Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 04-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Shutting down the thread was the only way Jason could stop the personal attacks in that thread, so no, I would not want it reopened -- I presume it would then continue to be used as a platform for further personal attacks against him and his employer.

You only damage the credibility of your own side by trolling on that issue. If you will cease doing so, and cease addressing me with irrelevant drama, I will ease off to the sidelines as I had intended last night after making my point. I generally have no interest in these communal threads unless I see bogus information being presented.
Mark

I certainly am not going to post or not post based on your predetermined intentions of when you decide to cease posting.

Next month I will have been here 10 years and you are the first to ever accuse me of being a troll ……….. thats pretty low

I will repeat what I said before. Get Jason to reopen the thread if thats whats bugging you guys so much !!! If someone is making personal attacks the MODs can delete those posts.

DH
Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 AM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
When you look at all the evidence in an intelligent and analytical way, it supports what you, GM, and Katech have said all along about a machining error in the guides. It is one's choice to make a knee jerk reaction without fully comprehending this situation. However, it is not ok to then ram that opinion down others throats, and lash out at anyone that differs in opinion trying to share data and facts rather than propaganda.

- Guide wear is rampant (Not opinion - fact per data)
- Failures without guide wear haven't come to light (Not opinion - fact per data)
- Neither OEM valves nor SS valves are strong enough in the presence of extreme guide wear, and BOTH HAVE FAILED (Not opinion - fact per data)
- I personally had more intake guide wear than exhaust guide wear (Not opinion - fact per data)
- Any heads that WCCH changed to bronze guides has 100% success rate thus far, with the OEM hollow valve and the SS valve (Not opinion - fact per data)

That pretty much sums it up right there.
mostly agree, but disagree on a couple points.

to be clear, and this isn't just my opinion:

considering the low fail rates and few miles driven on the fixed heads, a 100% success rate does NOT indicate that the issue has been fixed. we need data on more heads and over more miles driven before we can begin to make that statement.

that said, i put my money on WCCH and have bet my engine on WCCH and hope it pays off they have a ton of experience and an extremely good reputation, and i definitely don't take their recommendations lightly. but at the same time, as an experimentalist, i need convincing data for proof.

ricky had some questions about what i thought would be necessary to define success. i am very busy with work for the next couple days, but i'll try to come up with a more precise quantitative statement of my conditions sometime this week. but basically for me, if doing a study, statistical significance is what does it for me. we're not there yet.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Yes, I'll get right on that.

Folks, I've tried to show this guy what some of the most respected people in the cylinder head industry have to say regarding the stock hollow stemmed exhaust valves and their wall thickness.

He pretends to not hear. ......or is he really pretending?

Do yourself a favor and contact the professionals who have experience with cylinder heads for your best advice.

Ricky.
I have contacted several and received varied opinions from Excessive EGT (you know who they were) to poor surface finish on the oem valves.

Non of these suggested failure modes fit's with the facts and evidence.

Any one of these failure modes would represent a generic failure mode for all LS 7's not a few.

Perhaps you do not consider Katech a most respected engine builder.
They say the problem is attributed to badly machined heads. Nothing wrong with the OEM valves.

This is the only likely failure mode to explain the evidence and also supports what GM has gone on record. Yes, perhaps GM got the date wrong on when they caught it or some bad heads were in the supply chain and found their way in later year models.

If anyone is not hearing or pretending to not hear it's you..
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrojunky
mostly agree, but disagree on a couple points.

to be clear, and this isn't just my opinion:

considering the low fail rates and few miles driven on the fixed heads, a 100% success rate does NOT indicate that the issue has been fixed. we need data on more heads and over more miles driven before we can begin to make that statement.

that said, i put my money on WCCH and have bet my engine on WCCH and hope it pays off they have a ton of experience and an extremely good reputation, and i definitely don't take their recommendations lightly. but at the same time, as an experimentalist, i need convincing data for proof.

ricky had some questions about what i thought would be necessary to define success. i am very busy with work for the next couple days, but i'll try to come up with a more precise quantitative statement of my conditions sometime this week. but basically for me, if doing a study, statistical significance is what does it for me. we're not there yet.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Also, when I get time, I'll do some further research on the modified failures listed.

I recall one striking thing that I found when I initially searched those awhile back, and that was the "cam only" failures.

The "cam only" was almost like the kiss of death.

I found a few other failures of cam setups, using the stock exhaust valves in the heads.

In that subset, the car built like Paul's (MTIRC6Z) that popped, and another owned by scuba_steve stand out.

Both were heads and cam setups, but using the stock exhaust valves.

At any rate let us know what you come up with as you study the actual incidents and the various methods of management of the issue.

Good luck.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-24-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:08 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Also, when I get time, I'll do some further research on the modified failures listed.

I recall one striking thing that I found when I initially searched those awhile back, and that was the "cam only" failures.

The "cam only" was almost like the kiss of death.

I found a few other failures of cam setups, using the stock exhaust valves in the heads.

In that subset, the car built like Paul's (MTIRC6Z) that popped, and another owned by scuba_steve stand out.

Both were heads and cam setups, but using the stock exhaust valves.

At any rate let us know what you come up with as you study the actual incidents and the various methods of management of the issue.

