Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

full bolton c5 vs 04 snake

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
yulost1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=simpleman68]
Originally Posted by yulost1
I've had a couple vette's, including a full bolt on C5 and a current bolt on C4 (sorry I still love the body style) and my current Cobra would DESTROY my 99 M6 C5. My Cobra is Intake/2.75pulley/headers exhaust/DR's and I pull on my old man's Z06 on the expressway. If we get over 120, it gets ugly for him real quick.

The original posters question was...

"how would a full bolt-on (LTs, xpipe, catback, cai, tune,etc) m6 c5 fair against a cai,catback 04 cobra?"

You are talking about a smaller pulley and more boost as well as headers and drag radials!
Why do these Mustang guys brag about pulling on an all motor car with BOOST?!
Does the old man have an intake, headers, drag radials on his ALL motor Vette?

Both are small block V8's and with a supercharger, the Cobra barely keeps up with the all motor Vette unless it's got....."more boost"

I was a Ford guy for years, but if you can't make a S/C small block V8 keep up with an all motor small block V8, in your flagship sports car, then something is very wrong.
Scott
Yeah, I mean you make a point with the N/A vs the S/C debate, but then I could counter with I paid 40% less, and could smoke him. Oh, and isn't the top speed on the Z06 like 180mph or something. I know the Cobra will do more than that, I had the speed governer taken off when I got it tuned. The doorstop shaped Z06 is way lighter and more aerodynamic, but a high boost car will win at that speed.
I guess I have something against C5's. When I had my C5, I always missed the Rawness of the Cobra. I felt like I was too young to have a C5, and that it rode to nice. I guess that's why I still have the C4. It rides like a truck and everytime I get in it something breaks! I kind of like the little quirks that most people hate about cars, I think it gives them character. When I'm 50 I'll buy the C8.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I mean you make a point with the N/A vs the S/C debate, but then I could counter with I paid 40% less, and could smoke him. Oh, and isn't the top speed on the Z06 like 180mph or something. I know the Cobra will do more than that, I had the speed governer taken off when I got it tuned. The doorstop shaped Z06 is way lighter and more aerodynamic, but a high boost car will win at that speed.
I guess I have something against C5's. When I had my C5, I always missed the Rawness of the Cobra. I felt like I was too young to have a C5, and that it rode to nice. I guess that's why I still have the C4. It rides like a truck and everytime I get in it something breaks! I kind of like the little quirks that most people hate about cars, I think it gives them character. When I'm 50 I'll buy the C8.
Absolute Gibberish!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Doczo6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robert56
Absolute Gibberish!

Gibberish man thats funny I havent heard that one in a while
Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 AM
MGorman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha. I haven’t heard that one in a while either. It’s a little too politically correct for me though.

I wouldn’t call what yulost1 said absolute gibberish. I would call it complete bull $hit
Old 06-28-2005, 11:27 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=yulost1]Yeah, I mean you make a point with the N/A vs the S/C debate, but then I could counter with I paid 40% less, and could smoke him. Oh, and isn't the top speed on the Z06 like 180mph or something. I know the Cobra will do more than that, I had the speed governer taken off when I got it tuned. The doorstop shaped Z06 is way lighter and more aerodynamic, but a high boost car will win at that speed.

Ok...
First point
1. You paid 40% less?! I bought my 2004 Vette for $42,000. I see the MSRP on an '04 Cobra is $39,xxx That ain't a big difference to me. Ford doesn't give much cash back, if at all.
I went looking at Cobras 6 mos. ago and the dealership laughed at me when I asked about incentives. They actually UPCHARGED for the "new" Stang.
SO MUCH FOR 40% LESS....

Second point
2.Top speed of 178 is for regular LS1's, maybe a few more mph for the Z06. The Cobra is within a couple mph either way. No big difference, and again with boost. Give equal boost to the LS1 and see what happens.

Third Point
3. I thought we were talking about the Cobra vs the Vette.
You brought up the Z06, I will stick to the entry level LS1 C5 for comparison.

0-60 acceleration
C5 LS1 4.72
Cobra 4.86

Braking 60-0
C5 LS1 115 feet
Cobra 121 feet

600' slalom mph
C5 LS1 66.4
Cobra 64.1

These comparos are based on regular C5 performance according to Motor Trend.
http://www.scottmeadphoto.com/photoj..._vs__cobra.htm (editor for Motor Trend)

Forget about the Z06, that's a whole different ballgame.
Again, "Where's the beef"?!

The closing statement again only brags about a S/C V8 being faster top-end than a NA V8....
That may be, but by a small margin. However, give me a cam and a few bolt ons (still NA) and I'll smoke the nuts off that same Cobra and still be able to out brake and out handle him all for only a few grand more.
THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT
Scott
Old 06-28-2005, 10:23 PM
yulost1
Heel & Toe

You C5 guys are great.

