C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 VS. base plus Z06 swaybars

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:28 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Z51 VS. base plus Z06 swaybars

I have a Z51 on order but now am rethinking this. Will I notice much if any difference if I just get the base suspension and put on some heavy duty sway bars, (perhaps like those on the new Z)? I dont track the car at all and I'm sure this would significantly improve my wait time. I do want the "sporty" handling feel...
Old 11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by webdzynes
I have a Z51 on order but now am rethinking this. Will I notice much if any difference if I just get the base suspension and put on some heavy duty sway bars, (perhaps like those on the new Z)? I dont track the car at all and I'm sure this would significantly improve my wait time. I do want the "sporty" handling feel...
If I understand right, the brakes are upgraded also as well as coolers for the transmisison and engine oil, not to mention the more agressive gearing. In short, yes you will notice a difference, the key is how important is it to you?

If you were to buy a base car, improve the suspension, add trans and oil coolers, change the rear gear ratio, and improve the brakes you would spend a bunch more $$ than just buying the Z51.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:50 PM
RandyMi
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tranny are you getting?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RandyMi
What tranny are you getting?
The MN6. I wouldnt make any other changes to the tranny or brakes. I know for the money, its a great option. But, I do want the car sooner and will be buying it at GMID (as long as its this winter). So, to save the 7K, I'm really inclined to do this. The more aggresive gearing is the real drawback to me. I do want it as quick as possible but frankly, dont know if there is enough difference for a basic layman like myself to notice... If I put on bigger swaybars for the handling, will I still be angry at myself for the acceration differential?

(I will be putting on headers, catback and intake)...
Old 11-20-2005, 07:04 PM
RandyMi
Drifting

If you are getting the MN6, my advice go Z51, and leave the car alone!!

You can't dial it in any better then factory.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RandyMi
If you are getting the MN6, my advice go Z51, and leave the car alone!!

You can't dial it in any better then factory.
Presuming my dealer got an allocation and I got the car, I would agree.
But, heres why I ask:

1) The car I ordered was a loaded coupe but the dealer is small
2) Dealer will sell me the car at GMID - But only if delivery is this winter
3) Likelyhood of a small dealer getting a Z51 allocation is very low and wait time is high

I definitely DO want to buy at GMID - so in order to make this happen for certain, I have to eliminate the Z51 option. (I could wait and hope, but that may mean not getting a C6 this year at all) Accordingly, I'm trying to determine if the Z51 difference for somebody who doesnt track the car is worth waiting a year for....(and yes- to save 7500, I would wait rather than buy now at sticker). Is the acceleration difference of a MN6 Z51 THAT noticable vs. MN6 non-Z51?
Old 11-20-2005, 07:40 PM
RandyMi
Drifting

Presuming my dealer got an allocation and I got the car, I would agree.
But, heres why I ask:

1) The car I ordered was a loaded coupe but the dealer is small
2) Dealer will sell me the car at GMID - But only if delivery is this winter
3) Likelyhood of a small dealer getting a Z51 allocation is very low and wait time is high

I definitely DO want to buy at GMID - so in order to make this happen for certain, I have to eliminate the Z51 option. (I could wait and hope, but that may mean not getting a C6 this year at all) Accordingly, I'm trying to determine if the Z51 difference for somebody who doesnt track the car is worth waiting a year for....(and yes- to save 7500, I would wait rather than buy now at sticker). Is the acceleration difference of a MN6 Z51 THAT noticable vs. MN6 non-Z51?
The bottom line, get what you can get!! No matter what options you get, the first time you mash down on it, you will be happy with your choice. You can nit pick the decision all day, each suspension choice has advantages, go test drive, the only way to satisfy yourself!!

Good luck!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:08 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a thought but you can put in 3.90 gears and sways and be about even on price with the Z51. This will actually get you better gearing because the base car gets a closer ratio transmission. This puts the car at nearly the same gearing as the Z51 in 1st through 3rd and 6th. Fourth and fifth are lower. Much better out on the road in my opinion. This is what I did since the only thing I wanted from the Z51 was the gearing. Having said that If I wanted the Z51 I would have got it regardless of the wait. You can get one from Kerbeck (last I heard) for 3k under msrp so that would be another option.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 PM
RacrX
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Make it stoooooooooooooooop!!!

Old 11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Pssssssssssssst.....................hey buddy................................you wanna buy some sway bars?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:28 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crabman
This is a thought but you can put in 3.90 gears and sways and be about even on price with the Z51. This will actually get you better gearing because the base car gets a closer ratio transmission. This puts the car at nearly the same gearing as the Z51 in 1st through 3rd and 6th. Fourth and fifth are lower. Much better out on the road in my opinion. This is what I did since the only thing I wanted from the Z51 was the gearing. Having said that If I wanted the Z51 I would have got it regardless of the wait. You can get one from Kerbeck (last I heard) for 3k under msrp so that would be another option.
What will changing gears do to his factory warranty on his brand new car?
Old 11-20-2005, 08:53 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EB20003
Right. I'm not to likely to do that...
Old 11-20-2005, 08:58 PM
crabman
Safety Car

About as close to nothing as you can get. The only part of the warranty that would be in question would be the stuff thats directly affected by the part. Not a lot of stuff. As to the gears themselves, they seldom break when broken in correctly and they also come with their own warranty. The only way they would know is if you told em. Even if they were in your diff I dont think one in a thousand techs would count teeth. I sleep fine. And enjoy having the better gearing without the gap of the Z51 box. As always folks should make up their own mind about whats right for them. My very first words, "This is a thought" Get it? Here is something to think about, an idea, something to consider....
Old 11-20-2005, 09:00 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 298 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I would find a car already built. :thumbs Why wait?
Old 11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Pssssssssssssst.....................hey buddy................................you wanna buy some sway bars?

Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by RacrX
Make it stoooooooooooooooop!!!

"The road of life is only just so long."
Old 11-20-2005, 09:09 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Psssssssssst...................hey buddy......................wanna buy some sleep-eeze?

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 VS. base plus Z06 swaybars

Old 11-20-2005, 09:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crabman
About as close to nothing as you can get. The only part of the warranty that would be in question would be the stuff thats directly affected by the part. Not a lot of stuff. As to the gears themselves, they seldom break when broken in correctly and they also come with their own warranty. The only way they would know is if you told em. Even if they were in your diff I dont think one in a thousand techs would count teeth. I sleep fine. And enjoy having the better gearing without the gap of the Z51 box. As always folks should make up their own mind about whats right for them. My very first words, "This is a thought" Get it? Here is something to think about, an idea, something to consider....
I know I don't need to give it any thought. And the original poster, from his last reply probably does not either.

Changing the ring and pinion in a brand new car?????

Who do you take it back to when or if the gears start making noises???

Right. I'm not to likely to do that..
I don't blame you. Not when you can get the Z51 and get factory performance and not have to worry at all about your warranty.

Expecially if you are buying an extended warranty. IMO a much better investment over the long haul, on an all new C6 model Vette than a set of aftermarket gears.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-20-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:15 PM
jim213
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joeking
I would find a car already built. :thumbs Why wait?
They are out there you just need to do a search. Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MSammet
"The road of life is only just so long."
And that road can me made a lot smoother and easier to navigate with a new set of Z51 sway bars.

Let me get you a set..............come on...............all your buddies are gettin 'em.

Quick Reply: Z51 VS. base plus Z06 swaybars