C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed a TKO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

thanks for all the replys!

I am in no way worried about modifying my car or original status. My car has been heavily modded and is very far from stock. When the car was purchased back in '82 it was already bare bones since the previous owner was an SCCA member.

The car has no power anything! no heater (I replaced the core I just haven't run hoses) no A/C no windshield wipers etc...... its bare bones! I use this car for around town fun car shows...drag racing and hopefully some road course action.

I will have to do some research on making the cross member removable...I have not heard of that mod but it would be a big help! I just replaced my clutch and put in an aluminum flywheel a few months back.

I am planning on going to 4.33 rear gears and an O.D trans sure would make it nice!

The money is stiff but it would not stop me, it will just take a little time to save up for it. I am in the research stage right now. I have been fighting the shifter I have for a long time. It may be that my Muncie has some wear internally and causing some shifting issues.

So for the most part is $3,800-$4k the standard price for doing this conversion?
Old 04-24-2014, 11:25 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler
Well I can say, that the cheapest vendor at the end of last year was Hurst.
But I bought the clutch on my own. I saw the one they are offering can be bought much cheaper at summit. Think thats where they try to make some bucks
So try Hurst + buying clutch elsewhere. I didn´t need more things, everything was included (despite tranny oil).
I think I looked at Hurst when I was looking, can't remember why I didn't get a quote from them or maybe I asked and didn't receive anything - not sure, getting old
Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

With the body on the car, I don't think I'd want to install the tranny from the bottom. Here is how we installed the 5-speed behind a blown, 640hp/600ft-lb 383:

The tranny has seen full abuse behind the blown engine, and is holding up well after a year of wild street use.

Lars
Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tq ratings guys. 600 is way too low for me unfortunately so I guess I'll be going with a transzilla after all lol
Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to highjack the thread.

It looks like the American Powertrain kit is more popular than the Hurst kit. Any advice about which one is beter and why?

Thanks

Don
Old 04-24-2014, 05:02 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
With the body on the car, I don't think I'd want to install the tranny from the bottom. Here is how we installed the 5-speed behind a blown, 640hp/600ft-lb 383:

The tranny has seen full abuse behind the blown engine, and is holding up well after a year of wild street use.

Lars
thats wicked Lars !!!!

is that an 8 rib on a vortech thru the hat??

very, very cool... when does the centrif really start to scream?? 3k?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

What do you think it would cost to have someone install a TKO 600 to replace a Muncie, including making the cross member removable?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were closer id offer to do it for yuengs and wings but unfortunately you're halfway across the country lol
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff2002
What do you think it would cost to have someone install a TKO 600 to replace a Muncie, including making the cross member removable?
I think in a professional shop with car lift etc. in it can be done within 8hrs if it was a shifter before and there is sometimes a helping hand.

In my garage I needed 2hrs just to put the car on jack stands and to remove the Muncie.
Then dialing the bellhousing was a pain because I was alone and had always to slide unter the car to read the measurements.
To put the TKO in I needed 12hrs I think, because I have a non removable cross member. I had to disassemble the sidepipes and distributor, so i could tilt the engine. And all this back on afterwards again.
Well, ~20hrs all-alone-job without a shop and engine lift.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 PM
Griff2002
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler
I think in a professional shop with car lift etc. in it can be done within 8hrs if it was a shifter before and there is sometimes a helping hand.

In my garage I needed 2hrs just to put the car on jack stands and to remove the Muncie.
Then dialing the bellhousing was a pain because I was alone and had always to slide unter the car to read the measurements.
To put the TKO in I needed 12hrs I think, because I have a non removable cross member. I had to disassemble the sidepipes and distributor, so i could tilt the engine. And all this back on afterwards again.
Well, ~20hrs all-alone-job without a shop and engine lift.
Thanks. I guess it probably helps to find a shop that has done it before. The second time is probably a lot easier and not sure I'd want my car to be the one they learn on.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff2002
Thanks. I guess it probably helps to find a shop that has done it before. The second time is probably a lot easier and not sure I'd want my car to be the one they learn on.
If you were closer to San Antonio I'd say let's trade labor and help each other with the swap but 3 hours away is a bit far...
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Hey Lars...... Did you make the crossmember removable?

If I am reading right some of you guys are talking about buying the trans from one vendor and the install kit from another????

I have read the description from American Powertrain.

What exactly is costing so much in the install kit??? Their price is $1,400 it does come with the correct length drive shaft and the connections for speedo. That seems a bit high!!!

I also see that they modify the body of the trans to move the shifter over.

Have any of you installed a TKO that did not have the shifter modified? Where exactly does the shifter sit? If a regular TKO would work and you just need to cut the tunnel a little that is not really a big deal to me.

If that is possible I may be able to find a TKO for cheaper than $2,400 that AMerican is asking for.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:28 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

I also see that you need to use a 26 Solon clutch disc.

I just installed an aluminum flywheel and replaced my disc. I run a CenterForce and it's currently a 10 spline.

Just browsing through the summit catalog and I see that CenterForce does not offer that disc in a 26 spline.

What clutches are you guys using?
Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
thats wicked Lars !!!!

is that an 8 rib on a vortech thru the hat??

very, very cool... when does the centrif really start to scream?? 3k?
Yes, it's an 8-rib belt on a blow-through setup running about 7 pounds. The belt is tightened to the max, so any more boost would require a cog belt upgrade, since we were seeing belt slippage at peak boost/power around 6000 rpm. The system makes boost right at idle, and the bypass valve blows off boost at idle like a hair dryer, so power is brutal and instant starting at 900 rpm.

Originally Posted by Amelio
Hey Lars...... Did you make the crossmember removable?
No, it's the stock, fixed crossmember. Dropping the engine/tranny in as a unit as shown in the photos, this was no problem: A floor jack was used at the tailshaft housing to lift the tranny up over the fixed crossmember as the drivetrain went in. From lifting the drivetrain off the floor until it was placed in the compartment with the engine resting on the engine mounts took me about 15-20 minutes, working by myself.

Lars
Old 04-27-2014, 12:22 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Yes, it's an 8-rib belt on a blow-through setup running about 7 pounds. The belt is tightened to the max, so any more boost would require a cog belt upgrade, since we were seeing belt slippage at peak boost/power around 6000 rpm. The system makes boost right at idle, and the bypass valve blows off boost at idle like a hair dryer, so power is brutal and instant starting at 900 rpm.

No, it's the stock, fixed crossmember. Dropping the engine/tranny in as a unit as shown in the photos, this was no problem: A floor jack was used at the tailshaft housing to lift the tranny up over the fixed crossmember as the drivetrain went in. From lifting the drivetrain off the floor until it was placed in the compartment with the engine resting on the engine mounts took me about 15-20 minutes, working by myself.

Lars

looks great... did you put the bypass on the hat? doesnt look like alot of tubing between the blower and hat to do... great set up...

any "belt dust" on the bottom of the hood? ... you can shread those 8 ribs with high rpm runs... your'e right to think about cog belt...it solves so many problems... we never could get a rib belt tight enough to not slip over 5k or so...

great looking install !!!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Thanks Lars!

Good to know..... I have no issue pulling my engine to make the trans install easier. I would rather not cut it and make it removable. There is so little to my engine I can have it out in under an hour.

Quick Reply: Who has installed a TKO?