C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

PKE Keyless entry question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:33 AM
FOXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PKE Keyless entry question

I bought my 93 a few months back and the guy never said anything about the keyless entry on these cars. Does mine have one? How do I check to see if it does? I would imagine it does and not just available on some cars and not others. How would I go about getting a new one? Any help would be great! Thanks!

FOXX
Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 AM
wilsonbh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it does have one. You should see a light that says Keyless Entry on your DTC. The remotes or fob can be obtained from eBay or the dealer. They are very expensive though. Expect to pay $100 or more.

Scan the forum for PKE and you'll find a wealth of information on this subject. How to program it into your car, troubleshooting, etc.

Billy
Old 12-26-2006, 07:10 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes it was standard on all 93's. ebay is the best place to get a remote.
I love mine. also check the forum for sale section
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 AM
FOXX
Racer

This looks to be what I'm after then! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2396782&rd=1,1

How much is too much to pay?

Are they a pain to program too?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:19 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah all 93-96 Corvettes have PKE factory fitted.

Here is some info for you on the functions of this system:

To program the system:

1. Place transmitter and any optional transmitter 10 feet or more away from the car.
2. Turn the ignition key to the ON position and make sure the radio is OFF.
3. Push the TRIP/ODO button on the DIC twice.
4. Within 5 Seconds, push and hold the FUEL/INFO button on the DIC until the PKE light on the DIC comes on and stays on.
5. Turn the ignition to the OFF position, but leave the key in the ignition. The PKE light will come on and begin flashing.
6. Bring one transmitter into range. When the system recognizes the transmitter, the PKE light will stay on.
7. To program an optional transmitter, move the first transmitter out of range and repeat step 6
8. Remove the key from the ignition or turn the ignition ON.

To run a diagnostic test on the system:

Connect pins 4 and 8 on the ALDL (see pic below to see pin label order)

And the PKE diagnostic system works as follows:
With pins 4 and 8 connected, the PKE light in the Driver Info Centre will flash the codes.

Here is the list of DTCs and what they mean:

DTC #12: Receiver Memory Bad
DTC #13: Transmitter Not in Range
DTC #14: Non-Valid Transmitter Received
DTC #15: Valid Transmitter Received
DTC #16: Passenger Door Button Depressed
DTC #17: Hatch Button Depressed
Old 12-26-2006, 12:11 PM
FOXX
Racer

Ok, I just recieved an email back from the dude on ebay that has the PKE fob I need. He emailed me back the directions on how to check if the system is operational. Here's the thing. My owners manual says to only push the trip/odo once instead of twice (like ebay dude says). Well, either way, no light comes on but I can see in the lower left corner of the DIC there is indeed an indicator for it but it does not light up.. NOW, is it supposed to light up if there is a transmitter in range or is my system faulty? I just got the car a few months back and the guy didn't know much about it and I'm almost sure he's not the first owner. The only thing I can think of is either

A~The PKE fob I need is in the car somewhere hidden out of sight. (not likely but still possible)

B~The system just does not work for whatever reason.

I'm wrack'n ma brains here!!

Case, thanks for the diagram! I'm not quite sure as to what or where the wiring unit (in the lower portion of the diagram you provided) can be found or what tools are needed to check it tho. Thanks for bearing with me, guys!

Last edited by FOXX; 12-26-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Mate, that diagram there you will need to use the top left ALDL pictured there (labeled pre 95 F-body, its simular to pre 94 Corvette), that is what your 93 Corvette will have. You need to ground "G". Terminal "A" is ground, so what you need to do is get a paper clip, and connect terminals "A" and "G" for the PKE diagnostics.

Ignore the bit about the 16 pin ALDL connector, you wont have one of them on a 93, yours will be a 12 pin. It is located under the dash to the right of the steering column.

Does the PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light come on in the DIC when you first turn on the key? (just turn it on, dont start the engine)
Old 12-26-2006, 03:50 PM
HG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$150 for a key fob is expensive. If you do find the original one hidden in the car, change the battery. Also, the PKE system may be turned off. If it is, the light won't come on in the DIC. If the fob is there, after you change the battery, point the fob to the car, be right next to it, and hold the lock button in. If the system works, you will hear two clicks from the door locks which is how you turn on or off the PKE system. Actually, I think it is a PITA if you are around the car with the keys. It keeps locking and unlocking as you walk around. Some members love it, some don't.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:22 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

IMHO you are better off without it
Lots of headaches with it
I took the battery out of my remote and put it in a drawer
Do a search on PKE here and in tech you may reconsider your decision
Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=HG;1558256391 Actually, I think it is a PITA if you are around the car with the keys. It keeps locking and unlocking as you walk around. Some members love it, some don't.[/QUOTE]

I just turn mine off if I am working on or washing the car, otherwise I like the system
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
FOXX
Racer

Originally Posted by HG
Also, the PKE system may be turned off.
Now that sheds a whole new light on the situation there. I've been testing for the system this whole time when it could've very well been simply off??

I'd just hate to spend $150 on a fob that wouldn't even be good for a paperweight.

So, is there a way to test (w/o fob) that the system does work? How would I turn it back on w/o a fob handy?

Ahh! I've just about given up on this!
Old 12-26-2006, 11:12 PM
the teacher
Instructor

Don't spend more than $100.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 AM
FOXX
Racer

Interesting. Here's what ebay dude emailed me back.

