Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

USA SPEC PA-11 vette

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
whitehedr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default USA SPEC PA-11 vette

I bought and installed the PA-11 vette iPod interface from USA Spec. The installation could not have been easier. The hardest part of the install was working up the courage to actually use the force necessary to pop the plastic cover from the top storacge clip. Once that was off and it did take considerable force the rest was easy. The clips that hold the cover on are metal and are captured in a metal frame that is slotted. I worked my fingers under the lip of the cap and worked it loose. I did not know waht was used for the capture mechanism so I was pretty careful as I did not want to break anything. Once the cap was off I pulled the parpet free starting in the back corner and working towards the front of the car. I pulled the manual gas door release and door opener through the carpet as I was pulling it free. Once the carpet was pulled back I released the xm radio from its little tray. I then disconnected the cable from the radio. I then taped the individual blue data wire to the cable that is installed between the xm radio and the ipod interface. This wire is too long so I cut a chunk out of the middle to shorten it. I soldered the connection and put a piece of heat shrink over it. I then tucked the wire in behind the trim pieces and ran the cable to the area behind the driver seat. I tried to attach it to the carpet behind the seat with the hook portion of hook and loop fastener strip (velcro). Unfortunately that did not work very well so I am looking for a different way to secure the interface. I then ran the cable from the interface to the ipod by tucking it under plastic trim pieces. That cable is too short to be creative with so right now the ipod is resting on the emergency boot or on the passenger seat if I am solo.

I currently have the interface configured in the playlist mode. I am VERY disappointed with the way that mode works. The artist and song title are displayed but only for a brief time. You then get Px Txxxx displayed. The Px is the play list number and the Txxxx is the sung number in the playlist. You can not search for a song by artist or title. The transport controls are on the soft buttons of the display and do not have a lable on them. They have retained the channel number from the XM 1 setting on the radio. One button has the Px Txxxx on it because I pushed it and held it. The HU then transferred the Px Txxxx to the soft button. The bottom line is you need to remember what button does which function. That kinda sux if you ask me. I will prbably reconfigure the interface to direct mode and just control the iPod with its own controls.

Now for the good news. The unit sounds great. It does a very nice job of provding music from the iPod to the audio system of the car. I am VERY pleased with how it sounds.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the sound a 9
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the ease of installation a 10
On a scale of 1 to 10 I wpuld rate the user interface a 3.

Overall I would rate the unit a 7 out of 10.

It does sound good.

RWW
Old 03-23-2007, 12:01 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

This is how they all are teh stock radio just wasnt made to control an IPOD
Old 03-23-2007, 12:06 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

sometimes the better sound outweighs the bad functionality of the unit. Glad its working some what for ya Roger!
Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

I you buy the extended cable you can tuck the unit up into the area behind the XM radio and run the extended cable all the way up to the front.

Nice write up - you have made the C6 audio FAQ
Old 03-25-2007, 05:21 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

This unit works great for me. I have it installed with velcro behind the waterfall in my vert so that I can easily change the DIP switches to go from playlist mode to direct mode. For the money, it's the best unit out there.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fcal
This unit works great for me. I have it installed with velcro behind the waterfall in my vert so that I can easily change the DIP switches to go from playlist mode to direct mode. For the money, it's the best unit out there.

I've been having a problem with my '05 Nav - it will not recognize the XM and is useless 60% of the time. No soultions found yet.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Fast Fun
Pro

I just bought this unit from an eBay vendor for the price of $145.00 plus shipping of $9.99. This is the best price I have seen and this vendor allows you to make an offer. Delivery was quick, took 4 days. I just received the unit and it is in new and original packing. Anyone interested can visit this site, locate the correct unit, select it and then hit the "Make Offer" button. I offered the $145.00 and he accepted it within 10 minutes. Search on eBay for Integration-Solutions.

Last edited by Fast Fun; 03-28-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

don't want to be a pooper but I don't think you can post ebay links. Don't get me wrong I love to get a deal just like anyone else. But you might be better off just naming the vendor on ebay and let people find it themselves. They frown upon ebay links here. Just trying to cover your butt.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Fast Fun
Pro

Originally Posted by DPG
don't want to be a pooper but I don't think you can post ebay links. Don't get me wrong I love to get a deal just like anyone else. But you might be better off just naming the vendor on ebay and let people find it themselves. They frown upon ebay links here. Just trying to cover your butt.
What Link??
Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM
jason815
Intermediate

Default Sorry This is a double post but I need help

This is the unit I am refering to in the below post. can somone please help me?

