C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Installed - Not Totally Happy

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default MGW Shifter Installed - Not Totally Happy

No pics as so many have already been posted.

2008 coupe. The rubber boots under the console are different on the 2008's than what was used on previous years. For this reason, I should have taken a few pics.

More interior noise and stock **** rattles like crazy.

1. Took me longer to figure out how to get the damn shift boot down to get the stock **** off than it did to do anything else! You have to push up, twist and push down the chrome ring. Never have seen anyone mention this and it sure is not in the service manual. Manual says to carefully remove ring! Remove the phillips head screw on the drivers side of the shift **** and pull the **** straight off.

2. Getting the console off was no big deal at all and not as difficult as some here have made it sound. Took me maybe 15 minutes to take off. Did unhook wiring for the 4-way flashers, heated seats and cig lighter. Left other wiring connected and just layed the console on the passenger seat.

3. The 2008's have a thick black rubber seal that is held in place with 2 tabs, front and back. Unhook from the tabs and take off. (MGW instructions state you WILL NOT reuse this seal)

4. Next is the seal plate/rubber boot and you reomve 4 nuts and pull of the plate.

5. Remove the 4 bolts from the stock shifter and pull straight up.

6. Install MGW shifter and bolt in place with supplied hardware. I did not need to use the included tube of sealer as my stock gasket under the shifter was in great shape.

7. Now the fun begins! The stock seal plate/rubber boot will not go back on as the boot on the MGW is too big and must be left in place. You MUST reuse this part. You have to CUT out your stock seal to a size slightly less than the MGW boot and then slip the plate over the MGW boot and bolt in place. I of course cut the hole slightly too big and there is a gap between it and the MGW boot. This is probably where my additional interior noise is coming from. Tomorrow I plan to fill this gap with silicone. If no better, I will purchase a new factory seal plate/rubber boot and try again. There is NO MENTION of cutting the larger hole in the MGW instructions. The instructions say the stock plate will work fine, but there is just no way.

8. Again, the thick boot removed in step 3 can not be put back on. I am sure this also adds to the interior noise. It is just not sealed up good enough for my liking.

9. Hook wiring back up, install console and stock shift ****.

10. From about 1500 rpm up to about 4000 rpm, in gears 1 thru 4, the **** (at least I think it is the ****) rattles like crazy! I will pull this off tomorrow and fill the **** hole with silicone and see if this helps. I thought the 2 o-rings that MGW had added to the shaft were suppose to stop this, but they did not on mine.

11. Forget about the above. How does it shift? Just awesome baby! I really did not notice much of an increase in effort as the throws are so much shorter you do not even notice you "might" be pushing/pulling a bit harder. I do not see how anyone could ever miss a shift with this thing.

If I can just get less interior noise and the rattle taken care of, I will be totally happy.

2008 owners, just be aware that you are going to have to modify the factory seal plate/rubber boot. Be a bit more careful than I was, and I did think I was being careful, and you will be fine. I will get my little issues taken care of, so don't let my experience stop you from getting the MGW shifter for your Corvette. You will just love how it shifts!

Last edited by Swiftrider08; 04-03-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
akeyzoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, mine is in the mail for my 08. Appreciate the writeup.

Chris
Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM
0Coastal Boot
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
No pics as so many have already been posted.

2008 coupe. The rubber boots under the console are different on the 2008's than what was used on previous years. For this reason, I should have taken a few pics.

More interior noise and stock **** rattles like crazy.

1. Took me longer to figure out how to get the damn shift boot down to get the stock **** off than it did to do anything else! You have to push up, twist and push down the chrome ring. Never have seen anyone mention this and it sure is not in the service manual. Manual says to carefully remove ring!

2. Getting the console off was no big deal at all and not as difficult as some here have made it sound. Took me maybe 15 minutes to take off. Did unhook wiring for the 4-way flashers, heated seats and cig lighter. Left other wiring connected and just layed the console on the passenger seat.

3. The 2008's have a thick black rubber seal that is held in place with 2 tabs, front and back. Unhook from the tabs and take off. (MGW instructions state you WILL NOT reuse this seal)

4. Next is the seal plate/rubber boot and you reomve 4 nuts and pull of the plate.

5. Remove the 4 bolts from the stock shifter and pull straight up.

6. Install MGW shifter and bolt in place with supplied hardware. I did not need to use the included tube of sealer as my stock gasket under the shifter was in great shape.

