Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brake pulsation from factory..anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:01 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Brake pulsation from factory..anyone?

I picked me Z06 up from the museum two weekends ago. My father drove it the first half to NY I drove it the rest. I noticed slight pulsation in the brakes at lower speeds.

I drove it for 2 days then dropped it off at a shop for appearance mods.

I picked it up last night and the pulsation is really starting to annoy me. It's not really bad..but it's there and very noticable. Bad enough that I have to brake very soft at slower speeds to prevent it from being real bad.

Has anyone else had this issue on a new car?

I figure there's no possible way a brand new caliper would be warped. What could be causing the problem? Think it could go away with time or break in?

It's got like 1500 miles on it but most are highway miles from driving back from the museum.

I know it's not usually a waranty item but do you think the dealership would just turn me away or make me pay?

also..when going straight the steering wheel is a bit to the left.

other than that the car is ungodly.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phantasms
I picked me Z06 up from the museum two weekends ago. My father drove it the first half to NY I drove it the rest. I noticed slight pulsation in the brakes at lower speeds.

I picked it up last night and the pulsation is really starting to annoy me. It's not really bad..but it's there and very noticable. Bad enough that I have to brake very soft at slower speeds to prevent it from being real bad.

I figure there's no possible way a brand new caliper would be warped. What could be causing the problem? Think it could go away with time or break in?

It's got like 1500 miles on it but most are highway miles from driving back from the museum.

I know it's not usually a waranty item but do you think the dealership would just turn me away or make me pay?

My guess is that your front left caliper is staying closed - there have been other cases reported of this condition coming from the factory. The dealer needs to fix it and replace the rotor (and probably the brake padlets).
Old 03-10-2006, 01:12 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by allanlaw
My guess is that your front left caliper is staying closed - there have been other cases reported of this condition coming from the factory. The dealer needs to fix it and replace the rotor (and probably the brake padlets).
I would imagine if the caliper was staying closed it would be a lot more apparant. The steeringwheel thing is so very slight I don't even mind it. The car drives straight and true without a problem. Is there any way I can tell by looking at it if the caliper is staying closed? Why would the caliper staying closed cause pulsation?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:17 PM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have 2300 miles on my Z. I was very easy on the brakes for the first several hundred miles and have noticed nothing but very smooth braking. I wonder if your rotor is warped. If you have a busy vette dealership, take the car to their vette technician and have him check it if you cannot make the diagnosis yourself.

We are very fortunate in that we have a high volume vette dealership near us and there are two techs who do nothing but vette work, including one guy who has over 30 years of corvette experience.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:23 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by vette6799
I have 2300 miles on my Z. I was very easy on the brakes for the first several hundred miles and have noticed nothing but very smooth braking. I wonder if your rotor is warped. If you have a busy vette dealership, take the car to their vette technician and have him check it if you cannot make the diagnosis yourself.

We are very fortunate in that we have a high volume vette dealership near us and there are two techs who do nothing but vette work, including one guy who has over 30 years of corvette experience.
I was very easy on the brakes as well. No hard braking at all.

I have an excellent mod friendly dealership. But they don't get many vettes at all...I got thier only Z06. They haven't even seen it yet.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Michrider
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one thing you will want to do is retorque the wheels to 100 lb ft in a star pattern. Sometimes just a simple retorque of the lug nuts will get rid of a minor pulsation. If that doesn't do it, take it to the dealer.
If you don't have a good torque wrench, just let the dlr do it.

The dealer should fix the steering wheel not straight as well. The steering wheel should be dead straight. A simple toe adjustment will correct that. While they are doing that they can perfect the other alignment angles.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Michrider
The one thing you will want to do is retorque the wheels to 100 lb ft in a star pattern. Sometimes just a simple retorque of the lug nuts will get rid of a minor pulsation. If that doesn't do it, take it to the dealer.
If you don't have a good torque wrench, just let the dlr do it.

The dealer should fix the steering wheel not straight as well. The steering wheel should be dead straight. A simple toe adjustment will correct that. While they are doing that they can perfect the other alignment angles.
I'll give that a shot. I don't think that's it though because I had the rims taken off and powdercoated and rebalanced. It pulsed before and after.

Do you think the dealer will do this under warranty? The thing has been driven a total of like 5 days.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Andi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brakes are perfectly smooth except for a little vibration for a fraction of a secoond when the car is *almost* stopped, right around 10mph.... I feel it through the pedal, when braking easily. My first C6 Z06, VIN 551, didn't do this.

Brakes felt real spongy/****ty initially... I thought this little vibration would go away with break-in. Now with 600 miles on the car, the brake pedal feels better, but this little vibration when almost stopped didn't go away. Hmm..................

