Shop Vac Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:58 PM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shop Vac Gasoline?

I saw this on the web. I decided to post this because information like this could lead to serious bodily harm or death.

"if you have a shop vac that is suitable for vacuuming up fluids it will NOT blow up. I have vacuumed kerosine, gsoline and a lot of other solvents and it will most certainly not blow up. Just do it outside or in a well ventilated area so you don't get nauseous. I think mythbusters even did an episode on this".

Unless you have an explosion proof shop vac or a 1 million dollar life insurance policy for your family to enjoy, NEVER use a standard shop vac on flammible materials. The act of vacuuming up gas creates a perfect air/fuel mixture. The open rotor on the motor provides the spark. Do I hear BOOM???
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Guess you didn't see that episode of Mythbusters. They had to work hard to get the thing to burn
Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I've owned a large ocean going gas powered boat as well as had a boat repair business. Google boat explosion. Same principal. Are you trying to say that gasoline being drawn into a tube and mixed with air and electrical spark nearby is safe? Explain your side.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:33 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used a shop vac for cleaning up small amounts of volatiles, never kept the thing running in a closed environment when I did it. The shop vacs that I have used the motor section and turbine are seperate and the exhaust gets ported away from the motor.
Anyways, a couple months ago Mythbusters got hold of this "Myth" and had to go thru some hoop jumping to get thie thing to flame.
I happen to have a boat, and have had others and I don't think its the same thing at all. On a boat a fuel leak can produce fumes which hang out in the bottom or motorwell and tend to flame of you get an open spark. Been there done that, seen several go up in the marina for just that reason. I use the blower on a timer for my boat to make sure no issues and open the motor cover first if its been a while.

Anyway, the issue is shop vacs and gas, I wouldn't try and suck up a gallon off the floor with the door closed, but would clear off a manifold spill with the doors open
Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 PM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I see your point. My shop vac has about a 15 gallon capacity. Lets say I start pulling gasoline into the holding tank through the suction tube. Remember, this suction tube has a mixture of gasoline, gasoline vapor and air. Now, I have an open faced motor about 6" away that naturally produces spark. I see your point. THIS IS PERFECTLY SAFE.
This is your story and you're sticking to it? What would the manufacturer say about vacuuming up flammible material with a non-explosion proof motor?
I suggest you quit now because your a little off on your point of view.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Get off your high horse there slick. I never said it was perfectly safe nor would I encourage anyone to do this. I merely point out that just because its flamable it isn't necessarily going to go thermal. It could, Yes. But not as easily as you might think. Thats all I got to say about it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:01 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't do it
Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure how you got that take on my post. I mearly pointed out that it was posted on the web that it was safe to use a shop vac to vacuum up gasoline. My point is that it is not safe and the manufactures of the equipment agree with me. I was worried that a newby would grab a shopvac, start vacuuming out gas per advise, and end up getting killed. My stand is that it is not safe to use a shop vac to remove gasoline from a fuel tank. I assume your belief is that it is OK? Can you please confirm....Yes or no....Is it OK to use a shop vac to remove gas from a fuel tank 6 footer????

If you say No....you agree with me.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by palamesa
Not sure how you got that take on my post. I mearly pointed out that it was posted on the web that it was safe to use a shop vac to vacuum up gasoline. My point is that it is not safe and the manufactures of the equipment agree with me. I was worried that a newby would grab a shopvac, start vacuuming out gas per advise, and end up getting killed. My stand is that it is not safe to use a shop vac to remove gasoline from a fuel tank. I assume your belief is that it is OK? Can you please confirm....Yes or no....Is it OK to use a shop vac to remove gas from a fuel tank 6 footer????

Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
kwplot34
Racer

Man do you ever get upset easy maybe you should calm down there a little, 6footer never said it was safe and that you should suck up gal's with it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 AM
dr1
Instructor

obviously if your sucking up spilled gas, you have problems anyways, so im sure none of it is particularly safe
tommorow im gonna go suck up some gas in my shop vac just because I read this, hows that, thanks for the safety tip

and if vacuums create the perfect air fuel mixture maybe we could all just replace our carbs with the dirt devil mini
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't think this issue has a grey area. I say it is completly unsafe to use a shop vac suck up gasoline. I believe that 6 Footer was in disagreement with me. I simply want clarification. I need to make sure that a Noob is not killed while using a shop vac to remove gas from the tank.
So lets start from scratch, if you feel that it is safe, please explain why.....Thank You...GP
Old 08-03-2007, 12:20 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Please keep in mind that I have already explained those crazy things such as pressurized air/fuel mixture and spark.........Can't wait to hear the other side!....gp
Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 AM
kwplot34
Racer

