C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torco Octane Boost

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Proven over and over. My SRT-4 had a Mopar Option called "high octane mode" that ran an advanced timing and higher boost program through the Mopar PCM. The High Octane mode was worth 20 HP & 30# TQ only if you were running race gas (or Torco @ 32oz to 10 gallons.) Proven on the dyno and you could definitely feel it on the street.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:12 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by iblumberg
I am not a chemist and have no experience with Torco. However, just doing some algebra, in order to raise the octane level of 20 gallons of gas from 91 to 93 by adding 1/2 gallon (32 oz) of stuff would require the additive to have the equivalent octane rating of 173. It seems difficult to believe that Torco or anything else really has that property.

Ira
I claimed 91 to 95 Oct by extrapolating the label claim of raising 93 to 97 Oct. I didn't use any algebra, I actually used Torco and had documented gains.

Without knowing the volume or weight ratios of anti-knock compounds in the 91 Oct. pump gas how can you apply any formula? I seem to remember leaded premium gas having less than 1/2 oz. of tera-ethyl lead compound per gallon.You are not mixing 173 Oct gas with 91 Oct. gas, Torco just supplies the anti-knock compounds needed.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:19 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

I have to either run 100 octane or Torco in my car or the engine would go bang... Torco works!!

VR
Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iblumberg
I am not a chemist and have no experience with Torco. However, just doing some algebra, in order to raise the octane level of 20 gallons of gas from 91 to 93 by adding 1/2 gallon (32 oz) of stuff would require the additive to have the equivalent octane rating of 173. It seems difficult to believe that Torco or anything else really has that property.

Ira
That isn't how Torco, tetraethyl lead, or other similar additives work. These additives aren't just high octane gas that you blend with your pump gas. They actually change the chemistry of the burn. They behave somewhat as inverse catalysts. In other words, instead of promoting a reaction, they inhibit a reaction, in this case, the pre-detonation reaction.

The advantage of Torco over tetraethyl lead is it won't poison your catalytic converters. The disadvantage is that it is much more expensive than TEL. The big advantage of leaded gas was that it was a very cheap way to dramatically raise the octane rating of gasoline. Everything else that works the same way costs a lot more.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:42 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Where do you get this stuff from?

Originally Posted by ricatthebeach
www.jbsglownc5.net

Once again: MY POST WAS ASKING WHERE YOU GET THE STATEMENT ABOUT THE FUEL PUMP BEING DAMAGED BY HIGH OCTANE. I KNOW OCTANE IS GOOD IF YOU NEED IT.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 06-24-2005 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by shopdog
That isn't how Torco, tetraethyl lead, or other similar additives work. These additives aren't just high octane gas that you blend with your pump gas. They actually change the chemistry of the burn. They behave somewhat as inverse catalysts. In other words, instead of promoting a reaction, they inhibit a reaction, in this case, the pre-detonation reaction.

The advantage of Torco over tetraethyl lead is it won't poison your catalytic converters. The disadvantage is that it is much more expensive than TEL. The big advantage of leaded gas was that it was a very cheap way to dramatically raise the octane rating of gasoline. Everything else that works the same way costs a lot more.

Very nice explanation!! So many people are closed minded to the possibility of another explantion other then Torco being 173 octane.

I have tested the hell out of Torco.... Street with ease scans, track, dyno and lab.

While it is certainly not the only way to raise your octane, thereby avoiding predetonation, it IS a very cost effective way of doing so!!

I sell Torco for $72 for a case 6. Less then then other guys listed on this post. I also sell the 5 gallon can for $140 plus shipping and handling, this is a bit cheaper and wayyyy more convenient then mixing in 100 octane for the same increase in octane.

JB
Old 06-24-2005, 02:09 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by victory_C6
I agree. I have seen this stated in numerous articles. Higher octane actually produces less horsepower due to it's slower burn rate.
It isn't due to slower burn rate per se. The burn rate is slower, but not enough slower to make any significant difference at the RPMs our engines are capable of sustaining (we're talking a couple thousandths of a second difference in the time it takes the flame front to propagate across the cylinder, not significant until RPMs climb way higher than our engines can support).

