Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 997 GT3 almost as quick as a Z06 at the Ring?[merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 10:34 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 GT3 almost as quick as a Z06 at the Ring?[merged]

In this link you can see the Ring lap time of the new Porsche GT3, is pretty stunning that it comes close to the lap time of the Z06 despite having much less power!!!!!!

http://www.caranddriver.com/shortroa...1-gt3-997.html

How they do it?
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
KNanthrup
Instructor

The ring is not ALL about power (although there are many parts where it helps). The GT3 is a finely tuned car, especially in the suspension department porsche really goes all-out with this car. Big thumbs up for it, I love GT3's! I'd have one sitting in my garage next to my Z06 if I had money right now :-)
Old 04-14-2006, 10:49 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

In a C6 Gen thread someone reports a 7:40 time but with no link.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:51 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by KNanthrup
The ring is not ALL about power (although there are many parts where it helps). The GT3 is a finely tuned car, especially in the suspension department porsche really goes all-out with this car. Big thumbs up for it, I love GT3's! I'd have one sitting in my garage next to my Z06 if I had money right now :-)

Yeah you are right.....

The other thing that gives this GT3 an advantage over the Z is its new tires with a tread wear of 80 versus the old GT3 220.....

So this tires are super grippy i will like to see what times a Z can put with these ones.......
Old 04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ivan111
How they do it?
Sounds to me like they haven't done it yet. They HOPE to. There are many, many factors involved. Drivers, temperatures, track conditions, tires, etc. etc. Those ring times are all vague comparisons at best. Until they actually do a shoot out on the same day with the same prep, they don't mean a lot, good or bad. On another day the Z06 could be easily 10 seconds worse or better. Having said that, ring times are a reference point to bench race over. Both of those cars are great I'm sure, but the real proof will be in the track results when they meet at tracks around the country.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivan111
Yeah you are right.....

The other thing that gives this GT3 an advantage over the Z is its new tires with a tread wear of 80 versus the old GT3 220.....

So this tires are super grippy i will like to see what times a Z can put with these ones.......

Basically, they're cheating and using R-compound race tires because they figured out they can't touch the Z's runflat street tire times...

I read the same about the 997TT in C&D a month or two ago...

Andi
Old 04-14-2006, 10:57 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
In a C6 Gen thread someone reports a 7:40 time but with no link.
Wow 7:40 i will have to see that to believe it.......

This new 997 GT3 is also quicker than the New 997 TT with power to weight ratios that are similar.......
Old 04-14-2006, 11:04 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by robvuk
Sounds to me like they haven't done it yet. They HOPE to. There are many, many factors involved. Drivers, temperatures, track conditions, tires, etc. etc. Those ring times are all vague comparisons at best. Until they actually do a shoot out on the same day with the same prep, they don't mean a lot, good or bad. On another day the Z06 could be easily 10 seconds worse or better. Having said that, ring times are a reference point to bench race over. Both of those cars are great I'm sure, but the real proof will be in the track results when they meet at tracks around the country.
Yeah 7:47 is their best so far......
Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Originally Posted by Andi

Basically, they're cheating and using R-compound race tires because they figured out they can't touch the Z's runflat street tire times...

Andi
Oh, maybe GM is stupid with going with run-craps on their highest performing car.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PeterK
Oh, maybe GM is stupid with going with run-craps on their highest performing car.
I've never heard of a factory car coming with R-compounds from the factory in the US. Porsche is doing that to get a good Nurburgring time for bragging rights, then when/if they import it to the US, it'll come with standard street tires like all other cars do here. I'd put money on it.

Regarding GM's choice of tires, I don't feel like having the runflats/"runcraps" argument right now. That horse has been beaten to death. My Z06 will continue to wear the stock tires.

Andi
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

I read the same about the 997TT in C&D a month or two ago...

