C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaked Battery Question (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default None of my Delco batteries had the green eye but they ALL LEAKED

Originally Posted by jirasvet
Just one more tid bit of info. If anyone still has an ACDelco with a
Hydrometer(the green eye). Be extra concerned or get rid of it.
These style batteries are the ones that are most common of acid leak.
If your ACDelco battery has no hydrometer green eye than no worries.
Can't remember the year, but they did away with the green hydrometer
when they redesigned the batteries using a gel to make the battery more
environmental friendly and to do away with leaks. So if your ACDelco
has no green eye than you know you have the gel style battery.
Supposedly this new style battery is suppose to eliminate leak problems
like in the OP pics.
Even the replacement 78 battery in my Montana LEAKED. I wouldn't trust a Delco battery. BIGHANK
Old 10-29-2007, 02:24 PM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default call me the lucky one

Originally Posted by bighank
Even the replacement 78 battery in my Montana LEAKED. I wouldn't trust a Delco battery. BIGHANK
Frustrating to hear/read.
Well knock on wood. I have owned several Chevrolets with ACDelco batteries original and replacement.
Never experienced what most are describing on any of my vehicles.
I guess me and my corvette tech got fed a of lot from a parts rep
on the new style battery.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave68
You trashed a perfectly good AGM battery. AC Delco started using these leak and vibration-proof batteries in 2001 C5s. In fact, I still have my OEM battery and it's almost 6.5 years old. (still going strong)

As was mentioned, the 2004 and newer AC Delco batteries are of a significantly strengthened design and are more more resistent to leakage, compared to their 97-00 versions of lead acid batteries.
Well, back when all this talk was going on there was no discretion on exactly which OEM batteries were good and which were bad. Plus, I'm not too sure I'd put my money down to say that not one OEM battery used in the 2001 and beyond cars never leaked. I'm sure there were plenty of instances where they did for some reason.

$100 for peace of mind and insurance of 10 times that amount in damage was worth it to me ... even if there was a good chance the OEM battery would have been OK, but I certainly wasn't going to wait around and find out.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:27 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The post 2001 batteries may not leak but my OEM battery in the Vert (an 02) just died

I drove home from work one day and pulled into the garage. 20 mins later I tried to go out and it wouldn't start. It was totally dead. Not even the dreaded clicks from the relays. Tried everything but it just wouldn't play. I went Red Top.

The Camaro battery on the other hand was an old style leaker just like the one in the original post. Leaked on the tray but lucklily knowing the problems I caught it before it damaged the car.

I would say all those that have changed to AGM have made a smart move. With computers under the battery tray the risk is just too high.

Just out of interest I tried to get GM to pay for my Red Top as the OEM had died when the dealer was closed. The Tech at the dealer said, and I quote:

"You bought a Red Top. GM won't pay for that. It's a good battery". Read into that what you will.

I wouldn't buy another AC Delco battery.

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-02-2007 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:15 AM
idlingmike1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are leaking batteries commonplace in all years? I think I'm still on the original battery in my 04 in which case I would replace it as a preventative measure.

-M
Old 11-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by idlingmike1
Are leaking batteries commonplace in all years? I think I'm still on the original battery in my 04 in which case I would replace it as a preventative measure.

-M
Your 04 OEM battery is fine. Its a top post correct??? If it is, just keeep it. Its a totally different battery design.

BC
Old 11-02-2007, 11:22 PM
waterzap
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

AGM battery. That $50 or so extra is SO worth it. Enough things can go wrong with these cars. Why buy a $45,000 car, then quibble about spending $150 on a battery and dumping the original one. Go to Costco, get an Optima. If it dies, go back, get another one. When that one dies, go back again and get another one.... ad infinitum. They have a 3 year full replacement or something.

Dont care if the Optima longevity sucks...as long as it does not leak, will keep on taking them back. Costco is good about that. They probably just ship them back to Johnson Controls, so they know they need to make better batteries. Personally did that. So far so good this time. Takes 5 min to replace the battery, hours and lots of money to clean up the mess of a leaked batery.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Your 04 OEM battery is fine. Its a top post correct??? If it is, just keeep it. Its a totally different battery design.

BC
So what about the side mount OEM batteries in the 2001s and beyond? Are you saying the top post batteries are the good ones?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 AM
idlingmike1
Instructor

Thanks for the tip, but I decided to swap batteries with the relatively new Interstate from my daily

-M

BC
Old 11-03-2007, 08:47 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So what about the side mount OEM batteries in the 2001s and beyond? Are you saying the top post batteries are the good ones?
Yes, Side mounts can't leak if you don't have them
I've had some batteries (willard) that had a nasty habit of leaking out the caps so you should check for that too. that's why the AGM like optima & exide orbital are so good you can run them upside down and they won't leak
Old 11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I have never seen or heard of a 2004 OEM top post battery have any leakage issues.

I took the 2002 OEM AGM battery out of my ZO6 and installed it into my 98 coupe. It lasted 3 more years without any issues (total of 5 years) before it started to show its age and run down quickly. I feel confident that the AGMs are fine.

On a side note. the OEM battery in my 97 F150 is 11+ years old (Truck was buily in Nov 96) and still starts the truck when I ask it. It has been drained DEAD once and charged up just fine. The truck sits for weeks at a time and starts first time without fail

BC
Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 AM
jirasvet
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never seen or heard of a 2004 OEM top post battery have any leakage issues.

BC

You know how "rumors" get started on the internet.
I stumbled upon this statement that somebody made
C5’s because later C5’s used a gel-type battery that cannot leak, but I believe the problem resurfaced on ’04 or ’05 models again.
Here is the link:http://www.southerncarparts.com/info...hp?pages_id=14

If an ACDelco side post is a gel type like the Optima, what is the
difference?
Old 11-03-2007, 12:07 PM
lomoman
Advanced

Default shim batt terminal

Read a post, or info somewhere, that stated to place a brass washer between the terminal (post) and cable end. Apparently the terminal on some batteries is recessed from the batt case. When you tighten down the cable to the post, the case acts as a puller and pulls the post out to be flush with the case. This pulling of the post away from the factory manufactured position, causes the batt acid to find its way out around the disturbed terminal. That looks like what happened in the pic's posted with this thread. Makes sense that the brass washer would prevent any pulling action upon the terminal when installing the cable to the battery. Worth checking out.

Quick Reply: Leaked Battery Question (Pictures)