C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Installed CAI, Headers & Exhaust

Old 06-25-2006, 01:08 AM
BodybyFisher
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Installed CAI, Headers & Exhaust

I am a new member here, I am Scotty/BodybyFisher from Caddyinfo.com.

My friend sent me this email:

Mike....Yesterday I took the Vette to Ramp Chevrolet for an oil change and roof recall...Ramp has a separate Corvette division which also does major GM approved performance modifications. They have a series of stages they do that modify the Vette for increased performance . I am looking at Stage 3 which includes a new high flow increased cold air intake, a stainless steel exhaust system and stainless steel headers. The exhaust includes high flow CATs, and performance exhaust tips. They claim Stage 3 adds about 70 hp at the engine...Cost is
$5000. I was thimking of doing Stage 3 because of the sound and ever since I was young always dreamed of a car with headers. All work keeps warranty intact and is DEC approved. Do you have any thoughts?

What do you guys think about this modification? Will it yield 70 HP? I have read about the header ping that some have observed along with the drone at highway speeds. My friend understands that this will be somewhat of a compromise, as the car will be louder, but the benefits will be more power and a meaner sound. The dealer is doing the work. Any issues, cautions, suggestions? This is an 06 Corvette. Thanks a lot for any help with this, Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 01:21 AM
achilds
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't get 70 hp at the rear wheels. Cold air intake is good for 10 and headers 25'ish. 5000 bucks is way to much. Calloway or Lingenfelter cold air intakes run 350 to 400 and you can install them your self in a couple of hours. Long tube headers with cats and x-pipe run 1500 to 2000 depending on whether you have them ceramic coated or not, install is about 400 to 500. So for less than 3000 bucks you can have headers and the intake. You can also have the car dyno tuned afterwards and not worry about any pinging, about 500 to 600 bucks. Oh yeah a stainless steel cat back system can be picked up for around a 1000 or you can go the Magnaflow 14336 muffler swap for about 300 installed. Even with these mods you should still be covered under your warranty at a mod friendly dealer. In short you will get something like 10 hp from the CAI, 25 from the headers and maybe 15 from the tune for a total of 50 hp or so and save about 1000 bucks.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:34 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Received 597 Likes on 453 Posts

Yeah! With the $5000.00. Headers average cost is $1600, CAI $400 and exhaust catback $1100, tune $500. So it's about $1400 for labor. Totaling $5000.

For start, the labor for headers in around $300, intake $100 and the catback should be free. You have a $1000 left. I don't know, man. What's up!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:42 AM
prs62
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Here's what is included in the Ramp package:
STAGE III:
(Includes Stage I& II)
(EST 75 HP GAIN)
1 DONALDSON BLACKWING AIR CLEANER
1 LOW RESTRICTION AIR CLEANER COUPLER
SPARK PLUG WIRES
CORSA SPORT EDITION EXHAUST WITH PRO SERIES 3.5" TIPS (MADE OF 304L STAINLESS STEEL)*
DYNATECH STAINLESS STEEL HEADERS, AND X-PIPE AND HIGH FLOW CATS
1 SET OF RAMPAGE PERFORMANCE DECALS (THREE INCLUDED)*

PACKAGE PRICE: $4899.00
additional performance programming available starting at $299.00
I agree with the previous posts that you can get these parts for under $3,500 so $1500+ for labor is high. Also, the Ramp package does not include a tune which will be needed.

If your friend is near Ramp he is also near Vette Doctors. I'd recommed he get a price from them for comparison before he lays out the money.

Last edited by prs62; 06-25-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:14 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the previous posts that you can get these parts for under $3,500 so $1500+ for labor is high. Also, the Ramp package does not include a tune which will be needed.

If your friend is near Ramp he is also near Vette Doctors. I'd recommed he get a price from them for comparison before he lays out the money.
The dealer install with what is agreed as a high labor rate has one advantage........installing dealer is responsible for any problems that an uninvolved dealer might deny warranty on !!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
BodybyFisher
8th Gear

Hey guys thanks for this information. Yes I do get the feeling also that this is expensive, and I do know that I can do it cheaper, but I would be on the hook, in this instance the DEALER is on the hook. This work is well within my capabilities.

What is meant by a 'TUNE"? Do you mean modifying the power curve (air/fuel ratio) in the ECM/PCM? Why is this important, because of the increased air flow and to take advantage of the increased air flow? Should this be something that we insist is done at RAMP or do you need a dyno to perform 'tunes'.

