C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$1.98 Vent Screens In Comp Gray (pic) -- C6 Gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 01:49 AM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
I like DYI so I took on the vent screens. Used gutter guard at home depot ($1.98 and had enough to do two pairs) cut to fit using a template I made. Painted comp gray to match my wheels and installed them. The product was very easy to work with and took paint fine. I used industrial strength Velcro mounted and folded over each tab (each piece only weighed 1 oz, so it’s going nowhere). DYI is not for everyone but it sure saves the $$ if you are so inclined : D

Hey Pipe,

Can ya send me the Template...YellowVette22@aol.com

Thanks
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

that looks great! Could you email me the template too?

tony@ls1tech.com

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
azcorvettegirl
Cruising

Default Template, please!

Me too! I would appreciate you emailing me the template.

Thanks,
Annholaz@yahoo.com
Old 05-15-2005, 05:49 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Classy! Very cool. Did you have to take the fender off to get back there?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Fastcat3
Racer

Apologize for not remembering who had done the same thing at the central Fl. gathering recently, but he also used the gutter guard over the bottom of the radiator that is exposed to everything especially bugs. It looked really sharp and shouldn't restrict air flow. I believe this was done on a Victory Red C6.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
docrings1
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
C6 FAQ Master

Super good look!

I will post this on the C6 FAQ...

Cheers!
Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 PM
_Nomad_
Team Owner

Location: Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do, because they're fassst…and they DART, THAT'S crazy!
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
-'24

Old 05-19-2005, 12:18 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Pipe dreams, you are a good man! Lowes only had the 4 packs of the vent screen......$7.00 and then 3 dollars for the industrial strength velcro. I have one side done, doing the other tomorrow. You do not have to take the wheel off. The instructions on the pro site say to break the tape hold that the inner plastic piece has, but I can tell you that I didn't have to remove that either. Do take the inner fender well piece off though. Once it is off, you can get to each of the template holding tabs.

Oh ya, I painted mine with bumper chrome to try to get them to match my chrome wheels. If you do this, be sure to tape off the mounting tabs. The velcro will stick to it but if you have to re-shift the vent (and you will), the velcro peels right off, with the paint on it.

When printing the template, I had to resize it to get the dimensions specified on the template. I use Paint Shop Pro. Once I resized it, it printed to the specified dimensions. If anyone needs that resized (cropped actually) template image, just let me know.

Thanks again PipeDreams!!

Last edited by cerino2000; 05-19-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Very nice

WoW!!!!!

Since posting they DYI

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&page=2&pp=20

I have received over 80 requests for the template and link for the vent screen instructions.

Last edited by Pipedreams; 05-19-2005 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

I followed the link but did not find a full size template. Is there one and I did not go to the correct place?

Jerry
Old 05-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
I followed the link but did not find a full size template. Is there one and I did not go to the correct place?

Jerry
You click the right mouse and save the template on your computer and the print it out
Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips, Cerino. Couple of questions. Did you have to lift the car? Can you be just slightly more specific about removing the inner fender well piece? How is that done? Nuts and bolts? Finally, where did you get the bumper chrome? What brand? I already got the vent screens and a clear coat to protect it!

Thanks

Oh, yeah, and what did you use to cut the vent screens?

Originally Posted by cerino2000
Pipe dreams, you are a good man! Lowes only had the 4 packs of the vent screen......$7.00 and then 3 dollars for the industrial strength velcro. I have one side done, doing the other tomorrow. You do not have to take the wheel off. The instructions on the pro site say to break the tape hold that the inner plastic piece has, but I can tell you that I didn't have to remove that either. Do take the inner fender well piece off though. Once it is off, you can get to each of the template holding tabs.

Oh ya, I painted mine with bumper chrome to try to get them to match my chrome wheels. If you do this, be sure to tape off the mounting tabs. The velcro will stick to it but if you have to re-shift the vent (and you will), the velcro peels right off, with the paint on it.

When printing the template, I had to resize it to get the dimensions specified on the template. I use Paint Shop Pro. Once I resized it, it printed to the specified dimensions. If anyone needs that resized (cropped actually) template image, just let me know.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

I used tin snips to cut but I bet if you have some side cutters, they could do it too. The inner fender well has a handful of 'push-in-to-lock' clips on it. Use a screw driver to pop the heads outward, and that unlocks the clip. Underneath, there are 2-10mm head bolts and 1-7mm head screw. I did not have to lift the car, but I did have to lay on my back to see the screws underneath. If you have the right tools, you could technically install the screens from the outside. Have to do a good estimate on where to put the velcro on the inside, but you could do it by eye-balling where the tabs are going to lie. You do want to be real careful of course that you don't scratch the car. The tools I am referring to are actually part of a generic screwdriver set. The tip is L shaped which will allow you to hook the back of the screen to pull it tight to the velcro. I did this to make an adjustment on mine after I had bolted everything back in place and it worked fine. I may post install pics later tonight as I do the other side.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:17 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Also, the bumper chrome is sold at AutoZone and Advance auto parts. The metal is galvanized so you don't really need to worry about it rusting.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Also, the bumper chrome is sold at AutoZone and Advance auto parts. The metal is galvanized so you don't really need to worry about it rusting.
The link at my site has instructions w/photos

