Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any cold air intakes out yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:18 AM
Icebourg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any cold air intakes out yet?

Any air intakes out for the 06 Z?

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

The one that came with the car is pretty darn good, plus you don't have to worry about hydrolock.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
quick vette
Instructor

Default Z06

looked around myself,could not find one,called lpe,said intake was already great.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:58 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Ya I saw one on Mid America Motor Works website..

Made by Vortex I think..

Looks good.. I wish they had air filters instead of haveing to buy the whole intake..

Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Z06Doc
Racer

I'm worried about water intrusion particularly because of the nose scoop, so I'm going with a low restriction air filter. I called K&N a few weeks back and there's no filter for the C6 Z06 yet. However, if they receive enough email requests they'll probably manufacture one.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:20 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z06Doc
I'm worried about water intrusion particularly because of the nose scoop, so I'm going with a low restriction air filter. I called K&N a few weeks back and there's no filter for the C6 Z06 yet. However, if they receive enough email requests they'll probably manufacture one.

The Vortex one says you don't have to worry about water unless you go through it at high speeds...

Do you have the e-mail ?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes I wonder why we always want to do mods when we don't even know all the downsides to them. I've done many myself and while I've attained big big power and there has definitely been a trade off in reliability and conveinience for servicing. After a blower is in, try getting service from a dealer on any powertrain cmpt or even the a/c (I got charged extra to chg compressor because the blower had to be taken off--unbolted). I guess from the C5 experience we all assume that GM held back on the power, BUT we don't always know why built a cmpt a certain way even though they could have built so as to oncrease HP. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:28 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Default Here you go ....

Here is a link from the MAMW website..

http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=7.12.6938

http://content.madirect.com/pdf/628065.pdf

There is a thing that shows a screen you take out.. Not sure about that yet.. But hopefully the experts can tell more..

Old 01-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Z06Doc
Racer

No, sorry Louie I don't, but it's available on their website. Just go throught the year, make, and model entry process and it will come up.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 AM
louieT
Melting Slicks

No, sorry Louie I don't, but it's available on their website. Just go throught the year, make, and model entry process and it will come up.

Cool.....
Old 01-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Icebourg
Any air intakes out for the 06 Z?

Thanks!
If you have a C6 Z06, you have cold air already. In fact, our testing shows that the amount of forced air that is directed into the AIS hooded shroud requires that the gasket sealing it to the front bumper NOT be removed. When the gasket is removed, the forced air actually causes severe turbulence at the mouth of the Donaldson PowerCore filter, which promotes severe bucking and surging at very low throttle postitions, especially in fifth and sixth gear.

If you take a trouble light and put it on the end of the AIS, partially close the hood, then shut off the lights in your shop, you can see the light coming through the NACA duct on the front fascia.

IT WORKS.

The methodology here was to provide extreme volumes of forced air into the AIS vestibule, but not directly into the filter itself. The hooded shroud around the AIS protects the filter from airflow turbulence and water. When airflow comes in the NACA ducting it flows over the hooded shroud and is then pulled up into the filter itself.

We are testing a High Flow version of this filter and will have one ready for the market in about 2 months when our testing is finished. We now have two full months of testing and have come to the conclusion that GM's stock AIS is a winner. It outflows our C6 Stinger SSM by 4%, but that is when compared to the intregal C6 screened MAF sensor vs. the Hitachi Probe MAF sensor.

The new Hitachi Probe MAF sensor is sooooooo sensitive to turbulence, that GM had to work on the MAF location, calibration, and filter design for months before getting it all right.

I have not tested the bottom breathers yet, but it will be a challenge to get them to work in this application.

There is no sales pitch here, since we are not considering using the Stinger on the Z06, when their present design mandates a complete re-engineering of our efforts.

More information: http://www.corvettels7.com/products/intake_systems.html

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 01-14-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:51 PM
jlvink66
Pro

Thanks for the informative post Jim.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM
wotz06
Instructor

cool info, sticky anyone?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:49 PM
louieT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
If you have a C6 Z06, you have cold air already. In fact, our testing shows that the amount of forced air that is directed into the AIS hooded shroud requires that the gasket sealing it to the front bumper NOT be removed. When the gasket is removed, the forced air actually causes severe turbulence at the mouth of the Donaldson PowerCore filter, which promotes severe bucking and surging at very low throttle postitions, especially in fifth and sixth gear.

If you take a trouble light and put it on the end of the AIS, partially close the hood, then shut off the lights in your shop, you can see the light coming through the NACA duct on the front fascia.

IT WORKS.

