C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Shawn84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet?

I like this supercharger, and have heads and cam, just wanting to know about how much HP I would get from it.
Thanks,
Shawn
Old 08-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet? (Shawn84&92)

The word out there is a stocker will easily gain 100RWHP, however, a H and C car will be less. Also, LPE says that headers will not help but only about 2-3 HP. Food for thought. I would have thought more would be obtained with tweeks. More of these Magnesson mods are hiting the street all the time. It will be interesting to see what numbers we see; especially if the HC car lowers compression and turns boost up one or two more pounds. :smash: :smash:
Old 08-31-2002, 04:43 AM
ZippoMan
Race Director

Xtreme is putting a Magnuson on a H/C car. I believe it'll be done in 3-4 weeks. Look for the resulsts!
Old 08-31-2002, 07:54 AM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet? (ZippoMan)

Steve02 is in the final process of completion on his car, Magnacharger w/ MTI heads/cam A4 Coupe. He should have his dyno numbers sometime this week. He will prolly post about it in the C5 Tech section or here.

I'm real interested in his numbers...I almost went with a similar setup but decided against it because of the Magnason's operating range limitations.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:48 AM
buddybgdog
Racer

Default Re: Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet? (C5Cemo)

What were the operating limitations?
Old 09-01-2002, 04:18 AM
C5Cemo
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet? (buddybgdog)

Because it is an non-intercooled roots type blower (practically a heat pump IMO). It is limited to boost amounts that are only suitable for a stock engine because of the heat generated without a intake charge cooling system....too much of which will create detonation :eek:

Changing the blower pulley is very limited as well because the faster the Manuson spins the more heat it creates.

As a result a head/cam or more modded engine will not be able to get the optimum amount of forced induction charge for it's best potential because ported heads and a big cam can flow more air/fuel than the Magnacharger can provide.

It would still function but will not benefit a heads/cam or greater engine, creating less boost, setup in percentage of gain as it will for a stock engine. Atleast a roots makes good low end and midrange torque.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:44 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

I can tell you that the ATI certainly works well with heads and cam.I would think the Magnuson would too. At least with a mild cam. The problem is that with so much power available , you're not going to be in the low RPM range for long enough to take advantage of the bottom end torque the Magnuson makes. For higher RPM HP numbers , I'd go with the ATI. We're making upwards of 600 RWHP with some H/C ATI setups. Although below 2500 RPM it may be a bit softer, as soon as you touch the throttle you're above that RPM anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done Magnason with H/C yet?