Notices
C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted C5 Corvette Performance Parts, Superchargers, Turbo Kits, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, OEM, Aftermarket

GM OEM colunm lock bypass kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 08:13 PM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default GM OEM colunm lock bypass kits

I installed a aftermarket bypass in my 98 a4 , then GM does the recall...SO,, I got the parts monger to give me the kit with out install. And , a few days ago he gave me another kit that was never installed.

SO,, I need to now if they will work as bypass kits, they have the relay, harness and i believe the colunm plate,,,,

if anyone know if the kit will do what a aftermarket kit does as far as bypass the lock,, I have two for sale.
when I find out, I will post in for sale. then the price will be 30 bucks

well, I know they work as byapss kits, but do they work as good as the aftermarket ones..OR should I keep one ..as a spare
Old 11-04-2006, 08:31 PM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take one.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:36 PM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wrustywrench
I installed a aftermarket bypass in my 98 a4 , then GM does the recall...SO,, I got the parts monger to give me the kit with out install. And , a few days ago he gave me another kit that was never installed.

SO,, I need to now if they will work as bypass kits, they have the relay, harness and i believe the colunm plate,,,,

if anyone know if the kit will do what a aftermarket kit does as far as bypass the lock,, I have two for sale.
when I find out, I will post in for sale. then the price will be 30 bucks

well, I know they work as byapss kits, but do they work as good as the aftermarket ones..OR should I keep one ..as a spare
As far I know the GM kit works as well as the aftermarket ones.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
SPIVET
Race Director

OK, I'm confused. I thought the GM recall service did not resolve the column lock issue indefinitely and that the problem would happen again given time, hence the need for the aftermarket CLB kit.

Am I missing something or is the new recall fix the same as purchasing an aftermarket CLB kit? And if so, how do you determine if you got this latest GM OEM CLB kit if your recall service was done?

Before I purchased my C5 I was told the recall service was done twice so that pretty much proves the first recall fix was insufficient. Am I in the clear now that it has been done a second time less than 6 months ago?

When I was checking for codes before purchasing the car I remember seeing that "Pull key...wat 10 seconds message" and read in one of the threads here that that is a sign the column is going to lock soon. WTH?

I'm seeing lots of conflicting information just on this site alone. Anyone have the REAL scoop?

Last edited by SPIVET; 11-04-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:06 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

SPIVET >> I've had 2 of the recalls done and neither lasted. GM took the K harness off, left the lock pin blank in, and I did a CLB
Old 11-05-2006, 07:02 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

I have had pm and a talk to my local GM tech tonight......I am a concerned that the kits do not work as well as the aftermarket bypass kits.

really dont want to sell sumthng that may leave a c5 owner stranded.... let me do sme more checking.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

An honorable move on your part Wrusty, I don't believe that GM really has any faith in their relays
Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by mrm1149
An honorable move on your part Wrusty, I don't believe that GM really has any faith in their relays

The K harnesses are the culprit. They have been known to fail over time. I did the same as mrm1149, I installed the CLB from Corvettes of Houston after GM left me stranded twice with their so called fix.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a friend of mine, who had taken his 04 Z06 in for some last minute warranty work, one being the column lock. BOTH the service writer, and the tech VERY strongly advised him NOT to have it done. They said the GM fix is a waste of time, and the "aftermarket" fixes are much more reliable. Pretty strong advice from a Chevy employee. My 00 has supposedly already had it done by the previous owner, but I still get the "Pull key, wait 10 seconds" message from time to time.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:19 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

CMYC5GO >> I also have an 00 Take the time to do the column bypass from someone like COH , it also eliminates the actuator from the equation........
Old 11-05-2006, 11:17 AM
ROCKnROLL
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

From the information I've gathered on this forum the problem with the GM kit is the relay.

There was something with the early kits (GM) where the relays (it was black or white) were cheap and didn't last long. Then the question on whether or not you should plug in the end that goes to the actuator?

There are a couple of guys on the forum that are very knowledgeable on the CLB and hopefully they will see this thread.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:29 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

the kit I have has the white relay......heard they are not the good ones.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I've had my Harness K in for about 2 years now. No problems at all.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:14 AM
billjoeu81
Intermediate

Need your input please....

I have had my 2000 '6 speed' Vette in 3 times for the column lock issue...

The last time they got me for $1000.00 to replace the BCM, plus towing! It's now only 5 months later and I got the old "pull key wait 10 sec." BULL CRAP again and today I can not get the car to go over the magic 2 miles per hour mark before it shuts the fuel pump off - AGAIN!