The methodology here was to provide extreme volumes of forced air into the AIS vestibule, but not directly into the filter itself. The hooded shroud around the AIS protects the filter from airflow turbulence and water. When airflow comes in the NACA ducting it flows over the hooded shroud and is then pulled up into the filter itself.

We are testing a High Flow version of this filter and will have one ready for the market in about 2 months when our testing is finished. We now have two full months of testing and have come to the conclusion that GM's stock AIS is a winner. It outflows our C6 Stinger SSM by 4%, but that is when compared to the intregal C6 screened MAF sensor vs. the Hitachi Probe MAF sensor.

The new Hitachi Probe MAF sensor is sooooooo sensitive to turbulence, that GM had to work on the MAF location, calibration, and filter design for months before getting it all right.
I have not tested the bottom breathers yet, but it will be a challenge to get them to work in this application.

There is no sales pitch here, since we are not considering using the Stinger on the Z06, when their present design mandates a complete re-engineering of our efforts.
Jim

Sorry I am confused...

I went to the site but you can't purchase anything or really understand what it is. Sorry for my daaaaa confusion..

Is that a filter or intake sytem or both. I would love just a filter but no one seems to find the benifit in producing one..

Old 01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Jim

Thanks for the valuable info.

If I understand your explanation correctly, the stock cold air induction system works quite well, but could be improved with the addition of a lower restriction air filter (which is currently in development). Is that correct? Sorry to be an ignoramus, but you lost me with some of the acronyms (AIS, NACA). Thanks
Old 01-14-2006, 08:33 PM
dgdoc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

A few weeks ago I tested my Z06 at Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg, MD on a Superflow Dyno. Found that the difference between having the air cleaner element in vs. out was 8 RWHP (at 6500RPM). Therefore, using the stock intake, it appears this is the theoretical max anyone is going to be able to achieve by changing or redesigning the element.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Jim

Thanks for the valuable info.

If I understand your explanation correctly, the stock cold air induction system works quite well, but could be improved with the addition of a lower restriction air filter (which is currently in development). Is that correct? Sorry to be an ignoramus, but you lost me with some of the acronyms (AIS, NACA). Thanks
AIS- Air Intake System

You are correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Any cold air intakes out yet?

Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dgdoc
A few weeks ago I tested my Z06 at Tony's Corvette in Gaithersburg, MD on a Superflow Dyno. Found that the difference between having the air cleaner element in vs. out was 8 RWHP (at 6500RPM). Therefore, using the stock intake, it appears this is the theoretical max anyone is going to be able to achieve by changing or redesigning the element.
Nice try, but taking the air filter out of the stock airbox has always been a very poor way of determining ultimate airflow. This is the same as taking the headers off the heads and dyno testing.

The stock Donaldson PowerCore filter is no more restrictive than a filter 3 times its size. It has nanofiber filtration technology that has 20+ patents pending, and is by far the best filter ever made for the Corvette. It NEVER needs replacing, and outflows even our Stinger SSM, which has 260 sq. inches of filter media.

Part of the reason it works so well is the straight-through design which helps to create smoother flow to the Hitachi Mass Airflow sensor. Trying to remove the filter to gain flow, eliminates the restriction by 100%, but will enrich the air fuel mixture way beyond factory settings, negating gains created by the loss of restriction.

Ask Tony what the air fuel ratio was on that pull. It should have gone to the South side of 11:1

Good information though, his numbers square with our numbers on our Z06 as well, but more power will be available with the right filter. I will post some of our dynos later.

Lou G. tested our Stinger on his C6 last year, and got 4 more RWHP with the Stinger AIS on the motor than the C6 AIS system with the filters removed altogether.

What is truly amazing, is that the C6 AIS is the worst design ever developed by GM, with proven turbulence technology having airflow directed in a head on collision, then making a 90 degree turn at that tornado. The LS7 AIS, on the otherhand is the finest design ever made by GM, with more engineering and testing than ever before. I consider their new unit a 9 out of 10. Very little improvement can be made over it's design, except for a few areas.

Here are the results from Donaldson Company comparing the C6 Base car vs. the LS7 vs. the Stinger. Low restriction is better.

http://www.corvettec5.com/store/mainco1.gif

Last edited by Halltech; 01-14-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Z06Doc
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Hall
AIS- Air Intake System

You are correct.
Jim

I'm impressed with your AIS comparison testing and I'm looking forward to the debut of the low restriction Z06 airfilter. I gather its called the Z06 PowerCore, made in collaboration with Donaldson. I trust you'll keep us informed regarding availability. Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:40 PM
Luweegy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I understand you guys. Leave it alone and wait for new filter element.Would changing the rubber plenium with a smooth one do any good? Or do the bellows create needed turbulance?
Tom

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any cold air intakes out yet?