Update on the C n' V Blown Engine at 150 miles after purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on the C n' V Blown Engine at 150 miles after purchase

As you know in a former post, my engine blew 150 miles from purchasing the 71 Vette from C n’ V Corvettes in Phoenix AZ. I was pretty mad for sure. However, they have made it right.

And actually C n’ V Corvettes has been pretty decent about the whole thing. Talked with the salesman, and we have come to a pretty good solution. They showed me what they have in the car $$$ wise, and they didn’t make a penny on me. They have MORE money in the car than they sold it for. Cosmetically it is pretty nice. They are buried financially in the car. Win some, loose some.

And they have so far – AT NO COST TO ME rebuilt suspension, upper/lower ball joints, A frames, shocks, and bushings in front, back the same thing. They also rebuilt the 3.08 rear differential. Twice to make it right. The first one they got “rebuilt” but it wasn’t done right, so they did it themselves.

The car needed brakes, so they rebuilt them at AT NO COST TO ME from Master cylinder to shoes, New calipers and rotors, bearings, spindles, etc. 100% new.

They rebuilt the cooling system at no labor charge, as I had them install an alum radiator and high flow water pump.

They rebuilt the Rochester Q-Jet AT NO COST TO ME.

They installed an MSD electronic ignition AT NO COST TO ME.

They gutted the A/C and rebuilt it from Compressor to Evaporator to Condensor to switch on the console. It actually blows too cold. AT NO COST TO ME.

They put in new seals around the doors, the hardtop, the soft top, and new latches for both. AT NO COST TO ME.

They will be color sanding the car, and fixing tgwo paint problems, AT NO COST TO ME.

Now for the engine part. They are removing the engine, paying for a new crank, AT NO COST TO ME . They are giving me the engine to take to an awesome engine builder here in town. I am going to build a 460hp or so 454 with the ORIGINAL block. Something in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression with a mild cam. Also thinking about fuel injection. This I am doing out of my pocket, but I end up with a balanced and blueprinted 454, with a warranty. At a later date I am putting in a 4 speed with overdrive.

Then C n’V is going to install the engine AT NO COST TO ME.

True, when you buy something it’s sold AS IS. But actually – they have done more than I would expect from another dealer.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71_454_Green_Machine
As you know in a former post, my engine blew 150 miles from purchasing the 71 Vette from C n’ V Corvettes in Phoenix AZ. I was pretty mad for sure. However, they have made it right.

And actually C n’ V Corvettes has been pretty decent about the whole thing. Talked with the salesman, and we have come to a pretty good solution. They showed me what they have in the car $$$ wise, and they didn’t make a penny on me. They have MORE money in the car than they sold it for. Cosmetically it is pretty nice. They are buried financially in the car. Win some, loose some.

And they have so far – AT NO COST TO ME rebuilt suspension, upper/lower ball joints, A frames, shocks, and bushings in front, back the same thing. They also rebuilt the 3.08 rear differential. Twice to make it right. The first one they got “rebuilt” but it wasn’t done right, so they did it themselves.

The car needed brakes, so they rebuilt them at AT NO COST TO ME from Master cylinder to shoes, New calipers and rotors, bearings, spindles, etc. 100% new.

They rebuilt the cooling system at no labor charge, as I had them install an alum radiator and high flow water pump.

They rebuilt the Rochester Q-Jet AT NO COST TO ME.

They installed an MSD electronic ignition AT NO COST TO ME.

They gutted the A/C and rebuilt it from Compressor to Evaporator to Condensor to switch on the console. It actually blows too cold. AT NO COST TO ME.

They put in new seals around the doors, the hardtop, the soft top, and new latches for both. AT NO COST TO ME.

They will be color sanding the car, and fixing tgwo paint problems, AT NO COST TO ME.

Now for the engine part. They are removing the engine, paying for a new crank, AT NO COST TO ME . They are giving me the engine to take to an awesome engine builder here in town. I am going to build a 460hp or so 454 with the ORIGINAL block. Something in the neighborhood of 10:1 compression with a mild cam. Also thinking about fuel injection. This I am doing out of my pocket, but I end up with a balanced and blueprinted 454, with a warranty. At a later date I am putting in a 4 speed with overdrive.

Then C n’V is going to install the engine AT NO COST TO ME.

True, when you buy something it’s sold AS IS. But actually – they have done more than I would expect from another dealer.
Aaahh but do you know what they paid for the car? We know you paid $70K fir a high mileage vert. I do have to admit that they have done a lot of work on your car. But from that one post about their work ethic, I would worry about the "quality" of work they have done. Doesn't sound to me like they have that going for them
Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 PM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you paid 70K for a 71 454 now its going to be mod'ed upgraded whatever you want to call it dude you screwed yourself ! oh and as for them not making money I say BS they wouldnt last long doing bussiness that way but if that helps you sleep at nite go for it pal

Last edited by dmrodco; 04-25-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:22 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Did you get the deed to the ocean front property there in AZ too?

I don't believe for one minute that they told you the truth about what they had in the car money wise. But hey, if you are happy that is all that counts. I just hate to see trusting people taken advantage of.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like the salesman could have sold you a three wheeled car and made you believe you got the better part of the deal.

