CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/790649-how-do-i-make-custom-formed-rubber-hoses.html)

CentralCoaster 04-03-2004 01:01 AM

How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses?

Is this possible? I need to make some for my power steering cooler I installed. Needs to be the nylon reinforced (pressure rated) hoses.

Is it as simple as buying standard hose and boiling it or using a heat gun or something of the sort?

I'm too lazy to do a Google search, and you guys are always johnny on the spot anyways. :D :lurk:

Corvette Kid 04-03-2004 01:22 AM

Re: How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? (CentralCoaster)

:lurk: Now there's a question I haven't seen before..........

Mez 04-03-2004 03:08 AM

I don't think a heat gun will work very well. The heat is too hard to regulate.

I have not tried this, but it should work. Slip the hose over some soft copper tubing. The copper tube should go thru the entire hose length. Use a little water/soap to make it slip on easier.

Bend it to the shape you want then place in oven at 325 degrees for 10 minutes. Take it out and let it cool slowly.

I am guessing on the temp / time here. Obviously, too hot or too long will totally melt it. Too little and it won't change shape. You may want to experiment with a small piece of hose at various temps and times to see what happens before doing the final part. I guess the right temp will be 325-400 degrees but check the temp rating.

You may want to do this while the wife/significant other is out shopping (smell).

Jaxian 04-03-2004 04:46 AM

Re: How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? (Mez)

This is going to depend alot on which lines you want to change on your power steering. If you look closely at the hoses you will notice that one just uses regular high temp oil rated hosing and is held in place with standard hose clamps. This is the low pressure return side. You can run any high quality high temp hose you would like on this side that is rated for oil. The other line coming out of the power steering pump has flare fittings and factory crimped ends on the rubber hosing, this is the high pressure side. I am assuming since you put your own power steering cooler on you didn't use the factory cooler (the retro-fit kit is no longer available to my knowledge), so you can't just retro fit the factory power steering cooler lines on to yours.

If the hose routing goes Pump ++> Steering Rack --> Cooler --> Pump again, you should be okay using standard lines as the only high pressure area is the one marked by the +'s and your cooler is in the low pressure return line. Just use high quality oil hoses and good fittings/clamps. The oil hose isn't hard to find and while a bit pricey isn't too bad, much cheaper than steel braided. Also make very sure you flush the oil through the whole system until its clean, on earlier cars the teflon rings on the spool valve where much harder than the aluminum housing. This tended to cause lots of wear and failures from the resulting junk in the fluid. If you have a late car don't sweat it as the factory went to iron housings to fix the problem in 1988. Lots of early cars have new racks already because of this. Since the C4 racks where so sensitive to dirt some people put in filters, not sure exactly where to get them, but if you are in buying hoses and moving stuff around you could look into it. Hope this helps.

[Modified by Jaxian, 1:49 AM 4/3/2004]

korvette4u 04-03-2004 10:42 AM

Is this possible? I need to make some for my power steering cooler I installed. Needs to be the nylon reinforced (pressure rated) hoses.

Is it as simple as buying standard hose and boiling it or using a heat gun or something of the sort?
I'm too lazy to do a Google search, and you guys are always johnny on the spot anyways.

:D :lurk:
How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? your answer to fix your lazyness. becuz if you can't. what the sense to explain anything to you? :beatdeadhorse: :D :D :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

joeveto 04-03-2004 01:10 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding what you want to do. Why don't you just buy stainless line, and then bend and flare it?

Will this not work?

The other option, would be to create your desired bends using multiple links of hoses, connected by fittings. Might look like crap, and I can't speak to the reliability of doing this...

CentralCoaster 04-04-2004 04:52 AM

Re: How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? (joeveto)

I need formed hoses, because the bends would be too tight otherwise, and kink the hose.

The factory hoses are formed for this same reason, plus they have to clear the PS pulley.

I am routing the hose on the return side, so I guess I can go with standard hose.

I was in the hardware store yesterday looking at dishwasher stainless braided hose, they can bend pretty tight without kinking...but I think I'll try the oven trick as mentioned.

I just figured this sort of thing was commonly done among hotrodders... I guess not. Or maybe you guys are just waxers?:jester

I'm going to Google now. :seeya :auto:

BLACKVETTE95 04-04-2004 12:06 PM

I do like the oven method, but .....
let's say you need 90 degree bend. when it forms in the pipe, how would you take it out? Or do you cut the metal pipe? Wouldn't it be better to boil in water so that as it heats, it will not melt onto the pipe?

just a thought....

smar 04-04-2004 01:28 PM

Re: How do I make custom-formed rubber hoses? (BLACKVETTE95)

I would look for hydraulic equipment store in your area. They will re-crimp new hoses to the old fittings. you will be able to choose type of hose and the lenght. Even some automotive stores like NAPA might be able to do it.
:steering: