Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] NÜRBURGRING Lap Times

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
BRUHAAAHAAAAHAAA someone's got to be KIDDING!!!

Who in HELL... thinks David Hill's driven any Corvette on a Hot Lap at the ring for... " TIME " ???

When are you guys gonna accept that David Hill has said...

GM has NOT run a C-6 for time at the Ring ?

IMO.. The new C-6 Z06 will be timed... and will likely lap well under 7minutes 50 seconds !!!
I would LUV to see the C-6 Z06 break into the 7'30'ssss, but chances of that happening are extremely remote!

GM may have not but GM does have a facility in Germany and they do make use of Nurburgring and well....I'm pretty sure somebody found a stop watch and was itching to time a Vette. May not be GM condoned, but it's possible.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
GM may have not but GM does have a facility in Germany and they do make use of Nurburgring and well....I'm pretty sure somebody found a stop watch and was itching to time a Vette. May not be GM condoned, but it's possible.

And... And... David Hill ran a 7 minute 56 second lap too !!!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:25 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

I believe the pro driver Heinracy drove the C5 Z06 around the track. That guy can drive and that was showroom stock.

A lot of those Porsches and bimmers run on different tires. To make it even they should all run on the same tire. 7:56 for a showroom stock Z06 is pretty remarkable. For comparison the M3 CSL runs a 7:50 on R-compounds I believe.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

If your not timing around the track how do you tune the suspension?

Seems to me that they run around the track for time and tweek the suspension. So any time they have would be the best time they could get during suspension testing and tuning.

So any 7:56 would be a blueprinted Z51. But manufacturing will vary.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
If your not timing around the track how do you tune the suspension?

Seems to me that they run around the track for time and tweek the suspension. So any time they have would be the best time they could get during suspension testing and tuning.
Also, a run for an official time would require a production vehicle. At the time the question was posed, there were no production vehicles as they were in the preproduction phase. Back when suspension settings, tires, etc. were all being tweaked.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:48 PM
s38
Racer

Doesn't the Carrera GT have pretty significant aero as well? That kind of thing will make a huge difference on a track--especially high speed corners.

BTW, the M3 CSL does come with the Pilot Sport Cups from the showroom floor and does have almost 3 liters less displacement.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:02 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro
I believe the pro driver Heinracy drove the C5 Z06 around the track. That guy can drive and that was showroom stock.

A lot of those Porsches and bimmers run on different tires. To make it even they should all run on the same tire. 7:56 for a showroom stock Z06 is pretty remarkable. For comparison the M3 CSL runs a 7:50 on R-compounds I believe.
M3 CSL comes with those stock, so you cant discount that..
Old 05-09-2005, 08:36 PM
loser boy
Advanced

Originally Posted by s38
BTW, the M3 CSL........and does have almost 3 liters less displacement.

you do not want to go there.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:02 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GeneCamaro

We have a lot of posted on this site about a phantom C-6 lap being timed at 7minutes 56 seconds at Nurburgring. It's about time the Mods step in and clear up this mis-information!

John Heinricy (sp?) is a senior engineer for GM and has been assigned to Corvettes for a number of years. He is NOT a professional driver... but is extremely capable and runs and WINS at the Nationals... driving a Corvette Z06's in SCCA's T-1 division !!!

John HeinRocket ( from the SCCA forum boards), did turn the 7 minute 56 second lap at the ring with an 04 Z06 !!!

Neither David Hill, nor anyone else from GM has posted an official time at the Ring with a C-6 Corvette as of a month or so ago!

Anyone posting that a C-6 Corvette has done an official lap at the ring in 7 minutes 56 seconds is WRONG !!!

Any time posted, other than officially sanctioned, is suspect at best!

You can go to www.rennlist.com and do a search under the GT3 section to get a video showing Hans Struck (sp) doing a lap in ~ 8 minutes 30 seconds. That lap was in traffic... but this is still an awesome display of driving talent.

Unless you have on track experience... you have NO IDEA how fast a 7'56 lap at the ring really is!!!

The Hans Struck Video will give you "some idea" of what it takes... and he was over 30 seconds off of the C-5 Z06 lap time!

Now maybe Scissors and some of the rest of Y'all would like to discuss....

" How many Angels could dance on the head of a Pin " !!!

That has as much credability as a 7 minute 56 second lap... by a C-6 at the ring!!!

Last edited by trumper Z06; 05-09-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

A writeup of the C5/C6 Bash Dave Hill said the new Z06 was going to the Ring about right now.

This was posted 4/25:
Next week they will air ship a production built car to Nurburing for testing.