Good luck.
Yeah that MTI stageII cammed engine that blew had rocker arms pads which were running off the edge of the valve stem (on the rocker side) as a result of having a greater distance between the rocker pivot and the valve stem center line than my heads do...this sort of knowledge comes from personal touch and NOT from being a simple internet guru

Like I've been saying to some deaf ears, there's a reason why my guides haven't worn out while my buddy's did even though we had the same cam. I have no doubt his will wear out again, but since the first set took over 40,000 miles and a huge amount of track time to blow we wont see the answer for a long time.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Do your due diligence on this matter, talk to the cylinder head professionals who actually manage it, do what you need to do to manage it, and you'll get a lot more enjoyment from your vehicle.

In fact, you'll be in "hog heaven."

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-24-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
....Yes, perhaps GM got the date wrong on when they caught it or some bad heads were in the supply chain and found their way in later year models.....
Well, that's not very reassuring.

GM getting the "date wrong", and "bad heads" still making it into cars, I mean.

I won't bother asking what you think happened in the "earlier" models. The 2006 and 2007s.

What you say above is concerning enough.

But why is anyone to believe that they got these exhaust valves right, if they screwed up that which you are describing above and in the manner you're describing it?

If they couldn't get the bad heads out of the supply chain, and can't get dates right, then I can't explain why one ought to have confidence in their exhaust valves which have been failing.

I'm going to continue to wait for the next member to post up in the thread for inclusion onto the listing.

As some else already said, those interested in starting another thread or in reopening a prior one, should embark on that endeavor and leave this one.

If you want to offer anything else up in rebuttal to the methods discussed in here to manage this issue, well at this point, I think it better to start your own thread to do it.

And so I'm asking, because I think it's better this way, those who have a problem with this thread, or with me, or this approach to the management of the LS7 valve issue, please leave.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-24-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by zcarbon
Whoa!! This how you treat future customers? By knockin' my avatar
Your GF has a ink'd arm on her avatar, You gotta be fair
Now how about shadys fix? Gonna do me a solid right?
Tell you what I will give you a chance to remove your remarks addressed at me. It is unacceptable to refer to me as anyone's GF. FYI, that tatoo is on my son's arm with my initials within the flames. Its his only tattoo and was done out of respect to me. So why don't you remove your insulting reference immediately ............. or are you too PIG HEADED !!!

DH
Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Has anyone had experience with running 2 cycle oil in their gas? I have run some in a gasser van and it has over 180k on it with no problems. Wonder if the 2 cycle oil would help to lube the exhaust valves on the LS7 or not.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

HowardWhat do you think GF Means?
Don't you like my avatar either?
Maybe you should tell me what you meant. I really don't have and didn't have an issue with yours. So I was bewildered as to why you were bringing mine into the fray ...............

Were you makin trouble or just makin beacon ???

DH
Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are good arguments presented on both sides, after a lot of back and forth in my mind as well as the engine builder I have decided to now go OEM exhaust,beehive springs bronze guides and torquer cam. The cost is not as expensive as a new motor, but its still a substantial amount of money for me to have this work done. In two years I'm thinking of checking the guide wear to see if all is well. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nolimit510
There are good arguments presented on both sides, after a lot of back and forth in my mind as well as the engine builder I have decided to now go OEM exhaust,beehive springs bronze guides and torquer cam. The cost is not as expensive as a new motor, but its still a substantial amount of money for me to have this work done. In two years I'm thinking of checking the guide wear to see if all is well. Thanks.
Smart man

If your old guides were worn out, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a quick test/measurement to do which will give you a good idea on how much you need to worry about the new guides wearing out too.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Good luck with it Nolimit.

Start a thread when the work on it starts up to keep all interested up to date.

At any rate, all the best and at the end of the day, you are the one who has to be comfortable.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-24-2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope this works for my engine. It's horrible that this issue affects us in the first place. I hope it never causes an injury or something worse. What surprises me is that in an ultra litigious country like ours how a class action lawsuit isn't in the works.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope this works for my engine. It's horrible that this issue affects us in the first place. I hope it never causes an injury or something worse. What surprises me is that in an ultra litigious country like ours how a class action lawsuit isn't in the works.
Class action lawsuits cost money.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:04 AM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Class action lawsuits cost money.
Good cause,No / Flappin' ones gums,Yes
Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Recently a local kid's parents got a recall noticed for his GM product a week after the kid DIED as a result of the item being recalled. GM knew about the problem for EIGHT years before they issued the recall.

I figure GM must have a good hard laugh about all the rich Vette owners complaining about an engine defect which might cost them a few thousand dollars...not exactly a sympathetic defendant, particularly when many are attempting to get GM to subsidise their rich man's hobby

I've only owned my current C6Z since '07 so it still comes as a surprise to me how seriously many Vette owners seem to take themselves. I've been poor enough in my life to see how NOT screwed rich people get and how the opposite doesn't hold true if you are poor...it's all in your perspective

Cheers, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Good cause,No / Flappin' ones gums,Yes
We're not talking about saving 15% or more on our car insurance here.

A class action lawsuit, for this matter has been spoken about on this forum, but I very seriously doubt that one will be forthcoming with regard to it.

I believe that one of the more recent threads on this is here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1586562104
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM
ChevyCobb
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A lawsuit would only benefit the lawyers anyway
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM
lbzraptor
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

That's similar to what I did. Little different cam. 10k so far in around a years time. Haven't checked the wear though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?