C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Suggestions for Carlisle Trip later in the year?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Suggestions for Carlisle Trip later in the year?

I will be making a big loop thru the eastern US with Carlisle thrown in. Probably flying into Chicago, get rental car! I have started paying for everything and booking my reservations! Any Corvette guy knowledge would be appreciated!

Look up Mother's birth town (Springfield, IL) quick stop
Stop at Indianapolis for Museum and see track (it's been awhile)- a few hours
Stop in Detroit for GM Heritage Museum- an hour if I make it!
Start of Day 2
Travel
Into Butler Area PA geneology searching- half a day
Travel part of night
Start of Day 3
Into Bedford Area PA geneology searching- full day
Bedford Gun store to look for Flintlock/Percusion Rifles- Gun Shops/Antique Stores- need suggestions!
Start of Day 4
Into Carlisles for Corvette Event- 1-1/2 days (1964 Year-- my car year!) I am pretty familiar with the Carlisle Event, having attended the Corvette Shows in the past!
Gettysburg a few hours only to see what I didn't see the last time- a couple of hours
Looking for a Family Gunsmith made rifle (Ickes double percussion rifle!)
Travel early evening, part night
Start of Day 6
Smithonsian Museums mainly Auto, Military, Space and Flight- 1 full day
Start of Day 7
General visit to Washington DC- half a day
Heading back
That famous highway that runs thru several states diagonally! Hwy 81
(Stay night Knoxville)- Start of Day 8
The Underground Atomic Manhattan Project place (Secret City Oak Ridge, Tenn- 3 hours?. I have to map this out for either Day 7 or 8. Don't know much about this!
Travel
(Stay late afternoon/evening Nashville)- Start of Day 9
Corvette Museum Visit- 3 hours.
Mammoth Caves- 1 hour or so!
George Patton Museum- couple of hours/Fort Knox quick visit
Day 10
Back to turn in the rental and fly back!

I need ideas to fill in the travel. Places to eat, Museums, sites, etc.
I have done a number of these type of trips, and can nail down the timing within hours! I am pretty good at it! You guys remember my Monterey Reunion suggestions to all from last year!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-18-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Do you have access to the Heritage Center? To my knowledge, the GM Heritage Center is not open to the public, at least not on an individual basis. I think tours are only available to groups, on a pre-arranged basis.

I know your a big fan of road racing, and racing history. About 2 hours east of Carlisle, in Philadelphia, is the Simeone Foundation Museum. The Simeone has a fantastic collection of about 70 old race cars, including Grand Sport #2 (the Witherspoon roadster), a GT40 MkII and MkIV, Cunnigham C4R, a Daytona Cobra Coupe, Jag C & D Types, an Allard J2, Gullwings, Ferrari's (including a 250 Testa Rossa), Bugatti's, Alfa's, Aston's, etc. It's well worth the visit, if you can find the time, in your schedule.

http://simeonemuseum.org/
Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 266 Posts

The auto museum in Hershey PA? I don't know what the featured collection is at this time though.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Roger Walling
Melting Slicks

Received 1,589 Likes on 661 Posts

I don't know how you could limit yourself to only a few hours in each museum.
When I travel, I will look for a chair in the museum and sit down and re think everything that I had seen and then go back and look again.

I will study the bolts on a train locomotive, and then look at the weave on a fabric in detail, study the struts on an airplane and marvel at the stone carvings from the past.

To only glimpse at a car for one minute is like looking at the dictionary with the cover closed and proclaiming that you know the content.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Do you have access to the Heritage Center? To my knowledge, the GM Heritage Center is not open to the public, at least not on an individual basis. I think tours are only available to groups, on a pre-arranged basis.
I was fortunate enough to enjoy a dinner at the Heritage Center a couple of years back with the NCRS, we had unlimited access to the vehicles, a truly amazing collection
That being said, as mentioned it is not open to the general public, I would contact them to see if there are any visits being organized while you are there, maybe you could arrange to tag along.
Also don't miss the Henry Ford in Dearborn, way more than just a car museum, truly great, and the Walter P Chrysler museum is also very cool.