Where there is a difference is in the energy content of the fuel. If you measure the energy content of *straight* gasolines (no additives), 87 octane has about 120,000 BTU/gallon while 100 octane has about 110,000 BTU/gallon. You can actually measure the difference in specific gravity of the two, in fact that's a standard test, which shows the carbon/hydrogen ratio of the fuel. All other things equal, the one that makes the most heat, makes the most power.

Now that goes right out the window when you use an additive like tetraethyl lead or Torco to boost the octane rating (rating not content) of the fuel. The fuel still has the same amount of energy, you've just decreased its sensitivity to detonation. So you still have the high energy content of a low octane straight gasoline, but don't suffer the detonation problems.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:43 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
Very nice explanation!! So many people are closed minded to the possibility of another explantion other then Torco being 173 octane.

I have tested the hell out of Torco.... Street with ease scans, track, dyno and lab.

While it is certainly not the only way to raise your octane, thereby avoiding predetonation, it IS a very cost effective way of doing so!!

I sell Torco for $72 for a case 6. Less then then other guys listed on this post. I also sell the 5 gallon can for $140 plus shipping and handling, this is a bit cheaper and wayyyy more convenient then mixing in 100 octane for the same increase in octane.

JB
Your price sounds good, how about the cost of a case of unleaded "Mach Series" delivered to ZIP 78758?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:51 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by f355c5
Bad idea--seals at risk-fuel pump ect
I know of people that have used Torco in nearly every tank of gas for 2 years with NO fuel system problems. I used it in every tank in my daily driver SRT-4 for 18 months (12,000 miles) with no problems other than a noticeable "race gas" smell at the exhaust and weird red/tan coloring on the spark plugs and exhaust tips.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:01 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by haljensen
I know of people that have used Torco in nearly every tank of gas for 2 years with NO fuel system problems. I used it in every tank in my daily driver SRT-4 for 18 months (12,000 miles) with no problems other than a noticeable "race gas" smell at the exhaust and weird red/tan coloring on the spark plugs and exhaust tips.
I'm one of those people!!

I can get it to you for $72 plus $8 for shipping and handling.

I have paypal.
JB
Old 06-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Busa196
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 3 Posts

Torco works, period.

I had my blown C5 on the dyno at MTI last summer in the Houston heat- probably about 95 degrees in the shop. After only 3 pulls the PCM was pulling significant timing due to KR.

We didn't change a thing on the car- I dumped in one 32oz bottle of Torco and then made another 6-7pulls with absolutley no KR. So, I've been a believer ever since and my 40k+ car will never run another tank of gas without my $12.50 fix. That's a cheap piece of mind when you spend 10k on a blower set up. If you have a blown C5 and you don't run Torco, you should have your head checked.

-Busa196-
Old 06-24-2005, 12:15 PM
dshaner1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busa196
Torco works, period.

I had my blown C5 on the dyno at MTI last summer in the Houston heat- probably about 95 degrees in the shop. After only 3 pulls the PCM was pulling significant timing due to KR.

We didn't change a thing on the car- I dumped in one 32oz bottle of Torco and then made another 6-7pulls with absolutley no KR. So, I've been a believer ever since and my 40k+ car will never run another tank of gas without my $12.50 fix. That's a cheap piece of mind when you spend 10k on a blower set up. If you have a blown C5 and you don't run Torco, you should have your head checked.

