C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug, I assume your talking about your FRC.

Real question- if you're cruising around at 2000-3000 & you want to pass someone quick, why not grab another gear & pass at a higher rpm?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

You willl have more than enough, either way, to spin street tires and fight for traction.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I mentioned earlier that I just want to keep up with the C7's, which have more displacement, VVT, and DI/Higher Compression, all contributing to a phatter torque curve.

What can I say, on the street I like midrange torque like a big block's (though I need OEM economy due to the duty cycle so no BB), but on the track I do like hi rpm HP. My track days are pretty much over in any case, getting old.

I'd go with a Maggie except I don't like any of the hoods on a C5.

I have stock rear gears so I cruise typically under 2K and only downshift two gears for max effort, or maybe I'm just getting lazy in my old age (plus it's an interesting design exercise IMO, optimising a centri for more midrange without concern for max top end).

Originally Posted by 4DRUSH
Doug, I assume your talking about your FRC.

Real question- if you're cruising around at 2000-3000 & you want to pass someone quick, why not grab another gear & pass at a higher rpm?

Last edited by doug_dayson; 07-30-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

CA has the weather to allow this... just use a TVS instead
Old 07-31-2014, 01:12 AM
Murder_C5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now go buy a that supercharger, restrictor plate or not & I'm sure you'll be happy with the low end torque

Im sure you will be pleased with the mid-range power as well from any centri.
Why not go ahead get the kit w/the plate, smoke some C7s & start your BOOST ADDICTION!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
You mean not everyone on here is trying to sell something... And all things equal you will not make 50 more hp then someone else..if you did, you would have plastered the dyno all over here.. you would make the same or less because the pulley dictates when and how much the psi will make at any given rpm.. a plate simply limits the max amount of psi allowed in the engine.. that's it..period... why is no "data" to support these more claims... because they simply don't exist..
Reading comprehension, look up the meaning and read it twice. I said rwtq, not HP.

Redirect yourself to the second post in this thread and read that twice also, then you can figure out what the restrictor plate does.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:02 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Ha ha, there's a solution, though I'm afraid the TVS isn't legal on C5's in CA, and Magnuson has no plans to certify it for C5's last I heard.

Unfortunately I do sometimes get caught in the rain as my C5 is my long trip car of choice when Pepper the German Shepherd stays home, so that's out for me, but looks cool on yours.

Have you considered a clear cover for the polished blower like a C6 ZR1?

Originally Posted by _zebra

CA has the weather to allow this... just use a TVS instead
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
Ha ha, there's a solution, though I'm afraid the TVS isn't legal on C5's in CA, and Magnuson has no plans to certify it for C5's last I heard.

Unfortunately I do sometimes get caught in the rain as my C5 is my long trip car of choice when Pepper the German Shepherd stays home, so that's out for me, but looks cool on yours.

Have you considered a clear cover for the polished blower like a C6 ZR1?
Originally Posted by MTI
Emissions Compliance- Executive Order exemptions (E.O. D-488-6, D-488-12, D-488-14) have been issued by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for 1997 to 2009 Corvette applications, making most systems 50-state "street-legal".
http://www.mtiracing.com/c6-z06-magn...-corvette.html

as for the hood, that ain't mine i doubt a little rain would do anything adverse - after all you probably warsh your engine bay sometimes, don't you? i actually considered cutting my stocker (and maybe should've) but ended up getting the Kenne Bell hood... which is exactly opposite of what you said you want because it's probably the biggest PD hood made, though it really ain't that huge & uses the same factory lines so it flows nice.
and i don't like the covered window look. that was one of my problems with the ZR1.

and i ended up pulling all Magnuson CARB numbers i could find (24 of them) & i'll be doggone
looks like they certified the Radix/MP units for C5 and C6, but the TVS units are only good for C6s, CTSs, G8s, Camaros, GM trucks, mustangs, lightnings, challengers, chargers, and wranglers. hmm...
it couldn't hurt to ask

Last edited by _zebra; 07-31-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Some good information. Some good discussion and a certain person that's been warned by the moderators already once but yet continues to pry into the thread and just try to stir up crap with ECS! Keep the thread civilized and no bashing on vendors on here. They are here to help and yes they do sell things. If its not your cup of tea, just stay out of the thread and move on! Ok now back to further discussion. Play on.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:00 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

This is all I have been able to turn up for dyno sheet comparisions. If someone has a C5 with an ECS supercharger on it running either stock or bolt ons only, feel free to post up your dyno sheet along with your pulley size, boost numbers, and if your running the restrictor plate which as Doug pointed out...if your stock or bolt ons, you probably will have the restrictor plate on.

