C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Independent AFR "Eliminator" Dyno results...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:12 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Independent AFR "Eliminator" Dyno results...

As some of you may or may not know, AFR has been working hard at redesigning their already successful line of 23' SBC offerings. This effort wasn't a touch up of our former product....in fact they dont have a single common component between them. It was (and still is) a complete clean sheet of paper approach with our goals clearly being to set the bar for "bolt on" performance a few notches higher. With our current product being arguably at the top of the heap (for a mass produced cost effective bolt on) making large strides foward has certainly been a challenging task and while flowbench improvements with the new Eliminator heads have been very encouraging, the dyno is really the best tool at judging their effectiveness. While some of our in house preliminary testing has looked good I thought you guys would be more interested in some independent results recently conducted at American Speed in IL. The test engine was a 383 package that they build time and time again....always utilizing our 195 "street" heads for their cost effectiveness, repeatablilty, and proven solid results (it's basically a proven package that they sell). The bottom line is we started shipping the 180 and 195 Eliminator heads a few weeks ago so they happened to receive a set just as they were completing another one of their 383 engine packages they nicknamed the "Enforcer".

The dyno gragh tells the story better than I could....the improvement from the new port and chamber designs, extra airflow, and lightweight valvetrain components is incredible (especially at high RPM!).

Note that this is the new 195 Eliminator street head versus the former 195 street head (our Competition ported 195 Eliminator would have shown even stronger gains). Now as this is a completely new product, availability will be tight for awhile but if these types of gains mimic others (as they should), the wait will certainly be worth it. We are currently producing, shipping, and taking orders on 180 and 195 street heads (about an 8-10 week lead time) and will soon be taking orders on 195 Comp heads as well as both the street and Competrition ported 210's. We expect to ship the first wave of 195 Comp and 210 heads sometime in November so keep an eye out for further notice I will provide regarding the ability for us to process your order. Note that there are dealers with standing orders waiting for that day so if your interested it would be best to get your order in early. Our new larger race Eliminator heads are also in the works and will probably creep into the picture late in 06'....or sometime in January. I will keep you guys updated on our progress....also for you C4 guys (LT), note that we are waiting on the new LT castings from our foundry and should be producing the 180 and 195 street version of those shortly. LT production should catch up as we start to put the finishing touches on the larger race stuff later in the year and should follow more closely the availbility of the non LT products we produce.

Feel free to PM or call me if you have any questions....

Also, for those wanting a more in depth look into the new Eliminator product and some of the benefits these new heads can offer you make an attempt to pick up the fall Engine Masters issue for a very detailed look at the development, new parts, and othe cool stuff surrounding the new product line.

Here is a link to our website and a copy of the aricle but its not as clear or as easy to read as having the mag in hand (Walmart usually carries the Engine Master magazine btw).

http://www.airflowresearch.com/artic...le113/A-P1.htm

Exciting stuff for sure....you guys will be seeing alot more magazine coverage of the new product as the entire line-up starts to make itself more available in the months ahead....Chevy High should have something coming out shortly....and Car Craft a few ticks behind.

Tony Mamo
AFR Sales / R&D Mgr.
(818)890-0616 Ext. 109

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-06-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM
NY~FX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks nice, this is exactly the type of data I like to see,
will they be available for L98s and do you have a corresponding graph and engine spec - suggestions

BTW the link needs to be http://www.airflowresearch.com/artic...le113/A-P1.htm didnt work without www
Old 09-06-2006, 09:23 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd like to see that head dynoed on a stock (350) shortblock L98 with a fairly streetable cam, 215-228 intake duration. A LOT of people dump heads on stock shortblocks.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

Originally Posted by hippy
I'd like to see that head dynoed on a stock (350) shortblock L98 with a fairly streetable cam, 215-228 intake duration. A LOT of people dump heads on stock shortblocks.

I'd like to see the same as I am sizing up heads right now. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1487887

I'll voulenteer my car as the test subject......

Last edited by jsup; 09-06-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
johnnyevans
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to know how long one is going to have to WAIT to get a set of these heads.

From what I've heard, delivery is slower (snoozing) than the old 195s.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hippy

...and a dyno with a fuel injection system. Since you are selling these to C4 people 750 holley carbs are a bit (way the fk) out of the norm. Most C4 cars didn't come with this setup as a factory option.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Exciting stuff for sure....
Thanks for the update
Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NY~FX
looks nice, this is exactly the type of data I like to see,
will they be available for L98s and do you have a corresponding graph and engine spec - suggestions

BTW the link needs to be http://www.airflowresearch.com/artic...le113/A-P1.htm didnt work without www
Thanks alot....changing it right now
Old 09-06-2006, 11:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I assume the flange at the end of the head is for developement tools.