Paul
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

This may be a little out of the way for your itinerary, but since you expressed an interest in firearms and Gen. Patton, there is the Tank Museum located on the north side of Danville, VA, about 100 miles south of I-81.
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/
Old 04-18-2014, 01:25 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thanks, trying to arrange that! GM thing! Thanks!

I know your a big fan of road racing, and racing history. About 2 hours east of Carlisle, in Philadelphia, is the Simeone Foundation Museum. The Simeone has a fantastic collection of about 70 old race cars, including Grand Sport #2 (the Witherspoon roadster), a GT40 MkII and MkIV, Cunnigham C4R, a Daytona Cobra Coupe, Jag C & D Types, an Allard J2, Gullwings, Ferrari's (including a 250 Testa Rossa), Bugatti's, Alfa's, Aston's, etc. It's well worth the visit, if you can find the time, in your schedule.

http://simeonemuseum.org/
I will probably offer to donate them something! That always works!

The primary reason why I am going up into Michigan is I am visiting with a relative that will "put up with me" for the night.

The Simeone would be super cool. I see them bring cars to the Vintage races all of the time. Top prepared, some of the best examples of the breed. I didn't realize that was in PA. Thus with 1-1/2 day planned for Carlisles and shooting 33miles south to Gettsburg, I don't know if I can get there before they close and squeeze it in. I would have to skip Gettysburg visit or cut Carlisles short and I still probably won't make it. But for any other enthusiast it might be a good add! Philadelphia is probably a 2 hour drive for me???? from Philly, the State Troopers would love to have me try that, I am sure! But realistically it is about 4 hours or more normally! I have done that twice, but naturally did the scenic routes. Stopped at the Revolutionary Fort, the Balancing Rock, York for Geneology, cruised by the old Yenko place, saw the flying saucers in Mars going the other way. My brother lived over in east Lancaster County while working for Sikorsky, thus that would be tough, but cool info and suggestion!

Maybe I can back track from Washington DC visit hit that in the morning, then the Capital and then just drive faster thru the Hills on Hwy. 81.

Cool thanks!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-18-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:32 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Yes Hershey!

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe
The auto museum in Hershey PA? I don't know what the featured collection is at this time though.
Highly recommended by me. They usually have big events down there and a lot of tourist stuff etc.. Since my ancestors come from PA, I have traveled all over the entire State and have been to Hershey a number of times! Good Suggestion! I may just pass thru there from the highway, and cut down thru Lancaster. You can make good time on the Amish roads toward Philly and DC. Buggies watch out!

Good Suggestion thou! Maybe I can do dinner there! Cool.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Good point!

Originally Posted by Roger Walling
I don't know how you could limit yourself to only a few hours in each museum.
When I travel, I will look for a chair in the museum and sit down and re think everything that I had seen and then go back and look again.

I will study the bolts on a train locomotive, and then look at the weave on a fabric in detail, study the struts on an airplane and marvel at the stone carvings from the past.

To only glimpse at a car for one minute is like looking at the dictionary with the cover closed and proclaiming that you know the content.
Thank is the beauty of digital photography! I can better appreciate the detail later, if I miss any! Now if you can touch and feel and drive and sit in them. Cool!

Yes I am weighing volume of locations versus quality of visit. Naturally some flexibility has to be built in, in case I get off of the itinerary. Thus eating while driving, can pick up some time! I when traveling don't hit any type of Chain Restaurant or Fast Food. I like to find the local unique dives to eat. At every gas stop, I ask the locals where to eat.

Washington DC is the only place that I don't know! I will be a complete rookie!

Luckily I am a history buff of Military, Air travel, Cars, etc. so I can glance at most Museum display cards to see if there is something that would be worth taking the time to read!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default I can usually convince anyone to let me in if pre-planned!

