Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Automatic car wash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

Default Automatic car wash?

There are some automatic washes near by that have soft cloth, spinning cylinders to wash the sides of cars and a left-wheel track guide to push the cars along.

I am not concerned about paint scratches since cars come out unscratched.

I am concerned about the track guide damaging the left wheels.

Has anyone tried his C6 in a set up such as this?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be the first to say it...... ARE YOU FREAKING OUT OF YOUR CRAZY MIND!!!!

Seriously though........are you out of your freaking mind.....

Umm, will the lower cars like that fit on that track without hitting anything?? are those rims too wide for it??

Don't believe the "scratchless" BS, it's total crap and just marketing. Dont' buy into it.

I'm giving out waaaaay too many "warning" posts these days......
Somebody back me up.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM
bill bradford
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad idea. You will get fine swirl marks.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

For the Love of Zora,...Don't do it PERIOD
Old 11-03-2007, 12:47 AM
C5naples
Safety Car

"There are some automatic washes near by that have soft cloth, spinning cylinders to wash the sides of cars." If vehicle before your car was a pickup that just went through the mud those "soft cloth spinning cylinders" will be dragging dirt and small stones over your finish.
My friend bought a new C6 vert and the dealership told him not to take it through a car wash because of the track guides. I'm sorry but I can't remember if the reason was damage to the wheels or the bottom of the car. If you are physically unable to wash a car pay the neighbor's kid to do it.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:28 AM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoshVette
I'll be the first to say it...... ARE YOU FREAKING OUT OF YOUR CRAZY MIND!!!!

Seriously though........are you out of your freaking mind.....

Umm, will the lower cars like that fit on that track without hitting anything?? are those rims too wide for it??

Don't believe the "scratchless" BS, it's total crap and just marketing. Dont' buy into it.

Somebody back me up.
Yes sir. If you think car washes dont swirl your paint then you need some serious glasses.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:48 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a fan of those types of car washes at all. like others have said those brushes have dirt and things trapped in them from other cars and WILL scratch your paint.

has anyone used those touchless car washes? you know, the ones where you drive in the bay and the machine spins around you with all different kinds of funky colored soaps and water.

I've found them to be very good at getting the car clean, especially before a wax job or if you are in a hurry.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:55 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshVette
Somebody back me up.

‘Touch less’ carwash:
Touchless car washes today use Hydrofluoric acid as a first step and then an alkaline to neutralize the acid then high pressure water to wash cars. Hand washing is MUCH preferred, don’t use an automated car wash period, touch less or not, there are a variety of reasons: You should never, under any circumstances use a car wash that requires you to let another person drive your vehicle onto the ramps or into the wash, notice the disclaimer
“No responsibility for damage to customer’s vehicle.”

Local by-laws require car washes to re-claim or recycle water. This means they have two choices.
a) They can collect the water in tanks and pay to truck it away to a recycling centre.

b) They can filter and then recycle the water (dependant on how often the filters are cleaned/changed) will effect how much dirt content there is. Recycled meaning re-use the same water, which may include any road dirt/grit that is not filtered out is used to high-pressure (1,000PSI) wash your vehicle (somewhat similar to sandblasting) the final rinse is usually twice-filtered re-cycled water, this is to give the appearance of a clean surface on the vehicle.

c) To help clean the recycled water they use a chemical like Presidium Orthophosphate (TSP) and have the chemical formula Na3PO4. It is a highly water-soluble ionic salt. Solutions of it dissolved in water have an alkaline pH; this does a great job stripping your wax / sealant. TSP is generally not good for cleaning vehicles because it can corrode metal.

•To remove snow/sand/road dirt and grit without agitation (brushes etc) requires the use of very strong chemical cleaners.
•Probably the most important is that this type of automatic car wash use high-pressure water and strong alkaline detergent to clean vehicles that will strip the wax/polish
•You will also need to renew the vehicles sealant / wax to ensure the paint surface protection on a regular basis to counteract the effects of the harsh detergents.
•Also be aware of those that use ‘wheel guides’ as they will cause scratches / etching to the wheel surfaces, as many wash facilities will not accommodate either the tyre width or the clearance, thus causing sidewall damage
•Vehicle with lower than ‘standard’ suspension (Corvette C6 and other sports cars) should also be aware the wheel guides could cause body damage
•As an alternative especially in colder winter months I would suggest using a waterless vehicle cleaning product Optimum No Rinse (ONR)
•If you get a chance, attend a car wash / wax vendors symposiums where they give demonstrations of the different soap products that these type of facilities use, as a Chemical Engineer they scare me. You'll come away a convert to never using them again, on any vehicle.
(See also Acid and pH, Alkalinity, Hydrochloric Acid)
Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by PeterSG
There are some automatic washes near by that have soft cloth, spinning cylinders to wash the sides of cars and a left-wheel track guide to push the cars along.

