Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Need advice on C6 base stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:27 AM
El Puto
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on C6 base stereo upgrade

I have a 07 1LZ and actually like the base stereo, except I'd like more bass and a somewhat fuller sound. I don't know $hit about car audio, so dumb it way down for me. Thanx.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by El Puto
I have a 07 1LZ and actually like the base stereo, except I'd like more bass and a somewhat fuller sound. I don't know $hit about car audio, so dumb it way down for me. Thanx.
I'll warn you up front, the only way to get truly good sound in our cars is to start all over again. The design choices and components used in the stereo make it practically impossible to get significant improvement with simple changes. Now I also will admit that what I perceive as significant is a bit different than alot of folks, so you have to know your preferences when you're making these decisions.

Getting more bass is fairly easy. You can tap into the low level signal at the head unit and feed an amp to power a subwoofer. Easiest way to go is to install the JL Stealthbox, which goes for about $500. Another $200 or so for an amp to drive it.

Cleaning up the front stage is where things get tough. The only thing you can really do on the cheap is to replace the 3.5" speakers in the doors and maybe the dash with a coaxial. Folks have used Boston Acoustics, Eclipse and Infinity coaxials for this, with varying results. You'll definitely get improved highs as the stock system doesn't even have a tweeter in it(yes, believe it). However to my ear on the one system I helped a friend do this it made the big drop from the 3.5" to the sub far more noticable - a midbass hole essentially. Might not be as bad on the non-Bose system because the sub is an 8" and not a 10", but it depends on where they have it crossed over. If you want to keep the budget down however, this is really your only choice.

If you don't mind spending more, then the thing to do is replace the front stage entirely and disconnect the dash speaker (useless IMO). Get a nice pair of 6.5" coaxials and mount them in the doors driven by an outboard amp. Ideally I'd replace the head unit as well but you could get away with using the stock head.

You may notice that I have ignored the rear speakers. That's because they don't really do a whole lot so I don't worry much about them. Alot of folks don't even run a rear soundstage (I don't in my vert). Rear is for fill. Our cabins are quite small and don't require much in the way of fill.

Take a look at my install thread for my vert, will give you an idea of the scope of the project.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 AM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Add a small amp and a JL Audio Stealth box, that will improve your bass a lot... You will need to tap into your system to be able to pull the signal off of the head unit... There are several adapters from PAC and Peripheral
to be able to do that...
Old 10-27-2007, 11:11 AM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Gut everything from the head unit to the speakers. I replaced everything in my car and the sound is great. The only thing I need to change out is the sub. Right now I have a standard sub box that goes in the back of SUV's just sitting there. I need to get a stealthbox or custom box.

Anyways I was able to run all my new components in the doors and the sub off of a single amp Alpine PDX 4.150.

I dont use the rear speakers but if you want to you can run them from the aftermarket radio's amp. I used a AVIC D3 for my head unit and Pioneer components in the doors.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:19 PM
El Puto
Drifting

Thank you - I'll go with the JL stealthbox and amp for now. Where can can get such equipment and instructions on how to install? Thanx.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Steve@AudioConcepts
6th Gear

I use the JL clean sweep to get a nice flat response from the stock corvette head unit, then we add a significant ammount of soud dampening to the doors, inside and outside panels. Then all the remaining holes in the doors are filled with plugs, Next 10" pioneer shallow mount subs are mounted in the doors, above that we custom mount JL C5 5.25"coaxial mounted speakers above the 10" in its own sealed pod, this keeps the 10" from messing with the 5.25" frequencies, the the rear speakers are replace with JL C5 6.5" coaxial speakers, to run the system we use JL audio 300/4 to run ther mids, and a 250/1 for the door subs, the result is Amazing bass and clean full mids and high's. Plus It looks completely stock.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:20 PM
El Puto
Drifting

will an Eclipse amplifier work with the JL stealthbox?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Spkrboy
Pro

Originally Posted by Steve@AudioConcepts
I use the JL clean sweep to get a nice flat response from the stock corvette head unit,
You don't need the CleanSweep. It's an extra component that serves no purpose. The factory head has a flat response.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1507261

Last edited by Spkrboy; 10-28-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on C6 base stereo upgrade

Quick Reply: Need advice on C6 base stereo upgrade