Originally Posted by Fawndeuce
I was fortunate enough to enjoy a dinner at the Heritage Center a couple of years back with the NCRS, we had unlimited access to the vehicles, a truly amazing collection
That being said, as mentioned it is not open to the general public, I would contact them to see if there are any visits being organized while you are there, maybe you could arrange to tag along.
Also don't miss the Henry Ford in Dearborn, way more than just a car museum, truly great, and the Walter P Chrysler museum is also very cool.

Paul
I actually did the Ford Dearborn thing with my Michigan Ford loving relatives. It is funny how different we are, even though related. I didn't think about the Mopar guys museum. Also cruising Woodward Drive would be cool also. I have never done that.

I might split these trips out. Do Indianapolis during the 500 and hit the Springfield thing, the Detroit Museums and such. The Corvette event/and I have never been to the Corvette Museum are mandatory and so is the Geneology! I could even separate out the Washington DC. Even though flying doesn't bother me, I still minimize my time in airplanes!

Somethings that I have to look up are like the Floyd Garrett Museum and what state that is in, maybe drop in Pro Team to visit to say I visited once and stuff like that. Nothing worse than driving right by something cool that I could have seen or visited. And naturally my funds are budgeted! If I end up buying all kinds of Corvette Stuff and Guns to ship back, then that could change the entire plan!

I spend a day and a half previously at Gettysburg. I don't think I will find one of those family Rifles from 1800's. So I would like to detail photograph any of the Flintlocks or Percussions in the Gettysburg museum that were built similarly with a dual action! In case I have to build my own replica! I wasn't aware of this rifle being associated with the family when I visited previously! So that can be a quick stop, if I don't get to talking or start giving tours spontaneously!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-18-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Yes I have seen that advertised and checked it out on the internet!

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
This may be a little out of the way for your itinerary, but since you expressed an interest in firearms and Gen. Patton, there is the Tank Museum located on the north side of Danville, VA, about 100 miles south of I-81.
http://www.aaftankmuseum.com/

It is kind of way down there all by itself? But it looks like a very high quality place. I am hoping to get my share of tanks from the Smithsonian and the George Patton visit. Out here in California we have a little quality George Patton museum that is a must stop if traveling between Arizona and California. We also off of Rosemead have an entire yard of Tanks of all Vintages that is not real well known just to the north of the 60 fwy. Then some of the other museums have some like the Chino Airport, and other museums out here. Always cool stuff.

All of these are cool suggestions! I try to throw in as much as possible, and usually have to rest up after all of my traveling adventures!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:17 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
The Simeone would be super cool. I see them bring cars to the Vintage races all of the time. Top prepared, some of the best examples of the Philadelphia is probably a 2 hour drive for me???? from Philly, the State Troopers would love to have me try that, I am sure! But realistically it is about 4 hours or more normally!
On the PA Turnpike, from Carlisle to the Simeone, takes about 2 hours. Now if your on RT 30, going trough York, Lancaster, Coatsville, Downingtown, etc., it takes a little longer, but it's still not 4 hours.

It's exactly 100 miles from the Carlisle exit of the PA Turnpike, to the Valley Forge exit, and it's about a half hour from Valley Forge to the Simeone (providing the Schuylkill Expressway isn't backed up). I'm about 25 miles east of Philadelphia, and I get to Carlisle in less than 3 hours, pulling a trailer full of parts.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:21 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Also anyone going special to PA for Carlisle!

Could make a whole entire vacation built just around Pennsylvania!

Between Carlisle, Gettysburg, Hershey, Valley Forge, Philly, etc. I could suggest a whole trip plan!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Yes I am a figgety driver! I have to stop and see stuff!

On the PA Turnpike, from Carlisle to the Simeone, takes about 2 hours. Now if your on RT 30, going trough York, Lancaster, Coatsville, Downingtown, etc., it takes a little longer, but it's still not 4 hours.

