C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

My 88 vette is running really good!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default My 88 vette is running really good!

My 1988, auto, coupe, is running really well – normally I post when I have a problem, but it has been going so well for the last 2 – 3 weeks I thought it would make a change to post about something positive.

I’ve had the car for just over 2 years, been replacing and fixing a heap of things.

I ‘think’ the difference happened at the same time I put a new memcal in the ECM – but I can’t say for sure.

I bought a chip and adapter board from Moates – it uses the original chip plus the newly programmed chip, so at any time I can change back to standard. The new memcal is re-programmable so I can get it changed over and over..

My car is standard – all I changed were the on/off temps of the cooling fan and the open/closed loop settings because I fitted a heated O2 sensor.

So really there should have been no alteration to the way the car runs. But I noticed it immediately, just a SOTP thing, and I know that often cars feel like that after you wash them or change the oil. This feeling has lasted 2-3 weeks – the car is even more of a joy to drive, I describe it as ‘Crisper’.

The friend who burned the new memcal said,” there were 4 different chip calibrations used in your year.. (the 4 letter code).. we don't know which one you were running before, but its possible I used a different one that is not so emissions strict (california cars are different etc) and has a bit more timing in it, and higher NOx emissions and performance.. just a wild guess - next time you are in there, get the code and I'll tell you!”

So perhaps that’s it. My car is a Canadian Vette so I would have thought not very emissions strict?

At the same time as I fitted the chip, my courtesy lights dimmer blew. Previous to that, my door lock solenoids wouldn’t budge the door locks, but now, because there are no lights on when I close the door, there are more spare volts and the solenoids work!! Surely that can’t affect the running of the car!!

Over the last two years I have replaced the radiator, had the tranny rebuilt to heavy duty, by experts. Fixed a heap of minor things – new plug leads, headlamps, s/s brake hoses, brake bias spring, revalved shockies – bought a fuel pressure gauge and set the FPR and TPS etc as per the tech tip – all done before last Christmas. Everything helps to contribute to the overall feeling, but for the last few weeks the car is better!!!

So that’s it. I’m really enjoying my vette, which is my daily driver. There’s a heap of things that can go wrong any minute now –thanks to the forum I’m semi prepared for them.

Hope I haven’t jinxed it by sharing my current joy.

S’nut
Old 04-27-2005, 10:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You read Doug's thread, didn't you?
Old 04-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Mike_88Z51
Drifting

Location: Sacramento, CA Money can't buy happiness - but it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than a Yugo.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingraynut
I ‘think’ the difference happened at the same time I put a new memcal in the ECM – but I can’t say for sure.

The friend who burned the new memcal said,” there were 4 different chip calibrations used in your year.. (the 4 letter code).. we don't know which one you were running before, but its possible I used a different one that is not so emissions strict (california cars are different etc) and has a bit more timing in it, and higher NOx emissions and performance.. just a wild guess - next time you are in there, get the code and I'll tell you!”
GM was/is constantly adjusting the programming of the chips used in its vehicles and as your friend mentioned, there were several different programs just for the 88 Vette. It is quite possible that you have a later/better program in there now.

A lot of 88 Auto guys have been known to replace their default 88 chip program with that from an 89 Auto. The 89 was an improved version of the 88 minus the 9th (cold start) injector. You could just disconnect the wiring from the cold start injector and use the 89 program if you so desired. As it is, it sounds like you have hit on a good combination now.

At the same time as I fitted the chip, my courtesy lights dimmer blew. Previous to that, my door lock solenoids wouldn’t budge the door locks, but now, because there are no lights on when I close the door, there are more spare volts and the solenoids work!! Surely that can’t affect the running of the car!!
It very much might be your answer. If you have something drawing down your voltage or current excessively, to the point where the door locks won't activate, that is a significant issue. The car MUST have a decent amount of electrical power or it could affect many important components. Not enough power to the fuel pump or ECM and you will see real problems. No longer operating at a borderline voltage/current could have been a part of your improvement.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 04-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

cuisinartvette - yeah, read Dougs thread, I had just posted this - amazing isn't it. I posted there with a link. I think that we expect our cars to run well as the norm and so we post here when they don't.It's not a very interesting subject,"My car is running well' - but as I suspect it's the new chip, I thought I'd post to help our general knowledge.

It's taken me 2 years to get the car into good shape, and as I said before, I know there'll be some more problems - but I'll enjoy this moment.

Mike88Z_51 - I have considered that power draw thing, it could be the reason everything's so good now. Could the courtsey light dimmer draw power all the time, if it was faulty?

All the parts on the board look fine. I have detailed these parts and have a tech friend working on the board, hoping to find the faulty part and it's current replacement - I have a web page with info on it, as it seems a very common problem and is not replaceable. I'll post a tech tip if I find enough info to help others.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/mpheale...mer/Dimmer.htm

But basically I think the door locks work now because there aren't 6 globes drawing excess power away from the solenoids, which get their ground from the courtesy lights dimmer module.

That's the kind of weird thing you find out when you are fault finding!

S'nut
Old 04-27-2005, 08:28 PM
smacko
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...But basically I think the door locks work now because there aren't 6 globes drawing excess power away from the solenoids, which get their ground from the courtesy lights dimmer module.

That's the kind of weird thing you find out when you are fault finding!

S'nut
Now that IS weird S'nut!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM
Stingraynut
Burning Brakes

Hi smacko, it is weird - mine's running perfect and yours is in a thousand pieces!

When are you going to get the hood ornament fitted back ?
(Check smacko's gallery to see his hood ornament)

S'nut

Get notified of new replies

To My 88 vette is running really good!

Quick Reply: My 88 vette is running really good!