C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

92-95 Z Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 93-95 Z Windshield

This is NOS - never installed, has about 5% delam around the top 95% delam free. This windshield is very nice. I will have it professionally crated, shipped & insured. I am in the prosess of cleaning out my basement for renovations and would like to get it out of the way. I will also have other items once I go through my collection of NOS stuff.

If interested contact me at kito@sympatico.ca

Last edited by TommyL; 04-08-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:42 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

ttt

Last edited by TommyL; 04-08-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:15 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

ttt
Old 04-08-2007, 11:30 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

If you are creating a new windshield why does it have delam
Just curious

Also I think forum rules require a price to be posted
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 382 Posts

Default ZR-1 windshield delamination

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
If you are crating a new windshield why does it have delam
Just curious...
All of the ZR-1 windshields are potentially subject to delamination, though not all do. It is related to how they were manufactured with the reflective layer. Not all delaminate, some do but don't for a long time, some delaminated right away. Some have very little, some have a lot. Itis not a safety issue, more a cosmetic one. And it is not related to exposure to the sun. One of the worst cases of delamination is on '95 #448, which other than a two minute parade from the plant to the Corvette Museum, has been indoors all its life.--Bob
Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 PM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
Also I think forum rules require a price to be posted
Just to let you know if you can find one of these in an OE in perfect condition you probably going to pay well over $4000. I had one installed a couple years ago in perfect condition and it took me over 9 months of hunting to find one in perfect condition. I found three that had delam and finally the fourth was perfect. By the time I got the moldings and weatherstrips I was in it right at $5000, that's if you want it perfect!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by SPEEDEMON
Just to let you know if you can find one of these in an OE in perfect condition you probably going to pay well over $4000. I had one installed a couple years ago in perfect condition and it took me over 9 months of hunting to find one in perfect condition. I found three that had delam and finally the fourth was perfect. By the time I got the moldings and weatherstrips I was in it right at $5000, that's if you want it perfect!
Understood. But the problem is that these were defective from the start. Every single one. And that defect was never fixed. So ALL of them can and likely will delam at some point in time, if they haven't already. And there is no trend on what affects it, or how long until it starts/stops. My 94 has 2-3% delam at the edges. When did it start? Who knows. Is it done, or in 20 years, will it get worse? Who knows.

If GM actually CARED about it's customers, especially those who spent 70K+ for a Vette, they'd have fixed it. They didn't. (sorry for that little rant, but that really disgusts me and accounts for current 'situations' of the US automakers)

Potential buyers (which might include me) need a reference point. So I guess that's where the desire for a posted price comes in.

Is the asking price worth it for a piece that has ZERO improvement (technically) over the one I/we have? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm sure every buyer has a price-point at which it is. That's again where the asking price comes in. Not too many of us will insult a seller with a $1000 offer on something he would like $3000 for. I know I certainly won't.

Did I mention that GM bites for doing this?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know there was such a thing as an NOS windshield. I thought all the windshields were OE.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
All of the ZR-1 windshields are potentially subject to delamination, though not all do. It is related to how they were manufactured with the reflective layer. Not all delaminate, some do but don't for a long time, some delaminated right away. Some have very little, some have a lot. Itis not a safety issue, more a cosmetic one. And it is not related to exposure to the sun. One of the worst cases of delamination is on '95 #448, which other than a two minute parade from the plant to the Corvette Museum, has been indoors all its life.--Bob
Ummm the original post said he was creating not crating
Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 PM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
I didn't know there was such a thing as an NOS windshield. I thought all the windshields were OE.
NOS stands for (New Old Stock)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 PM
VetBoyZR1
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought it meant non-original, as NOM is a non-original motor.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by VetBoyZR1
I thought it meant non-original, as NOM is a non-original motor.
No NOS is New Old Stock, Very common term.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:12 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Zethco
Understood. But the problem is that these were defective from the start. Every single one. And that defect was never fixed. So ALL of them can and likely will delam at some point in time, if they haven't already. And there is no trend on what affects it, or how long until it starts/stops. My 94 has 2-3% delam at the edges. When did it start? Who knows. Is it done, or in 20 years, will it get worse? Who knows.

If GM actually CARED about it's customers, especially those who spent 70K+ for a Vette, they'd have fixed it. They didn't. (sorry for that little rant, but that really disgusts me and accounts for current 'situations' of the US automakers)

Potential buyers (which might include me) need a reference point. So I guess that's where the desire for a posted price comes in.

Is the asking price worth it for a piece that has ZERO improvement (technically) over the one I/we have? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm sure every buyer has a price-point at which it is. That's again where the asking price comes in. Not too many of us will insult a seller with a $1000 offer on something he would like $3000 for. I know I certainly won't.

Did I mention that GM bites for doing this?

Errr.. Tell us how you really feel

I guess the General could replace all our windshield with standard C4 replacements that wont delamanate. But for some reason the first thing other owners notice is "wow original windshield" Delam and all. I dont know "Z" it kinda adds to the beast mystque. I sure was happy to see the "original" windshield when I first bought my car.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Id sell this car before I paid that kind of money for a windshield. Christ.

Dont quote me but Im pretty sure Mojo said UPS will not honor claims made on glass due to too many losses on their end. THink Kurt got hosed on his fiasco with one recently.

Last edited by cv67; 04-12-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Zethco
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Errr.. Tell us how you really feel

I guess the General could replace all our windshield with standard C4 replacements that wont delamanate. But for some reason the first thing other owners notice is "wow original windshield" Delam and all. I dont know "Z" it kinda adds to the beast mystque. I sure was happy to see the "original" windshield when I first bought my car.
I hear ya. My Z came with a little delam. Which I at first thought was just dirt. But I didn't care. Adds character.

My Yellow Lab (Snoop Doggy Dogg) has a broken ear. Doesn't flop like the other after the bad Vet chick cranked on it. But I think it makes him Snoop. Guess it's kinda the same thing.

Oh, and good point - I remember the thread with broken glass pics!

***** Sorry - this turned from a FS thread to a chat session. But if you posted a price none of us would be babbling!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Zethco
I hear ya. My Z came with a little delam. Which I at first thought was just dirt. But I didn't care. Adds character.

My Yellow Lab (Snoop Doggy Dogg) has a broken ear. Doesn't flop like the other after the bad Vet chick cranked on it. But I think it makes him Snoop. Guess it's kinda the same thing.

Oh, and good point - I remember the thread with broken glass pics!

***** Sorry - this turned from a FS thread to a chat session. But if you posted a price none of us would be babbling!!!
Without a doubt, but btw was a price ever posted???? All I saw was random figures out there!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

These windshields are becomming very rare and this was the last one available in Canada when I aquired it. The cost to me was $2,800 as such I would like to get around $2,000 for it. I did ship a windshield to California about 3 years ago and had it crated but the shipper. It arrived perfect with no damage, and carried insurance for the full amount. If there is no interest and I can locate a decient place to store this I will keep it.

Last edited by TommyL; 04-16-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

bump for me

Get notified of new replies

To 92-95 Z Windshield

Quick Reply: 92-95 Z Windshield