C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with nitrous need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 04:55 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think alot of the corvette audience would be real surprised how tough a little bottle or just a heads/cam package can be on these LS motors.

Once you take the first Nitrous hit...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoomz
A window switch is not used to stop fuel puddling , its used to turn off the nitrous before hitting the rev limiter so that your not spraying nitrous when your rev limiter turns off the fuel to the car .

The problem i see with a dry system is your hoping the MAF and the computer adjust the injectors fast enough to keep your a/f consistant with a 100 shot and anything over a 100-125 shot dry is asking for trouble because the stock injectors cant keep up.

No matter how well you tune the car your always going to have a lean spike on the initial hit of the dry nitrous system.

Another draw back to the dry kit is the need to tune the car to the nitrous hit for anything over a 100-125 shot (ie, bigger injectors and pcm tune)

With a dry kit you can not have a perfectly tuned n/a car and stab a 150 shot and expect it to have an acceptable a/f .

A wet kit will send fuel into the air intake track but puddling is not normal and is very very rare and is caused by user error not the wet system itself.

I started spraying my 99/a4 at 40k miles and made about 150 1/4 mile passes and loads of street racing before having to upgrade the tranny at 85k miles .

Dry kits work well if you pay the extra money for the other engine upgrades needed .

Wet kits need very little changing of the stock systems so its much cheaper and safer for the engine and your wallet .
Zoom, true on all accounts. I agree on dry if you go past 125hp, time for injectors. But, that added cost is worth it considering the safety built into redunant n20 noids on the dry kit.

More to the point,
on wet if your fuel noid sticks closed it is going to continue to spray n2o and then no way to add additional fuel (your after maf)so you run lean and problems (boom).
This does not happen on dry kits.

Wet kit and fuel noid sticks open, you'll keep pumping fuel even after you stop n20 shot, and fuel puddling can cause top to blow.
This does not happen on Dry.

Wet kit n2o noid sticks closed and now your pumping extra fuel and causing a rich condition that sometimes leads to the dreaded intake/hood removal, just do a search and you'll see this does happen.
This does not happen on Dry.

Wet kit and n2o noid sticks open after run at lower rpm, boom.
This does not happen on 5177 dry with redunant noids.

And also the low pressure bottle problem above points to dry as safer.

I believe Cartex is changing one of their big dog cars over to dry system, so maybe dry will get some respect in the future. I have run mostly wet over the last 20+ years, but I like dry on the ls1/ls6 for reasons stated and more.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:53 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
More to the point,
on wet if your fuel noid sticks closed it is going to continue to spray n2o and then no way to add additional fuel (your after maf)so you run lean and problems (boom).
You can solve this problem by getting a fuel safety shut off switch. It comes w/ just about any standard kit upgrade(gen x, etc) and as soon as the fuel pressure drops it shuts the n20 solenoid down. So even if your pump suddenly fails you'll be ok.

Another thing about all these solenoids sticking. Most solenoids are good for 5 years. If you are that concerned over them have them inspected every year or two or just go out and by a new set.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Javery20, your right, it's just examples of what can go wrong and not totally set in stone on every case. That is why most recommend the safety stuff, to help some of these issues.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:14 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLag
Thanks a lot guys can anyone point me in a direction as far as a website that sells these kits.
Don't know where in NJ you are, and ECS has the goods. I'm about 35 minutes from Mahwah if you ever want to stop by and go for a 150wet shot ride, give us a call.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Robert56
More to the point,
Originally Posted by JAvery20
You can solve this problem by getting a fuel safety shut off switch. It comes w/ just about any standard kit upgrade(gen x, etc) and as soon as the fuel pressure drops it shuts the n20 solenoid down. So even if your pump suddenly fails you'll be ok.

Another thing about all these solenoids sticking. Most solenoids are good for 5 years. If you are that concerned over them have them inspected every year or two or just go out and by a new set.
Can you put the fuel pressure safety switch after the fuel noid? Thats the only way I can see it protecting against a fuel noid failing to open but I don't see how this would work. Usually the FPSS is prior to the fuel noid (if there is a fuel noid at all) and just protects against, say, a fuel pump failure or deficiency. If the FPSS went on the far side of the fuel noid it would see 0 PSI until the fuel noid opened but the the relay would never trip to open the fuel noid for the FPSS to measure pressure because the FPSS would be preventing that.

The fuel noid introduces a single point of failure that the dry kit does not have. The only way around it would be to run two fuel noids in parallel.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by zoomz
A window switch is not used to stop fuel puddling , its used to turn off the nitrous before hitting the rev limiter so that your not spraying nitrous when your rev limiter turns off the fuel to the car .

