Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Why are the Stock Brakes "So Bad" ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:42 PM
DJWorm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mallett has an AP/Stillen 4 wheel racing big brake upgrade for $5400 and change.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,162 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by JRitt@StopTech
Calipers are most definitely not JUST calipers!
As I carefully qualified above, for street driving, calipers are calipers are calipers.

You wish you could pull it off buddy!
No, because then I'd have to spend every waking hour on the 'net trying to sell my brake kits to the masses. No sir, I don't envy your job in the least.

jas
Old 10-27-2006, 07:02 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

The rears are nice to have, but probably not a 'must have' for most people. Our front only kit will be enough for many, and retails for $2795.
Well it looks like I am not "many" as I've managed to completely destroy a pair of standard rotors in 2000 miles!

As I understand it, your own site states a "balanced" 4 wheel set up is ideal as otherwise you will get uneven wear F to R as well as early ABS trigger etc. OR you won't be getting the best out of your new front brakes.

Plus I'm not going to pay crazy prices for rear Z06 Pagids to match the fronts!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:04 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, because then I'd have to spend every waking hour on the 'net trying to sell my brake kits to the masses. No sir, I don't envy your job in the least.
I only spend a small portion of my time on the net selling to the masses. The rest of my time is spent selling to Tuners, OEM's, playing with cool project cars, going to the racetrack, etc. Somebody has to do it!

Well it looks like I am not "many" as I've managed to completely destroy a pair of standard rotors in 2000 miles!
Well, get in where you fit in! Some of us are tougher on equipment than others.

As I understand it, your own site states a "balanced" 4 wheel set up is ideal as otherwise you will get uneven wear F to R as well as early ABS trigger etc. OR you won't be getting the best out of your new front brakes.
Balanced can mean a front BBK balanced with the factory rears, or a four wheel kit. It just depends on the piston sizing, rotor diameter, friction choice, and the particular platform under consideration.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:14 PM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

Balanced can mean a front BBK balanced with the factory rears, or a four wheel kit. It just depends on the piston sizing, rotor diameter, friction choice, and the particular platform under consideration.
But surely if you didn't change the rears (especially not even the pads) that would mean deliberately reducing the braking torque of the fronts back down to standard rather than allowing them to perform to their maximum potential?

If the rears used sensibly sized pads that I could match to the fronts, I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:42 PM
J Ritt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,
You're misunderstanding the force output issue. More brake torque is not the primary objective of a BBK...heat capacity is the goal. Please read this article: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
Old 10-28-2006, 11:26 AM
0David_Yu
Former Vendor

David,
You're misunderstanding the force output issue. More brake torque is not the primary objective of a BBK...heat capacity is the goal. Please read this article: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...upgrades.shtml
Very interesting, thanks Jeff.

So for every other car other than the Z06 with its silly padlets, we could save $thousands by going for a front brake only kit...

I suppose I could live with Raybestos ST43s on the standard rear set up and Pagid yellows in a Stoptech kit on the front. Would that be a good match balance-wise?

I need to see how quiet the ST43s are first, as the reason I love the Pagids is that they are quiet, work from cold on the street and are fantastic on track.

I guess another implication of your article is that if you choose to go front-only first, you will need to change the pistons if you later decide to go 4-wheel kit?

In this day and age of ABS, isn't it desirable to get the balance so that "lock up" occurs simultaneously on both axles? That was what I always tried to achieve in my (non-ABS) race car with adjustable bias.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:34 AM
elanderholm
Instructor

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I just did 42 hard laps at Road America on my OEM Z51 brakes. Aside from some odd discoloration on the rotor's I experienced no issues.

I did leave the safety nannies engaged and ABS and AH kicked on several times.

Can someone tell me how my rotor's look after this hard use?

I'm going back to RA in April with new found confidence in me and the car and I suspect I'll push it even harder. Any tips or suggestions on brake tweakes etc?

Tom

Were you on stock pads and fluid?
Old 10-28-2006, 01:13 PM
StopTechX123
Cruising

David,

All of our front kits are designed to work with the stock rear brakes, master cyliner and ABS systems and all of the balance adjustments are made through adjusting the piston sizes in the front calipers. When we develop a rear kit, we do our best to match the stock force output of the rear brake system so a rear kit can be added later with no negative effects on balance. Part of the reason Jeff is so quick to recommend a front only kit is that a rear kit can be added later to increase heat capacity, pad selection and appearance without changing the balance tuned into the system by the front calipers. There are only a few kits we offer that require different front calipers when used in a 4 wheel kit but they are being phased out and the C6 Z06 (or any Corvette) is not one of them.

-Erik-

Last edited by StopTechX123; 10-28-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why are the Stock Brakes "So Bad" ?