Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Hp #'s headers only

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
layjzay
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hp #'s headers only

Does any one have dyno #'s with headers only. I have only seen a 3 hp gain after adding headers to a z, and retuning, that had a tune already. I know LG states that the are getting 40hp but after seeing the dyno results from this Z I have a hard time believing that other mods were not done also to achieve those numbers.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by layjzay
Does any one have dyno #'s with headers only. I have only seen a 3 hp gain after adding headers to a z, and retuning, that had a tune already. I know LG states that the are getting 40hp but after seeing the dyno results from this Z I have a hard time believing that other mods were not done also to achieve those numbers.
Don't believe them......I was considering getting headers and tuner told me off the record that he has tuned 20 Z06's in the passed year. 8 added headers...he was only able to get a few (2-3hp at the most). some showed no hp increases. He recommended not to get any type of headers due to no real increase in performance and that the stock header were very good. Brand type made no difference. This came from someone who could have easily sold me a pair. Honest tuner...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh snap...not again
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
layjzay
Racer

Ok, what about air intakes? Does K&N get what they claim? (27.2) I have tested Halltech. Got no gains with the street filter and got 11 more hp with no filter.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:11 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Oh snap...not again part II
Old 04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
UBNZO6D
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 71 Posts

Had 461HP & 428TQ baseline...See sig...

Greg
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
A427MAN
Pro

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Oh snap...not again

Originally Posted by Myhardtop
Oh snap...not again part II

K&N Intake, LG Headers, and tune = ~500 rwhp!

Last edited by A427MAN; 04-12-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:49 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I only picked up 6 with headers and a tune but it felt like alot more. Revved freer. The Halltech filter did 14. By far the best investment.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Headers add at least 20rwhp and rwtrq, and over a broad range. When you add the tune, you get even more. This is a silly thread.

Do race cars have headers just to "look cool" or for 5hp?

Last edited by Mako7; 04-14-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:25 AM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the gains are really over the broad spectrum.... you will surely see a big different in the midrange with the headers
Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
layjzay
Racer

MId range (3000 rpm) 8 lbs of torque not noticeable when driving. Nothing like when you add headers to a regular C6. That was almost like adding NO
Old 04-13-2007, 05:08 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mako7
Header add at least 20rwhp and rwtrq, and over a broad range. When you add the tune, you get even more. This is a silly thread.

Do race cars have headers just to "look cool" or for 5hp?
Very true. But I think the whole problem here is that on the LS7, the factory manifolds are just really good. Ever look at the manifolds on a LS2? It's almost comical but you will hear alot of people say they are "pretty good". I had longtubes on my 05 Z51 coupe and I thought they added quite a bit. On my Z however I witnessed 5 more horsepower over my car with the same mods, same tuner, same dyno, just other car had headers and Corsa Sports. Thats hardly a great deal.
But if you like them, it doesn't matter. I like them too, I just won't splurge the dough to get them for that kind of return.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM
layjzay
Racer

Very little return and alot of exhaust noise from header.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:51 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So he still doesn't have a true answer.

There have been more than one posts showing a good CAI and a tune can produce 500 or near 500 HP, depending on who's doing the tuning and the dyno, now if this is your base numbers how much more will header improve over these base numbers is what I think he's looking for. I'm sure he's trying to evaluate his best bang for his buck, how many more HP can you expect from a set of $1,600 dollar headers.

I'm curious myself, still on the fence about headers.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 PM
kelp
Drifting

I posted my 1 7/8" LG pro vs base dynos overlapped somewhere in one of the posts. Any way, here's the answer you're looking for:

You'll get a shift to the left in your powerband equating to about 10 maybe 15 HP. It tapers off to zero difference at peak, sometimes it's less at the peak, and less over the peak. Well, fact is you accelerate up the torque curve.

Are you disappointed? Don't want to get headers now?

I've done a bunch of mods, and numbers don't seem to indicate the guts, feeling, and even smoothness.

