C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Speed Demon Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Charles Klein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speed Demon Motorsports

This continues the story started here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...4&goto=newpost

I picked up the car today. Chris had someone meet at his shop to return the car, which was understandable: The motor is performing abysmally -- 340 rwhp for a 396 (not a 383 as I earlier thought) with 295 cfm heads and cam a little bigger than a cc 306. This after working on the car for 11 months. Chris agreed (10 days ago) that if it was at all possible for him to get the motor good working order, 10 more days would be sufficient. Speed Demon was simply unable to determine the cause of this absurdly bad performance. 11 months, $13,000 and the motor makes 34 hp more than it did stock.

The plastic intake covers were missing from the motor; the tool for removing the roof panel was missing; special metal valve covers I had were replaced with plastic ones; and my keys were returned without the remote access the key fob.

I will be sending the car to another shop to finish the work, and suing Chris for the loss. If there is anyone in the Houston area who has had problems with Speed Demon and might be willing to testify in the suit (probably small claims), please let me know. Likewise, I would appreciate having any written descriptions of other experiences to substantiate my claim that his work is frequently defective (5 failures in my case, 800 miles until the motor spun a bearing after the first rebuild, then four valve train failures each with 500 mile of the previous repair).

I'd also appreciate hearing from tuners or anyone with recommendations on where to send the car near Austin.

Last edited by Charles Klein; 04-03-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:50 AM
olman
Racer

Man that sucks!!! I hate it when this s--t happens. I'd say it's time to loose the law dogs. This kinda stuff belongs in Superior Court. Thieves belong in jail.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:45 AM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

All I can say is this: SD must stocked with incompetent techs (liberal use of the word).

I cannot understand exactly how an engine can blow up like this. I swear... building an engine, even a modified unit, isn't rocket science.

I did a motor in my garage just this past winter, and it wasn't all that hard.

I suspect they have gotten so "good" they have gotten sloppy. And SD was once considered a leader.

Chris can now be added to the list of failures... With Hennessey and others... So sad. Greed + poor planning = ruined reputations and broke customers.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:25 AM
Powerdrive
Melting Slicks

Glad you got your car back at least..Ive been reading your ordeal.
Wow
Old 04-03-2005, 12:32 PM
GS345
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

Thats a real pisser...I have been keeping up with your post and just cant believe the this goes on as much as it seems to. I'm glad you got your(whats left of) your car back. Have you talked to the guys at Horsepowerengineering (HPE), they built my 396 shortblock. Erik is a guy you should talk to there. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. BTW, is speed demon still in business and if so how?????????????????

jeff
Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Bruce
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

people. here are my .02. Building a high rpm, high hp and big solid roller motor required good knowledge and experience to build such motor to last. For a mild V8 bulid up, almost any body can do it and it 'll run and last. But when a high rpm and high hp come in than it will required a very close attention to details to build a machine that will make the hp and last. In this case are very obvious that SD are incompetent to do it. Few yrs a go, I almost choosen SD to build my motor, one thing is holding me back is that they are in Houston and I am in NY. So I pass that and gone with Agostino Racing Engine in Canada which is about 3 -4 hrs drive for me. They build my motor with a build sheet show every details they did and their measurement on each piston and rods etc. Today my blown 383LT1 still running.

Bruce
Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Charles Klein
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS345
Thats a real pisser...I have been keeping up with your post and just cant believe the this goes on as much as it seems to. I'm glad you got your(whats left of) your car back. Have you talked to the guys at Horsepowerengineering (HPE), they built my 396 shortblock. Erik is a guy you should talk to there. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. BTW, is speed demon still in business and if so how?????????????????

jeff
Evidentally they are still open -- there were a few cars in the shop when I picked up my car.

Thanks for the advice on the builder. I am hoping to find a place closer to Austin, but I'll send it as far as Dallas or Houston if necessary.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I've been following, and I feel for ya.

I don't know if it's related, but after reading an update last week I was pissed to see that they were still linked to the left under tuners. Your story, and it going unrefuted by SD, is not worth their sponsor money.

I hope you find resolution, keep us posted. You are being far more tact than I could ever be. Feeling like he reached right in my pocket and stole from me like a mugging, I would have made a mistake and responded with . Hence, closing the door on legal recourse.

And thanks to the powers that be for saving the next member.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:59 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't know the award limit for Texas small claims court, but I'm sure it isn't high enough for this case.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Post this over in the Southwest section so you can get us Texas guys in on it. I've not always heard great things about Speed Demon, so I'm sure someone else has a story similar to yours.

That sucks man, I won't be going there for anything.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
ZF Six
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I don't know the award limit for Texas small claims court, but I'm sure it isn't high enough for this case.

RACE ON!!!
I believe it is $5,000 for small claims.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

That would have been my guess. His actual damages are far more than that. Due to the reported circumstance, *I* think this case is ripe for punitive damages, as well.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Dugmole
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Sorry for all of your bad luck. I say bad luck because like you I rely on this forum and its sponsors to provide an avenue to our addiction. I considered SD for my last engine build, and could not find any negative feedback.
Chris answered all of my questions and seemed to be very knowledgable.

I wish you well in getting your car running as it should.

Since the car is still in the Houston area, contact Erik Koenig
@ HPE. 281-448-1300.

I am certain that Erik can and will get your car to perform as it should. He can most certainly show you where the others have failed.

Whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you a little good luck,

you deserve it.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 PM
96dblblack
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about this whole thing, but I am glad you got your car back at least. 11 months and to hear about the condition is terrible. I hope you are able to get her running right and get your money back. Good luck and let us know what happens, we all feel for you.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
Charles Klein
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dugmole
Sorry for all of your bad luck. I say bad luck because like you I rely on this forum and its sponsors to provide an avenue to our addiction. I considered SD for my last engine build, and could not find any negative feedback.
Chris answered all of my questions and seemed to be very knowledgable.

I wish you well in getting your car running as it should.

Since the car is still in the Houston area, contact Erik Koenig
@ HPE. 281-448-1300.

I am certain that Erik can and will get your car to perform as it should. He can most certainly show you where the others have failed.

Whatever you decide to do, here's wishing you a little good luck,

you deserve it.
I am familiar with Erik Koenig. After the spun bearing (6 weeks after the first rebuild), Chris sent the block to Erik for machining.

I think that the parts I have can make power. The heads were stage II+ heads from GTP and with the same bottom end and an SR cam (256/262 .64/.64) the motor did 440 at the rears (between valve train breakages). Now I have a hydraulic valve train, but rear wheel power should be solidly in 400s. I know that guys with stock bottom 350 LT1's and ported heads have made near or above 400 with cc 306 cams. I believe that my cam is more aggressive than that and I have another 46 cubes. I think compression is around 11.5.

I am hoping that there is some correctable defect in the assembly, or maybe just the tuning.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Looking for someone local? Just curious...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Charles Klein
Instructor

Originally Posted by EVIL
Looking for someone local? Just curious...
That would be ideal. If you are interested, send me an email with some details about what you'd recommend, and what it would cost.

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Demon Motorsports

Old 04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

pm sent.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Timmy!
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear all of this and wish you the best of luck! I had a great experience with SpeedDemon 4 years ago, but sometimes things change.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
88JDO
Racer

If your keys were returned without the remote access I'd be worried about the "disappearing". However, with what you have said, it probably wouldn't get very far.

Quick Reply: Speed Demon Motorsports