Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] MT touts Z's run @ Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MT touts Z's run @ Ring

Nice, but brief article on the Ring ... with mention of Jan's recent Ring runs in the Sept. issue of MT.

They give the Z 2nd place, 10 seconds behind the Carrera GT. Ahead of Zonda S, Lambos, McLaren SLR's, Vipers, Porsche 911 ... but, tied with Porsche 996 GT2.

Here's the skinny: Tested the Z for 2 weeks prior to Jan's run. He ran total of 4 laps during the hour the track was RENTED by GM. Got the best time on 4th try. Was a hot morning ... not ideal for a record time.

Other interesting FACTS. The publics time on the Ring is LIMITED ... since automakers get first shot with their testing needs. Walter Rohrl says any good driver can do an 8:40 lap in a 911 car w/o Ring experience. Learn the track ... and you can get your time down to low 8's. But, to break into sub-8 range .... forget it ... thats his and other race professionals territory.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
watt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this time has gotten the attention of the entire Porsche and Ferrari world!!!! wowwwwwwwwwwwww!

it is quite amazing for a $65K car, and stunning for any car. BTW, having owned and loved 3 Porsche GT2's, i have never seen a time published below 7.46 for the GT2.

it remains to be seen how the Z06 handles in the bumps where i live which are much worse than those at the Ring. Porsches have great track [smooth] road handling except for the 2005 Boxster S which handles the bumps almost as well as the master: the Challenge Stradale. i will be interested to see how the Z06 does and learn about suspension tuning from you guys
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bernrex
Nice, but brief article on the Ring ... with mention of Jan's recent Ring runs in the Sept. issue of MT.

They give the Z 2nd place, 10 seconds behind the Carrera GT. Ahead of Zonda S, Lambos, McLaren SLR's, Vipers, Porsche 911 ... but, tied with Porsche 996 GT2.

Here's the skinny: Tested the Z for 2 weeks prior to Jan's run. He ran total of 4 laps during the hour the track was RENTED by GM. Got the best time on 4th try. Was a hot morning ... not ideal for a record time.

Other interesting FACTS. The publics time on the Ring is LIMITED ... since automakers get first shot with their testing needs. Walter Rohrl says any good driver can do an 8:40 lap in a 911 car w/o Ring experience. Learn the track ... and you can get your time down to low 8's. But, to break into sub-8 range .... forget it ... thats his and other race professionals territory.
I read the article, and it was a good overview. Missing were comments on exactly how stock the Z06 was. What were the suspension settings and what tires were on the car for the run? I am assuming that the stock runflats were used, but this is not explicitly stated. I hope these questions will be answered in future coverage on the event from a GM source.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
rbarta
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJ
I read the article, and it was a good overview. Missing were comments on exactly how stock the Z06 was. What were the suspension settings and what tires were on the car for the run? I am assuming that the stock runflats were used, but this is not explicitly stated. I hope these questions will be answered in future coverage on the event from a GM source.
The vehicle tested was a pre-production 505hp Z06 in final spec trim on treaded tires (don't know if they are runflats). The only difference was racing seats. The car was tested by other drivers in advance of Jan's arrival to ensure that the suspension settings would be perfect for his run. The settings will be applied to the production cars.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:06 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by rbarta
The vehicle tested was a pre-production 505hp Z06 in final spec trim on treaded tires (don't know if they are runflats). The only difference was racing seats. The car was tested by other drivers in advance of Jan's arrival to ensure that the suspension settings would be perfect for his run. The settings will be applied to the production cars.
The car was tested with the stock factory runflat tires
Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 PM
RyanD1
Advanced

http://213.239.207.198/nuerburgring....php?id=275&L=1
You can find the public schedule here. It's actually open to the public most of the time. Just stick some euros in the ticket vending machine, swipe the ticket at the track entrance, and off you go!

I did 5 laps in a pathetic rental car. Still a blast!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by watt
this time has gotten the attention of the entire Porsche and Ferrari world!!!! wowwwwwwwwwwwww!

it is quite amazing for a $65K car, and stunning for any car. BTW, having owned and loved 3 Porsche GT2's, i have never seen a time published below 7.46 for the GT2.

it remains to be seen how the Z06 handles in the bumps where i live which are much worse than those at the Ring. Porsches have great track [smooth] road handling except for the 2005 Boxster S which handles the bumps almost as well as the master: the Challenge Stradale. i will be interested to see how the Z06 does and learn about suspension tuning from you guys

Welcome to the " DARK SIDE" Watt, enjoy the ride !!!

Phoenix Performance are the Guru's for setting up a C-5 Z06. I'm sure they will be the experts for the new C-6 Z06 in a couple of months. Unfortunitely, they are on the right "Coast", just outside of Philidelphia, I believe.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 PM
Gary C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

track was RENTED by GM.
I have seen a couple of videos of the Ring and there was plenty of traffic which would translate into slower times. With all these posted times at the Ring it should be noted if it was Private, Public or Race times.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:10 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Welcome to the " DARK SIDE" Watt, enjoy the ride !!!

Phoenix Performance are the Guru's for setting up a C-5 Z06. I'm sure they will be the experts for the new C-6 Z06 in a couple of months. Unfortunitely, they are on the right "Coast", just outside of Philidelphia, I believe.
I am glad you recognize the East Coast as the "right coast" as opposed to the wrong one.

Coincidentally, Phoenix Performance is in Phoenixville, PA, about 30 miles west of Philadelphia.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:40 PM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

This is sick footage of Hans Stuck in his Beemer at the ring.

http://www.dgtalpimp.com/m3_gtr_nurburgring.wmv
Old 08-26-2005, 03:29 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RatRacer

Clock timer showed approx 8:30-32 when he raises hand to celebrate track finish.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:54 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

that had to be timing something else.

there's no way the Z could go faster than that.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:05 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by phantasms

His run was done in traffic ... although it would seem the traffic slowdowns probably only cost him 10-15 seconds.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms

That footage is from practice for the 24 hours of Nurburgring where the modern F1 track AND the old north loop of the Nurburgring complex are both run. The "Nurburgring" is really the Nordschliefe(sp?) (north loop) Hans leaves the pits of the new track completes almost an entire lap then instead of a right to continue on the new track takes a left to enter the north loop. On the lower left of this pic you can see where the new track connets to the old, then along the bottom out to the right is the old track. Which brings the total length to 22.835 + 4.542 = 27.377 kilometers or 16.97 miles.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/

Go to this section to see lap records from races!
http://213.239.207.198/nuerburgring.de/269.html?&L=1

Last edited by LTC Z06; 08-26-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Gary C
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RatRacer

Man I needed that

thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 01:39 AM
RatRacer
Safety Car

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

I thought you guys would like that. Hans isn't human at the 'ring.

Get notified of new replies

To MT touts Z's run @ Ring

Quick Reply: [Z06] MT touts Z's run @ Ring