Lastly, every manufacturer always says they're the best. Since I have LG's I think they are the best.
But it doesn't matter. Just get them, or you're just talking. Don't split hairs. There's been way too much of that.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbp8653
Very true. But I think the whole problem here is that on the LS7, the factory manifolds are just really good. Ever look at the manifolds on a LS2? It's almost comical but you will hear alot of people say they are "pretty good". I had longtubes on my 05 Z51 coupe and I thought they added quite a bit. On my Z however I witnessed 5 more horsepower over my car with the same mods, same tuner, same dyno, just other car had headers and Corsa Sports. Thats hardly a great deal.
But if you like them, it doesn't matter. I like them too, I just won't splurge the dough to get them for that kind of return.
All I can say is that you had some kind of weird problem. 5 hp gain for headers is crazy and no one would add that mod. There is a substantial difference between my car stock and now with headers, cats, tune and K & N. I will have a dyno soon (they are backed up 2 weeks and I am at the Long Beach GP this weekend).
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Jason from Katech could provide this info.

It seems that most tuners are saying you will get ~ 495 hp. give or take/on a dynojet with: headers, CAI, and a tune.

It's hard to get a breakdown on how much horsepower each component adds, as a stand alone.

I would like to see the individual numbers ... not the total cumative value.

Get notified of new replies

To Hp #'s headers only

Old 04-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Jason from Katech could provide this info.

As Jason has said many times....

IT DEPENDS ON WHOSE DYNO !!!!

And no, I don't mean the fact that different brand dynos read out differently, I mean it's very easy to manipulate the input data.

I was talking causally with my shop about my project car's expected HP on their dyno asking them what they thought it would be.

They asked me, "What do you want it to be? We can make it read anything."

We all know there are many products out there that claim more HP and have actually decreased it.

DYNOs are tuning tools.

Sorry to say it, but the Marketing people use them as measuring sticks and we buy into it big time, yes, we are suckers...The true race shops don't care what the readout is because it's irrelevant and the peak rating doesn't tell the entire story anyway.

Okay, addressing the original post which often many times gets swept under the rug here.......

If you guys really want live proof, here's what we can set up.

As you all know, my engine is set to be dynoed at Katech very shortly.
I am putting on KOOKs headers.

We start a fund to cover shipping costs of the headers to Katech and the Katech dyno time. If enough people committed it would probably cost everybody under $5.

We can control the run and measure with and without the KOOKS keeping everything else constant.

If we can pull this off, any extra dollars over and above the costs goes to a charity of the Forum's choice.

Okay....time to put up or shut up!

Mike
Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
As Jason has said many times....

IT DEPENDS ON WHOSE DYNO !!!!

And no, I don't mean the fact that different brand dynos read out differently, I mean it's very easy to manipulate the input data.

I was talking causally with my shop about my project car's expected HP on their dyno asking them what they thought it would be.

They asked me, "What do you want it to be? We can make it read anything."

We all know there are many products out there that claim more HP and have actually decreased it.

DYNOs are tuning tools.

Sorry to say it, but the Marketing people use them as measuring sticks and we buy into it big time, yes, we are suckers...The true race shops don't care what the readout is because it's irrelevant and the peak rating doesn't tell the entire story anyway.

Okay, addressing the original post which often many times gets swept under the rug here.......

If you guys really want live proof, here's what we can set up.

As you all know, my engine is set to be dynoed at Katech very shortly.
I am putting on KOOKs headers.

We start a fund to cover shipping costs of the headers to Katech and the Katech dyno time. If enough people committed it would probably cost everybody under $5.

We can control the run and measure with and without the KOOKS keeping everything else constant.

If we can pull this off, any extra dollars over and above the costs goes to a charity of the Forum's choice.

Okay....time to put up or shut up!

Mike

I'm in Mike. Just tell me where to send the $$. Even if the HP is very close it is throttle response and torque that matters in road racing.

Jim
Old 04-15-2007, 01:17 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
I'm in Mike. Just tell me where to send the $$. Even if the HP is very close it is throttle response and torque that matters in road racing.

Jim

Jim,

Let's see if this spurs any interest. We have people willing to spend thousands on Mods based on what they hear. This could be the best few bucks anyone ever spent.

Jason,

Would this be an unfair test based on my engine build?

If so I would gladly pitch in my share for a controlled test on another engine even though it's meaningless to me, I'd love to hear all the wild banter stop.

Mike

Quick Reply: [Z06] Hp #'s headers only