PRS62, THANK YOU for the details of the Stage 3 mod at RAMP, yes my friend and I live near RAMP and maybe we should consult with Vette Doctors.

Forgetting about the COST however, would you guys do this mod?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

Doesn't appear to be a warranty issue maybe a guarantee. Be patient, shop around a little more and save that money.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:05 PM
CBB
Racer

Originally Posted by prs62
Here's what is included in the Ramp package:
STAGE III:
(Includes Stage I& II)
(EST 75 HP GAIN)
1 DONALDSON BLACKWING AIR CLEANER
1 LOW RESTRICTION AIR CLEANER COUPLER
SPARK PLUG WIRES
CORSA SPORT EDITION EXHAUST WITH PRO SERIES 3.5" TIPS (MADE OF 304L STAINLESS STEEL)*
DYNATECH STAINLESS STEEL HEADERS, AND X-PIPE AND HIGH FLOW CATS
1 SET OF RAMPAGE PERFORMANCE DECALS (THREE INCLUDED)*

PACKAGE PRICE: $4899.00
additional performance programming available starting at $299.00

First off it seems a bit high. Secondly, were it me, I would not select a few of the items in that package as there are arguably better ones out there. I wouldn't even bother with the Blackwing, coupler, or the spark plug wires. The Blackwing breathes hot underhood air just as your stock intake does now. I would go with a cold air intake, or stick with stock if you are concerned about water ingestion.

Don't know much about the Dynatech headers, but the LGM and KOOKS have very good reputation. Not saying the Dynatechs are not good, just that there are other options out there.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:09 PM
prs62
Pro

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by BodybyFisher
...What is meant by a 'TUNE"? Do you mean modifying the power curve (air/fuel ratio) in the ECM/PCM? Why is this important, because of the increased air flow and to take advantage of the increased air flow? Should this be something that we insist is done at RAMP or do you need a dyno to perform 'tunes'.

PRS62, THANK YOU for the details of the Stage 3 mod at RAMP, yes my friend and I live near RAMP and maybe we should consult with Vette Doctors.

Forgetting about the COST however, would you guys do this mod?

Thanks, Mike
Yes, a tune will adjust the a/f and other parameters. Since with these mods your vette would be "breathing" better a tune would be needed to take full advantage of them. I believe that Ramp downloads a tune from HP Tuners. Same tune for everyone getting the stage III package. A tune on a dyno would be customized for your vette.

I was also talking to the guys at Ramp about the same package. They took me out for a nice ride on Rt 83 in an '05 with stage III installed. It sounds very good but since I wasn't driving I can't attest to the increase in power.

I would do this kind of mod; but, I agree with CBB that I would go with better components - Callaway Honker instead of Blackwing, and American Racing Headers instead of Dynatech - but there's probably not much difference either way.

Good luck whatever you choose.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:13 PM
1QWIKLT1
Instructor

$5K!!! That is ridiculous. For a couple $K more you can put a blower on there and add about 150-200 hp. If you're worried about the warranty throw a set of mufflers and a K&N on it for the sound a little better airflow and add a 100hp N20 kit which would be safe all day long on that motor. Have them change the plugs to one step colder and tune it for the N20 and the total would run you less than $2.5K installed. Would absolutely blow the doors off of any of their $5K cars.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:17 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fore58
Doesn't appear to be a warranty issue maybe a guarantee. Be patient, shop around a little more and save that money.
Agree on the high dealer price, but it could be a warranty issue as headers are being installed with high flow cats, which in itself could effect the emissions system.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Fore58
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Agree on the high dealer price, but it could be a warranty issue as headers are being installed with high flow cats, which in itself could effect the emissions system.
I guess it depends on the dealer regarding warranty issues. But you can see, they want the money. What I am questioning is the dealer warranting the installation and labor? How can you warranty the car when you already have it? No debate here, warranty issues were discussed intensively in other threads.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:46 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

I guess it depends on the dealer regarding warranty issues. But you can see, they want the money. What I am questioning is the dealer warranting the installation and labor? How can you warranty the car when you already have it? No debate here, warranty issues were discussed intensively in other threads.

