C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs

I met with the Pulstar guys here in Albuquerque and they were super to work with. They will let me use their dyno and a set of plugs on my 2007 C6 with slight mods. I would like to do a base run, a run with their plugs, and some more where I can change timing and fuel curves. I have HPTuners to change the ecm tunes, and to log the runs to look at what's going on. Will also use my own wide band. I feel my car is close to max now, since I have tuned it on a different dyno. Will be good to see if more Tq/Hp can be found.

I have absolutely no financial interest in this and will honestly report my results as I see them. I would appreciate some courtesy and no bashing from other members. More to come.

JW in Albuquerque
Old 08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone attend this? I am sure the "at their dyno" part isn't going to persuade many people here. The more known witnesses there the better.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:56 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the plugs and use an independant shop dyno. You won't prove anything if you use their dyno.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

I won't be looking at the overall numbers, just the difference. I have run dynos myself in the past, so I will be right there watching. They have agreed to let me use their dyno so I won't be under any time constraints. Like I said, I am strictly interested in the delta values while keeping all the outside factors as close as possible.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:31 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Cant wait to see the results!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:38 PM
vette05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Cant wait to see the results!
Me too!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:39 PM
11secondGP
Burning Brakes

run it with the pulstars then w/o then again with the pulstars and then w/o.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
dbradley
Pro

And if there's any way, make it blind runs. That is 'they' don't know which plugs are in the thing.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:51 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Where and what time? I'd like to watch this also.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

Hey sexspeeder - gonna be Tuesday morning at 0815. Would be nice to have another person there to help me. I will fill you in more at the breakfast tomorrow. If I do find some gains, I might go back to the Dynojet and see what that one says. If time permits, will try original run a second time.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
jmX
Drifting

Try to get correction factors of the runs posted on the dyno sheets. It's pretty easy to play with those and show a 50hp gain.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Nav Vet
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbradley
And if there's any way, make it blind runs. That is 'they' don't know which plugs are in the thing.
That, is a good idea.

Also, sounds like you know what your're doing...can't wait for the results
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This should be interesting...if by some divine intervention these plugs make power they better be ready to be swamped with orders, lol.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:32 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."

Ok this is in no way a bash on anyone, but let me just point out a possible argument before the actual test. You arrive at the shop at 8:15 and strap your car on the dyno. The motor is probably quite warm and in a somewhat heatsoak-like condition. You make your runs and record the results. Then you change the plugs, and since you probably wont be doing that on a super hot motor, you're going to let it cool for a bit. That combined with the install time of the plugs will give the engine sufficient enough time to cool back down. Then you do another dyno run and all of a sudden there are gains. No peak or final number discrempancies, just the "delta". This is an advertisment tactic used for years and is unrealistic to say the least. But I applaud you for volunteering.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:26 PM
NIGHTSTALKER
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

I hear exactly what you are saying, kObun. I always run a diagnostic log from HPTuners while making the dyno run. Two of the PIDS I use are ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) and IAT (Intake Air Temp). With a short cooldown period, My ECT is usually 180-185 and the IAT stays around 88. The dyno guy has plenty of large fans, and I will keep these two temps in mind. Thanks for the suggestions - I am open for any more.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
don.donc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vettepartz
I hear exactly what you are saying, kObun. I always run a diagnostic log from HPTuners while making the dyno run. Two of the PIDS I use are ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) and IAT (Intake Air Temp). With a short cooldown period, My ECT is usually 180-185 and the IAT stays around 88. The dyno guy has plenty of large fans, and I will keep these two temps in mind. Thanks for the suggestions - I am open for any more.
also please pay attention to the weather data on the dyno. fudging 1" in BP (which is less likely for others to catch) will make a huge difference in dyno number. 29rwhp just isn't going to happen. you are using pure 91 octane gas, right?

Get notified of new replies

To Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs

Old 08-31-2007, 05:42 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by don.donc
also please pay attention to the weather data on the dyno. fudging 1" in BP (which is less likely for others to catch) will make a huge difference in dyno number. 29rwhp just isn't going to happen. you are using pure 91 octane gas, right?
The Pulstar engineer we are talking with said they expect 3-5% gains. I expect this test to be an OK test since it seems vettepartz knows what he is doing. When we run the tests everything will be duplicated as close as possible (our dyno is completly enclosed & climate controlled to accomplish this). I am anxious to see both his & our results.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Brett Hunter
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's good to hear that they are moving forward with testing by independent people.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Vettepartz
Pro

Thanks for the kind words of support, TLewis. We will definately have to make some comparisons. I always get a copy of the dyno run-file for the DynoJet's, and do some serious studying later at home. It is nice that dynoJet makes their software available free on the internet so that anyone can do this. However this is a Mustang, and I am not sure how to get their software if it is available.
And yes, always use 91 octane and at least a quarter tank of gas or more. The tech at Pulstar seems to be extremely helpful and willing to help in any way, so I think we all can gain something from this.
I really do not think I will get anywhere near the gain in HP as a stock motor, but this is where TLewis can show us what he is working with. I am taking a positive attitude in this whole thing, but will not allow for any undue 'corrections' that can skew any results.

Quick Reply: Gonna Dyno Tuesday With Pulstar Plugs