7. Now the fun begins! The stock seal plate/rubber boot will not go back on as the boot on the MGW is too big and must be left in place. You MUST reuse this part. You have to CUT out your stock seal to a size slightly less than the MGW boot and then slip the plate over the MGW boot and bolt in place. I of course cut the hole slightly too big and there is a gap between it and the MGW boot. This is probably where my additional interior noise is coming from. Tomorrow I plan to fill this gap with silicone. If no better, I will purchase a new factory seal plate/rubber boot and try again. There is NO MENTION of cutting the larger hole in the MGW instructions. The instructions say the stock plate will work fine, but there is just no way.

8. Again, the thick boot removed in step 3 can not be put back on. I am sure this also adds to the interior noise. It is just not sealed up good enough for my liking.

9. Hook wiring back up, install console and stock shift ****.

10. From about 1500 rpm up to about 4000 rpm, in gears 1 thru 4, the **** (at least I think it is the ****) rattles like crazy! I will pull this off tomorrow and fill the **** hole with silicone and see if this helps. I thought the 2 o-rings that MGW had added to the shaft were suppose to stop this, but they did not on mine.

11. Forget about the above. How does it shift? Just awesome baby! I really did not notice much of an increase in effort as the throws are so much shorter you do not even notice you "might" be pushing/pulling a bit harder. I do not see how anyone could ever miss a shift with this thing.

If I can just get less interior noise and the rattle taken care of, I will be totally happy.

2008 owners, just be aware that you are going to have to modify the factory seal plate/rubber boot. Be a bit more careful than I was, and I did think I was being careful, and you will be fine. I will get my little issues taken care of, so don't let my experience stop you from getting the MGW shifter for your Corvette. You will just love how it shifts!
Not sure if you are talking about the seal that is held on with 4 bolts, but if you are the tight fit is supposed to be that way. You must force the factory seal over the MGW boot and hold it in place by pressing it down onto the MGW boot. The stock boot sits on top of the MGW boot so don't try to get it all the way down over the MGW boot.
Once you get the bolts started just tighten them down and you will have no noise in the cabin.
Since you cut the boot I guess you will have to replace it to get a good seal.
Good luck.

Last edited by Coastal Boot; 04-03-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by akeyzoo
Thanks, mine is in the mail for my 08. Appreciate the writeup.

Chris
Your welcome. You should print my post and use it to follow along with the MGW instructions. You will see exactly what I am talking about with the rubber boots under the console.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

You don't need to cut the factory piece. It isn't supposed to fit around but it pulls down. Some have said though that if you cut it to fit, it makes the shift effort easier. My shift effort is fine so I didn't go back and cut. I didn't re-use the white piece (mine is an 06) but I may cut and fit if noise ever becomes an issue.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Coastal Boot
Not sure if you are talking about the seal that is held on with 4 bolts, but if you are the tight fit is supposed to be that way. You must force the factory seal over the MGW boot and hold it in place by pressing it down onto the MGW boot. The stock boot sits on top of the MGW boot so don't try to get it all the way down over the MGW boot.
Once you get the bolts started just tighten them down and you will have no noise in the cabin.
Since you cut the boot I guess you will have to replace it to get a good seal.
Good luck.
Yes, that is the seal I am talking about. I did try your method as it is what is stated in the instructions. Had little luck. Another forum member posted a few days ago that he had the same issue (stiffness) and he called George at MGW. George told him to cut out the boot, so that is what I tried. I don't like it, so I guess I will order a new boot and just force the darn thing in place.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 PM
0Coastal Boot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by johnodrake
You don't need to cut the factory piece. It isn't supposed to fit around but it pulls down. Some have said though that if you cut it to fit, it makes the shift effort easier. My shift effort is fine so I didn't go back and cut. I didn't re-use the white piece (mine is an 06) but I may cut and fit if noise ever becomes an issue.
I think if you cut it it will not fit as tight and you will get noise.
You didn't mention if you were getting noise now.
DON'T CUT!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:44 PM
0Coastal Boot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Yes, that is the seal I am talking about. I did try your method as it is what is stated in the instructions. Had little luck. Another forum member posted a few days ago that he had the same issue (stiffness) and he called George at MGW. George told him to cut out the boot, so that is what I tried. I don't like it, so I guess I will order a new boot and just force the darn thing in place.
Just get the bolts started and then tighten them down.
The difference in effort is minimal and will get easier in time.
I also re-installed the rubber part held on the tabs just for the hell of it.
I have no noise and great shifting.
Good luck, I think you will really enjoy this mod.

Last edited by Coastal Boot; 04-03-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I also have an 08. Can you comment on a few items please?

-Position of shift **** after new shifter install? Does the straight shaft make things wierd?

