Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Anyone Have Brake Issues At The Track or Elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:19 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone Have Brake Issues At The Track or Elsewhere?

Has anyone had any issues with the brakes on their C6Z at, or after running at, the track. I am finding reports of soft OEM pads, pad tapering, cracking rotors and boiling fluid.

This is both surprising and disturbing that these allegedly purpose built cars are suffering from these issues.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 AM
rangerob
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done two track days, and one Texas mile (braking from 170mph 3 times) with my Z06 and have had no problems with the stock pads and rotors. Of course I was not beating on my car either, but still they held up very will and are still on my car.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:54 AM
Exterminator
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rangerob
I've done two track days, and one Texas mile (braking from 170mph 3 times) with my Z06 and have had no problems with the stock pads and rotors. Of course I was not beating on my car either, but still they held up very will and are still on my car.

That's good to hear. I'm not planning on "beating" on my car either. Maybe a few dozen laps. No racing.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:01 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had one track event.8 20 minute sessions.This track not horrible on breaks.All I did was change the fluid to Motul 600.All else stock.I did follow Baer Brakes rotor seasoning process and pad bedding process.Did multiple slow downs from 95 to 45 and 120-80 approx.The brakes got very hot with no issues at all.I was very pleased.There are a few break threads on board with some good experience and some not so good.
Dan
Old 05-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You may notice a little squeaking initially with new pads. I haven't noticed any of the problems you've mentioned. Like Dan said, change to DOT 4 fluid and you're set. Driving styles also affect your wear and tear. You don't have to dive bomb into every corner, this car can be driven very smoothly!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Driving styles also affect your wear and tear. You don't have to dive bomb into every corner, this car can be driven very smoothly!
But dive bombing can be fun My big investment in my car is going to be me.I am doing driving schools.Have plans to do Spring Mountain as soon as I can.I think education can help to differentiate between gas/brakes/gears etc.I am sure it will help safety,wear and tear and better lap times.
Dan
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Has anyone had any issues with the brakes on their C6Z at, or after running at, the track. I am finding reports of soft OEM pads, pad tapering, cracking rotors and boiling fluid.

This is both surprising and disturbing that these allegedly purpose built cars are suffering from these issues.

I destroyed my pads/rotors in two 20 min. sessions at Motorsport Ranch. I replaced them with Brembos all the way around and have have not looked back, tracking the car 25-30 sessions since.
Brakes are one of the most important things for a track car and why not have the best (or at least 1 of the best) for a $70,000 + car
If you are ever in Dallas you are welcome to come by the shop for a test ride or better yet come on the weekend and you are welcome to join me at the track. A C6Z w. Brembos vs. stock is like comparing a 2004 Z06 to a C6Z.
btw We are an authorized Brembo Dealer and usually have a set in stock or can get them in less than a week

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cras
Authorized Lingenfelter Performance Dealer
Old 05-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pad taper is normal with stock pads.Change the fluid and try the stock pads for a couple of days on the track.They are not great but not bad either.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

I was at the track for the first time last Sunday. Boiled the stock brake fluid rather quickly, got a soft pedal. I'm going to drain, flush and refill with Motul 600 and perhaps try some carbotech pads. I'm not going to give up on the stock brake system just yet....
Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Heres what I've found through reading and observation

1. Brakes wear better in Comp mode or TC/AC "off"
2. The padlets last okay if you're not a hard braker in corners.
3. CarboTech grip but are noiser than a squeeling pig on the street.
4. You have to be very careful when changing out the stock pads. The
retaining bolts are very soft.
3. The OEM padlets are costly at $331 pre set

With 7700k miles and about 5 trackdays 25-30 30min sessions. I have replaced the stock pads due to wear. I placed on CarboTechs XP11 on the front only. So noisy my wife refused to ride in the car until I changed back to the OEM padlets. When removing the retaining bolts 2 striped in the torx head.

I also changed to Dot4 before hitting the track.

Last edited by BlaznZ06; 05-11-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

I have a Driver Education event tomorrow at Summit Point. First time with the C6Z06. Have done 8 other DE events in my 02Z06 at Summit, Pocono, Nashville Speedway. Had Hawk HP+ and used ATE Superblue. Never had a braking issue.
I changed out the brake fluid yesterday to ATE Superblue but left the stock padlets in (I do have Carbotech Panther+ padlets, but wanted to give the stock padlets a shot).
I'll post if any issues come up. Opinions or experiences welcome. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM
jlvink66
Pro

I ran my Z at Thunderhill Raceway with Motul 600 and XP10/XP11 Carbotechs. Top speeds about 130mph and no problems with my brakes. The Carbotechs give you very aggressive braking on the track, but you have to swap the stock ones back for the street; until they get hot they squeal like a stuck pig!

If you change the pads don't bother taking out all of those Torx head bolts because they strip. Just remove the two caliper bolts and pull the caliper off to replace the pads.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:03 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
IBrakes are one of the most important things for a track car and why not have the best (or at least 1 of the best) for a $70,000 + car.
Once you put Brembos on the car, is it not closer to an $80,000 car?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jlvink66
IIf you change the pads don't bother taking out all of those Torx head bolts because they strip. Just remove the two caliper bolts and pull the caliper off to replace the pads.
Thats what I will do from now on!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you keep the stock calipers and just changed out to Brembo rotors?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Once you put Brembos on the car, is it not closer to an $80,000 car?
Stupid reply. What does $70,000+ mean?
Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

First off that can and does happen to any car, I chased a bad driver in a GT-3 around the ring, his fluid was boiling and rotors smoking, mine were fine on C5 sliding calipers, he tried to blame the car to his friends. The FAQ has post on brakes, lots of links and info.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Have Brake Issues At The Track or Elsewhere?

Old 05-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

After two track events at LimeRock my brakes were done. The dealer replace the rotors (under warranty) and said they were warped (I know, I know, it's most likely compound unevenly distributed).

At the end of last weekend (Friday at Pocono IR and Monday at Watkins Glen) my brakes were definitely fading.

I've seen too many accidents because of brake failure, so I'm now looking to replace my brakes with the best available, ideally carbon ceramic. If anyone knows of a good (or even better a great) set, let me know. Thank you.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:03 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Movit.de is the only company I know of that could maybe do CC brakes for you.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:17 PM
TheJimer
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by outnumbered
But dive bombing can be fun My big investment in my car is going to be me.I am doing driving schools.Have plans to do Spring Mountain as soon as I can.I think education can help to differentiate between gas/brakes/gears etc.I am sure it will help safety,wear and tear and better lap times.
Dan
Dan,

I totally agree with you! Spring Mountain, Level 1 was an equivalent to a 5 grand mod for me but I feel it was money well invested and I am planning on attending their Level 2 this winter.

While at S.M for my 3 day level 1, I had exclusive use of a new yellow C6Z with 3100 miles on it (I would estimate that 99% of those miles are track miles) and the rotors did not show any signs of cracking nor did I experience any brake fade. The mechanic claimed that pads had not been changed on that car. The only noticeable difference I could discern between the brakes on the S.M “Z” and mine is; the S.M brakes squealed while mine are still silent at 3000 miles!

Save the Wave

Jim

Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone Have Brake Issues At The Track or Elsewhere?