I'm considering getting an aftermarket version of the column lock bypass from Thunder Racing for 45.95 (unless someone knows of a better one?) and installing it myself.... As well as by passing the relay they installed by the BCM with a jumper wire!

Any other great ideas out there that could help out - short of going postal on the local Chev Service Center?

This really SUCKS!!!!

PS: I managed to get the BCM that came out of my car when they did the swap (Even though they didn't want to give it to me) - Does anyone know of a way or place I could send it to, to have it checked out??? I just have to question if the BCM was ever really bad???

Thank you guys for any help you may give!
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 AM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of the recalls have been accomplished on our 97 AND I installed the aftermarket CLB a couple months ago and I still get the dreaded "Pull key and wait 10 seconds" message nearly every time I turn the key. What a pain in the neck!
Old 01-25-2007, 07:29 AM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CMYC5GO
I picked up a friend of mine, who had taken his 04 Z06 in for some last minute warranty work, one being the column lock. BOTH the service writer, and the tech VERY strongly advised him NOT to have it done. They said the GM fix is a waste of time, and the "aftermarket" fixes are much more reliable. Pretty strong advice from a Chevy employee. My 00 has supposedly already had it done by the previous owner, but I still get the "Pull key, wait 10 seconds" message from time to time.
Best advice, anybody could get. Save the Wave.>George
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by wrustywrench
the kit I have has the white relay......heard they are not the good ones.
What is the part number of the kits you have?
The original Harness K kits were PN 88952427 and have a black relay. I have had one of these kits in my 2004 Z06 for 3 years now with no problems.
GM changed the part number to 89023816 before the last recall. These kits have white relays and seem to be more prone to premature failure of the relays.

If you do not have one of the original GM kits, the best combination seems to be remove the lockplate and replace it with the smaller turn signal cancelling cam in the kit, and use the aftermarket column lock bypass relay to satisfy the electrical requirements of the BCM. The reason I stayed with the GM version is because it keeps the actuator in the circuit to provide loading on the BCM and the aftermarket versions leave the actuator disconnected.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:51 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
What is the part number of the kits you have?
The original Harness K kits were PN 88952427 and have a black relay. I have had one of these kits in my 2004 Z06 for 3 years now with no problems.
GM changed the part number to 89023816 before the last recall. These kits have white relays and seem to be more prone to premature failure of the relays.

If you do not have one of the original GM kits, the best combination seems to be remove the lockplate and replace it with the smaller turn signal cancelling cam in the kit, and use the aftermarket column lock bypass relay to satisfy the electrical requirements of the BCM. The reason I stayed with the GM version is because it keeps the actuator in the circuit to provide loading on the BCM and the aftermarket versions leave the actuator disconnected.

Yes and no.

If you use the aftermarket kit, like from Thunder Racing, you don't have to replace the lockplate because the locking pin motor is dis-abled by the kit. You disconnect the lock motor when the pin is in the withdrawn position, then install the by-pass, which really only fools the BCM into thinking that the drive motor is still in the system, otherwise it would throw a fault code. So yes the actuator is disconnected, but the load, as you call it, comes from the replacement kit instead of the motor.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 AM
billjoeu81
Intermediate

Default Service Column Lock - Bypassed Relay

I just by-passed the my (Black) relay next to the BCM and eliminated the problem!

I opened the passenger side foot well under the carpet and removed the BCM, then located the recall mod relay (unplug it) and added a jumper wire between the white wire (that attached to relay pin #30) and the orange wire (that attached to relay pin #87).

(Making sure to identify the orange wire that connected to pin #87 because there are two orange wires that connect to the relay. You can see the numbers on the inside of the relay after you unplug it next to each pin)

I'll save the relay for a paper weight or something......
I then put the BCM back in its mounting location, put the foot well cover back on, and placed the floor mat back - done!

This was about a 10 minute procedure.

This was done after the steering column locking pin & motor was removed buy the Dealer on the recall!

Just for fun, I plugged my original BCM they had me replace (For $1,000.00) back in and it works just fine! Be real leery if you get the 'pull key wait 10 sec. / service column lock' warning and they tell you - that they have done all the recall repairs and that it still didn't fix that problem and now - you have to replace & pay for a new BCM.
Imagine that....

Well, anyway - I love my Corvette and all Corvettes (this is number 3)!
It's just too bad GM seems to have used a band aid for a permanent fix.

Get notified of new replies

To GM OEM colunm lock bypass kits

Quick Reply: GM OEM colunm lock bypass kits