-Using stock shift boot and ****. Does the new boot with chrome ring install ok on new shifter? Does the boot and ring stay in place?

-Can you explain removing the ring with more detail? You say push up, twist, pull down? Sounds awkward.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Can't understand why you had so much trouble. My '08 went back together perfectly with all parts in place and no cutting......That's what happens when you DON'T read the instructions......:-)

There have also been several threads on how to remove the **** on the '08's....

Last edited by Modshack; 04-03-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:40 PM
kaislick
Instructor

if it rattles contact george, he'll make it right, there are a couple little tricks some have needed to try
Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Nice pic of the '08 shifter area exposed, and the one of the shift **** too. Thank you for posting them, Modshack. It makes it clear as to how it all comes apart.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 04-04-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Modshack
Can't understand why you had so much trouble.
Looks like a nice change in 08. You must cut both seals to get them below the top flange on the shifter, this picture is not great but gives you the idea of how the 05,06,07 should look prior to installing the MGW rubber boot. This picture was when I updated my ball/shaft.

Last edited by Pipedreams; 04-04-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I helped a friend install the MGW in his 08 and we DID NOT cut the factory seal. I have an 05 and the shifter feels the same as his 08. We both used the MGW shifter ball and love it and have NO rattles at all. I was going to keep my stock shifter **** also but I'm glad I ditched it.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Modshack
Can't understand why you had so much trouble. My '08 went back together perfectly with all parts in place and no cutting......That's what happens when you DON'T read the instructions......:-)

There have also been several threads on how to remove the **** on the '08's....

Thanks for posting, but your picture of the rubber boot is really of no help as it is the factory seal/boot plate under that one shown in your picture that was the issue. Didn't need your dumb comment about not reading the instructions as I read them a bunch of times and followed them step by step. As far as that goes, you must not have read them yourself, as the instructions clearly state to LEAVE OFF the boot you show in your picture! Your picture of the shift **** is nice and would have been helpful before. Never have seen that picture, but I did figure it out, finally.

Heck, I tried something different and it didn't work. Really no big deal. I'll just get another plate and try again. Lets not attack each other here. Just letting people know my experiences.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
I also have an 08. Can you comment on a few items please?

-Position of shift **** after new shifter install? Does the straight shaft make things wierd?

-Using stock shift boot and ****. Does the new boot with chrome ring install ok on new shifter? Does the boot and ring stay in place?

-Can you explain removing the ring with more detail? You say push up, twist, pull down? Sounds awkward.

Thanks,
Dale
See Modshack's post #10 and then Pipedreams post #13. The upper MGW shaft for use with the stock **** is offset to the rear to duplicate the angle of the stock shaft. Puts the **** pretty much back in the same place as stock. This shaft is shown in Pipedreams post. Nothing wierd. Modshack's post shows a straight threaded shaft for use with the aftermarket ball *****.

The chrome ring and **** is shown in Modshack's post. The chrome ring has 2 internal pins that sit inside cam slots on the ****. You just push up and twist and the chrome ring will rotate in the cam slots and then go down. Easy once you know the trick. You can then get to the screw in the side of the ****. If using the stock **** with your new shifter, the stock boot and chrome ring go right back on with no problems since they attach to the ****. Not sure what people are doing with the boot when they use one of the aftermarket round *****.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

I would just try again. My car rattled with every shifter on the market until now. The effort MGW has made to eliminate the rattle and provide an extremely well made piece of equipment is amazing. B&M, Hurst,Callaway, cannot compare, no question.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Shifter Installed - Not Totally Happy

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kaislick
if it rattles contact george, he'll make it right, there are a couple little tricks some have needed to try
I know if I call George he will help, but I first need to take it for a drive without the stock **** installed so I can be sure that is the source of the rattle. I guess one tip is to put silicone down inside the stock **** to fill the dead areas and dampen any rattles.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

So "ALL" the original stock parts go back on? No cutting of any type is required to use this shifter? I was considering one of these but I don't want to start cutting stock parts to make the shifter work properly. Has anyone else had install issues with the MGW?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cthusker
So "ALL" the original stock parts go back on? No cutting of any type is required to use this shifter? I was considering one of these but I don't want to start cutting stock parts to make the shifter work properly. Has anyone else had install issues with the MGW?
The instructions from MGW state to use the stock parts as is, except for the "rubber cover" shown in Modshack's post #10. The instructions state to leave this piece off. As the other posts above have said, you should not have to cut anything and the instructions do not tell you to cut anything for a 2008 model. I did not like the fit, so I cut the one boot.

As I have said though, I do have rattle and additional interior noise that I need to figure out.

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Installed - Not Totally Happy