1. I paid $31500 out the dooor for my cobra, brand new off the showroom floor. Break you calculator out and do the math. In fact, I'll even do it for you $31500x1.40=$44,100 Der "SO MUCH FOR 40% LESS." Oh, and the Cobra is limited production. In 04 they made about 4000 of them. They probably made over 45,000 vettes, so why would a Ford dealer give them away.

2. This point is mute. Equal Boost? Its not my fault the LS1's don't come with a blower. Bring a fist, someone brings a knife, bring a knife, some one brings a gun. You can mod a Cobra for $1000 bucks to smoke almost anything on the road. It will cost you 5-10k to beat it on an LS1.

3. You pull numbers from a magazine that the C5 beat the Cobra in a comparo. I could find another one that the Cobra runs the quarter the same as a Z06.

4. You ran outta steam on this one, huh. My dad can beat up your dad- the Cobra's still faster outta of the box

I guess narrowminded people like you are why I sold my C5. I never underestimated or disrespected any car when I had my C5, and I do the same with my Cobra (and my c4). You seriously have to broaden your perspectives. Both cars are great, and both cars have their downfalls. Your not the best thing since slice bread.

Oh... yeah-and no whitty little smiley to end my post

Veni Vidi Vici-I'll be in the my corner waiting for the ref to count.....

Last edited by yulost1; 06-28-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Old_Man_Chuck
Instructor

Don't listen to these old farts (me included) I know for a fact my sons cobra will stomp my C5. It has at the track and on the street. I love my corvettes but I know when I'm beat. Enjoy your cars.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:08 PM
vipergts281
Intermediate

Some of you guys crack me up.

Assuming drivers are equal, I'd have to give the win to the Cobra with CAI and catback vs a full bolt on C5 like described in the original post. I doubt the Cobra would kill the Vette, but it should win. A Cobra with catback and CAI is good for over 400 rwhp....more around 410. I have 422rwhp and 391 trq with those two mods. I have raced several C5's and put car lengths on all of them. I'll assume they were stock. My buddy, two houses down from me, has a full bolt on C5. I got a ride in his car once, but I haven't raced him or else I could answer the question accurately.. I'm guessing a full bolt on C5 puts down about what 345 rwhp?? Or am I incorrect? For a comparsion, I've raced two C5 Z06's. The first one had exhaust and his front bumper was about 4 feet in front of mine....roll race. I raced another one that was stock. My front bumper was at his back bumper. The weight difference killed me against the Z's. Does anyone here know what a full bolt on C5 would do against a stock C5 Z06?

If the C5 has full bolt ons AND heads and cam, then yes the Cobra will get spanked. Just like if the Cobra has a smaller pulley, the Vette will get spanked (if the Vette doesn't have heads and cam).

simpleman68- Judging by your posts, you seem to fit the stereotype.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

You C5 guys are great.

1. I paid $31500 out the dooor for my cobra, brand new off the showroom floor. Break you calculator out and do the math. In fact, I'll even do it for you $31500x1.40=$44,100 Der "SO MUCH FOR 40% LESS." Oh, and the Cobra is limited production. In 04 they made about 4000 of them. They probably made over 45,000 vettes, so why would a Ford dealer give them away.
Unless I need to go back to school, your 40% calculation is off, maybe you need to go back to school.
-40%
=17,640
So,
=26,460 not the claimed buy price of 31,500

They make average 30,000 Vettes a year not counting the Z06 that hands the Cobra it's lunch. They make only 4000 Cobras a year because all the smart Cobra guys are lining up at the Vette dealerships to get a complete package. Or, they only make so many Cobras because the average Mustang owner is under educated like you and can't afford a Z06. How do you like them apples.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 PM
vipergts281
Intermediate

They make average 30,000 Vettes a year not counting the Z06 that hands the Cobra it's lunch. They make only 4000 Cobras a year because all the smart Cobra guys are lining up at the Vette dealerships to get a complete package. Or, they only make so many Cobras because the average Mustang owner is under educated like you and can't afford a Z06. How do you like them apples.
Give me a break. You may be worse than simpleman68.

Fyi, 40% difference or not......a new 04 Cobra could be had for $30,000 a few months ago.

Either way, who gives a f**k. They are two different cars built for two different purposes.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:42 PM
vipergts281
Intermediate

They make only 4000 Cobras a year because all the smart Cobra guys are lining up at the Vette dealerships to get a complete package. Or, they only make so many Cobras because the average Mustang owner is under educated like you and can't afford a Z06. How do you like them apples.
Hopefully the Viper guys don't see that post.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 PM
yulost1
Heel & Toe

Unless I need to go back to school, your 40% calculation is off, maybe you need to go back to school.
-40%
=17,640
So,
=26,460 not the claimed buy price of 31,500

I said the Vette costs 40 percent more, not 60% of the total price of a vette. There is a difference. You need to show your work. And, my $90,000 education afforded me a major in business, not in math (that's my shortcoming).
Undereducated, though. HMMMMMMM. Why don't we keep the punches north of the equator. You gotta push your pelvis out so it looks longer than mine. I know that my stock Cobra performed equal if not better than a Corvette (for 40% more than my cobra, hehehe)
I won't say you're uneducated, and stupe to your level. Don't act immature, I'm postive you're way older than me anyways!

