C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:38 AM
simple green
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearings

I need to replace a front wheel bearing, I noticed that the ones for Camaro/Firebird are much less expensive. They look similar in the pics. Are they the same?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 AM
jm22876
Advanced

Default not the same

They are not the same but they can be modified to work. Thats what I read on another post anyway. Try a search
Old 08-24-2008, 09:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The F-body hubs can be used with a little work. On the Vette, the hub uses 4 bolts and nuts to attach to the spindle. On the F-body, the hub flange has threaded holes and 4 bolts attach the hub. You will have to drill out the threaded holes on the F-body hub to allow the Vette bolts to pass thru. The only other difference IIRC, is the ABS reluctor hub. It may be different on the F-body hub asembly.

If you look at the sticky at the top of the section (C4 Tech Summary and FAQ) you can search thru ther to get part #'s and procedures.

With a bit of careful shopping, you should be able to find C4 hubs at reasonable prices. I got a Timken hub for my 87 for $167 from Rockauto.com They are US made and will withstand track days and autocross.

The cheapie "white-box" ones from the cahin parts stores are typically Chinese and may not last if you drive the car hard.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 AM
dchildress
Pro

Worked great for me!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...964&highlight=

Last edited by dchildress; 08-25-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the ABS reluctor ring the same?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,063 Posts

The F-body hubs work fine, including the ABS. I've been using them for years. Drill out the holes and go.

Btw...The old Timken hubs lasted quite awhile on the track (road course). Not the case anymore. My last two sets have lasted less than one (yes 1) day. In the Auto-x and RR section, others report the same results. Granted this is with R-compound tires and an aggressive suspension setup so if you're on street tires I'm sure you'll be fine. On the street I'd imagine they'll last for many years.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:26 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
The F-body hubs work fine, including the ABS. I've been using them for years. Drill out the holes and go.

How do the F-body parts hold up and how much? Are they made better or at least as good as stock?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:13 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

I have not priced out front bearings. What kind of savings are we talking about here by using F body fronts?

Drilling out a few threaded holes to make them through holes is no big deal.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 86PACER
I have not priced out front bearings. What kind of savings are we talking about here by using F body fronts?

Drilling out a few threaded holes to make them through holes is no big deal.
Depending on where you buy them from (ie Chevy vs AZ, etc), they tend to be $75 to $100 cheaper....each....ie $150 to $200/pair.

There's no real weight savings. We're talking a ounces at best.

On the street they'll hold up just fine. None of them hold up worth a damn on a road course with sticky tires. Gotta buy the new tapered aftermarket bearings for that
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Yes, I was referring to money savings.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 AM
dchildress
Pro

I only put in the passenger side and I run 275 Sumis on my 94. I push it pretty hard and the bearing has held up well so far. I would have agree with GS#007 that no stock replacement bearing would hold up well on a track with some gumballs on the rims.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,767 Likes on 944 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

What is a good low cost wheel bearing that can hold up to track use?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
On the street they'll hold up just fine. None of them hold up worth a damn on a road course with sticky tires. Gotta buy the new tapered aftermarket bearings for that
The tapered bearings are proving to be just as pathetic. Some forum members have ruined a set of them in two race weekends. I'm sticking wth the cheapest ones and calling them a wear item.

Found some on ebay - fronts $65e, rears $55e. If they give me three or four races then it's worth it, takes all of 20 min to change one.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 08-26-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM
rickneworleansla
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
The tapered bearings are proving to be just as pathetic. Some forum members have ruined a set of them in two race weekends. I'm sticking wth the cheapest ones and calling them a wear item.

Found some on ebay - fronts $65e, rears $55e. If they give me three or four races then it's worth it, takes all of 20 min to change one.
I've been contemplating whether I really need to spend the extra money on "performance" bearings when it's mostly a street and 1/4 mile car. It is my daily driver that gets driven fairly hard on the streets and may also get on a road course once or twice a year with street tires. If the cheaper bearings will hold up as long as the stock bearings I'd be willing to give them a try. Opinions? What ebay vendor?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 04:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
I've been contemplating whether I really need to spend the extra money on "performance" bearings when it's mostly a street and 1/4 mile car. It is my daily driver that gets driven fairly hard on the streets and may also get on a road course once or twice a year with street tires. If the cheaper bearings will hold up as long as the stock bearings I'd be willing to give them a try. Opinions? What ebay vendor?

Thanks
I've only just put the cheap-o one on last weekend, so it has one race on it (that I didn't finish due to an opti failure ) I had one of the WBI (wheel bearings, inc) parts on there, I'll have to check my receipt because I don't remember when I installed that one. I think it was last year, which would be about 30 track days. Hopefully I'm correct, as that's pretty good for a $65 bearing.

The ones I just bought were from Mac auto, I think they're ebay store is macautodiscounts or something. It's easy to find them, do a search on "corvette hubs" and they're the only place with the rears for $55. Free shipping on one bearing, too.

IMO, For a street car you'd be foolish to spend $200 on a "race" bearing.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:40 PM
ZumZum
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only just put the cheap-o one on last weekend, so it has one race on it (that I didn't finish due to an opti failure ) I had one of the WBI (wheel bearings, inc) parts on there, I'll have to check my receipt because I don't remember when I installed that one. I think it was last year, which would be about 30 track days. Hopefully I'm correct, as that's pretty good for a $65 bearing.

The ones I just bought were from Mac auto, I think they're ebay store is macautodiscounts or something. It's easy to find them, do a search on "corvette hubs" and they're the only place with the rears for $55. Free shipping on one bearing, too.

IMO, For a street car you'd be foolish to spend $200 on a "race" bearing.
Do you know who manufactures the Mac Auto bearings?
Old 08-27-2008, 12:24 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Damn, just PM'd someone that I was waiting for these to give them a try. Now...why waste the cash
Old 08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I have had good results with SKF bearings. front and rear.
sorry to hear all the hype about the tapered bearings is just hype.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZumZum
Do you know who manufactures the Mac Auto bearings?
They come from a company called PTC, they're in Ohio. The fronts say "made in USA" the rears say "made in China". Believe what you will.

Originally Posted by the blur
I have had good results with SKF bearings. front and rear.
sorry to hear all the hype about the tapered bearings is just hype.
This is only one case, and VanSteel has sent replacements. Don't give up hope, yet, but it's not looking good.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel bearings

Quick Reply: Wheel bearings