C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

A GM bulletin will be distributed to Dealers shortly.

This post is for those who have 100% bone stock Corvettes and want clarity on the tuning issue.

GM's New Software:

GM is rolling out a new procedure that can identify when a non-GM calibration has been installed in a vehicle. The new process checks a log to see what calibrations have been added. If the calibration does not have an official GM part number it, it is instantly identified as a tune or other calibration not supported by GM. If the log contains a GM part number the process digs a little deeper to find a series of numbers buried in other modules. This confirms that the part number is not a mask for a non-GM calibration. If the calibration is found to be a NON-GM calibration, as from a tune, GM is advising dealers that the warranty repair on the powertrain will not be honored. The dealership will need to provide proof if a powertrain failure has occurred that the calibrations are GMs before any repair is performed.

Furthermore, since GM can not determine what the impact of a non-GM calibration effect will have on the entire powertrain. GM will void the remaining powertrain warranty. This means engine, trans, drive shafts and differential will no longer be covered. This process has been tested on different Corvettes and other GM vehicles including Diesel's. The process correctly identifies cars with non-GM calibrations.

This also addresses those that think re-flashing the ECU before taking it back to the dealer is not detectable…..it is.

Owners, if you have not installed a tune or engine modification, don’t do it if you value your warranty. The consequences are giving up the 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain protection. If you have a tune already installed then be upfront if you encounter a problem.

NOTE: If anybody has had a true problem with a 100% bone stock car under normal driving conditions and needs further assistance feel free to PM me.

It goes back to the old saying; if you want to play you have to pay......or be willing to at some later date.

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

This will get interesting now.................
Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
yell01
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Just sounds like another way to save money on their end. Even though they know the tune didn't cause a problem, they'll just say sorry, you're SOL. We don't have to pay.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:08 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Gonna make a lot of tuners unhappy...
Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Well,I guess they're taking all the fun out of tinkering!! Still,430 horses and 424 lb ft.of torque and a VARARAM should do nicely!! ...and I guess a supercharger is out of the question!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by yell01
Just sounds like another way to save money on their end. Even though they know the tune didn't cause a problem, they'll just say sorry, you're SOL. We don't have to pay.
Not to officially start the debate, but how do you know your "tune" didn't cause the issue? Air / Fuel ratio can be a very important factor at WOT considering engine longevity or survival.

That's it - I'm a spectator only from this point forward.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

seems logical. They warranty their work and their configuration, if you want to monkey with it, go ahead, just don't expect someone else to fix your problems.

My warranty expired on Monday, let the engine mods begin!
Old 03-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

I do not blame GM. A manufacturer's warranty is based on a set of parameters and they cannot be responsible for tuning outside their performance envelope.

Owners are free to do whatever they want, but they have to understand this and accept the responsibility. Pretty fair, I think.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This issue has been debated here for a long time. Can GM tell if you had a turn and flashed it back to stock? Sounds like the answer is yes.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the authoritative source? Where did you get this? Did you write it yourself? Do you have a link?

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
A GM bulletin will be distributed to Dealers shortly.

This post is for those who have 100% bone stock Corvettes and want clarity on the tuning issue.

GM's New Software:

GM is rolling out a new procedure that can identify when a non-GM calibration has been installed in a vehicle. The new process checks a log to see what calibrations have been added. If the calibration does not have an official GM part number it, it is instantly identified as a tune or other calibration not supported by GM. If the log contains a GM part number the process digs a little deeper to find a series of numbers buried in other modules. This confirms that the part number is not a mask for a non-GM calibration. If the calibration is found to be a NON-GM calibration, as from a tune, GM is advising dealers that the warranty repair on the powertrain will not be honored. The dealership will need to provide proof if a powertrain failure has occurred that the calibrations are GMs before any repair is performed.

Furthermore, since GM can not determine what the impact of a non-GM calibration effect will have on the entire powertrain. GM will void the remaining powertrain warranty. This means engine, trans, drive shafts and differential will no longer be covered. This process has been tested on different Corvettes and other GM vehicles including Diesel's. The process correctly identifies cars with non-GM calibrations.

This also addresses those that think re-flashing the ECU before taking it back to the dealer is not detectable…..it is.

Owners, if you have not installed a tune or engine modification, don’t do it if you value your warranty. The consequences are giving up the 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain protection. If you have a tune already installed then be upfront if you encounter a problem.

NOTE: If anybody has had a true problem with a 100% bone stock car under normal driving conditions and needs further assistance feel free to PM me.

It goes back to the old saying; if you want to play you have to pay......or be willing to at some later date.

Mike
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like a completely logical and rational stand for GM to take. Have no problem with it.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:36 PM
almondted
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I am currently 100% stock but was wanting to tune her up real soon! Any tuners going to chime in?
Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by adias
I do not blame GM. A manufacturer's warranty is based on a set of parameters and they cannot be responsible for tuning outside their performance envelope.

Owners are free to do whatever they want, but they have to understand this and accept the responsibility. Pretty fair, I think.
if you change the engine management I don't see why they should be liable
Old 03-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The fact that GM will deny vast portions of your warranty coverage because of a tune should not be a surprise to anyone (not that I'm clairvoyant but I've said as much all along). I mentioned previously that my dealership was aggressively checking diesel trucks a while back for the so-called ‘tuning chips.’

It sounds like GM will now routinely check for evidence of altered tuning parameters when you take your Corvette in...if the checksum doesn't verify that's it.

I can't blame GM for doing this...they spend a fortune providing warranty coverage on the products they design and engineer...not their products which have been (performance) altered.

You're right...if you want to play be prepared to pay.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,599 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Fine with me. GM isn't going to warrant my set up anyway
Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder if this applies to GMPP???????

Get notified of new replies

To A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines

Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 PM
akeyzoo
Advanced

That is a deal breaker for me if true. Good friend is a service tech which may be my saving grace...

I have an 08 with a vararam in the mail. I think it would be reckless of me to lose a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty to gain 15-20 HP with a tune.

Chris

Last edited by akeyzoo; 03-27-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

What do you bet that some of the "big" tuners get some GM certifications and lock their tunes.... Magnusson for example.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
my2005c6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me ask this question.

The purchase of a pre owned C6 that at one time had a "tune". Is the current owner now denied warranty coverage?

Quick Reply: A Soon To Be Official Update: GM Warranty on Aftermarket Tuned or Calibrated Engines