Last edited by yulost1; 06-28-2005 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 PM
yulost1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by vipergts281

Either way, who gives a f**k. They are two different cars built for two different purposes.
They are two different cars built for two different demographics. They are both built for performance, however.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:38 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

well.. having had a C5, raced Z06's with it (both on the track and the street) and now a 03 Cobra, I'd say that the Cobra would take most stock C5's both M6 and A4 versions.. and while I didn't race a 02+ Z06, I did race 2 different 01 Z06's with my C5.. neither driver was that good, but their trap speeds were from 106 for a low to 109 for a high, compared to my 103.96..

I'd expect my 03 Cobra to trap somewhere around that 109 mph or higher...
Old 06-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 AM
PHPD7102
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I've had a couple vette's, including a full bolt on C5 and a current bolt on C4 (sorry I still love the body style) and my current Cobra would DESTROY my 99 M6 C5. My Cobra is Intake/2.75pulley/headers exhaust/DR's and I pull on my old man's Z06 on the expressway. If we get over 120, it gets ugly for him real quick.

The C4
I'm in Illinois as well and if you want to test your theory against an FRC lemme know!!

Last edited by PHPD7102; 06-29-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:59 AM
gnxs
Advanced

Originally Posted by PHPD7102
I'm in Illinois as well and if you want to test your theory against an FRC lemme know!!
I'll take you up on that if Andy doesn't. What track are you closest to? There was a yellow Z06 at Byron a few weeks ago with about your rwhp that was a pretty even match.

Get notified of new replies

To full bolton c5 vs 04 snake

Old 06-29-2005, 10:12 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

You C5 guys are great.

2. This point is mute. Equal Boost? Its not my fault the LS1's don't come with a blower. Bring a fist, someone brings a knife, bring a knife, some one brings a gun. You can mod a Cobra for $1000 bucks to smoke almost anything on the road. It will cost you 5-10k to beat it on an LS1.

3. You pull numbers from a magazine that the C5 beat the Cobra in a comparo. I could find another one that the Cobra runs the quarter the same as a Z06.

4. You ran outta steam on this one, huh. My dad can beat up your dad- the Cobra's still faster outta of the box

I guess narrowminded people like you are why I sold my C5. I never underestimated or disrespected any car when I had my C5, and I do the same with my Cobra (and my c4). You seriously have to broaden your perspectives. Both cars are great, and both cars have their downfalls. Your not the best thing since slice bread.

Oh... yeah-and no whitty little smiley to end my post

Veni Vidi Vici-I'll be in the my corner waiting for the ref to count.....
1. I'm glad you got a good deal on your Cobra. That's an awesome buy!
2. I bring up the blower because from my original post, that is my main beef with Ford. For years, they lagged behind in power while I owned many Fords. That was my biggest complaint. So I only made the comparo between Ford using boost to even the playing field instead of all motor.
3. Magazines are an approximate reference, I agree. But again, now that I own a Vette, there is so much more than straight line performance. This was merely a reference done by professionaly drivers/analysts on the 2 vehicles.
4. I'm not sure why you got so torqued about my comments about 2 vehicles. There are a LOT of faster, nicer cars out there than mine and it doesn't bother me a bit if someone comments on it. It's just a fact, and someone's opinion.

Folks need to lighten up a little bit. I expressed my opinion, actually in favor of Ford originally as I wished they would make some killer all motor power.
Then you stepped in with the narrow minded remarks. ?? I disprespected a car?! I mentioned I went to look for a Cobra and that I was a Ford guy for years. Hell, I am born and raised in Detroit! I'm not raggin on you, just expressing an opinion.

Cool out, have a beer and don't take each post about a hunk of steel as a personal affront.
A debate is only good when you can keep from taking what is said personally. And I like the smilies by the way. Mine were intended to show friendliness and a good spirit.
Scott
Old 06-29-2005, 11:58 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good grief, I thought the vette versus 03/04 debates had gone stale many moons ago. I guess I was wrong.

simple way to keep the blood from spilling: cobra owners don't come trolling over here and vette owners don't go trolling over at cobra websites. thats the only answer. the comments on this thread are simply childish.

as far as what it takes to run with one or the other, from a true dig race, I cobra needs about 70 more rwhp to run with a Z06. From a highway roll?? first off, who cares. Thats not racing. Just flip out your dyno sheets, do some math and you have the winner. Save a life and don't bonzai run on public streets. The weight/gearing advantage for the vette becomes much less a factor the faster you go.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You C5 guys are great.

exact proof of what I was talking about. If these are your feelings, and obviously you had them well before you ventured over here, then why are you on a corvette website, and in the C5 section? there's only one answer, you enjoy trolling

save some brain cells: don't feed the trolls

Quick Reply: full bolton c5 vs 04 snake