It sounds like you need to erase all memory in your PKE module. I want you to do this. Remove the Negative cable from your vettes battery and be sure that the key is out of the ignition. Wait 15 minutes then reconnect the battery, taking care not to arc the connections. When you touch the negative cable back you will hear your computer module click, hold it tight by hand until you can tighten the connection. You will only lose the clock settings and radio station settings when you do this, nothing else will happen, except your PKE module will erase any memory and will be ready to program. Now after the 15 minutes, start the vehicle and let it run for a few minutes. DO NOT TURN ON THE RADIO, this is important and do not do this where there is fluorescent lighting, for the tubes emit similar frequencies. After shutting down the engine, remove the key and then reinsert the key and reprogram. Make sure the fob is at least 20 feet away from the vehicle.......It should program now, sometimes the light does not stay on or flash, if it does not just proceed with the programming.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:27 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently sold one on this forum for $60 delivered. In the same thread a couple others were sold as well. Why not go to the C4 for sale section and post a wanted request. Seems like it is a love or hate it option so someone will want to get rid of theirs.

Personally I love it
Old 12-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by FOXX

Interesting. Here's what ebay dude emailed me back.

It sounds like you need to erase all memory in your PKE module. I want you to do this. Remove the Negative cable from your vettes battery and be sure that the key is out of the ignition. Wait 15 minutes then reconnect the battery, taking care not to arc the connections. When you touch the negative cable back you will hear your computer module click, hold it tight by hand until you can tighten the connection. You will only lose the clock settings and radio station settings when you do this, nothing else will happen, except your PKE module will erase any memory and will be ready to program. Now after the 15 minutes, start the vehicle and let it run for a few minutes. DO NOT TURN ON THE RADIO, this is important and do not do this where there is fluorescent lighting, for the tubes emit similar frequencies. After shutting down the engine, remove the key and then reinsert the key and reprogram. Make sure the fob is at least 20 feet away from the vehicle.......It should program now, sometimes the light does not stay on or flash, if it does not just proceed with the programming.

Yeah unplug the battery and do that part, but the thing he didnt tell you there is it will only reset the PKE settings to default, it wont clear other fobs from the memory.

The default settings are to work in Passive mode, and also to unlock both doors rather then just the driver door only.

No idea why he says to start the car after you reconnect the battery, you wont need to do that. Just pull the negative terminal and leave it out of the way for about 10-15 minutes, then put it back on. Now when you turn on the key, look for the "PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY" light coming on in the DIC, it should come on when you turn the key on to let you know the bulb is working and the system is working.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

After you've got it all working, do not leave the keys in the car with the doors closed and the windows up. I had to shake my car for about 15 mins to get back into it once. I looked like an idiot. (Moreso than usual.)
Old 12-31-2006, 02:18 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

This is a bit off topic but you guys seem to know a lot about the electronic gremlins in the Vette. My climate control on a 96 works off and on intermittantly. Sometimes I cant set temps properly, stays on one temp and some of the other buttons may not work. I removed the negative cable from the battery as suggested with the PKE FOB problem (mine broke completely after I put in new battery and I need a new one too). I waited 15 minutes and the climate control worked like a charm - until the next time the car was turned off, then the temps stuck again. Can I reprogram the climate control or should I get a new expensive one installed? I can live without the PKE but need to have the climate control working.

Get notified of new replies

To PKE Keyless entry question

Old 12-31-2006, 03:10 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Originally Posted by ameribrit
This is a bit off topic but you guys seem to know a lot about the electronic gremlins in the Vette. My climate control on a 96 works off and on intermittantly. Sometimes I cant set temps properly, stays on one temp and some of the other buttons may not work. I removed the negative cable from the battery as suggested with the PKE FOB problem (mine broke completely after I put in new battery and I need a new one too). I waited 15 minutes and the climate control worked like a charm - until the next time the car was turned off, then the temps stuck again. Can I reprogram the climate control or should I get a new expensive one installed? I can live without the PKE but need to have the climate control working.
You may only need to clean the temp up/down rocker switch. I'd try spray electric contact cleaner in tiny squirts aimed behind the switch with the key off until it is dry.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Originally Posted by 94z07fx3
You may only need to clean the temp up/down rocker switch. I'd try spray electric contact cleaner in tiny squirts aimed behind the switch with the key off until it is dry.
Thanks - but what about some of the other buttons not always working? Are they in any way tied into the temp buttons? I know I had a problem once with the fan button and could not get the auto on or change the fan speeds. Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't, just like the temps. I love this car otherwise.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Originally Posted by ameribrit
Thanks - but what about some of the other buttons not always working? Are they in any way tied into the temp buttons? I know I had a problem once with the fan button and could not get the auto on or change the fan speeds. Usually it works, but sometimes it doesn't, just like the temps. I love this car otherwise.
The way I see it the controller is inop now. So I'd try the contact cleaner on one switch first see if it makes any difference. Then move to other switches if it does. There is a guy that rebuilds these and charges over $200 plus rebuildable core. So if the spray doesn't work the take the unit out and eyeball the inside of it. Your troubles could be as simple as a loose ZIF connector. You might see a tiny fuse that's shot and could be swapped with a deft hand and a soldering iron. I'll try to find contact info for the guy that rebuilds them if you wish.

Quick Reply: PKE Keyless entry question