So we should see times coming from testing there. This debate will be settled by the official lap time.

Last edited by Patrick McDaniel; 05-09-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

We have a lot of posted on this site about a phantom C-6 lap being timed at 7minutes 56 seconds at Nurburgring. It's about time the Mods step in and clear up this mis-information!

John Heinricy (sp?) is a senior engineer for GM and has been assigned to Corvettes for a number of years. He is NOT a professional driver... but is extremely capable and runs and WINS at the Nationals... driving a Corvette Z06's in SCCA's T-1 division !!!

John HeinRocket ( from the SCCA forum boards), did turn the 7 minute 56 second lap at the ring with an 04 Z06 !!!

Neither David Hill, nor anyone else from GM has posted an official time at the Ring with a C-6 Corvette as of a month or so ago!

Anyone posting that a C-6 Corvette has done an official lap at the ring in 7 minutes 56 seconds is WRONG !!!

Any time posted, other than officially sanctioned, is suspect at best!

You can go to www.rennlist.com and do a search under the GT3 section to get a video showing Hans Struck (sp) doing a lap in ~ 8 minutes 30 seconds. That lap was in traffic... but this is still an awesome display of driving talent.

Unless you have on track experience... you have NO IDEA how fast a 7'56 lap at the ring really is!!!

The Hans Struck Video will give you "some idea" of what it takes... and he was over 30 seconds off of the C-5 Z06 lap time!

Now maybe Scissors and some of the rest of Y'all would like to discuss....

" How many Angels could dance on the head of a Pin " !!!

That has as much credability as a 7 minute 56 second lap... by a C-6 at the ring!!!
What is so hard to believe that a newer car could not meet an older design suspension on the track? Its not incomprehensible. Its not a production time, nobody has ever said it was.

The C5 Z06 is yesterdays news. get over it.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

I think he's just stirring the pot.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Lazerwolfe
I think he's just stirring the pot.
Correct.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:41 AM
fgordon
Racer

I believe it is a mistake to assume that the C6 Z51 will NOT have a sub-eight minute run at the Ring. Dave Hill cited traffic and weather as the reasons that we don't have a time for the C6. My guess is that we'll get both the C6 and Z06 times soon.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
bcmarly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 363 Likes on 212 Posts

Yeah but that wouldn't agree with 75% rule of thumb. The Z51 will do it in 10.08 seconds because that is precisely 75% of the performance of the '04 Z06.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by bcmarly
Yeah but that wouldn't agree with 75% rule of thumb. The Z51 will do it in 10.08 seconds because that is precisely 75% of the performance of the '04 Z06.
Wrong direction. Mid-15s on the 1/4 mile with only 75% of the performance.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:40 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=Guru_4_hire]What is so hard to believe that a newer car could not meet an older design suspension on the track? Its not incomprehensible. Its not a production time, nobody has ever said it was.

Hhmmmm.... WRONG again! You must have just joined the discussions!

This phanton C-6 lap time discussion... of 7 minutes 56 seconds has been going on for quite a while....

Not only have people posted the C-6 lap time as being 7 minutes 56 seconds, they have even said they heard that time ... directly from David Hill !!! Others have said they saw that C-6 time postd in a magazine!

Hell... people have even posted that the C-6 was driven by David Hill, when it did the 7'56 lap at the ring!

Get notified of new replies

To NÜRBURGRING Lap Times

Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
terrychopper
Advanced

Originally Posted by fgordon
I believe it is a mistake to assume that the C6 Z51 will NOT have a sub-eight minute run at the Ring. Dave Hill cited traffic and weather as the reasons that we don't have a time for the C6. My guess is that we'll get both the C6 and Z06 times soon.
Well believing the info that is posted on the net. The C5 Z06 supposedly ran 7:56, Dave Hill has also been quoted as saying the C6 is not as fast as that car.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:43 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fgordon
Generally... you do the time FIRST, then you talk about it !!!

At least your NOT SAYING.... a C-6 has already been officially timed under 8 minutes!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:47 PM
s38
Racer

Are you talking about the M3 GTR video at the 24hr? That "time" included part of the stadium course. According to those that have driven the ring, figure well under 8:00 for that lap, IIRC about 7:30 -- which makes sense given the M3 CSL time.

Here is qualifying for this years race:

http://www-11.24h-rennen.de/pdf/2005...ittraining.pdf

Clearly, those cars aren't running those laptimes on the regulary 'Ring track. They are much faster than that.

Last edited by s38; 05-10-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] NÜRBURGRING Lap Times