Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

3rd coat of Rejex..... WOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I didn't get the response in time and I Rejexed the flat black finish... we'll see. The rest of the car looks great but it's dark now.

It took me about 2.5 hours to do the whole thing, which leads me to say that the Zaino guys with their 5 coats in one day are a little loony and have a lot of free time, shine or not.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
Does Rejex make everything shiny? For ex., if I apply to it the matte black finish on the windshield supports does it take away the matte and replace with shine? Should I avoid that area?
NO, Rejex will stain your trim. This is one of the reasons I will not use it. That and the fact that with 30% solvent it cannot be layered.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vette ruminator
Well, I didn't get the response in time and I Rejexed the flat black finish... we'll see. The rest of the car looks great but it's dark now.

It took me about 2.5 hours to do the whole thing, which leads me to say that the Zaino guys with their 5 coats in one day are a little loony and have a lot of free time, shine or not.
Post some Pics
Old 10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
0X-AutoProducts
Supporting Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agentf1
i don't want any mis-information about RejeX, so i'm going to chime in about your comments here....

and for those of you who'd like to follow along, here is the link to the RejeX Material Safety Data Sheet
http://www.x-autoproducts.com/pdf/Re..._Bulk_MSDS.pdf

now for my rebuttal and clarification to the comments posted above (i'm not a chemist so please - be gentle if you are and feel compelled to reply)...

RejeX is an emulsion, in other words, a blend of an oily substance and a water(y) substance. in order to make an emulsion stable (won't separate), you need to have something that will keep the two components blended. in RejeX, petroleum distillates perform that function. to say that RejeX contains 30% solvent is incorrect. it contains 20-30% petroleum distillate which is good as that's what keeps it from reverting back to separate oily ingredient(s) and water(y) ingredient(s).

now, regarding the word 'solvent' as it relates to smell (which i'm sure is how you came to your conclusion). petroleum distillates naturally have a solvent odor, as they (the ones found in RejeX) tend to be lighter hydrocarbon molecules. these molecules quickly evaporate upon the application of RejeX as it no longer needs to remain an emulsion. in fact, upon application, you're trying to get it to haze over so you can remove it and have a shiny car. in other words, the distillates job is done and they go away which is good as it leaves the active ingredients behind, ready to do their job. however, there is the odor of the evaporating molecules which do smell like true solvent products. sorry.

now, the comment about RejeX not layering. this is completely false. RejeX layers very well. in fact, each of the performance characteristics of RejeX (shine, slipperiness, longevity, protection) will improve with each successive layer. however, there is a law of diminishing returns. there are people who have dozens of layers of a competing product.
was there a linear improvement in product performance with each successive application?
i doubt it. with RejeX, the first application is amazing. the second layer will be noticeable and improve each performance characteristic. a third layer will add improvement, but you'll start to figure out that each new layer adds a diminishing return, thus you start to waste your time and money wiping your car. i say, put the towels down and get out there and drive it.

so,
RejeX does not in fact contain 30% solvent.
RejeX will in fact layer quite well, and we even recommend a couple of layers to get the most bang for the buck. don't apply it dozens of times though unless you just like to wipe....

thank you for your time.
barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
a CF sponsoring vendor!!!
a NCM business member!!!
a NCRS member!!!
don't forget about our military discount (call for details)

Last edited by X-AutoProducts; 10-19-2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:40 PM
0X-AutoProducts
Supporting Vendor

vette ruminator
sorry i didn't get a reply to you sooner (as you've already applied RejeX to the surface you inquired about).

as for your question, the only surface on a c6 that you should not apply RejeX to, is the black plastic trim with a slight surface texture (as far as i know, this plastic is found only around the tail pipes of your car). this specific type of plastic will absord RejeX (or most other waxes and polishes) and leave a white haze. if you get RejeX on this surface, gently scrub it with a soft toothbrush and some baking soda. the RejeX will abrade away.
if you are considering applying RejeX to trim is not textured black plastic, but painted metal, natural rubber, SMOOTH plastic or vinyl - then RejeX is perfectly fine. it will not stain these surfaces in good condition (not porous with age).

now, RejeX can be applied to any PAINTED surface, including painted window trim made from metal or plastic/vinyl. the part of your car that you've asked about is a painted piece of smooth metal. and, as i'm sure you've already found out, the RejeX made it look shiny which is what you wanted.

please feel free to post your experience. i'd like to know your thoughts.

very best regards,
barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
a CF sponsoring vendor!!
a NCM business member!!!
a NCRS member

Last edited by X-AutoProducts; 10-19-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Thank You Barry for clearing up some issues.
I now have 3 coats of Rejex & the layers create a wet look with a high depth appearance. Before I post, I test.
Rejex is clearly the best Product I have used, the proof of that is many people are now switching to Rejex & sending me PM's here on the forum about how they love the ease & results of this great Product.
As a side note I like the smell of Rejex & its a none issue.