The warranty is from GM, but the dealer services the warranty. A dealer can refuse warranty work if he believes GM will not pay him for it. This can happen and does happen with certain aftermarket parts that the dealer determines has voided a portion of the warranty.

Not saying it's right, but it happens and when it does the owner then has to go to the GM zone office and plead their case, which can open up a real can of worms.

Price aside, if the dealer installs a performance package, then he will typically stand by his install and not deny any warranty claim to GM.

Years ago you had dealers like, Yenko, Baldwin, Motion who really modded cars, including engine swaps. They would warranty their work along with any work that GM covered with the factory warranty. Conversely at that time, if you were to buy a new small block Camaro and stuff a big block in it, you would probably be viewed by a dealer as voiding whatever warranty the factory gave you.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:55 PM
BodybyFisher
8th Gear

I think the concern is, that if we do something that causes damage to the engine GM could void the warranty. We had a guy with a CTS-V do a K&N filter, did a "TUNE", removed the REV limiter and he blew his engine. Now I know that is an extreme example, but once engine damage is done, I suppose GM could point to something as simple as OIL on the MAF creating a LEAN condition from an aftermarket air filter, say like a K&N. GM/RAMP I suppose has tested their mods to ensure that they will not cause engine damage.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Fore58
Safety Car

I've never had a disputable case with GM warranty even if it was questionable. For instance, I had a Chevy Tahoe and the 3 year warranty had expired. The computer control became disfunctional. The cost to replace it was $1000. The dealer made a phone call to GM and attained an approval from them to replace the computer free of charge. Hence, there was no recall on this particular computer control. The dealer said that I was lucky. All in all, the majority of the members are not experiencing any difficulties from the dealers when it comes to warranty issues after installing aftermarket bolt ons.

By the way RBYCC, are you originally from Rehoboth Beach? I was born and raised in Berlin, Maryland.

Last edited by Fore58; 06-26-2006 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
RBYCC
Drifting

Default Off Thread

By the way RBYCC, are you originally from Rehoboth Beach? I was born and raised in Berlin, Maryland.
I'm a transplant from Philadelphia area, been here for about four years, actually considered the Tampa area first !!! Decided on Delaware because of low, low taxes.

You wouldn't recognize the area, last four years has shown tremendous growth, probably 15000 new homes. Property values on the water have increased by three to four times !!!

Berlin and Snow Hill have become "quaint" and very desirable places to visit and live.....guess when your born there things look different...
Old 06-26-2006, 03:51 PM
BodybyFisher
8th Gear

I am from the Philadelphia area originally also. West Phila, Havertown, Cardinal O'Hara and Haverford.. Going right by Rehoboth next week on my way to Virginia Beach..

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer Installed CAI, Headers & Exhaust

Old 06-26-2006, 04:52 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Be very carefull with "Dealer" Warranty. GM can tell the dealer to honor a Warranty but the Dealer cannot force GM to honor the Warranty. The only Warranty thats worth anything is from GM. The Dealer is not GM, he's an independent operator.

Nothing on the list of mods should void a Warranty but GM has the final say, not the Dealer. If the engine blows do you really think the Dealer is going to purchase and install a new motor if GM denies the replacement because of the mods?
Old 06-26-2006, 05:17 PM
RBYCC
Drifting

Default off thread

Originally Posted by BodybyFisher
I am from the Philadelphia area originally also. West Phila, Havertown, Cardinal O'Hara and Haverford.. Going right by Rehoboth next week on my way to Virginia Beach..
Where in West Philly?
What parish?
Me high school, Tommy More !
Born and raised in St Donato's parish, moved away when I got married in 1972.
Lived in Bryn Mawr, Haverford township for twenty seven years.
Scary, we might be related !!!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
BodybyFisher
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RBYCC
Where in West Philly?
What parish?
Me high school, Tommy More !
Born and raised in St Donato's parish, moved away when I got married in 1972.
Lived in Bryn Mawr, Haverford township for twenty seven years.
Scary, we might be related !!!
Wow, as I grade schooler I lived at 46th and Chester and then 47th and Chester in St Francis de Sales parish, I sang in their boys choir. I played basketball for O'Hara and we played St Thomas Moore! In Havertown I was in Sacred Heart parish and I lived near Steel Road and Eagle Road. Small world... I still go there to see my sisters and to have a good cheese steak and hoagie!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealer Installed CAI, Headers & Exhaust