Are the heads a raised port design?
If so, what manifolds will/won't work.

If your going raised port, then why not got to an 18degree head and offer the appropriate manifolds.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Curveit
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new heads, and thanks for keeping us up on them. I know I've been waiting for news since you first informed us of the new ones. They sound like a "home run" to me. I was also impressed with the article in Engine Masters.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM
ScatStroker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnnyevans
I'd like to know how long one is going to have to WAIT to get a set of these heads.

From what I've heard, delivery is slower (snoozing) than the old 195s.

What makes you think it's any longer than their old heads? The fact is when the wrinkles get ironed out they'll be FASTER than AFR's older SBC heads due to the casting issues that were prevelant in the older series that slowed production and delivery.

Delivery is AFR's #1 complaint but is pretty easily remidied...

We've already received our first sets and will have more shortly. If you want a set of heads in a hurry why would you order them from AFR direct? When you place your order you're put in at the back of the line behind every other order, the longest leadtime. They have dealers that stock the heads and have ordered the heads for inventory (same as any other business.) If you want a set of heads faster than AFR's leadtime contact a STOCKING dealer (not a dropshipper) and you'll get your heads a lot faster, if not immediately. They have stocking dealers for a reason...

Brian
ADperformance

Last edited by ScatStroker; 09-07-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatStroker
If you want a set of heads faster than AFR's leadtime contact a STOCKING dealer (not a dropshipper) and you'll get your heads a lot faster, if not immediately. They have stocking dealers for a reason...

Brian
ADperformance
Hey Brian aka Eagle!

Bought a set of 1472's from you through the Corral, when I was a Ford 5.0 guy, lol...

Can you PM me a price on the new 195's? Thanks, Bob.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM
ScatStroker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Hey Brian aka Eagle!

Bought a set of 1472's from you through the Corral, when I was a Ford 5.0 guy, lol...

Can you PM me a price on the new 195's? Thanks, Bob.

Jumped to the Dark side, eh?

It's a small world sometimes...

Brian
Old 09-07-2006, 05:01 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

We are also 4 weeks away from moving into a brand new state of the art facility that is triple the size of our current location and will be much more efficient and organized due to its extremely well planned and perfectly executed lay-out.

Manufacturing capacity and turnaround will dramatically improve in the months ahead....but as Brian mentioned our dealers are always a better alternative for faster lead times.

Thanks...
Tony
Old 09-07-2006, 05:16 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I assume the flange at the end of the head is for developement tools.

Are the heads a raised port design?
If so, what manifolds will/won't work.

If your going raised port, then why not got to an 18degree head and offer the appropriate manifolds.
Heads have the exact same geometry as a stock late model factory L98 head...the only difference is we cheated the the exhaust ports up .100 (insignificant) for more flow (in the street 180/195 line-up). The 210's, 220's, and 227's are raised .375 for even better exhaust flow to compliment the stronger intake volume and flow. Most manifolds that will work with a stock head will able to be used with our new design....keep in mind an efficient manifod becomes more of a necessity with the higher flowing heads.

Tony

We normally market high flowing very optized heads that are still a straight bolt on performance piece. There is usually a lot less volume catering to the smaller niche markets (with raiseds runners and different valve angles etc. etc.).

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-07-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 PM
rel3rd
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ScatStroker
Jumped to the Dark side, eh?

It's a small world sometimes...

Brian
yes, it is.

I hope to be in touch soon. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
We are also 4 weeks away from moving into a brand new
state-of-the-art facility...
Congratulations on the move to the new facility.

New head designs and all the planning & work of a new facility - AFR
folks have been burning the midnight oil for a while, I am sure.

Are you able to say whether TPiS will be carrying the Eliminators
prepped in an L98-ready configuration (smaller chambers, ect) as I
believe they have done for the current and past AFR heads.

My guess is that the majority of AFR customers have forged flat or
raised dome pistons and need more chamber but as earlier posters
have suggested, those folks with OEM dished pistons are looking
to join the party, too.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:06 AM
Vetracr
Pro

Thanks Tony. Its refreshing to have a manufacturer, in this case the lead designer, fill in potential buyers on whats new and to relay information about availability. You guys remenber how long it was from the time MSD intro'd their new opti until it actually became available?

Having a set of the old 195's I only hope you've improved the oil drain back problem. It gave me fits before I was able to solve it.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To Independent AFR "Eliminator" Dyno results...

Quick Reply: Independent AFR "Eliminator" Dyno results...