Last edited by Guitarstar; 10-19-2005 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:49 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

IMO, up to 30% PDs and up to 10% silicone are not great things.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:50 AM
vette ruminator
Drifting

Thanks, Barry, I'll have to take some pics before it rains here...
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Bill97Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X-AutoProducts
agentf1
i don't want any mis-information about RejeX, so i'm going to chime in about your comments here....

and for those of you who'd like to follow along, here is the link to the RejeX Material Safety Data Sheet
http://www.x-autoproducts.com/pdf/Re..._Bulk_MSDS.pdf

now for my rebuttal and clarification to the comments posted above (i'm not a chemist so please - be gentle if you are and feel compelled to reply)...

RejeX is an emulsion, in other words, a blend of an oily substance and a water(y) substance. in order to make an emulsion stable (won't separate), you need to have something that will keep the two components blended. in RejeX, petroleum distillates perform that function. to say that RejeX contains 30% solvent is incorrect. it contains 20-30% petroleum distillate which is good as that's what keeps it from reverting back to separate oily ingredient(s) and water(y) ingredient(s).

now, regarding the word 'solvent' as it relates to smell (which i'm sure is how you came to your conclusion). petroleum distillates naturally have a solvent odor, as they (the ones found in RejeX) tend to be lighter hydrocarbon molecules. these molecules quickly evaporate upon the application of RejeX as it no longer needs to remain an emulsion. in fact, upon application, you're trying to get it to haze over so you can remove it and have a shiny car. in other words, the distillates job is done and they go away which is good as it leaves the active ingredients behind, ready to do their job. however, there is the odor of the evaporating molecules which do smell like true solvent products. sorry.

now, the comment about RejeX not layering. this is completely false. RejeX layers very well. in fact, each of the performance characteristics of RejeX (shine, slipperiness, longevity, protection) will improve with each successive layer. however, there is a law of diminishing returns. there are people who have dozens of layers of a competing product.
was there a linear improvement in product performance with each successive application?
i doubt it. with RejeX, the first application is amazing. the second layer will be noticeable and improve each performance characteristic. a third layer will add improvement, but you'll start to figure out that each new layer adds a diminishing return, thus you start to waste your time and money wiping your car. i say, put the towels down and get out there and drive it.

so,
RejeX does not in fact contain 30% solvent.
RejeX will in fact layer quite well, and we even recommend a couple of layers to get the most bang for the buck. don't apply it dozens of times though unless you just like to wipe....

thank you for your time.
barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
a NCM business member!!!
a NCRS member!!!
I have a few questions. The MSDS shows 20-30% Petroleum Distillates. Since there is only one CAS number next to it I am assuming that only one ingredient is being called out here that makes up the 20-30% of the formulation. You stated above that the function of this ingredient is the emulsifier. Even if this is so, don't all Petroleum Distillates have solvent properties by nature? ....And if it is an emulsifier what exactly is it holding together with water since the MSDS doesn't show anything else. Typically I have seen on an MSDS X% of one thing (most likely solvent) and the emulsifier called out as a separate line item, that is, if the formula even needs one. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 10:16 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill97Z
I have a few questions. The MSDS shows 20-30% Petroleum Distillates. Since there is only one CAS number next to it I am assuming that only one ingredient is being called out here that makes up the 20-30% of the formulation. You stated above that the function of this ingredient is the emulsifier. Even if this is so, don't all Petroleum Distillates have solvent properties by nature? ....And if it is an emulsifier what exactly is it holding together with water since the MSDS doesn't show anything else. Typically I have seen on an MSDS X% of one thing (most likely solvent) and the emulsifier called out as a separate line item, that is, if the formula even needs one. Thanks!
Geez...you think you know everything, being a chemical engineer and all...
Old 10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Default Questions for Barry?

