Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Cobalt Friction brake pads on LG Motorsports WC Corvettes

Old 03-27-2007, 07:03 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Cobalt Friction brake pads on LG Motorsports WC Corvettes

Hi guys,

We recently switched to Cobalt brake pads starting at the Sebring World Challenge race. My race report is 100% positive.

In fact they are without a doubt better than ANY brake pad that I have used up till now.

We used PFC for the last 3 years with great success but we were always just a bit off. After trying the Cobalt pads for the first time at the Daytona 24, I was impressed so much that we arranged a test here on my World Challenge Corvettes.

The results speak for themselves. We had 2 cars below the old track record and my team mate, Doug Peterson, captured the pole by more than a second.

My other team mate also finished on the podium passing every car under braking. It was a beautiful thing.

Yes, we are now a distributor of these pads so there is a profit motive but we sell PFC and Hawk etc also. I can say that I have not been this excited about a brake pad in a very long time.

I was particularly impressed by their cold performance and how well they performed at over 1200 degree rotor temp.

We have them available now for Corvette C6, C6 Z06 and C5s. Give us a call for more info.

Thanks and

See you at the races.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/

Lou Gigliotti LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 03-27-2007 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Dvlray6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Yes, we are now a distributor of these pads so there is a profit motive but we sell PFC and Hawk etc also. I can say that I have not been this excited about a brake pad in a very long time.

I was particularly impressed by their cold performance and how well they performed at over 1200 degree rotor temp.

We have them available now for Corvette C6, C6 Z06 and C5s. Give us a call for more info.

Thanks and

See you at the races.

http://www.cobaltfriction.com/

Lou Gigliotti LGM
Lou,
Do you feel these are suitable street pads or is this a dedicated racing pad? How is the noise and dust?
Old 03-27-2007, 07:46 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by Dvlray6
Lou,
Do you feel these are suitable street pads or is this a dedicated racing pad? How is the noise and dust?
I know the dust is less than the stock Z06 pads for sure. In fact the dust is like a Low dust pad.

The noise from the XR2 race pads on the street has only shown up a couple of times. But remember the XR2 pads are one of the extreme pad compounds. I have not tried the AutoX pads but I plan on trying it soon.

We have them available now for Corvette C6, C6 Z06 and C5s.

Here is the pricing for each compound and application.

: $369.00 C6 Z06 FRONT -- XR2 RACE COMPOUND

: $249.00 C6 Z06 REAR -- XR2 RACE COMPOUND
:
: $269.00 C6 Z06 FRONT -- GTS HPDE/AUTOCROSS COMPOUND

: $249.00 C6 Z06 REAR -- GTS HPDE/AUTOCROSS COMPOUND
:
:
: $269.00 C5 FRONT -- XR2 RACE COMPOUND

: $249.00 C5 REAR -- XR2 RACE COMPOUND
:
: $189.00 C5 FRONT -- GTS HPDE/AUTOCROSS COMPOUND

: $169.00 C5 REAR -- GTS HPDE/AUTOCROSS COMPOUND

I used the XR2 compound all around for the Sebring race and for the Charlotte test where we were 2nd fastest to the Caddy by less than 5 hundreths of a sec to Pilgrim and a tenth faster than Jimmy Johnson.

Doug Peterson used the XR3 compound at Sebring but switched to the XR2 compound for Charlotte.

The XR2 has more torque than the XR3 compound. So the smaller the number the more aggressive the pad compound.

There is little or no dust since they are made of a ceramic/metalic composite.

I am running the XR2 compound on my street C6 Z06 for now and will try the Autox pad soon.

Thanks
Lou G
:
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Dvlray6
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

:

:
:

:

Will these fit the Stoptech BBK yall sold me a few months back? Someone has created a ceramic pad that holds up under heat with low dust and low noise... Wow!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by Dvlray6
Will these fit the Stoptech BBK yall sold me a few months back? Someone has created a ceramic pad that holds up under heat with low dust and low noise... Wow!
We use them on our race car so the answer is yes. I don't have the pricing on them but yes, they are available.

Just let us know.

LG
Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am currently using the Hawk HP Plus on my '07 Z. They have good stopping power but create lots of dust and are amazingly loud around town.

