Window Tint Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 01:06 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I just got back from the tinters, and I couldn't be happier! I was ready for any little "it's not our fault" comment when I brought it in, but they were overly nice about everything. I showed them the chafe marks in the rear quarters and asked them if they had insurance. The said yes if that will be necessary. I brought two king size sheets to drape over the working area this time. Two guy's took their time and were real careful with the removal and installation of the new tint. The second time turned out perfect. When they pulled the car outside, they had a detailer there to look at the chafe marks. He told me he could get them out, no problem. He took some stuff out of his bag and went to work. Ten minutes later, my rear quarters looked like new again. He said he used some stuff he got from the dealer. You can't buy it, he just happens to know some guys. He also showed me his truck. He has a Dodge Ram Quad loaded and it's black with dark tint all around. That truck looked wet. It was awesome. He said he uses this stuff on his windows too. The guy even gave me some to do my car later on. I got some hand shakes, and some "were sorry's", and come back if you have any more problems.......I drove home with a big smile on my face. I got my car back, and it's done right. The shop was X-Treme. They are in Houston and have been around over 15 years. I would go back to them again. I wasn't so sure last week, but they more than made it up to me with costomer service.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:20 PM
EricT43
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great ending to that story You must be very pleased. I think you did the right thing by going back to them, I would have done the same thing. In my experience it's usually easier to get a shop to re-do a bad job than to get them to undo it and give you a refund! And if they screwed it up a second time, you wouldn't have been any worse off than before, besides losing a day or two.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey folks.....I had my C5 tinted and the "bubbles" on the top of my rear hatch window were making me crazy.

Apparently, there is very little anyone can do to smooth out this area since the small round "bubbles" make it difficult for any tint to stick.

My tinter did something really neat to lose all of the bubbles at the top of the rear window.

Basically, he took a fine razor knife and cut the old tint that was on the "bubbled" area.

He followed one of the rear defroster lines to ensure his cut was perfectly curved to the bubbled area.

He then masked off the entire rear deck area, including the portion of the rear window that was tinted, but didn't have the bubbles to contend with.

Once he masked the area off, he took flat black high temperature paint and painted the entire area where the bubbles are.

The paint perfectly matched the windows surrounding black and looks incredible from both the inside and outside!!!

The best part is it had no effect on my rear view vision since you don't look through that part of your rear window anyway.

I highly recommend this procedure as it makes the rear view window appear to have much cleaner lines while eliminating the "bubbled" look on top of the rear window.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:26 PM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Looking for a place to tint in Northwest ,where is this place located?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:08 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Sorry.....I am in Phoenix.....but it really did not look difficult at all!
Old 10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
My tinter did something really neat to lose all of the bubbles at the top of the rear window.

Basically, he took a fine razor knife and cut the old tint that was on the "bubbled" area.

He followed one of the rear defroster lines to ensure his cut was perfectly curved to the bubbled area.

He then masked off the entire rear deck area, including the portion of the rear window that was tinted, but didn't have the bubbles to contend with.

Once he masked the area off, he took flat black high temperature paint and painted the entire area where the bubbles are.

The paint perfectly matched the windows surrounding black and looks incredible from both the inside and outside!!!

The best part is it had no effect on my rear view vision since you don't look through that part of your rear window anyway.

I had something similar done to my coupe. I went with semi-mirror (i.e., "Quantum") limo tint, but the shop used a black vinyl material at the top, instead of the paint. It is edge to edge perfect, and looks great inside and out.

It does not block the rear vision at all, and from outside, you can't tell where the factory black strip ends and the vinyl starts. I actually think it looks better than stock, because with the blacked out arc (they used the 4th defroster line from the top), the window expose on the rear is now in line with the side glass.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:12 AM
EricT43
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Sorry.....I am in Phoenix.....but it really did not look difficult at all!
Rob, can you tell us who did the work? I'm about 6 hours from Phoenix, but I could take the wife to Scottsdale for the weekend and get a pro-quality tinting while I'm at it
Old 10-19-2004, 07:03 AM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post the name of the shop on the Forum so others will stay away.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:22 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

thats

I have been fortunate..I have had the same guy locally tint....

BMW328
Dodge Durango
Jeep Cherokee
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner
99 Vette
RAV 4

and my entire 3500 sq ft house

he also does 90% of the work for people in our agency..he is slammed busy....and for good reason....he works alone and on occasion his daughter and her husband help him

his work is excellent, prices are right and he is a super nice guy

I refer him exclusively
Old 10-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Originally Posted by EricT43
Rob, can you tell us who did the work? I'm about 6 hours from Phoenix, but I could take the wife to Scottsdale for the weekend and get a pro-quality tinting while I'm at it
Eric:

I sent you a PM with all the info!

Rob
Old 10-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT
DRKNIGHT:

Nice comment...very nice!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Sebring_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave1
It's then I noticed a quarter sized black mark in the middle towards the top of the back window. I started rubbing it off and .....Damn...there was no tint underneath. These guys tore a hole in the tint and rather than doing the job right the gerk colores it in with a sharpie.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Sebring_C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DRKNGHT

Quick Reply: Window Tint Nightmare