C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch STILL sticking after slave cylinder replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 06:26 AM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch STILL sticking after slave cylinder replacement!

I can't believe this, Eismann's Corvette Center replaced the clutch slave cylinder, using new GM fluid in after being plagued with sticking clutch problems since my LPE 427build (with an RPS stage 3 clutch). With headers installed, they have to drop the left header to get to the slave, so this is no simple backyard, shade tree task. The very 1st time I got on it, it stuck to the floor again! Better put, it's slow to come back up. It doesn't actually stick to the floor.
How the he11 can I fix this some buck once and for all? Now that I'm back up in N IN for the summer, I'm going to call LPE in Decator on Mon and see what they suggest. Got all this friggin power, but can't enjoy it to it's fullest.

Last edited by Goodwood; 04-22-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Zig
Safety Car

Location: stafford country, va. Avatar: Me on turn 3 @ Bristol (The World's Fastest Half-Mile)
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds to me that you need a stronger clutch, rated for higher rpm use than the one you've got.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:49 AM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A guess

I am not a mechanic,but just a guess,would a stronger spring on the clutch pedal help?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:18 AM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is because the slave cylinder isn't the problem, its the clutch itself.

This is a common problem on GM cars with the 6 speeds (Camaro's, Vette's). It comes from GM using a cheap pressure plate that cant take the high RPM's.

While I have not had the issue on my Vette yet, I had the issue on my 00 SS and it was not solved till I put a better clutch in (I went with a Centreforce dual friction plate)
Old 04-22-2007, 10:22 AM
SickRick
Drifting

Very surprised that you are having this issue with an RPS clutch. I had the EXACT SAME ISSUE with a SPEC 3+, with SPEC blaming it on the hydraulics. After having the drivetrain out to replace both slave AND master (again, after putting a new slave and and doing a what-the-heck-as-long-as-it's-apart-anyway-clutch-upgrade to resolve a bad throwout bearing), I got disgusted with SPEC and replaced it with an RPS (with the problem going away IMMMEDIATELY). Upon removal we also found that the SPEC had "grenade'd" something from the assy., punching a HOLE IN MY BELL HOUSING - luckiliy on the BOTTOM, not through the floorboard and soft human body parts.

I'm going to lean towards a bad pressure plate on this one, since the SPEC appeard to have to same problem (happens to even the best of them occasionally). Stage 3 also would appear to be slightly weak for a mod'd 403 motor also. You can get RPS to build you an assy for whatever TQ you desire.

Also, you should have put a clutch bleeder extension on while it was apart. These clutch hydraulics are a REAL BEOTCH to bleed correctly, and reverse pressure bleeding this the only way I've seen to get it RIGHT. I also went a STEP FURTHER, and mod'd the clutch line also - replacing the rubber portion with a piece of stainless/teflon line, and wrapping the entire assy in 1,500 degree fire-wrap. I believe Horsepower Sales now includes the "SickRick Slave Line Mod", in all HP clutch swaps at thier shop.

REAL STUPID design move on GM's part, putting a piece of rubber in a hydraulic line, exactly where it runs past the exhuast manifold (particularly a piece of rubber that has "not for brake use" right on it), where it can get cooked, have thermal expansion issues, and aid in the boiling of the clutch fluid - ESPECIALLY on a header car - just ask the first couple of SuperMaxx header users on the C6, before Dyntech included a clamp to hold the line AWAY from the header - they had thier cars CATCH FIRE).

Any way, clutch manufacturers are quick to point the finger at hydraulics. If you've verified yours, I'd get another clutch assy from them, as you likely just got a bad one (again, feces happens).

Regards,

Rick
Old 04-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

You had the clutch changed, and the slave. And apparently a bleed of the fluid.

Are you still running the original master cylinder?

Ranger
Old 04-23-2007, 03:09 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Pedals stick when the springs heat up in the pressure plate.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ok, if that's the case,

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Pedals stick when the springs heat up in the pressure plate.
what's the solution? I'll be calling LPE first thing this morning.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Old 04-23-2007, 11:15 AM
LIC6
Advanced

slick rick , did you have the spec organic dual disc?? the one good for 800ft lbs??
Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I fixed mine for 50 cents:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

Anything to reduce clutch throw may solve your problem. For a few cents and just a little time, it can't hurt!

That's a sliding window track lock that bolts on backwards to the clutch arm 'nubbin'. So the head of the bolt contacts the floorboard cut-out switch about an inch early. This reduces the clutch throw. 'Over-throwing ' the clutch can contribute to the 'sticking to the floor' problem. Just don't go too far with this, or the clutch won't completely disengage.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
gtodoug
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm dealing with this very same issue. I don't know what the fix is. I'm running the OZ700 and I love the clutch otherwise. Chatter free, smooth, has a great feeling for where the clutch will engage, and most of all, not much pedal effort over stock.

However, I was having this problem which is why I changed the clutch in the first place. A new clutch did not fix my problem. I changed the slave and master when I did my swap and had the slave replaced again to no avail.

So one clutch, two slaves, and a master later and I'm still having the same problem on a clutch that should be rated for 700lb. ft of tq. I'm nowhere near that pushing 485/425 on head/cam setup.

Dougie
Old 04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I fixed mine for 50 cents:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...00/ppuser/6747

Anything to reduce clutch throw may solve your problem. For a few cents and just a little time, it can't hurt!

That's a sliding window track lock that bolts on backwards to the clutch arm 'nubbin'. So the head of the bolt contacts the floorboard cut-out switch about an inch early. This reduces the clutch throw. 'Over-throwing ' the clutch can contribute to the 'sticking to the floor' problem. Just don't go too far with this, or the clutch won't completely disengage.
My clutch gets worse with each shift when running the car out. BY the time I go to 4th, my clutch will not disengage and pedal is almost on floor.

I tried the Carolina Clutch Stop and it did not help me!!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like several of you may benefit by spending less than an hour and $10 cleaning up your clutch fluid. Certainly worth a try. Has worked for me for six years and 500 passes.

As SickRick posted earlier in this thread, heat is the enemy of clutch fluid. So cleaning your fluid through repeated changes is a very good first step toward remediation.

If it doesn't solve the problem you're experiencing, then at least you'll know.

Ranger
Old 04-23-2007, 08:25 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
I am not a mechanic,but just a guess,would a stronger spring on the clutch pedal help?
not at all, actually if there is one out there, it would make it worse. the clutch spring is an assist spring, meaning it helps depressing the clutch pedal down.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:47 PM
lytmup
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goodwood

As I posted above, the solution is a better, stronger clutch.

This is a very common problem for GM 6-speeds, esp on the f-body cars.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

A clutch with more clamping pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch STILL sticking after slave cylinder replacement!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Any word Steve?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
TaShOo
Intermediate

I have the same problem
what should do i do ?
Old 04-28-2007, 05:58 AM
TaShOo
Intermediate

?!?!?!?!?!?

Quick Reply: Clutch STILL sticking after slave cylinder replacement!