Andi
I beat a lot of stock and mildly modified C5 Z06s on the autocross course with my absolutely bone stock ZR1 with no problems. They're running Supercar tires and I'm running Kumho Victoracers/700s. On equal tires, I couldn't touch them and it would be stupid of me to think or say otherwise. Same thing here, the GT3 doesn't handle better than the Z06, its' tires just "stick" better. I'm not complaining or making excuses, but the original poster did ask "how do they do it". With equal tires, the Z06 will run away from the GT3 on a road course. But what do you expect when you go against a "sports" car with archaic econobox Mcpherson struts for the front suspension ...and it's "only" $106K base. Put R-compound tires on the Z06 and watch out CGT!

And just for the record, the article said it ran a 7:47 during development. All other times were pure speculation and the 7:40 is pure BS with no links.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:56 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

I've never heard of a factory car coming with R-compounds from the factory in the US. Porsche is doing that to get a good Nurburgring time for bragging rights, then when/if they import it to the US, it'll come with standard street tires like all other cars do here. I'd put money on it.

Regarding GM's choice of tires, I don't feel like having the runflats/"runcraps" argument right now. That horse has been beaten to death. My Z06 will continue to wear the stock tires.

Andi
Ignore him Andi, he obviously didn't read the article where it stated driving in the rain was at your own risk on those tires. You're correct, in the USA where liability is an issue, you'll never see these tires on a production car. There's also the wear bars in the tread and tread depth laws...if you have an accident in the rain due to slick tires and injure somebody, it's a felony! I slow down more than usual in the rain when I know I'm getting close to the wear bars.

On the other hand, he may not be smart enough to realize he can put whatever tires he wants on his car and stop running his "runcraps".
Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

The GT3 is a finely tuned car, especially in the suspension department porsche really goes all-out with this car.
Yea, nothing but the best Mcpherson struts for the front suspension.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Rare ZO7
Racer

How do they do it?? Well they do have the advantage of NO driveshaft. Its simply bolted to the transaxle. Where's the loss in power? And with excellent handling to boot. Just imagine if the Vette used other tires besides Runflats.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

The ring is not ALL about power (although there are many parts where it helps).
Old 04-14-2006, 12:45 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I've never heard of a factory car coming with R-compounds from the factory in the US.
High end sport bikes* often come with short lived very grippy tires for at least 10 years now. The 'regular' sport bikes get grippy medium lived tires.
[*] consider the Ducati 996 versus Ducati 996R--R gets the grippy ones, the nonR does not.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:04 PM
ivan111
Drifting

The 997 GT3 adjustable suspension in its normal mode i as stiff as the old 996 setting but in Sport mode is so stiff that is recommended for just Track use.....

Get notified of new replies

To 997 GT3 almost as quick as a Z06 at the Ring?[merged]

Old 04-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Mako7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing to consider here is that the 997 GT3 is basically a near factory-built race car for the street. The C6Z is also of this ilk, but to a lesser degree (more creature comforts, softer edges). To put these cars on equal footing for the ring, the Z should have the benefit of T1-stiff suspension, different shocks, different seats, 150lbs of stripped luxury goods, and race rubber.

The 997 GT3 will likely set you back about $125k+ OTD when optioned. TEh 997 GT2 will be even better, and come with an OTD price of $225k.

So, these 2 P-cars definitely have my respect, but they also point out what a great deal the C6Z is.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:49 PM
AP
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are using R-compound tires ... that is I consider that cheating ..
Old 04-14-2006, 04:19 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

GT3 is almost cream of the crop of Porsche cars when it comes to road racing.
It’s pretty much close to the absolute best Porsche can come up with.

Very few Porsche models offer more performance:
CCG (hyper exotic, hyper price)
GT2?
GT3 RS (virtually a race car, isn’t it?)

If GT3 can’t beat essentially a “GT cruiser” Z06 at the Ring I bet Porsche fan-girls will be seriously pissed.

I fully expect a typical invasion of the usual Porsche cheerleaders, we all know here, into this thread with all the excuses and skepticism.
We’re waiting for you ladies

Quick Reply: [Z06] 997 GT3 almost as quick as a Z06 at the Ring?[merged]