Sponsored by:

All season tires in So-Cal

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:58 PM
djlink21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires in So-Cal

I've read that the stock tires are not recommended for use by Michelin below 40f°. I live in Riverside, CA. Which for those of you who don't want to look it up on the map is halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs. For the most part there isn't much rain out here but it does dip into the 30's 40's and I've never seen it go below freezing.

I was wondering if there are any So Cal drivers that can give me their input on driving out here with summer tires in our winter conditions.

Does the traction of the tire get so bad that I should get a/s tires for the one or two months that we get below 40. Then using A/S tires for the other 10 months. I'd rather not have two sets to jump back and forth, but it looks like that might be the case. What do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it at all if I still lived in SoCal. See this thread for how well the stock tires perform in adverse conditions.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Pschwab
Advanced

Originally Posted by -CM-
I wouldn't worry about it at all if I still lived in SoCal. See this thread for how well the stock tires perform in adverse conditions.
I work in Riverside and live in Murrieta. Just got the car in February, so I haven't had too many rainy days to deal with, but haven't had any problems. We don't see many if any days below 40 anyway, so I'm not concerned with that. I will be replacing the stock tires though for commuting and save the Michelin's for track days.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

No worries in SoCal... Summer tires are good year round
Old 04-24-2014, 05:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by djlink21
I've read that the stock tires are not recommended for use by Michelin below 40f°. I live in Riverside, CA. Which for those of you who don't want to look it up on the map is halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs. For the most part there isn't much rain out here but it does dip into the 30's 40's and I've never seen it go below freezing.

I was wondering if there are any So Cal drivers that can give me their input on driving out here with summer tires in our winter conditions.

Does the traction of the tire get so bad that I should get a/s tires for the one or two months that we get below 40. Then using A/S tires for the other 10 months. I'd rather not have two sets to jump back and forth, but it looks like that might be the case. What do you guys think?
Now, you’re really rubbing it in for all those who live in the Mid-West and up North!
I live in SC near the coast where we do get cold nights and some days (especially this year) where it will be in the 30’s during the day! Except when it was raining (didn’t want to get it dirty) I was driving most days. It was fine. When it’s below 40-45 just don’t expect great traction! The car won’t let you get in trouble. I’d never consider using all seasons!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:24 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by djlink21

I drove in Wichita and Grants Pass sunny and dry March 12th and March 17th in the 30's early am and dry in weather mode no problem Wayne
Old 04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
Vette_It_be
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in Orange County and have been driving my vettes with Michelin tires forever. Even though the temps may hit to high 30's and 40's on certain winter morning you got nothing to worry about. These tires are great and can handle anything So Cal throws at them. I picked up my C7 earlier this months and was in the Big Bear area with Temp's in the low 40's and had no problems.

You'll be fine and you will enjoy these tires.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
SDLaw
Instructor

I saw it snow in Riverside when I lived there for 6 months.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:25 AM
djlink21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette_It_be
I live in Orange County and have been driving my vettes with Michelin tires forever. Even though the temps may hit to high 30's and 40's on certain winter morning you got nothing to worry about. These tires are great and can handle anything So Cal throws at them. I picked up my C7 earlier this months and was in the Big Bear area with Temp's in the low 40's and had no problems.

You'll be fine and you will enjoy these tires.

All right, Thanks everyone, I just wanted some input to be safe.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Weasel
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 44 Posts

I can't believe that the all-weather/winter tire folks haven't chimed in yet. Because there is a tremendous benefit to stretching your driving season out --If you need tires. I'm not saying to throw your good tires away, but if you need tires, why not all-season/winter?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:55 AM
djlink21
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Now, you’re really rubbing it in for all those who live in the Mid-West and up North!
I live in SC near the coast where we do get cold nights and some days (especially this year) where it will be in the 30’s during the day! Except when it was raining (didn’t want to get it dirty) I was driving most days. It was fine. When it’s below 40-45 just don’t expect great traction! The car won’t let you get in trouble. I’d never consider using all seasons!
haha, yeah I figured some of you east coast guys would say wtf about this thread in so cal. haha

I can't believe that the all-weather/winter tire folks haven't chimed in yet. Because there is a tremendous benefit to stretching your driving season out --If you need tires. I'm not saying to throw your good tires away, but if you need tires, why not all-season/winter? !
Well seeing how I will only be driving the vette on the weekends the tires should last me 2 years
Old 04-25-2014, 01:37 PM
10splaya22
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weasel
I can't believe that the all-weather/winter tire folks haven't chimed in yet. Because there is a tremendous benefit to stretching your driving season out --If you need tires. I'm not saying to throw your good tires away, but if you need tires, why not all-season/winter?
Because summer tires are that much better for the rest of the year. I would sacrifice 2 months to have a little less traction to have much better traction the other 10 months especially in your climate.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All season tires on a C7 in So. Cal???? Do you like wearing down jackets to the beach on a hot summers day? I think not.

The stock tires are great year around here and all season tires would be a waste of money. The likes of which would only compromise the stellar handling of the car. I drove my C7 through the coldest months this year and there isn't a snowballs chance in hell (the San Fernando Valley), I'd put AS tires on my car. The stock tires are a perfect fit for our weather and stick to the road like no other tire I've ever used on any of my Vettes!

The only people that will chime in with a vote of yes for all season tires are going to be people that don't live in So. Cal and or people who don't have a C7.

Last edited by slief; 04-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:19 PM
TAK2TRK
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm pretty sure we didn't have a winter this year.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TAK2TRK
I'm pretty sure we didn't have a winter this year.
LOL... When was the last time we had an actual "winter" here in So. Cal?? 10 years ago maybe?

I've never run AS tires on any of my Vettes and never felt any compelling reason to do so. The stock tires are perfectly suited for So. Cal weather even if we do see 30 days a year of uncharacteristically cold weather or the occasional rain storm.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:38 PM
perrazi mx-15
Intermediate

I always find it humorous when so-cal people talk about adverse weather.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:10 PM
djlink21
Instructor

Originally Posted by perrazi mx-15
I always find it humorous when so-cal people talk about adverse weather.

Yeah we're spoiled out here haha

Get notified of new replies

To All season tires in So-Cal

Quick Reply: All season tires in So-Cal