I think it is useless to discuss this with you at this moment, you dont have your listening on,and anything i say you will attack,just like you did 6 footer. so maybe when you are in a less agressive mood you will re-read the previous post's and see that nobody said that it was safe to suck your fuel tank dry with it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I was expecting a yes or no. How is that out of line? Please post your stand on the topic. Thank You. If I am wrong, it needs to be posted so accurate information can be passed on. Do you have a point of view that differs from mine? If so, please post it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:49 AM
James.70
Racer

Location: Show me a cold beer and I will show you a happy man Maryland

I mearly pointed out that it was posted on the web that it was safe to use a shop vac to vacuum up gasoline. My point is that it is not safe and the manufactures of the equipment agree with me. I was worried that a newby would grab a shopvac, start vacuuming out gas per advise, and end up getting killed. My stand is that it is not safe to use a shop vac to remove gasoline from a fuel tank. .
Yea, I would have to say that no matter what someone told me that I would not use a shop vac to vacume up gas (or any accelerant). The main reason though is not the obvious that is stated above. The reason that I wouldnt do it is that the majority of shop vacs on the market today are plastic, and one usually uses them to vacum saw, dust nails, and other stuff. When you take all these things and stir them all up they rub all over that plastic vacum container and they create, well, static.... It may be a one in a million chance that it will spark and explode but I dont like those odds. I saw that mythbusters and they did not look into static as a trigger as far as I remember. Anyway, if it seems like a bad idea it probably is....and if you use a vacum to suck up gas and it blows up, I have your sign.
("Funny thing about common sense is that it ain't so common" Will rogers)
Not trying to offend anyone, but I just dont think its a good idea.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:01 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

As much as I love the personal attacks, lets keep this topic based on facts. If you have data that shows it is safe to vacuum up gasoline with a shop vac, please post it. I'd say if you have an explosion proof motor, you could do it. Otherwise, my many years as a Mechanical/Industrial Engineer-Facilities Manager has been a waste of time. Let's say I know a little bit about flammable materials and safe handeling. If you choose to use a shop vac to suck fuel out of your tank, more power to you. I just thought you should be informed of the hazzards. If you choose to flame me, have some facts to back up your point of view.

Thank You....gp

Get notified of new replies

To Shop Vac Gasoline?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 AM
James.70
Racer

Location: Show me a cold beer and I will show you a happy man Maryland

As much as I love the personal attacks, lets keep this topic based on facts. If you have data that shows it is safe to vacuum up gasoline with a shop vac, please post it. I'd say if you have an explosion proof motor, you could do it. Otherwise, my many years as a Mechanical/Industrial Engineer-Facilities Manager has been a waste of time. Let's say I know a little bit about flammable materials and safe handeling. If you choose to use a shop vac to suck fuel out of your tank, more power to you. I just thought you should be informed of the hazzards. If you choose to flame me, have some facts to back up your point of view.

Thank You....gp
Dont get so upset, that is why people are giving you a hard time. I agree it is a none so bright use of a shop vac, and if you let people get to you they will go for blood

No worries
Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 AM
palamesa
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by James.70
Dont get so upset, that is why people are giving you a hard time. I agree it is a none so bright use of a shop vac, and if you let people get to you they will go for blood

No worries
I appreciate your concerns James. I was hoping for "I agree with you or I disagree with you and here is why"....The people who go for blood seldom have facts.
Lets get back on topic....I say it's not safe to use a shop vac to suck up gasoline. I just ask those who disagree with me to provide facts to back up their point of view other than "I did it once before and it didn't blow up". I usually know I'm right when I post facts and data and the other side posts "He's a Homo". Yes....that happend the last time.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Default To; Mr i do not have an original thought in my head.

I simply want clarification.
Well forum cop you just cant let it go can you.
Its obvious you haven't got an original thought in your head.

Where did you see this posted;THE OTHER BOARD

Who posted it:TWINTURBO

If you need to open a debate to build up your post count at least use an original idea,or better still quote the original author in full context,not spin it around to suit you.

Once again you have to bring the other board here you just cant let it go.

What is your problem with the other board,

wont they let you in?

As far as noobs go I'm a member here since November last year,i consider myself a noob so what does that make a member with four months under his belt.

Like i said before to one of your posts "Quiet a few of us live in perfect harmony" as members to both forums.

Btw ask any of the older members not "noobs" like you and me and im sure that most would agree that twinturbo has probably forgotten more about vettes than you and i together will ever learn.

Its obvious that you have to much time on your hands and use it to troll boards just to start confrontation.

Quick Reply: Shop Vac Gasoline?