C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle in Passengers Door.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 11:22 AM
lwilliams1950
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in Passengers Door.

I noticed a rattle in passengers door about 4 inches below the lock light. I can push in and it stops. I checked the panel and it is loose. It pulls out about 1 inch along the edge of the glass. They must have left some clips loose. Does anyone know the procedure for removing the panel so I can check and repair?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:45 AM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

Why not just bring it in to the dealer and let them fix it? Sounds like a 20 minute job.

Stan
Old 11-06-2004, 01:37 PM
lwilliams1950
Advanced

Yeah it probably would be but I have bought other vehicles including a Hummer from the dealer and when it comes to rattles they actually make it worse. I had rather do it myself as I am very picky.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:48 PM
Alx1rl
Racer

Might be some skittles or M&M's.

J/K they usually just snap, but really take it to any alarm shop or dealer, it really isnt a project, go to the dealer tip the guy $10. bucks, and it'll take them 5 minutes to snap it all properly.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:06 PM
lwilliams1950
Advanced

That sounds like a good plan..Maybe I can stand there and watch.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:51 PM
C8-Vette
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by lwilliams1950
Yeah it probably would be but I have bought other vehicles including a Hummer from the dealer and when it comes to rattles they actually make it worse. I had rather do it myself as I am very picky.
Don't blame you-Dealer will screw it up!
Old 11-08-2004, 10:28 AM
JimC6
Heel & Toe

Mine has the same exact rattle you describe. Both car vibrations as well as any bass in the radio sets it off. It's the only rattle so far I have on the car. Let me know if you are able to fix it as I have been avoiding the dealer for the same reason.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Slowly
Navigator

Me too, same problem that I had in my 04 BMW. It's truly annoying to have it "rattling" whenever I have the radio on. Would appreciate any additional advice!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:01 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I noticed a rattle in passengers door about 4 inches below the lock light. I can push in and it stops. I checked the panel and it is loose. It pulls out about 1 inch along the edge of the glass. They must have left some clips loose. Does anyone know the procedure for removing the panel so I can check and repair?
Well you have come to the right place, I also probably know what it is. There are 3 clips along the top of the panel, that dig into the panel and hook over a strip of metal pop rivited to the door. One of those clips probably came loose from the panel. You will need to squeeze the clip back together and it should be good. The procedure to remove the door panel is:
There are two screws you need to remove (I believe 25 torx) one is behind the door release button the button housing just pulls straight off, the other is under the armrest and it is just a hole. Then the panel pulls straight off, then up. The pijns that hold the panel on are long and noisy when you pull them out. There is a place to start the panel (a notch) that you can pry the panel out to start it near the rear of the door on the bottom. I use a Snap-on interior trim tool to start it but a screwdriver wrapped with a rag will work.
Hope this helps
Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 AM
C6MW
Advanced

I also have that same problem I wonder how many c6s have encountered this my vin is 3658 are any of yours close to mine?
Old 11-09-2004, 03:16 AM
richbell
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TedG
Well you have come to the right place, I also probably know what it is. There are 3 clips along the top of the panel, that dig into the panel and hook over a strip of metal pop rivited to the door. One of those clips probably came loose from the panel. You will need to squeeze the clip back together and it should be good. The procedure to remove the door panel is:
There are two screws you need to remove (I believe 25 torx) one is behind the door release button the button housing just pulls straight off, the other is under the armrest and it is just a hole. Then the panel pulls straight off, then up. The pijns that hold the panel on are long and noisy when you pull them out. There is a place to start the panel (a notch) that you can pry the panel out to start it near the rear of the door on the bottom. I use a Snap-on interior trim tool to start it but a screwdriver wrapped with a rag will work.
Hope this helps
All right Ted! Thanks for the door panel removal tips. I prefer to do mine also than take it to a dealer so they can figure it out. Pulled off my 97 C5 door panel within the first two weeks back then.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure that a disgruntled Bowling Green employee didn't plant the proverbial "Coke Bottle" in there...

Seriously, take into the dealer and have them check it.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:48 AM
Traffic Jams
Drifting

How hard do the door panels come off? It may just be some wires that didn't get fastened correctly (juts throw a zip-tie on them ). If anyone has enough ***** to rip off your door panel, take some pics while it's off!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:05 AM
IllinoisCorvette
Pro

Oh don't fool with it take it to the dealer and tell them you can't leave it with out a loaner. Usually they will look at something that small right away. some clip pins might be broken or missing and parts might have to be ordered anyway.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Oilpatch
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the same problem on the driver side door. It was the one issue I mentioned during a satisfaction survey call. I will take mine in. Hopefully, I can watch.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:55 PM
lwilliams1950
Advanced

Default I fixed it. Here's how.

I posted the original question on this thread and now thanks to the feedback I fixed it. I removed the door panel which was a piece of cake, by the way, and as I was about to remove it I noted the 3 clips at the top were all three off of the metal bracket that they clip to. They are metal also and they were rattling up against the metal bracket they clip over. I put all 3 clips over the bracket and re-aligned the door and put the torx srews back in..All is well. I just finished going over all the bumpy areas I can find and the rattle is definitely gone. It's an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I posted the original question on this thread and now thanks to the feedback I fixed it. I removed the door panel which was a piece of cake, by the way, and as I was about to remove it I noted the 3 clips at the top were all three off of the metal bracket that they clip to. They are metal also and they were rattling up against the metal bracket they clip over. I put all 3 clips over the bracket and re-aligned the door and put the torx srews back in..All is well. I just finished going over all the bumpy areas I can find and the rattle is definitely gone. It's an easy fix. Good luck.
Are you saying that TedG is worth something once in awhile and that we should put up with him a little longer?

Get notified of new replies

To Rattle in Passengers Door.

Old 11-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Alx1rl
Racer

happy to hear it! Good for you! Thanks for posting
Old 11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
corvetteaccess
1st Gear

Yeah TedG knows how to get the door panel off for sure..
appreciate it.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6Coupe
Are you saying that TedG is worth something once in awhile and that we should put up with him a little longer?
I wouldn't go that far.

Quick Reply: Rattle in Passengers Door.