1. Can I apply Rejex over my newly Zaino'd C6? Or do I need to wash with Dawn and remove the Zaino first?

2. After Rejex is applied, can I touch up the car with the Zaino Z6 quick spray?

3. Do I apply the Rejex to my cars nose which has a clear 3m like mask (clear bra) applied to it?

Thanks Barry. I ordered a bottle yesterday! I saw Randy's C6 and it looks amazing! I've never seen a car (aside from an auto show) that shines like that!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:40 PM
0X-AutoProducts
Supporting Vendor

Bill97Z
ah, yes, i knew there'd be a chemical engineer in the bunch....
these are good questions, and deserve to be asked. i'll do my best...

regarding your comment about "what exactly is it holding together with water since the MSDS doesn't show anything else", i'm not sure i follow you as according to the MSDS, it states RejeX is an emulsion of at least two components, one being CAS# 64742-47-8, the other being a proprietary siloxane ingredient which has no CAS# associated with it.

i don't subscribe to the service that will tell me exactly what CAS# 64742-47-8 is. so, if CAS# 64742-47-8 is listed by some agency as a solvent in and of itself, i cannot say. but that's not the point.

the point is, RejeX is a blend of a petroleum distillate and a proprietary ingredient, using a process that makes the constituent parts difficult if not impossible to identify. however, i never used the term 'water' as you have. all i know is, RejeX is an emulsion and requires a distillate to make it stable, as lots of other products do. however, just in case there is some separation after sitting on your garage shelf, the bottle states you should always give it a shake before using it (the same as other products).

now regarding your comment about all distillates having solvent properties by nature -- yes, i agree with you that petroleum distillates have solvent properties ("petroleum distillates naturally have a solvent odor") and smell is certainly a property. however, we found that RejeX works better without adding something to mask the odor of the distillates with a more pleasant odor. other products choose to add things to improve their product's smell. i guess it's all a give-and-take. the good news is, to the the majority of folks, the smell of RejeX is not objectionable as it is and enjoy its amazing performance characteristics (shine, slipperiness, protection, durability/longevity). if the smell offends you, please accept my apologies, but you can use it or not - it's your choice. an altoid in your mouth when you apply it will pretty much take care of the issue... (which hardly exists outside agentf1's olfactory sensitivities).

neither this post, nor my post above was not to split hairs about chemical engineering. my point is to address mis-information that agentf1 has posted repeatedly about RejeX simply because he prefers the smell of a competitor's product. that's perfectly fine. all i would ask of agentf1 is that he communicate correct information, and that is, RejeX is "20-30% petroleum distillate with a mild solvent odor", but RejeX is not a 'solvent' as he had implied, nor a cleaner wax as agentf1 has explicitly stated elsewhere. RejeX is not a cleaner and cannot be used as one regardless of its distillate content, nor does it contain wax.

if accurate information is posted in the first place, there will be no reason for anyone to clarify.

thanks all,
barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
a NCM business member!!!
a NCRS member!!!
don't forget about our 20% discount for current of former military (call for details)

Last edited by X-AutoProducts; 10-21-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:44 PM
0X-AutoProducts
Supporting Vendor

Braced
processed your order. thank you very much.

yes, RejeX can be applied over zaino. but, i believe that dawn won't take zaino off. doesn't matter. just wash your car well and use RejeX after you dry it.

zaino z6 works very well with RejeX.

RejeX will not lift, scratch or discolor a clear bra. it will make it very shiny and slippery.

please post again after you've applied the RejeX.
sincerely,

barry
X-Auto Products
800-559-1192
www.x-autoproducts.com
a NCM business member!!!
a NCRS member!!!
don't forget about our 20% discount for current of former military (call for details)
Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

I washed my C6 first used ZYMOL wax cleaner to remove all micro dirt & applied RejeX on top of Zymol & The result made my C6 look like glass.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Braced
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guitarstar
I washed my C6 first used ZYMOL wax cleaner to remove all micro dirt & applied RejeX on top of Zymol & The result made my C6 look like glass.
I think your car IS glass. You special ordered it! Blue mirror option is $1000!

Thanks Barry for the quick answer. I can't wait to "get er done"!!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Barry,

I wanted to let you know I did receive my bottle of Rejex this past Saturday. Have to love the post office. Thanks for the help on the phone.

Now for my first impression of Rejex.

After reading all the posts about it, I decided to give it a try. I have bought many car care products over the years, some good, some bad, so I thought for under 20 dollars I'd give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I wouldn't like it and I would toss it like I have the others in the past.

I started out by giving the car a good washing using Dawn. I then followed by using the clay bar then onto a good buffing using my PC and some 3m Perfect-It polishing glaze. Once I was satisfied with the condition of the paint I went onto the Rejex.

Application - I used a microfiber towel. I worked a section at a time. It went on very easily. As some mentioned, I noticed a faint odor, but I've smelled a lot stronger odors from other products I've used over the years so it wasn't a big deal.

Removal - I couldn't ask for anything easier. It buffed right off using a microfiber towel. There was no powdery residue afterwards as I've seen with other products and the shine was awesome.

I used it on all painted surfaces, windows, tail lights and my rims.