-Busa196-
I prefer alchy injection on my previous turbo set up....you should look into it. Much more cost efficieant, you can got more timing etc out of it over torco, and its very tuneable. Just my $.02
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
MATKAT
Cruising

1 Gallon Toluene, 15 Gallons 91 Octane Gives You 92.5 Octane And Has Gotten Rid Of My So Cal Knock Problem. Do The Research
Old 06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
WEEZEL
Racer

I'm curious as to whether the engine computers can actually "sense" any higher octane. Don't know the answer to this question. Does the engine somehow sense the higher octane and advance timing or is it simply designed to pull timing when a knock/ping occurs? I guess my question is: has anybody objectively proven any power gains/timing advances etc.. with octane additives in normally aspirated engines? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 448 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster

I am also confused with Shinobi's post. first it says you had 650 rwhp then you had 870 and it dropped to 850?? So anyway, you tuned on 100gt...is that 100 octane or 93 and you lost 20 hp on torco...assuming a lower octane??? or was it 93 and you added higher octane and lost 20hp....I can't understand if you are for or against octane. So how does losing 20hp on torco show octane is good or bad....do you have that reversed?....was it 850 and then you went to 870. You must have been in a rush. On a side note Andy built my motor too. Bet your car is sick to ride in!!

No my friend you must have been a rush or we both could have been in a rush...me typing and you reading. I should have explained what 9# and 16# means and the relationship of boost and hp.
I was comparing the runs I did on 100 and 91 octane at 16# and 9# respectively a couple of months ago at A&A and then at A&As party. Except both on 91 and Torco. The weather was a lot different during the party..and I was only down a little on power with both runs. The AFR was the same and Zero KR. So I account for the weather change (it was hot..I am still peeling) knocking down the power a little.

So you don't have to go back an re read my long thread. The 9# was 650hp and the 16# was 850hp. I have 2 tunes..one for 91 octane (9#) and one for 100 octane (16#) or I can now say with 91+Torco. My regular 9# tune is with 91 octane and with that I make 650hp. I just had Torco in the tank at the time of the low boost run @ A&As party, because we did a Hi Boost run prior to the low boost run, so I needed some Torco in the tank.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 06-25-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:29 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

I have been using torco at the track for over a year without problems.

This is a good source, they sell individual/3packs/6packs:

http://www.zzperformance.com/product...ab696646e59293
zzperformance.com
Old 06-25-2005, 08:21 AM
tsnipe11
Advanced

From the Torco web site:
Torco Racing Fuels is the first and only race fuel manufacturer to produce a real race fuel concentrate that performs like a race fuel. This product is not an "octane boost"; it is a race fuel concentrate that transforms to produce higher octane fuels when proper mixing instructions are followed. Torco Race Fuel Accelerator is available in both leaded and unleaded. Both leaded and leaded accelerator is available to order individually by the 32oz bottle, by the case, or 5 gallon pails.

This is the explanation I was looking for, I hope that I was looking at the right product that they manufacture.

Last edited by tsnipe11; 06-25-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Torco Octane Boost

Old 06-25-2005, 10:06 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tsnipe11
From the Torco web site:
Torco Racing Fuels is the first and only race fuel manufacturer to produce a real race fuel concentrate that performs like a race fuel. This product is not an "octane boost"; it is a race fuel concentrate that transforms to produce higher octane fuels when proper mixing instructions are followed. Torco Race Fuel Accelerator is available in both leaded and unleaded. Both leaded and leaded accelerator is available to order individually by the 32oz bottle, by the case, or 5 gallon pails.

This is the explanation I was looking for, I hope that I was looking at the right product that they manufacture.

You are correct! This is the right product. Contact me dirrect for pricing on cans, cases and 5 gallon jugs. we offer competite pricing within the Corvette community!

JB

kerijoel1@comcast.net
Old 06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thank you all; learned a lot from this thread. Help me to know if I am understanding this correctly..

A year from now, I am driving, in my 06 Z06 through small towns in a rural part of a state where the highest octane at all gas stations within miles is 89 octane. To avoid engine problems, would adding some Torco that I've carried with me avoid the pinging and potential related engine problems?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:32 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by elegant
Thank you all; learned a lot from this thread. Help me to know if I am understanding this correctly..

A year from now, I am driving, in my 06 Z06 through small towns in a rural part of a state where the highest octane at all gas stations within miles is 89 octane. To avoid engine problems, would adding some Torco that I've carried with me avoid the pinging and potential related engine problems?

Thanks in advance!

Most Definitely!!

JB

Quick Reply: Torco Octane Boost