The problem i see with a dry system is your hoping the MAF and the computer adjust the injectors fast enough to keep your a/f consistant with a 100 shot and anything over a 100-125 shot dry is asking for trouble because the stock injectors cant keep up.

No matter how well you tune the car your always going to have a lean spike on the initial hit of the dry nitrous system.

Another draw back to the dry kit is the need to tune the car to the nitrous hit for anything over a 100-125 shot (ie, bigger injectors and pcm tune)

With a dry kit you can not have a perfectly tuned n/a car and stab a 150 shot and expect it to have an acceptable a/f .

A wet kit will send fuel into the air intake track but puddling is not normal and is very very rare and is caused by user error not the wet system itself.

I started spraying my 99/a4 at 40k miles and made about 150 1/4 mile passes and loads of street racing before having to upgrade the tranny at 85k miles .

Dry kits work well if you pay the extra money for the other engine upgrades needed .

Wet kits need very little changing of the stock systems so its much cheaper and safer for the engine and your wallet .
Damn .. Robert56 had me sold on Dry ,,, now you say I need engine upgrades for it. Which ones are you talking about here?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Vince99FRC
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a dry system currently followed by a wet kit. Nitrous is fun if done right. Just make sure your tuning is dead on.. I backed my 1st stage down to 644rwhp/660rwtq and the wet will be controlled by a rpm progressive controller to keep my tq above 650rwtq all the way to 6800rpm. I have only done test with pump gas so far to see what is safe on pump. The most I have done on pump is 700rwhp dry spraying over 4200rpm. My 644rwhp run was also done on pump, but I sprayed at 3200rpm and 4 degree's of timing reduced with no hint of detonation. I log all my runs on a dynojet and then back them up on a mustang dyno with a 3600lb load. My second stage will receive an additional 4 degree's of timing reduced for a total of 20 degree's WOT timing while I am spraying close to a 300 shot total. Safety is important here. I could probably get away with 100 octane and 4 to 6 degree's of retard, but why chance it. My goal is 800rwhp at 6600rpm and 650rwtq from 3200rpm to 6800rpm. I am trying to create turbo like accel w/out the turbo price. Actually I should be faster than a similar horsepower turbo car because of how I am bringing on the nitrous..
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by bernrex
Damn .. Robert56 had me sold on Dry ,,, now you say I need engine upgrades for it. Which ones are you talking about here?
The only thing related to the engine you'd need to upgrade for a dry kit would be the injectors and an LS1 edit tune to make them work and pull some timing and perhaps a high volume fuel pump. This is only if you plan on running over 100-125 shot dry.

Over 100-125 a wet kit becomes 'cheaper'. To spray more than that dry becomes fairly expensive but is still 'safer' than wet IMO.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:15 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
I run a dry system currently followed by a wet kit. Nitrous is fun if done right. Just make sure your tuning is dead on.. I backed my 1st stage down to 644rwhp/660rwtq and the wet will be controlled by a rpm progressive controller to keep my tq above 650rwtq all the way to 6800rpm. I have only done test with pump gas so far to see what is safe on pump. The most I have done on pump is 700rwhp dry spraying over 4200rpm. My 644rwhp run was also done on pump, but I sprayed at 3200rpm and 4 degree's of timing reduced with no hint of detonation. I log all my runs on a dynojet and then back them up on a mustang dyno with a 3600lb load. My second stage will receive an additional 4 degree's of timing reduced for a total of 20 degree's WOT timing while I am spraying close to a 300 shot total. Safety is important here. I could probably get away with 100 octane and 4 to 6 degree's of retard, but why chance it. My goal is 800rwhp at 6600rpm and 650rwtq from 3200rpm to 6800rpm. I am trying to create turbo like accel w/out the turbo price. Actually I should be faster than a similar horsepower turbo car because of how I am bringing on the nitrous..
Sorry ... but this just blows my mind. Are you sure you haven't run a hose into one nose nostril !! How much longer can that engine last ?? "SCOTTY ... You can't push it anymore" .. its gonna blow.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:43 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by Vince99FRC
that's one bad azz ride you have.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by bernrex
Upgades depends on shot size you want. On my '97 I run 125hp dry with stock tune, timing, plugs and fuel system (never a problem one). Now every car is different and your's my need timing pulled or injector up size or ? to run the same. That's why a dyno tune is recommened for safetys sake.

Bottom line in my opinion is, if a wet or dry kit is set-up properly, you have a greater chance of expensive engine repairs with a n2o mechanical failure using a wet kit. Dry kits are safer by design, but the old saying applies for all of us: "Don't spray if You Can't Pay".

Quick Reply: People with nitrous need advice