I waited the specified 12 hours over night and decided to give it a second application the following day. After the second treatment I was totally impressed. The shine was deep and wet.

One thing I did notice, typically I would have a lot of road dust on the tail end and around the rear lights. After driving the car this entire week, the amount was significantly less and what was there, blew off using my blower on a low speed setting. Brake dust was also very easy to wipe off of my rims.

I had the car parked in the driveway yesterday and had a small rain storm come through here (happens almost daily in Florida) and was very satisfied with the look of the car after it dried in the sun.

I've read some posts from others on this thread who apparently have some sort of agenda. I look at it this way, the more time I save cleaning my vette, the more time I will be out riding in it and enjoying myself. I don't want to have to purchase an entire line of products and spend half the day using them just to make my car shine. Rejex did it in an hour or so and for a lot less money. I'm sold !!!

My impression of Barry - He was very easy to deal with on the phone, answered any questions I had and was very patient with me. As an added bonus, he gave me a discount on my order since I am ex Navy (that was an added surprise when I looked at the invoice). I plan to use Rejex on my motorcycle and also my 1979 MGB convertible.

Barry, I have a lot of friends in auto and motorcycle clubs and once they see the results on the cars and bike they'll be asking for your number to order as well.

Thanks again for the great service.

Mike
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Bill97Z
Instructor

Thank you for the kind reply. I wasn't trying to refute the information you have been stating but rather help you understand why people are asking the questions they are after reading your MSDS and product descriptions. This forum has gone through many new products and manufacturer claims over the yrs. The hottest topics seem to be in conjuction with abrasives, silicone oil, and solvents. It's amazing how many false claims have been made over the yrs which is why some members seem to be very cautious and ask a lot of the questions! In the end, it all comes out in the wash....good or bad. At least that has been the case in the past.

Anyhow, I think we need to ask ourselves a few questions. What exactly is a "cleaner-wax." ....or rather what functional ingredients do they contain to give them cleaning properties? Typically the use of abrasives and/or chemical cleaners (aka solvents) are responsible for what you are seeing. But where is the line drawn...................

Different products have different levels of aggressiveness. I guess a good definition of a product that would NOT be considered a one step "cleaner wax" would be one that contained no abrasives and a level of solvent low enough so that it could be "layered." In addition subsequent applications would not result in simply stripping the old layer and reapplying. Note that this is VERY difficult to benchmark and visualize and partly has to do with how durable the coating is to begin with.

The fragrance issue is not a big deal, but again, if people notice a chemical smell it might not hurt but it sure doesnt help if one were suspect to the ingredients. I know through talking with manfacturers and my professional background that addition of a fragrance can make or break a product. As trival as it seems can be a real nightmare to a manufacturer because it can totally change how the product works. An interesting point though, is when I read a lot of new product reviews, the reviewer almost always comments on how the product smells. Perhaps manufacturers should be more aware of this.

The MSDS that was posted seems to cause concern with some members frankly because 20-30% Petroleum Distillates seems very high compared to other products. I think it is fair that some people do have concerns knowing this, but then again they do not know the entire picture so shouldn't go off with wild assumptions. The CAS # posted was a big aid in helping me discover what exactly you were referring to as Petroleum Distillates (solvents) in the formulation.

Last edited by Bill97Z; 10-21-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 3rd coat of Rejex..... WOW!!!!

Old 10-21-2005, 05:26 PM
jabez
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Barry,

After reading all the posts about it, I decided to give it a try. I have bought many car care products over the years, some good, some bad, so I thought for under 20 dollars I'd give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I wouldn't like it and I would toss it like I have the others in the past.
Mike
Why would you toss it if you didn't like it? Barry has a money back guarentee.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jabez
Why would you toss it if you didn't like it? Barry has a money back guarentee.
For the same reason I toss a dead watch in the drawer and buy a new one instead of trying to hunt down a battery for it...lol. I'm lazy.

But I won't have to worry about tossing the Rejex since it's a great product.

Now I'm hoping this hurricane doesn't cause that much rain here this weekend so I can go out and do my other vehicles.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:12 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

I have tried Rejex and will tell you it is a very good product. It stands up to time and weather extremely well. It is super easy to use, both on and off.

Having said that, I use it my daily drivers. I also use it on the wheels and glass on the Vette, but there only. I have found that I get better shine, depth and reflection with Zaino.

In addition, the customer service from Sal and his team are second to none, in fact he just personaly called me at 10 pm to answer the question I posted in another thread.

Just my 02

Peace
Willfulone

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 10-21-2005 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd coat of Rejex..... WOW!!!!