CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Dual Exhaust (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/762977-dual-exhaust.html)

Yeller81USNRet 02-26-2004 08:56 AM

Dual Exhaust

Just got this article out of Corvette Chevy Trader March 2004:::
All engines will perform better if they can breathe better, but in the real world your Corvette will gain little or no additional performance from a genuine dual exhaust system. In general, engines with radical camshaft profiles and other super high performance characteristics will benefit from a larger exhaust system far more than more mundane engines. Some of the outrageous engines from the 1960s, such as the L88, or a custom racing spec engine, really do need true dual exhaust, but your 1980 does not and you will feel no difference between that and a high quality, low restriction system that feeds into a single catalytic converter...

Now do you all think this is a True Statement ????
:steering:

Avette4me 02-26-2004 09:01 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust (Yeller81USNRet)

It's their story, they can tell it however they want...However, I disagree. Might be in my own mind, but when I got rid of the cat and went true dual, I experienced a noticable difference...

Master Ho 02-26-2004 09:19 AM

I'd ask them to define "high quality, low restriction system that feeds into a single catalytic converter..." If it's the OEM setup for the '81, I'd say they're smoking something, because the OEM pipes aren't mandrel bent.

Crash80 02-26-2004 09:37 AM

I just had my 2-1-2 system on my '80 converted for a grand total of $80.00 bucks and I can't really tell a huge difference other than it sounds a ton better. It actually sounds like I have Flowmasters on my car where as before my Flowmasters were a bit more subdued sounding. Of course, I don't get on my car to often. It is 24 years old in May and I am trying to make the parts on it last as long as I can. The one thing I did notice is that it does not seem to slow down as fast when I get off the gas, like there is not as much backpressure to cause engine braking. The sound difference alone was worth the $80 bones it cost to do the pipes.

Pauld 02-26-2004 09:44 AM

Well , all I can say is that when I installed true duals on my '81, I noticed a significant difference and it sounded a whole lot better. I think that this is a must mod for anyone that has a 2-1-2 system. Only my $0.02 worth

Ganey 02-26-2004 10:04 AM

See Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81
Many refer to it as my Exhaust topic. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

Later cars like a 86-88 SS Monte Carlo have a large oval into & out of the cat. which would help those retaining the basic stock type setup.

The topic above was written for guys that want to seriously increase power. The first thing one would do w/ a L-88 is headers & better exhaust.

:cool:

mvftw 02-26-2004 10:05 AM

Re: Dual Exhaust (Pauld)

Same here, took off the 2-1-2 and put on true duals, no heat riser, H-pipe & flowmaster 50's :D

Dalannex 02-26-2004 12:13 PM

Re: Dual Exhaust

Whoever wrote that article obviously spent too long standing in the smoke. :rolleyes: Engines that breath better make more power. I think they should have said that heads and cam make more results than true duals, but any one of the three help.

-Justin

[Modified by Dalannex, 11:16 AM 2/26/2004]

marshrat99 02-26-2004 12:19 PM

Ditched mine and went with true duals. Mine are chambered w/o H or X pipe. I'm thinking about converting to the H or X to mellow out the sound a little. Anyway, for me sounding fast is almost equally important to running fast. :cheers:

6318 02-26-2004 12:25 PM

Re: Dual Exhaust (Dalannex)

I think when you think about all the mods we do that increase power by 1-5hp...when you look at exhaust...the price to benefit ratio is unbelievable...even if it's nowhere as good as everyone says...
my true dual exhaust cost:
hedman headers $450
pipes (installed) $100
you just can't beat that!

Fang S-289 02-26-2004 06:04 PM

Re: Dual Exhaust (Ganey)

See Why Exhaust is problem for HP on 75-81
Many refer to it as my Exhaust topic. http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/ganeyexhaust.htm

Later cars like a 86-88 SS Monte Carlo have a large oval into & out of the cat. which would help those retaining the basic stock type setup.

The topic above was written for guys that want to seriously increase power. The first thing one would do w/ a L-88 is headers & better exhaust.

I couldn't agree more. I installed the chambered MAD duels on my 76 and although I don't have dino numbers, I have no doubt there was a noticable improvement (SOP) which I attribute mostly to the removal of the cat, and secondly to the duals.

:cool:

[Modified by Fang S-289, 6:05 PM 2/26/2004]