I work at an online company which I will not mention the name of but what we sell is hardwired ipod connecters with full compatibility like track control from stereo bla bla bla Recently we got a piece for Corvettes and we have been selling a ton of them. Most of these Corvettes are pre run for a cd changer but some are not. The ones that are have easy install. The ones that have XM instead need an extra wire but are easy as well. But But but... the Vetts that are not pre run for a cd changer and do not have XM I do not know where to tell people to Look to hook it up. I have 14 customers wating now that neeed to know where to hook this up to. I am looking for the Auxillary imput that the cd changer cable would hook to...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Jason
Old 03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jason815
This is the unit I am refering to in the below post. can somone please help me?

I work at an online company which I will not mention the name of but what we sell is hardwired ipod connecters with full compatibility like track control from stereo bla bla bla Recently we got a piece for Corvettes and we have been selling a ton of them. Most of these Corvettes are pre run for a cd changer but some are not. The ones that are have easy install. The ones that have XM instead need an extra wire but are easy as well. But But but... the Vetts that are not pre run for a cd changer and do not have XM I do not know where to tell people to Look to hook it up. I have 14 customers wating now that neeed to know where to hook this up to. I am looking for the Auxillary imput that the cd changer cable would hook to...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME?

Jason

Jason,

I believe that they will need to buy the CD Changer cable and install it as per the instructions provided by GM (without the changer).
Old 03-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Fw190D9
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the USA SPEC PA11 vette in my 06 ZO6. I also was not impressed with the playlist mode and wanted more control of my music choices. I decided to run it in direct mode and control it from the ipod itself. However, I really did not want to repeatedly "cook" my ipod in the center console so I came up with a way to have it more accessible. I used some .035 sheet aluminum to make a small unobtrusive bracket that would hold the ipod in a more accessible location. I also did not want to drill any holes so I made it with a small tab that fits between the 2 panels and holds the ipod in position right next to the nav. This way I can choose particular songs or just play it in shuffle mode. I used my smaller ipod nano because it fits just perfectly between the start button and the nav. The sound quality with the USA SPEC is pretty good so far. At least as good as its gonna get with the stock bose system. Kinda sounds like the speakers are trying to produce sound from under a layer of mud. Future plans call for a clean sweep, steath cubbyhole sub, 5 channel amp and some better speakers while keeping the stock headunit. Here are some pics of the ipod mount:
Evan Q.
Attached Images   
Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
jason815
Intermediate

Default thanks steve

That will help. I am very surprised at how conflicting information is for the corvette. I am going to go test drive one and take it apart
Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

looks sweet bro... also fyi u do not need cleansweep to add an aftermarket amp in the vette the radio outputs a clean signal its talked about in the c6 faq feel free to pm me regarding if it u like
Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

I purchase the same interface for my 07 Z06. Do you have to access the back of the radio to do this install? I thought you just had to access the XM module. Everyone says this is so easy, did I miss somthing?
Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 PM
jason815
Intermediate

Default It is easy

Originally Posted by ken-rx
I purchase the same interface for my 07 Z06. Do you have to access the back of the radio to do this install? I thought you just had to access the XM module. Everyone says this is so easy, did I miss somthing?
Check and make sure that the product you purchased ended has the end cable that will connect directly into your factory XM tuner. This is supposed to be a very easy install. Try sending an email to support@usaspec.com and ask them any questions they have about the unit, I have found them to be helpfull at times...
Old 04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
VET4ROBERT
3rd Gear

Default usa spec

i had it installed, it worked for two weeks, then i lost xm band completely. i unplugged it from xm unit and then plugged back in, then it worked for another week or so. does any have any experience with this unit and having same problem?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:54 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

I found this one - http://www.kawal.net/corvettemods.htm
and ordered it for $40.

I can report back if it is a success. I see the USA SPEC sells for quite a bit more on Amazon.

I would pay whatever to get access to something in my car. The XM has never worked, even while I was paying them for 2 cars.
And I really love the things I can get on my IPhone, podcasts, youtube, pandora, etc..

Last edited by BRISLS1; 02-05-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:00 PM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

Just a quick note. This is working well. Whatever is playing on the phone comes out on the XM channel which is overridden.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To USA SPEC PA-11 vette

Quick Reply: USA SPEC PA-11 vette