C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Octanium results

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
bradb
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Default Octanium results

I was having my car ('05 MN6 F55) tuned by Jayson Cohen at Motorsports Technologies in Houston last Saturday. My car is virtually stock (Magnaflow weld-on mufflers and a Honker CAI) but I felt a tune could eliminate a "flat" feeling I had in the mid range, plus we could do a fan temperature change, eliminate the CAGS, etc.

Anyway, we do a wideband dyno pull to baseline the car. Notice the knock sensors are seeing detonation all through the pull and pulling timing 1 to 6 degrees to compensate. After Jayson did his "magic" we ran another couple of pulls to watch the knock sensor reaction and find it still is seeing a lot of knock. Jayson and I discussed what gas I run (pump 93 which has 10% ethanol in it here in Texas) and we decide to try adding some of the new Octanium that is available.

So, we put some in the tank, let the car idle about 20 minutes to be sure the lines are purged and the additive gas is being used and make another pull. The results were amazing.... NO knock, NO timing pulled. We did two more pulls to see if there was any difference and found no change.

This was about as scientific a test as you can do. Same car, same dyno, back-to-back pulls, sane temp and humidity, etc. If you guys with lots of mods are beating on your cars fairly often, I would recommend using this product. Yes, it adds about a $1 a gallon to your gas price, but that is cheap insurance in my book.

I know we have all seen the AutoZone versions of "Octane boosters" available, but this Octanium product is the real deal. If you ask about the story behind this product, you will find it is the result of a lot of work and investment by RACERS, not a chemical company. Current street gas is getting really bad and this product can be added to change that to our benefit. Too bad it isn't free!!!

I can scan my dyno sheets if you want, but all they show are the results of my tune not any data about the Octanium. Jayson got me 11 more rear wheel horspower and a much better throttle response. The car doesn't have the 'flat spot' it had before and I am totally satisfied.

Disclaimer: I am not a paid employee of any company mentioned. I am a guy who drives a C6, has raced and instructed for decades before 'retiring' from that hobby, so I am not a newbie by any means. I have no axes to grind, but thought some of you might like to know what happened and what the results were.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 AM
chemten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should try to find a station that doesn't have ethanol in it. most near me switched, but a few do not have it anymore.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by chemten
you should try to find a station that doesn't have ethanol in it. most near me switched, but a few do not have it anymore.
I live and work in the city and cannot find a station without ethanol. Seems like this is our future. <shrug>

My car is fine for daily driving and trips as I don't beat on it very often. But, if I was to do a track event or drag race, I'd use this product in a flash.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I think a lot of people will like this product when the word gets out.

Clicky
Old 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
snappy28
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

"• Comes in 32 oz. brushed aluminum container"

They need to sell this in something other than brushed aluminum containers and sell it for a few dollars less.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:01 PM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by snappy28
"• Comes in 32 oz. brushed aluminum container"
They need to sell this in something other than brushed aluminum containers and sell it for a few dollars less.
It is still cheap insurance and a product that works. That is worth a lot in my book. Pump gas + $1 a gallon is cheaper than $6/gallon race gas.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
sditch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there and saw it first hand, I even made Jayson show me the Tech2 to believe it was running the same timing. It's what I will be using when I go to the track and when spraying around town.......
Old 02-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Keep in mind, if you are local and I don't have to ship (and don't live by MTI), it is $17.95/bottle.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:47 PM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by sditch
I was there and saw it first hand, I even made Jayson show me the Tech2 to believe it was running the same timing. It's what I will be using when I go to the track and when spraying around town.......
<laughing> That was funny when you asked him to show you the Tech2! And, you are right about hitting the track... why not use something proven to work and it costs about as much as you'd spend on a hamburger and a couple of beers?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"Xcelacorp" this is the name on ebay under "octanium" description for sale.

who are they? where is their headquarters? when did the development and testing of this new Octanium take place?

who are the racers, tuners and scientists who came together to develop this product? any names that some of us would recognize?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:28 PM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I thought ethanol had a better resistance to preignition.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
bradb
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by LT4CompYell
"Xcelacorp" this is the name on ebay under "octanium" description for sale.

who are they? where is their headquarters? when did the development and testing of this new Octanium take place?

who are the racers, tuners and scientists who came together to develop this product? any names that some of us would recognize?
I don't know anything about the manufacturing corporation. If you are that investigative about it... JFGI.

The story about this was told to me by Jayson Cohen at Motorsports Technologies. He was one of the guys who sponosred the initial research. The group analyzed a number of the off the shelf products at a local testing lab (mass spectrometer kind of stuff). The lab found most of those were using kersone as the enhancer.

Anyway, that was where the product began. This was all done last year from what I gleaned from the conversation. I suggest you contact Jayson or David at Motorsports Technologies and ask them. All I can report is the results I saw on my car. Read the disclaimer on my original post.

Get notified of new replies

To Octanium results

Quick Reply: Octanium results