It was mentioned that you paid $70k. For that amount, it should not have required 1/10th the amount of work it needed. It should have been repaired prior to putting it on the lot. They sold a car with bad brakes, bad radiator, bad air conditioning, bad carburator, bad ignition, bad weather seals, bad paint, bad suspension, bad rear end, ect.. Then you find out the engine is shot. Might as well have them rebuilt the transmission and install new interior.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...is this an LS6 car or something???
Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

good grief you guys are harsh!! I think he said he paid 50k, not 70. I am very glad for you that CNV is trying to make it right for you. It does sound like they are going way beyond what they would be required to do. I hope you end up happy and post some pics for us when the car is done. I am a little skeptical about CNV being upside down on the car, but it still sounds like they are going to great lengths to keep you happy.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:55 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

They showed me what they have in the car $$$ wise, and they didn’t make a penny on me. They have MORE money in the car than they sold it for.
HAHAHAHA I got a bridge to sell you also in New York.

NO COST TO ME
50K doesnt sound like NO COST TO ME.

As long as your happy!
Old 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
good grief you guys are harsh!! I think he said he paid 50k, not 70. I am very glad for you that CNV is trying to make it right for you. It does sound like they are going way beyond what they would be required to do. I hope you end up happy and post some pics for us when the car is done. I am a little skeptical about CNV being upside down on the car, but it still sounds like they are going to great lengths to keep you happy.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:15 PM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

For 50k they should make good on everything.Good Luck,hope everything works out...JERRY
Old 04-25-2006, 05:16 PM
TexasYankee
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PRNDL
good grief you guys are harsh!!

It sounds like they are attempting to do the right thing. They could have very easily told you too bad too sad.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:20 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand the part about modifying everything. Why would you spend $50K on an original car and then change it all. For that price, you can buy one without an engine and transmission, and make it the car that you really want. Always puzzles me.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mandm1200
It was mentioned that you paid $70k. For that amount, it should not have required 1/10th the amount of work it needed. It should have been repaired prior to putting it on the lot. They sold a car with bad brakes, bad radiator, bad air conditioning, bad carburator, bad ignition, bad weather seals, bad paint, bad suspension, bad rear end, ect.. Then you find out the engine is shot. Might as well have them rebuilt the transmission and install new interior.

For that kind of money you shouldn't have to jump thru hoops and have the entire car rebuilt. Sounds like the only good parts were the tires !

I hope it works out for you and you get to enjoy your new toy
Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dgruenke
I don't understand the part about modifying everything. Why would you spend $50K on an original car and then change it all. For that price, you can buy one without an engine and transmission, and make it the car that you really want. Always puzzles me.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

I am glad that they are doing the right thing for you.

But do not believe for a New York Minute that they are losing money. You are dealing with one of the most sophisticated and profitable Corvette retailers in the country. They buy low and sell high. Most of the repair work they do onsite and if you are paying for it you are paying for it. This is a highly profitable and highly skilled sales organization.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Trade Vette's with me, straight up..... at least you can drive mine.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree I shouldn't have to jump thru the hoops, but I do end up with a basically new Vette. The new engine will have tons more horsepower, will be balanced and blueprinted, will have a warranty - and shock of shocks, when I went in to pick up the engine today - they gave me an EXTRA $1000 for anything in the shop for my inconvenience.

The shop said when they do the decking, they can save the numbers. They also do pictures before, during and after for documentaion.

I am adding hydraulic rollers etc.. and a mild cam.

All said - they are doing the right thing... And I do know what they paid for it - $34,000 - and put $12,000 in parts into it. Plus labor. That makes it OVER the $49,500 I paid for it.

And I still haved a numbers matching car. Now with an engine warranty, and manufacturer warranttys from MSD for the distr...

That actually says I am dealing with a pretty reputable dealer. How many other dealers would go thru this? Maybe they had some issues in the past, but they have treated me right...

Get notified of new replies

To Update on the C n' V Blown Engine at 150 miles after purchase

Old 04-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Flagstaff_Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

One further thing. The car sat for 30 years. Thats why they had to rebuild suspension, brakes, reaf dif, etc. All the rubber was past tense. Engine probably had blocked oil passage as it had 40psi oil pressure - right up to when it went. And the compression was right on the money.

Yes, I have done some upgrades as I dont want a trailer queen, I want a driver. Yes I have saved all the old original parts. Yes I am rebuilding the original carb. The car was a "survivor" not modified, but very much in need of maintenace.

You wont find a cleaner 454 with A/C, Auto (I'm handicapped, can't have stick) convertible, with hard top - all in top shape. It hasn't had 2 dozen car stereos in it. The fiber optics work. The headlights work, etc.

I bought the car BEFORE it hit the lot. The cosmetics and originality were that good. Too bad who ever stored it for 30 years didn't run her once in a while, they just took care of looking pretty, and didn't oil or lube anything....
Old 04-25-2006, 08:51 PM
cmb13
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it sounds like it is working out. The original deal, however, sounded a little steep - $49,500 for a car that sounds like it ended up needing a lot of work.

Anyway, it's gonna be a beautiful, awesome car; I wish I were the proud owner. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by cmb13
Well, it sounds like it is working out. The original deal, however, sounded a little steep - $49,500 for a car that sounds like it ended up needing a lot of work.

Anyway, it's gonna be a beautiful, awesome car; I wish I were the proud owner. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Update on the C n' V Blown Engine at 150 miles after purchase