Off A&A Corvettes site. Their system for C5.

Off A&A Corvettes site. Their system for C5 Z06.

Off Paxton's site which says this is the same exact system you would get if ordered directly from ECS. Doesn't really specify what car this was done on accept that it was a C5. Have to assume a Z06 as the numbers come close to A&A's numbers.

So looks like:
A&A Difference between HP to TQ (from the C5 graph) is: 44
A&A Difference between HP to TQ (from the Z06 graph) is: 82
ECS Difference between HP to TQ is: 60

Going by these graphs...Iam not seeing ECS with an extra 50 tq in around the 2-4rpm midrange bands when compared to A&A. Graphs almost look identical. I dunno though...maybe Iam misreading. Also I know no 2 cars will dyno the same so this may be a bad comparison. Also note the date from the dyno tuned ECS car was almost 10 years ago. Sorry its the only graph I could find! Have no idea how current the A&A graphs are. Just figured got to start somewhere though.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-01-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Have you considered the COW Booster
Old 08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Have you considered the COW Booster
Cute. How about posting up a dyno graph from your car. We could use that.

PS: for those wondering the COW booster, might work for the stock C6 cars but since were talking about supercharged C5's..well shoot Jay just likes bustin *****.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-01-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:19 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

Oh no..
Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

None of this helps define the restrictor's contribution to midrange power.

The only way to test this is below assuming similar tunes (assuming some midrange parameters might need tweaking due to the restrictor?)...

A) Run the setup pulley'd to boost level "a".

B) Run the same setup restricted and pulley'd to boost level "a".

C) Compare results.

That's the only way to know...

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
This is all I have been able to turn up for dyno sheet comparisions. If someone has a C5 with an ECS supercharger on it running either stock or bolt ons only, feel free to post up your dyno sheet along with your pulley size, boost numbers, and if your running the restrictor plate which as Doug pointed out...if your stock or bolt ons, you probably will have the restrictor plate on.

Off A&A Corvettes site. Their system for C5.

Off A&A Corvettes site. Their system for C5 Z06.

Off Paxton's site which says this is the same exact system you would get if ordered directly from ECS. Doesn't really specify what car this was done on accept that it was a C5. Have to assume a Z06 as the numbers come close to A&A's numbers.

So looks like:
A&A Difference between HP to TQ (from the C5 graph) is: 44
A&A Difference between HP to TQ (from the Z06 graph) is: 82
ECS Difference between HP to TQ is: 60

Going by these graphs...Iam not seeing ECS with an extra 50 tq in around the 2-4rpm midrange bands when compared to A&A. Graphs almost look identical. I dunno though...maybe Iam misreading. Also I know no 2 cars will dyno the same so this may be a bad comparison. Also note the date from the dyno tuned ECS car was almost 10 years ago. Sorry its the only graph I could find! Have no idea how current the A&A graphs are. Just figured got to start somewhere though.

Last edited by doug_dayson; 08-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by doug_dayson
None of this helps define the restrictor's contribution to midrange power.

The only way to test this is below assuming similar tunes (assuming some midrange parameters might need tweaking due to the restrictor?)...

A) Run the setup pulley'd to boost level "a".

B) Run the same setup restricted and pulley'd to boost level "a".

C) Compare results.

That's the only way to know...
and if you don't know, you'll never buy a supercharger ?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:34 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default yup

Agree Doug

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-01-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM
dblack
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems fairly logical to me that if the only variable is restricted vs non-restricted- the restricted setup would make more mid range power because the blower will be spinning harder at lower engine rpm (because it will be running a smaller pulley) thus making more power in the lower rpm range.

Get notified of new replies

To How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:13 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Indeed, I think the only question is how much midrange gain is possible/practical before IAT's and parasitic losses rear their ugly heads?

Originally Posted by dblack
It seems fairly logical to me that if the only variable is restricted vs non-restricted- the restricted setup would make more mid range power because the blower will be spinning harder at lower engine rpm (because it will be running a smaller pulley) thus making more power in the lower rpm range.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:24 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Possibly as I could go N/A for less money and reliability issues etc?

Also, I'm curious now LOL!

and if you don't know, you'll never buy a supercharger ?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

And if you were gonna spend 5-6,000 on a system and one was able to provide 50 or so more torque right in the sweet spot of around 2000-3500rpms then yeah, a smart decision would be to ask plenty of questions before you bought it and make sure the system is right for you.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 08-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: How does a restrictor plate supercharger (ECS) differ/is better in low end torque?