Northern California Northern California

New car lasted 45 minutes need a few parts. :{

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friends are friends, but they can drive their own cars. I have friends ask me all the time if they can drive my Z and I say no. They begin to ask again why not just around the block etc. and I'm like what didn't you understand about the word no. It just aint worth he headaches if something happens.

Last edited by briann510; 01-01-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:32 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

You guys have to realize I offered him the oppertunity. He will never have a car like this and I showed him why. No big deal. I will get the parts tomorrow and the issue will be resolved.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
tjea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Both good friends

Sounds like both are good friends.
I have only let a couple of people drive the car besides myself and never reset the TC or anything from base startup when they have driven it, even the friend of mine that has a competion license.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Mrs Cali Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by briann510
Friends are friends, but they can drive their own cars. I have friends ask me all the time if they can drive my Z and I say no. They begin to ask again why not just around the block etc. and I'm like what didn't you understand about the word no. It just aint worth he headaches if something happens.
Brian you have no idea how nice of a guy Teddy is and a car is a car it's not a human life. Real friends are very hard to find so a car is definetly not worth a friendship.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 PM
shalenss
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by teddyca
I have known the guy since we were 10. He is covering the damages. This car is not worth a close friend to me. Yes he is still my buddy
But no test driving the old lady..j/k
Old 01-01-2008, 10:57 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ms California C6
Brian you have no idea how nice of a guy Teddy is and a car is a car it's not a human life. Real friends are very hard to find so a car is definetly not worth a friendship.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ms California C6
Ive talked to Teddy before and know hes a very nice guy. Yes a car is not worth a friendship and my comment was only made saying I don't let my friends drive my cars and wasn't made meaning anything else towards Teddy..

Last edited by briann510; 01-02-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:52 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Ive talked to Teddy before and know hes a nice guy. And yes a car is not worth a friendship and thats why I
And I have your NOS kit. If you want it let me know either way. People are starting to take dibs on parts of it.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

That sounds great. I am scared to put NOS on a Z I might kill myself.

I'm going the S/C route with A&A's setup. After adding it all up and what id be paying for nitrous refills id pay for a supercharger setup in 3-4 years. I'm gonna do me a stroker motor since I don't wanna blow the stocker with the boost ill be running.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Wicked_Z06
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear Teddy... sheesh.

BTW, I have had no problems living with out T/C. People did it for years before it was invented, you just need to know how to handle the power.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
You guys have to realize I offered him the oppertunity. He will never have a car like this and I showed him why. No big deal. I will get the parts tomorrow and the issue will be resolved.
I've got a buddy who has let me drive every car he's ever bought and I've done the same. Most of these were sports or performance cars of some variety. Both of us have shown the respect to the other not to "bang second" with the other guy's car. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I trashed his pride and joy and he feels the same way. Back when I bought my LS1 Z28 I tried to get him to really nail the throttle, because the performance was pretty stellar for a stock Chevy, but he just wouldn't. Same thing when I drove his C4 Corvette. I just wouldn't hammer the throttle. I hope your pal learned a lesson from this. Don't cowboy other folks cars.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man Teddy, really sorry to hear this! And I'm sure your buddy is glad you're his friend, not a lot of the rest of us. Like you said: friends you can't replace. But I sure would have trouble keeping as cool of a head as you.

Ive talked to Teddy before and know hes a very nice guy. Yes a car is not worth a friendship and my comment was only made saying I don't let my friends drive my cars and wasn't made meaning anything else towards Teddy..
x2

I sold a diff to Tedd, good guy and very fair buyer.

Originally Posted by Wicked_Z06
Sorry to hear Teddy... sheesh.

BTW, I have had no problems living with out T/C. People did it for years before it was invented, you just need to know how to handle the power.

I had no TC on my ’99 Z/28 and daily drove it for 5.5 years. But ‘vettes are a little different animal. Personally I drive mine w/ everything off most the time too. Like a lot of other ppl that race their ‘vette a lot I find the TC/AH too intrusive. It comes in too early which causes an unsatisfactory driving experience, and when I do get a bit loose I find that I’m correcting before the car is, then the car adds its correction and the addtitive effect of both corrections is too much. I’ve heard a lot of “snap the other way” stories about Active Handling. I think some of it is just the nature of the car with the trans-axle weight at the rear that ppl like to blame on AH, and some of it is the “stacking” effect of driver + AH corrections.

All that being said, if anybody drives my car other than me it’s either:
  1. A co-driver at an AutoX when there is little/no risk of damage, and in that case they are a seasoned driver who has raced/owned similar cars.
  2. A very good friend who ALSO owns (or has driven extensively) a comparable car AND is capable of being financially responsible for anything that may happen and they get at least Active Handling on if not Traction Control on too.

On a similar note right now I have the keys to a housemate’s very well prepped FD RX7 and his daily driver E39 M5 while he’s back east for a month. He knows he can trust me with them though and I’d trust him w/ my cars.

Aaaaaaannnnnyway Teddy, I'd think VERY seriously about replacing the wheel bearings on whatever corners also had damaged wheels. C5 wheel bearings are known to be a weak link anyway (here's how they like to go: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...05136519594980 ) and a lot of guys replace them as preventative maintenance anyway. I don’t know how many miles and what kind of track use the car you bought has, but if it has much of either I’d look at replacing both fronts along with either of the rears if that’s where the impact was.

I know the last thing you want right now is somebody telling you to spend more $$$$ but honestly it’s worth it for safety. If you’re in a pinch I had one wheel bearing go bad before last winter so I just replaced both fronts as a safety precaution. I kept the good front I took off as a spare though and you’re more than welcome to it. Just keep in mind it has ~30k miles, about 2 dozen track days, and dozens and dozens of AutoXs w/ 315 front tires on it.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 01-10-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Quick Reply: New car lasted 45 minutes need a few parts. :{