the GS.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It wins in the minds of it's owners. Some people like fender flares and fake scoops.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
It wins in the minds of it's owners. Some people like fender flares and fake scoops.
The brake scoops or ducts as you would properly call them are very real and functional. Why is it that the narrow body people have to knock the GS? No body put a gun to your head and forced you to buy one so what do you care how they look or drive. The car doesn't pertain to you so just leave it alone. Go and drive your narrow body. BTW I never portray my GS as anything other than it is, it's a GS period.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ
Back in 2010 when the GS first came out. I went to the local Cars and Coffee one morning and two cars down, a brand new GS pulls up. This is the first I have seen the car in person, but knew what it was and what it was about. People started gathering around because the targa top was off, and it just appeared different with the widebody and all.

The owner got out of the car and was bombarded with questions, and I too was standing there listening. I suppose he did not know that I was the owner of the Z06 two cars down, but this guy went on and on about how his GS was basically a Z06 with a steel frame which is meant for racing. He was pointing at my Z stating that he would never own a Z because his GS was better and safer because of the steel frame. He also praised the fact that he can take his roof off and he saved $20k to top it off, all the while saying that his GS was basically a Z06 with 69 less hp and that GM underrated the GS motors and they actually are closer to 500hp...but of course he also mentioned he was going to add a supercharger and blow the doors of a Z06 all day long.

People were eating the bullchit up....very comical...I just walked off mid sentence of him talking.

I'm sure there are people out there who think this, but I think they are in the very small minority. What is true is there are components from the Z06 that improve the track performance of the GS. I think it is factual to state so without saying or implying they are equivalent or the GS is superior on the track. There is no question the GS is a compromise compared to the Z06 when it comes to track performance.

As to the people who think the GS is all just a wide body and "fake" scoops (which are all functional just as they are on the Z06, BTW), they will probably never be convinced about the benefits of the components the GS shares with the Z06 on the track. All they will focus on is the weight and aerodynamics, which are important but not the only equation in reliable and repeatable fast road course lap times.

I agree, the debates will go on for the various reasons expressed through this thread and many others. I stopped engaging on this subject for a long time because it just got so stupid with a lot of uninformed people making ridiculous statements (e.g., "fake scoops"). Some from GS owners themselves (like the gentleman you noted above), but most from people who, for some reason, feel compelled to bash the GS apparently for no other reason than the mere fact the car exists and people other than themselves liked it. The whole debate always devolves into a johnson measuring contest with a secondary debate on exactly how to measure it. I really don't see the point and I've already wasted enough time on this thread. Out.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
hahahaha

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 07-31-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There is "NO WAY" that could happen. Car and driver specifically stated that a narrow body or skinny cannot and will not beat a gs. Never, ever, ever, ever ever, ever, and EVER, PERIOD!!!

According to gs owners the correct terminology is "Narrow" or "Skinny". I know someone stated that he was going to become rich making " skinny "conversions. By the way he said that sarcastically. I would say yes I'm sure that gs drivers would be willing to purchase one unless they like losing drag races to uhumm " base corvettes " or they can keep the wide body for track purposes and lose to Z06 on the track. Your choice.

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 07-31-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
You assert the GS guys have too big an ego yet you're the one on here bragging about racing one on a public road. I'm finding the irony somewhat humorous.
Exactly, even by his own words, the GS guy was cool and gave him a thumbs up. Who's the one with the insecurities?
Old 07-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
And you can always count on the same group of insecure Z06 owners to help stir up the pot in those threads (what are you even doing in this section when there is a dedicated Z06 subforum?).

Funny how I never, ever see ZR-1 dudes in these threads ******* the GS (or the Z06). Because they are secure that they are top dog and stay in their Top Doghouse (ZR-1 subforum). Ever wonder why little dogs are always starting stuff, yapping and yelping?

Ho boy, 75 whole horsepower, how nice for you!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs LS3?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I'm sure after his encounter with you he went and got rid of his GS and bought a base coupe.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:50 PM
HumanWiki
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I almost don't even want to participate in this thread, but here goes.

I run around in a couple groups locally. I have two friends with narrow body C6s that are in the 10s with bolt ons. I run around with a very fast 5th Gen with pretty much every part known to man, minus a blower and a bigger motor. (She road races, so I don't have "times" that would make sense to most). I have another friend with a heavily modded NSX and a GTR (both are stupid fast). He formally had a C6Z, C6 and C5Z and is such a good driver that he regularly owned "pros" with faster cars.

Then there's my friend that had the pro-street 2nd gen Camaro. My friend back in Texas with an ACR Viper (formerly a Terminator Cobra and Lightning) and his other car is an 800WHP LT1 4th Gen Camaro.

There's my other friends with various C7s in varying states of mods..

(I could keep going)

Pretty much every single one of them are actual car people with actual, real world, knowledge beyond magazines and Horsepower TV. It's this group of diversified people that have cars much faster than my "junky old Poser Z" that I'd expect insults from... Yet, I have to come here to fellow Corvette owners to feel as unwanted and fake as I do by reading some of the commentary on this thread about the Grand Sport as a model. What is with the GS hate and commentary that I see so often?

I drag and road race my car. I've beaten plenty of people and I've been beaten by plenty.

Also, I should point out that I have out driven both (and have on video) the drivers of a Porsche GT3 and a Ferrari 430 Scuderia. I have also out driven various M class BMWs, AMG MerBenzs, other GrandSports, Z51s, C6s, C5Zs, Audi R8s, etc. because the driver didn't know how to optimally pilot their vehicle. All while my little GS happily ran hard lap after lap after lap and made pass after pass for "slower" cars.

I have been beaten on the course by Golf GTIs and Audi A4/5 in the rain. I have been out cornered by a beater of a 2nd gen Trans Am because it was a full on track car with a beat up rusted out jalopy of a body. I've had to take my car off track because it was getting too hot or coding.

It seems that there are too many people here that don't understand or appreciate that vehicle stats mean about jackcrap outside of the paper they're printed on if they're not in the hands of a person that can use it. That applies to all cars because I know full well that a properly piloted GT3, R8, 430, etc. will leave me in the dust and that we (my car and I) were simply a better team than they were.

You also incorrectly seem to think that boasting and overstating ones car's abilities and stats are somehow limited to Grand Sport owners. While I'm sure that there are plenty of arrogant GS owners out there, not all of us are that way and honestly, I've personally met more arrogant and condescending Z06 and ZR1 owners and jealous C6 and Z51 optioned owners than I have from my own little group of GS people. So, this little problem runs in both directions between all models and optioned cars.... Let's try not to make it a model/option specific complaint and label it correctly as an owner issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:50 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
And you can always count on the same group of insecure Z06 owners to help stir up the pot in those threads (what are you even doing in this section when there is a dedicated Z06 subforum?).

Funny how I never, ever see ZR-1 dudes in these threads ******* the GS (or the Z06). Because they are secure that they are top dog and stay in their Top Doghouse (ZR-1 subforum). Ever wonder why little dogs are always starting stuff, yapping and yelping?

Ho boy, 75 whole horsepower, how nice for you!
You do realize that a Z06 is a Corvette and here we are in the Corvette General section discussing a Z06...but that may be too much for you to understand. Afterall...you got all that horsepower added to that GS to make up for the lack thereof or other areas personally lacking......

Quick Reply: Z06 vs LS3?