Andi
Old 03-10-2006, 02:13 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give that a shot. I don't think that's it though because I had the rims taken off and powdercoated and rebalanced. It pulsed before and after.

Do you think the dealer will do this under warranty? The thing has been driven a total of like 5 days.
You should have the weels re-torqued IN THE CORRECT sequence just to be sure.

Even though brakes are considered a wear item by GM, your car has a factory defect. The brakes never worked right and GM should cover the cost of fixing the problem. Before you authorize the work, you should get agreement from the dealer's service department that this is a warranty repair.

Enjoy your Vette.

Frank
Old 03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If the wheels were not torqued correctly right from the start the rotors may be warped already.

The pulsation you’re describing sounds like wraped rotors to me.
Do you feel ANYTHING in the steering wheel when the brake pedal pulsates?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

The steering wheel is perfect...sublime. The only issue with the wheel is being ever so slightly to the left. My father didn't even realize it. As a matter of fact he didn't even realize the pulsating brakes either. On the highway..ect...it's fine. Just when slowing down from like 20mph I feel it and it gets worse the slower I get.

I warped the hell out of my rotors on my C5Z and left it like that when I turned it in. It feels just like that but not as bad.

Should I be concerned about it locking up or anything? I've got a run tomorrow with an Enzo and a 430 challenge race car and things are going to get nuts.

If the caliper is in fact staying closed would it show on the rotors at all? Is there anything I can check when I get home so that all you very informative people can help diagnosis this? I've owned the car for 3 weeks now but had it like 3 days....I don't want to get rid of it again...Im sure you understand. It's my daily driver too. 88 Maxima train car isn't as fun.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, all I can say is if one caliper were locking up slightly it would pull to the side like hell IMO…

Good luck with Ferraries. Gonna video?
Old 03-10-2006, 03:49 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EuG
Well, all I can say is if one caliper were locking up slightly it would pull to the side like hell IMO…

Good luck with Ferraries. Gonna video?
Doesn't pull at all. Would go straight for miles.

And I always Video.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:14 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Doesn't pull at all. Would go straight for miles.
I thought you said it pulled to the left - I misunderstood your comment in your first post. I'll ask my friend who had the stuck caliper to chime in since I'm not sure of the details. I don't believe it was "locked" closed, but it caused the pads on either the inside or the outside to constantly rub the rotor, which caused the problem. I would think that if you just coasted on a flat piece of pavement, you could feel a little pulling if this were happening. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
ItsFrench
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue when I picked up my Z at NCM last month:
See my thread:
Brake Pulsation
It was very noticable. But after I put 3,000+ miles on her, I can barely feel it now. I'm gonna give it a few more miles before I take it to the dealer.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 PM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

you're rotors are warped.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
AaronM3C6
Heel & Toe

Default Warped Rotors since new

My rotors were slightly warped the day I picked up my 06 Z06. Got somewhat worse over next few weeks.

Dealer turned all 4 rotors, one was really out other 3 were a little out.

I did not insist on new rotors since with my luck they would be off as well.

Brakes are now perfectly smooth.

Aaron

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pulsation from factory..anyone?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Z06HAMMER
Advanced

I had the same issue...brake pulsation which became more and more pronounced as I crested 2000 miles. I took it to the dealer and they turned the rear rotors (after I told them not to turn the rotors ). I left the dealership and the pulsation was still there, plus a gawd-aweful squeel anytime I touched the brake pedal. I turned tracktion control off for the first time since I've owned it, did a smokin' 180, pulled back in the dealership...angry! They put me in a nice Pontiac rental car and replaced my rear rotors the following day. Haven't had a brake problem since. Oh, the dealer did $700 body damage to the right aperture panel which they of course "didn't do".

So I guess my one and only complaint about this car is the lack of ability the dealers (generally) exhibit. The only reason I brought my car to the dealer was for warranty, and it wound up costing me $700 and 4 days without my Z.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:23 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Thanks guys!

I'll print this out and bring it to the dealer so they don't think I'm nuts.

How on earth could a brand new rotor be warped? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:06 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

You may need to have your rotors "scrubbed" of brake pad material,then turned. This should do the trick. If your rotors are warped then the padlets will deposit material on the "high spots" of the rotor. This pad material will make the pads "grab" the material and create a "stick/slip/stick/slip" condition. This condition feels like pulsation. It won't fix itself in time. It will get worse if not fixed. You will REALLY notice it from a hard stop from high speed (like 150.) Good luck with the cowboys in your local dealer service.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brake pulsation from factory..anyone?