It's exactly 100 miles from the Carlisle exit of the PA Turnpike, to the Valley Forge exit, and it's about a half hour from Valley Forge to the Simeone (providing the Schuylkill Expressway isn't backed up). I'm about 25 miles east of Philadelphia, and I get to Carlisle in less than 3 hours, pulling a trailer full of parts.
Cutting across, I hit Salsburg (I think that is the right town) the old train yards, Antique Stores (non Amish), Gun shops, eating, Gas stops, Scenic turnouts, Caves, Old Forts, old Battle Grounds, etc. and such and then I have usually cut down thru going RT 30 so that trip has actually taken me more like 2 days to do. One time I stumbled onto an old house belonging to Daniel Boone, and then almost was arrest (detained only) at the nuclear power plant once that caused a delay on one trip. Homeland Security had to process me! OOPS! But The Sikorsky plant where my Brother worked was just outside of Coatsville! Don't go down in that City, he lived right on RT. 30 in an old Mansion just on the outskirts of Thoroughbred Horse country. It was still Coatsville, but what a blighted town. Factories shut down and no jobs available, which is so true around the entire country! But that is good to know, the timing-- if I just had to stick to the Turnpike! I will Google Map it in and check into the possibility! Thanks!

There is nothing like getting tips and recommendations from guys that are from these areas or are familiar with the travel routes!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-18-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:26 PM
vettedreamer50
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent 6 days in DC and can give you a little advice. Get a hotel with onsite parking and use the metro. You can buy a card and load it with a cash amount and you just waive it over the turnstile or bus token thingy. Driving isn't too bad in DC, but parking is tough. If you want a really nice hotel that is centrally located, I recommend the AKA White House. It is pricey though. If you are on a budget, the Best Western On Connecticut Ave is decent and cheap. Older, but freshly redone. It is about 4 miles from the action, but has a Metro station close by. For dining, go to Founding Farmers on PA Ave. It is a "farm to table" place, but not vegetarian. I had the Yankee Pot Roast and it was awesome. Get reservations now as its a hot spot in DC.
Hope this helps and have fun. Sounds like a fantastic trip. By the way, there isn't really a Smithsonian auto museum per se.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by vettedreamer50
I just spent 6 days in DC and can give you a little advice. Get a hotel with onsite parking and use the metro. You can buy a card and load it with a cash amount and you just waive it over the turnstile or bus token thingy. Driving isn't too bad in DC, but parking is tough. If you want a really nice hotel that is centrally located, I recommend the AKA White House. It is pricey though. If you are on a budget, the Best Western On Connecticut Ave is decent and cheap. Older, but freshly redone. It is about 4 miles from the action, but has a Metro station close by. For dining, go to Founding Farmers on PA Ave. It is a "farm to table" place, but not vegetarian. I had the Yankee Pot Roast and it was awesome. Get reservations now as its a hot spot in DC.
Hope this helps and have fun. Sounds like a fantastic trip. By the way, there isn't really a Smithsonian auto museum per se.
Yankee Pot Roast sounds just like what I would honestly order! Geographically correct sounding entrée dish! And I can ate at the bar! I do that in Vegas to avoid the lines, you walk to the front of the buffet lines, tell them you are a gambler and single for sitting at the bar, they seat you and then each one in your party does the same and you just act like long lost friend that just ran into each other by coincidence, when you discover the rest of your party at the bar! Also your White House suggestion sounds geographically correct also, but usually when I travel, the Hotel accomodations go to waste because I am out and about- constantly on the move- so I am more a clean bed/and get a shower type traveler! I might even have to do a night in the car or some sleep on the side of the road if I don't make the connections or it puts me back on plan. One time coming west from NYC city through Jersey, I hit so much road construction, the trip took forever- missed my check-in by hours and even though I called in advance to tell them I was still coming, they sold my room out from under me for the Carlisles weekend!

