Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AVIC-D3 to GMCO harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Default AVIC-D3 to GMCO harness?

What is the difference between the "dimmer" wire and the "dash lights" wire coming out of the GMCO? And which should go to the "illumination" wire on the AVIC D-3?
Old 05-28-2007, 01:18 PM
jinkikim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it yesterday. It seems both lines from GMCO do not work. Even I don't get 12V from both lines when I turned on headlights. One of members suggested to use tail lamp signal.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...highlight=GMCO

I read from some article:

Illumination: constant 12V when lights on
Dimmer: Variable voltage from 12 V to 5 ~ 6V (by dim ****)

Last edited by jinkikim; 05-28-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:43 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would use the wire to the orange LED behind the passenger's sunvisor for the AVIC-D3 illumination wire. I tapped into the parking light indicator at the instrument panel because that is where I had to get to the VSS wire with my 2LT non-bose single CD 2006 Coupe. The way I did it, the AVIC-D3 goes into night mode when the headlights are on. The better way is to use the Vette's signal to turn on the interior lights for night mode like the orange LED.

To illustrate why this is an issue, if you are running wipers the headlights come on after 15 seconds, even if there is a lot of ambient light.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:54 PM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I would use the wire to the orange LED behind the passenger's sunvisor for the AVIC-D3 illumination wire.
I like your idea here... I will be attempting to install an AVIC-Z2 into my 3LT, C6 in the next few days. (My first NAV install... done other basic stereo installs before)

Any ideas, on the best way to route a wire up to that light? IE: How, and what I would need to remove??

I sure hope I haven't gotten in over my head! Most of the install seems pretty straight forward... Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by USAF_C6
I like your idea here... I will be attempting to install an AVIC-Z2 into my 3LT, C6 in the next few days. (My first NAV install... done other basic stereo installs before)

Any ideas, on the best way to route a wire up to that light? IE: How, and what I would need to remove??

I sure hope I haven't gotten in over my head! Most of the install seems pretty straight forward... Thanks in advance for any help!
Hi USAF_C6,

I haven't wired mine to the orange LED -- I was simply pointing out that the way I wired the illumination wire didn't turn out to work they way I thought it would. And of course in answering that question I exposed the fact that I do drive my Corvette in the rain!

You can remove the screw that holds the orange LED and the visor bracket and pull it out to get to the wire. I ran a microphone wire for the cellular bluetooth adapter up from the passenger's footwell up behind these windshield moldings so there is plenty room to get another wire from the visor down to the head unit via the footwell.

The only other tip I can give you (because I blew it on my install and had to redo it) is that the Corvette has a power antenna. Not a power retractable antenna, but an amplified antenna. So if you do not connect the power antenna lead on your head unit to the Corvette wiring harness, your AM/FM reception will be really, really bad.

Best of luck, Bert
Old 08-10-2007, 11:38 PM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Guys, use something much simpler...

Tie into the light for the traction control / AH switch...

It worked perfectly for my Kenwood 7100... And very easy to get to...

It comes on with the lights... I also don't have it going on when its high ambient light out but the lights are on (like the rain situation).

Last edited by ttomczak; 08-10-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM
USAF_C6
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttomczak

It comes on with the lights... I also don't have it going on when its high ambient light out but the lights are on (like the rain situation).
Wow! Totally forgot about that one! Much closer!

Is there a specific wire I should be looking for? It's been awhile since I pulled the console... Can't remember how many wires are on that swtich.

If we can get which wire worked out, I'll use that for the Illumination, and I'll run the mic for the bluetooth up towards the mirror. Thanks guys!
The following users liked this post:
Jmelz (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2007, 08:49 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Great idea! Wish I'd have thought of that one.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

hey guys I am installing my D3 this weekend as well, I have a few questions if someone would share knowledge with me and thanks for the tip for illumination.

Where did ya all mount your GPS antenna ?

Are you using the RCA plugs on the GMCO, I have bose and was told by knowlegable sourse that would work.

Where are you going to hook up the VSS wire ?

Are you going to the rear for reverse sensor ?

Good luck I hopw we both get ti in and working

Last edited by jdurhan; 08-11-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 AM
ttomczak
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Look at this link, it shows you where the VSS / parking brake wire is...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1518095

As to the antenna, I have mine at the windshield in the center of the dash. You could also use the center channel cavity for a "stealth" install (assuming you don't use the center channel for on-star etc...)

On the AH switch, there are only 3 wires, I remember it being obvious, but I will guess it was the green wire... I did check it with a dmm though...

I ran my mic and put a drop of hot glue to the bottom center of the mirror, it works great! Now I can swivel it to my direction or the passenger for clarity, also, its hardly noticeable...

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ttomczak; 08-11-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Excellent thinking!!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 AM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Center channel cavity ??? where is that ?

Thanks for the pther tips, I'm off to get some supplies and get started.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:58 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jdurhan
Center channel cavity ??? where is that ?

Thanks for the pther tips, I'm off to get some supplies and get started.
There's a cavity around the speaker that's in the middle of the dash. It's a logical place to stow it since the antenna can "see" through the dash itself. The factory NAV antenna is more or less in that location.

I don't know if you actually need to remove it to put the antenna there, but the grille over the center channel comes off fairly easily. There are clips on either end plus a couple on each side in the middle. Pry around the edges of it carefully. The one thing to keep an eye on is the sun sensor there - there's a wiring harness attached to it so it gives it a short leash. It is easily detached from the sensor so you can pull the whole grille off.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
jdurhan
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
There's a cavity around the speaker that's in the middle of the dash. It's a logical place to stow it since the antenna can "see" through the dash itself. The factory NAV antenna is more or less in that location.

I don't know if you actually need to remove it to put the antenna there, but the grille over the center channel comes off fairly easily. There are clips on either end plus a couple on each side in the middle. Pry around the edges of it carefully. The one thing to keep an eye on is the sun sensor there - there's a wiring harness attached to it so it gives it a short leash. It is easily detached from the sensor so you can pull the whole grille off.
Thanks Dan, well I got most of the wiring done today including running the wire to rear taillight. I tested the AH switch and it didnt have much voltage it seemed, so I ran it to the rear. I did get the D3 to play music as I wanted to be sure before wired everything, sounds great thanks for the RCA tip.

I put both antenna's right on top of the middle a/c vents, saw another thread where a guy did that, they fit good and looks nice & neat.

Put the bluetooth behind radio velcrowed to firewall area.. fit great.

Put the sirius in the fuse box cavity right under the bose amp.. it to fit great there. Just a few connections in the morning and it should all work.. hopefully. It's beer thirty now.

Get notified of new replies

To AVIC-D3 to GMCO harness?

Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 to GMCO harness?