Link to Template/Instructions and Kit
Old 05-19-2005, 09:15 PM
BIGGGIE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Can ya send me the resize template please..Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 PM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

OK, I did the other side tonight. Came out nice. Some instructional help too. Here are the necessities:

2-flat tip screw drivers
2-L shaped mini tools
1 flashlight
1-interior trim tool (optional, makes it a little easier)
1-vent screen
1-1/4in. rachet (this and the sockets are optional depending on how much room you feel you might need)
1-10mm socket
1-7mm socket
1-can of Plastikote Bumper Chrome spray paint
1-set of velcro

Here is a pic of the retainers that you will have to pull. The red arrows point to a handful of them. There is one you can't see a little farther back. Little less room there with the wheel on. I did not have to pull the back one to put these on but if you are going to pull the whole wheel well, you need to pull that back retainer, and also the 2 bolts and 1 screw from underneath the car. I did not pull them either. Note how I have the wheel turned. I did not have to jack up the car.

Here is how I got the retainers loose. I used 2 screwdrivers for a more even pull:

This is what they look like when you have the center section pulled out enough. Once it is here, the whole retainer will come out:

Once you have them out, you will have about this much room to put your arm in:

Here is a pic of the inner part of the air dam. Note that the pro installation site said to break the sticky tape holding this in place. I did not remove it at all. In fact, I used the slots that are in it as guides when I was lining up where to put the velcro strips:

Here is the finished product:

Once I bent the tabs on the screen, I inserted it from the front. I used the 2 L shaped mini tools to manipulate it once it was in the vent hole. Be VERY careful if your L tools have points on them, in fact, tape the ends if they have points.

For placement, I put velcro on each of the tabs prior to putting the screen in the wheel vent hole. Then I put the outer top receiving velcro in place after eyeballing where it needed to go. Use the inner vent slots as a reference. Then I put the lower outside receiving velcro in place. For the inner ones, I mated the velcro to the inner tabs and left the glue strips on until I knew where I wanted them to go. Then I carefully peeled the backing off and reached in through the wheel well I pushed everything down in place.

Plan on having to manipulate the tabs to the proper angle to get the screen to sit right. It took me about 2 hrs each side, taking my time and repositioning the screens until they were perfect.

Last edited by cerino2000; 05-19-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To $1.98 Vent Screens In Comp Gray (pic) -- C6 Gen

Old 05-20-2005, 10:18 AM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Fantastic write up. Thanks. This and 'pipedreams' should be in FAQ!

OK, I did the other side tonight. Came out nice. Some instructional help too. Here are the necessities:

2-flat tip screw drivers
2-L shaped mini tools
1 flashlight
1-interior trim tool (optional, makes it a little easier)
1-vent screen
1-1/4in. rachet (this and the sockets are optional depending on how much room you feel you might need)
1-10mm socket
1-7mm socket
1-can of Plastikote Bumper Chrome spray paint
1-set of velcro

Here is a pic of the retainers that you will have to pull. The red arrows point to a handful of them. There is one you can't see a little farther back. Little less room there with the wheel on. I did not have to pull the back one to put these on but if you are going to pull the whole wheel well, you need to pull that back retainer, and also the 2 bolts and 1 screw from underneath the car. I did not pull them either. Note how I have the wheel turned. I did not have to jack up the car.

Here is how I got the retainers loose. I used 2 screwdrivers for a more even pull:

This is what they look like when you have the center section pulled out enough. Once it is here, the whole retainer will come out:

Once you have them out, you will have about this much room to put your arm in:

Here is a pic of the inner part of the air dam. Note that the pro installation site said to break the sticky tape holding this in place. I did not remove it at all. In fact, I used the slots that are in it as guides when I was lining up where to put the velcro strips:

Here is the finished product:

Once I bent the tabs on the screen, I inserted it from the front. I used the 2 L shaped mini tools to manipulate it once it was in the vent hole. Be VERY careful if your L tools have points on them, in fact, tape the ends if they have points.

For placement, I put velcro on each of the tabs prior to putting the screen in the wheel vent hole. Then I put the outer top receiving velcro in place after eyeballing where it needed to go. Use the inner vent slots as a reference. Then I put the lower outside receiving velcro in place. For the inner ones, I mated the velcro to the inner tabs and left the glue strips on until I knew where I wanted them to go. Then I carefully peeled the backing off and reached in through the wheel well I pushed everything down in place.

Plan on having to manipulate the tabs to the proper angle to get the screen to sit right. It took me about 2 hrs each side, taking my time and repositioning the screens until they were perfect.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Oldad
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Very good DIY post. That material also comes in black plastic. This Forum rocks

Old 05-20-2005, 10:05 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post