Best Western sounds good, I have stayed in some of those! I also do the transit in NYC and trains and stuff. I am like a native when it comes to navigation! (It must be the 10th generation back, recessive Native American Gene- Seneca Indian thing in the family history). No one will even have a clue that I am from California, as long as I don't get stupid and let it slip out!

The only thing I can't put on the travel agenda is Nuclear Power Plants!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 04-18-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 PM
bbxlr8
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
I will be making a big loop thru the eastern US with Carlisle thrown in. Probably flying into Chicago, get rental car! I have started paying for everything and booking my reservations! Any Corvette guy knowledge would be appreciated!

Start of Day 2
Travel
Into Butler Area PA geneology searching- half a day
Travel part of night
Start of Day 3
Into Bedford Area PA geneology searching- full day
Bedford Gun store to look for Flintlock/Percusion Rifles- Gun Shops/Antique Stores- need suggestions!
Start of Day 4
Into Carlisles for Corvette Event- 1-1/2 days (1964 Year-- my car year!) I am pretty familiar with the Carlisle Event, having attended the Corvette Shows in the past!
Gettysburg a few hours only to see what I didn't see the last time- a couple of hours
Looking for a Family Gunsmith made rifle (Ickes double percussion rifle!)
Travel early evening, part night
Start of Day 6
Smithonsian Museums mainly Auto, Military, Space and Flight- 1 full day
Start of Day 7
General visit to Washington DC- half a day
Heading back
That famous highway that runs thru several states diagonally! Hwy 81
(Stay night Knoxville)- Start of Day 8
The Underground Atomic Manhattan Project place (Secret City Oak Ridge, Tenn- 3 hours?. I have to map this out for either Day 7 or 8. Don't know much about this!
Travel
(Stay late afternoon/evening Nashville)- Start of Day 9
Corvette Museum Visit- 3 hours.
Mammoth Caves- 1 hour or so!
George Patton Museum- couple of hours/Fort Knox quick visit
Day 10
Back to turn in the rental and fly back!

I need ideas to fill in the travel. Places to eat, Museums, sites, etc.
I have done a number of these type of trips, and can nail down the timing within hours! I am pretty good at it! You guys remember my Monterey Reunion suggestions to all from last year!
WOW!! that's a REALLY full agenda. I Don't even know where to start...

DC is full of interesting stuff - you will not even scratch the surface here.
Evaluate the Air & Space ANNEX near the airport - Fantastic and underrated - highest on my list as a car/engine guy having done them all many times

Tenn/Kentucky - Corvette museum is great - even with recent event 3 hours is fine, but Mammoth cave is also excellent- but even the short tour will kill 1/2 of a day - been there done that.

The (Floyd?) muscle car museum in Pigeon Forge Sevierville is really good if you have the time (probably not)

Per other comment - I am local in PA and the Simeone in PHL near the airport is unbelievable for rare race cars. I travel for business and stop in any & every car museum I encounter in US & abroad. This is definitely under the radar. They let me in behind the ropes to photograph the GS when I was there (only one in the place one afternoon)

Detroit - the Henry Ford and Greenfield village is AWESOME and would be a must see on my list! He collected & exhibited everything (not just fords) & suspect that you would love it as a car person.

Last edited by bbxlr8; 04-20-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for Carlisle Trip later in the year?

Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

web site info for the AACA Museum at Hershey, PA. is: www.AACAMuseum.org THREE Tuckers were willed to them but I don't know if they're on display yet; a special building is being constructed to show-case them
Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

.. Probably flying into Chicago, get rental car! .

Um, even though Springfield is pretty dull, that is one seriously busy first day.

Chicago to Springfield is 3 hours, not counting getting off a plane and taking the shuttle to get a rental. Ohare is a nightmare sometimes.
Indy is another 3 hours from here.
Detroit could be 5 hours from Indy.

I think not.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

If you are flying into Chicago and heading east on I-80/90, stop off at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum in Auburn Indiana. Not too far off the interstate, and well worth it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for Carlisle Trip later in the year?