I wouldn't use a track style car wash - the tires are too wide and the car is low. I use a touchless without a track, works great.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:50 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you cracked!? If you’re that lethargic that you don’t want to bathe your Vette, which I assumed you paid a lot of currency for, by hand than you don’t need to be the owner of one.

I don’t believe any one bothered to sit you down and enlighten in detail the love and responsibility you need to have to own a Vette. One thing you by no means ever do is take your Vette though an automated car wash, that’s just insane. Where is your sense of pride in ownership? To be able to wash a Vette with ones own hands and to feel the delicate curves and caress the paint of a true thoroughbred of the high speed world is to love life its self.

I think its time you relinquish your ownership of one of the optimum sports cars in the world and buy a Kia, that way you’ll have something that you can take through the automatic car wash.

But hey, what do I know, I’ve only lusted after the gorgeous lines and appreciated the tradition of the Corvette since I was nine.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by 69mako
Are you cracked!? If you’re that lethargic that you don’t want to bathe your Vette, which I assumed you paid a lot of currency for, by hand than you don’t need to be the owner of one.

I don’t believe any one bothered to sit you down and enlighten in detail the love and responsibility you need to have to own a Vette. One thing you by no means ever do is take your Vette though an automated car wash, that’s just insane. Where is your sense of pride in ownership? To be able to wash a Vette with ones own hands and to feel the delicate curves and caress the paint of a true thoroughbred of the high speed world is to love life its self.

I think its time you relinquish your ownership of one of the optimum sports cars in the world and buy a Kia, that way you’ll have something that you can take through the automatic car wash.

But hey, what do I know, I’ve only lusted after the gorgeous lines and appreciated the tradition of the Corvette since I was nine.
Yeah, next time it is -10 degrees C (that is 10 F in case you don't know how to convert!) you can come and wash my car for me, with pride.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

I think there is a message here. Don't do it!

Last edited by steve8; 11-03-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:56 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Never!

PART OF THE FUN IS CLEANING IT RIGHT!
Old 11-03-2007, 03:24 PM
03gtmustang
Instructor

Unfortunately too many people spend a good chunk of change on cars and dont even think twice about keeping them up properly.

As long as the water isnt frozen, I will gladly wash a car by hand.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks every one!

I appreciate all comments. I will clarify the purpose of my question.

I have owned and hand washed my several Corvettes for over 40 years. I have never used an automatic car wash.

The reason I posted the question was that a car wash operator told me that his facility accepts Vettes and Porches on its track and does not damage them. I was curious if you guys thought that he could be correct.

I will continue to accept my responsibility and also have the pleasure of hand washing my C6, C7s, & C8s.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad you could take some good ribbing Truth is I have washed my car when it was 28D F out side I hooked up the hose to the sink and let the hot water fly! When it came to drying the blue beast I drove her into the garage, where the space heater was hooked up and running, once inside I closed the door, let the garage heat up and finished the job You have to have passion to wash a Vette when it's that cold out

I'm just glad I have a truck as DD now so the blue beast can sleep the winter away
Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Glad you could take some good ribbing Truth is I have washed my car when it was 28D F out side I hooked up the hose to the sink and let the hot water fly! When it came to drying the blue beast I drove her into the garage, where the space heater was hooked up and running, once inside I closed the door, let the garage heat up and finished the job You have to have passion to wash a Vette when it's that cold out

I'm just glad I have a truck as DD now so the blue beast can sleep the winter away
Been there, done that!

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic car wash?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, me too, did mine once when 25 degrees out with very warm water, panel by panel and it turned out great and my hands actually stayed warm too.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I wouldn't use a track style car wash - the tires are too wide and the car is low. I use a touchless without a track, works great.

I never bother with the gas station car washes, even the no touch ones. It costs $10 for those, and for just $5 more I get a proper handwash done at a detail shop every Saturday morning in the winter months (my C5 is my daily driver, winter included). I find the touchless washes are useless anyhow, they don't get the dirt completely off the paint, they just get the first layer of dirt off, but if you look closely at the paint (especially a dark colored car) you can clearly see the car is not really clean at all.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:37 AM
OGC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Car Wash....Maybe?

Humm?....maybe, depending, Some of our Georgia folks have severe water restrictions and if you HAD to drive your Vette in the winter Snow and got ...GASP! SALT on it and had no other way, then Maybe a touchless where you just drive the car in.
OGC5

Quick Reply: Automatic car wash?