C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

My day time running lamp keeps burning out

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 AM
bigstud4ubaby
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My day time running lamp keeps burning out

Hi all,

A few weeks ago my passenger side day time running light burnt out. I’ve since replaced it twice and now it’s burned out a 3rd time. This is really becoming an annoyance, does anyone have any expertise on how to solve this?

- Do I pull the day time running light fuse? Won’t the turn signal still burn out?
- Do I replace both sides at the same time? Could this be causing the problem?
- Is there water in there I don’t know about that’s causing this?
- Is it just bad luck?
- Are there better bulbs I can use that will last longer? I replaced them with the stock Silvania light, same as what came out OEM, should be fine.

Any help is appreciated. The 2nd time I replaced the bulb, it was shattered. Now I have bulb pieces in the signal, ridiculous!

Chris
Old 04-13-2004, 12:09 PM
bigstud4ubaby
Intermediate

Default Re: My day time running lamp keeps burning out (bigstud4ubaby)

I'm reading on here, someone replaced the DRL relay, and then the bulb. Anyone else try this? Now that makes sense, the relay is bad and sending the wrong voltage to the passenger bulb.

Chris
Old 07-24-2004, 04:13 PM
dhobson
Heel & Toe

I am having the same problem. Replaced twice in a month, since 2 came in the pack. I'm ready to go to the dealer, but don't want to be charged if it is not covered. Since mine burned out, i've noticed about 3 cars on the hwy with the right side bulb burned out. Please reply.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:32 PM
aseipos
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem here I think: passenger side front turn signal bulb burned out a week ago in my 02 after good years, I replaced it, and now just a week later, it's out again. If the same thing happens after one more replacement, I'll be pulling the DRL fuse!
Old 10-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bigstud4ubaby
Hi all,

A few weeks ago my passenger side day time running light burnt out. I’ve since replaced it twice and now it’s burned out a 3rd time. This is really becoming an annoyance, does anyone have any expertise on how to solve this?

- Do I pull the day time running light fuse? Won’t the turn signal still burn out?
- Do I replace both sides at the same time? Could this be causing the problem?
- Is there water in there I don’t know about that’s causing this?
- Is it just bad luck?
- Are there better bulbs I can use that will last longer? I replaced them with the stock Silvania light, same as what came out OEM, should be fine.

Any help is appreciated. The 2nd time I replaced the bulb, it was shattered. Now I have bulb pieces in the signal, ridiculous!

Chris
I'm not trying to be funny here.....but I actually want to turn mine off!!!! I have blackouts and don't like them on!!!

How do you turn them off and still have the turn signals work??
Old 10-16-2004, 08:43 AM
NotInTheHerd
Advanced

I had the same problem with the brake lights on my Trailblazer. Have not had the daytime running light issue on my Z06. There was a GM campaign to replace the socket assembly that the brake light bulbs plugged into on the Trailblazer and it fixed the problem.

I would take it to the dealer to see if there is a similar problem/fix for the Vette.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

To disable the DRL's pull the #2 Approach fuse under the hood. Your DRL's will NOT come on, but the signals and driving lights will function as normal. You will also get 3 codes on the DIC if you look for them, but no alarms or idiot lights on the dsash. Your backup lights will also no longer come on when you unlock the doors (if you have the lights set to come on when you push unlock).

Concerning the trouble with bulbs burning out......
On my '99 TransAM I was having the exact same problem, but there wasn't any obvious cause. I eventually figured out that they were burning out every time I went through a car wash. I found some very small cracks in the plastic in front of the signal/DRL bulbs that would allow water to enter. The water droplets would instantly shatter the glass on the HOT bulb. I used some clear packaging tape to temporarily cover the cracks until my replacement housing arrived.

Old 10-17-2004, 12:03 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by markcz
To disable the DRL's pull the #2 Approach fuse under the hood. Your DRL's will NOT come on, but the signals and driving lights will function as normal. You will also get 3 codes on the DIC if you look for them, but no alarms or idiot lights on the dsash. Your backup lights will also no longer come on when you unlock the doors (if you have the lights set to come on when you push unlock).
Thanks.......I hope I can find this...never looked for fuses before.

Had to find it using the manual.....but that did it....now I am stealth while on the run

Thanks again

Last edited by Macinamouth; 10-17-2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:05 PM
dhobson
Heel & Toe

Default Car wash link?

Interesting. 2 of my burnouts came after visiting a touch free carwash.
That's what I get for taking my vette to a carwash anyway. She likes the tender touch of sheepskin.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:26 PM
low flyier
Drifting

i have replaced the stupid buld three times the last time the dealer charge me 50 bucks for a new socket (said it had a short) and it did it again! after a car wash i believe it now to be caused by the under carrage spray on a delux car wash..it hits up from underneath and pops the bulb on comtact with the hot glass
Old 10-21-2004, 06:23 PM
jdgun_0013
Racer

seen the same problem as all of you, but now i just amke sure when i wash the car i keep as much water off the headlight area as possible.
been waiting for it to go after some rain, but hasnt popped yet.
you can see the moisure in the lens, so i will be pulling the turn signal unit out and use some silicone and seal it back up.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:37 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jdgun_0013
seen the same problem as all of you, but now i just amke sure when i wash the car i keep as much water off the headlight area as possible.
been waiting for it to go after some rain, but hasnt popped yet.
you can see the moisure in the lens, so i will be pulling the turn signal unit out and use some silicone and seal it back up.
Why don't you guys pull the fuse before you go the the car wash and when is raining?

Get notified of new replies

To My day time running lamp keeps burning out

Quick Reply: My day time running lamp keeps burning out