Car will see heavy track usage yet still see the street. What do you recomend?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
blkz
Pro

Lou , do the cobolt pads fit Brembo calipers?
Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by blkz
Lou , do the cobolt pads fit Brembo calipers?
They have pads for every brand of caliper for sure.

they do not make as much dust as some others due to their compound formulation. But there is some dust.

Noise? Yes, but on my own Z06 it was not there as often as some other pads I have used.

thanks
LG
Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
cobaltfriction
2nd Gear

Default Cobalt Friction XR-Series Brake Pads

The Cobalt XR-Series Carbon-Ceramic brake pads are based on hybrid sintermetal technology coupled with secondary carbon precursor deposition, making them unlike any other brake pad on the market. The XR-Series is the result of considerable R&D, taking from what we have learned over the years working with race teams in Grand Am Rolex & Cup, World Challenge, and SCCA club racing. The benefits of the new materials are:

(1) much broader temperature range (50F min)
(2) zero-bedding
(3) excellent disc finish and pad wear rates
(4) unsurpassed consistency

The XR-Series materials are resinless and thus do not require outgassing or traditional bedding, providing true "out of the box" race performance. This performance attribute had been supported by/with numerous teams in Grand Am and World Challenge starting races with new discs and pads. Reference teams include Blackforest Motorsports (Grand Am Mustangs in GS and GT classes) and LG Motorsports (World Challenge GT Corvettes), as well as factory supported GM race programs in various series. Resin-based materials, which include all pads from the major manufacturers (as well as Cobalt's previous generation materials), rely on a combination of metallic fibers and resin as a source of primary structure (metallic powders also contribute when used in formulations requiring higher compaction pressures (above 10tsi, generally speaking), but to a lessed extent). As a resin-based material is heat cycled, the resin outgasses and at temperatures approaching and exceeding 1000F, begin to decompose; this is why you will see resin-based materials crumble and chip at the edges after multiple heat cycles. The Cobalt XR-Series materials, being based on hybrid sintermetal technology, are compacted at much higher tonnages (exceeding 20tsi), do not utilize metallic fibers, and achieve structural integrity via controlled atmosphere (nitrogen/hydrogen mix) sintering processed at temperatures exceeding 2000F. Thus, they possess much higher performance consistency over the life of the pad, both during a given session/race, and also when run after multiple heat cycles; e.g. pads that are used 3 weeks after a race still have the same performance characteristics as a new set.

Traditional sintermetallic compounds contain upwards of 50%-V metallic powders or fibers. Cobalt Friction has developed a method of sintering which permits a much lower metallic powder content, with maximum of 30%-V, and allows neck formation between metallic, ceramic, and carbon particles. The result is a material that is 70%-V carbon-ceramic, yet still maintains excellent structural integrity at temperature exceeding 1600F. Similarly, the high carbon-ceramic (5 types of carbonaceous materials, and 4 types of ceramic materials) content lends itself to a much higher specific heat capacity (joules per gram per kelvin) (up to 50% higher than traditional resin-based materials).

Lastly, please note that LG Motorsports is the exclusive supplier for Cobalt XR-Series brake pads for Corvette fitments (C5 and C6); please contact LGM directly.

Regards,

Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

Do these wear the discs faster than the stock pads?
Old 06-03-2007, 09:57 PM
cobaltfriction
2nd Gear

Regarding wear, it is important to compare apples to apples. Race pads are designed for usage at the track: (1) higher temperatures, (2) higher line pressure and energy brake applications, etc. On the street, noise and dust are primary OE pad design parameters, and temperature resistance outside of spirit street driving is a secondary concern. Likewise, it is important to select the proper pad for the type of driving you are doing. If you try to drive a race pad on the street, the noise and dust levels, as well as pad wear will probably be unacceptable --> race pads tend to wear faster when cold (under 400F), and this difference in wear rate varies from compound to compound.

If you are thinking about track usage, then for the same type of braking applications (identical line pressure, initial disc temperature, and time under braking), then our race compounds will outperform the stock pad. Similarly, achieving the idential comparison conditions is not feasible because of the difference in torque generated at a given line pressure and initial disc temp. For example, assuming tires are not the limiting factor to braking performance, at 1000psi line pressure and 800F initial disc temp, to achieve the same stop distance from a given fixed speed, the OE pad may require 800ft, whereas a race compound may require only 600F, because the torque ramp and level are both more rapid and higher, respectively.

So, I'd like to ask that you rephrase your question regarding wear in order to properly answer your concerns, etc.

Best regards,

Andie W Lin
Director of Motorsports R&D
Cobalt Friction Technologies
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

OK, long un-answer to my question but I will re phrase. I don't track my car, but I like your claims of low dust and large temp ranges of operation (great for street use). Earlier posts sounded to me that these pads were good for track or street. Your latest sounds like these are race only. FOR AGGRESSIVE STREET USAGE do these pads wear the disks faster than the stock pads?

Last edited by 6Speeder; 06-03-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 AM
hapnermw
Racer

I'm using XR2 pads for a dual use C6Z with StopTech brakes. Previously I was using Hawk Ceramics for the street and Hawk DTC 60 front/HP rear. I switched to the XR2 pads for several reasons.

First, it was a pain worrying about rebedding the pads every time I switched. You can't properly bed track pads until you get to the track because they scrape off the bedding when they are used cold on the way there. Second, selecting the right track pads for the rear is tricky because they don't get that hot so a higher temp pad won't get into the proper heat range. Third, not having to switch pads is one less track day chore.

When I switched, I sanded down the rotors to remove the old pad material but I didn't have then turned. The XR2s stop well on the street - better torque than the Hawk Ceramics. They do consistently squawk on the tail end of the stop. I think of this as an indication for those in know that this car is track prepped. The dust is half that of the stock pads but it is twice the dust of the Hawk Ceramics and about the same light color.

The track performance is excellent. Good torque and they seemed easy to modulate. I'm not a track expert but the fact they worked well for a track amatuer says something. Much less dust than the DTC 60s so I'm assuming there wasn't much wear but haven't checked yet.

Bottom line, they truly are a dual use street/track pad for the C6Z if you can ignore the squawking at 10 mph on the street. They truly did not require bedding in. In addition, the quality of the backing plates seemed to be a step beyond what i've seen.

If I was only driving the car on the street/auto cross I would likely look into a lower temp Cobalt pad but for HPDEs you can definitely use the full capabilities of the XR2 compound.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:17 PM
elanderholm
Instructor

I've tried the auto-x pads as a dual use pad for tracks that aren't hard on brakes. They don't dust much, squeal very little, and do very well across a range of temperatures. I'm switching to the XR2 on my car from CarboTech right now...at least in the front. I have been a fan of cobalt on my previous cars with their previous compounds. I expect much of the same.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
ZO6 Runner
Intermediate

I know the dust is less than the stock Z06 pads for sure. In fact the dust is like a Low dust pad.

The noise from the XR2 race pads on the street has only shown up a couple of times. But remember the XR2 pads are one of the extreme pad compounds. I have not tried the AutoX pads but I plan on trying it soon.

:

:
:

:

I used the XR2 compound all around for the Sebring race and for the Charlotte test where we were 2nd fastest to the Caddy by less than 5 hundreths of a sec to Pilgrim and a tenth faster than Jimmy Johnson.

Doug Peterson used the XR3 compound at Sebring but switched to the XR2 compound for Charlotte.

The XR2 has more torque than the XR3 compound. So the smaller the number the more aggressive the pad compound.

There is little or no dust since they are made of a ceramic/metalic composite.

I am running the XR2 compound on my street C6 Z06 for now and will try the Autox pad soon.

Thanks
Lou G
:
What pad would you recommend for agressive HDPE use; is the GT Sport the one?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 Runner
What pad would you recommend for agressive HDPE use; is the GT Sport the one?
I'm interested as well. I was just getting ready to buy Hawk DTC-70/60s for HPDE. Maybe now I'll go with the cobalt GTS...?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:30 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Cobalt lists their GTS pad as the pad for some street use, and have enough capability to run HPDE weekends as well. The XR2 should only be used on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Cobalt Friction brake pads on LG Motorsports WC Corvettes

Old 02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Dreamin
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Somewhere I read that Cobalt is working on a single-pad design... any truth to that?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
manicheus
Instructor

How is XR2's wear compared to Hawk DTC70's up front in hard track usage?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin
Somewhere I read that Cobalt is working on a single-pad design... any truth to that?
I'm also interested in a single replacement for the padlets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Cobalt Friction brake pads on LG Motorsports WC Corvettes