CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   what is the best throttle body? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/699509-what-is-the-best-throttle-body.html)

vettewreck 11-26-2003 11:03 PM

what is the best throttle body?

who makes the best throttle body for a C5? Is it better to send my stock one out to be ported and polished or just buy a 80mm one new? Who should I send it to if you guys steer me in that direction?

rfgoss1 11-27-2003 01:00 AM

Re: what is the best throttle body? (vettewreck)

Unless you are running a power adder, like a turbo or SC, or a stroker, then just get a Shaner ported TB. You can send in your core and the price is right. It is a sweet piece.
Cheers
Randy

Shortimer 11-27-2003 01:06 AM

Re: what is the best throttle body? (rfgoss1)

:iagree: I've read some reports of guys/gals dyno testing their rides with these bigger throttle bodies and finding little or NO gain. They aren't cheap either. :chevy

LittleBoyBlu99 11-27-2003 01:15 AM

Re: what is the best throttle body? (rfgoss1)

Unless you are running a power adder, like a turbo or SC, or a stroker, then just get a Shaner ported TB. You can send in your core and the price is right. It is a sweet piece.
Cheers
Randy
:iagree: :iagree: :cheers: :cheers:

NVR BRNG 11-27-2003 01:17 AM

Shaner or Bauer are 2 guys that do good work. I had mine ported by Bauer, the primary reason I decided on Bauer is because (at the time) he offered powerder coating too. The port & polish work was done well and the area around the breather connector was epoxied & drilled out to smooth out the intake side of the TB better. On my bolt-on motor, probably not much improvement in the RWHP department, but I did notice improved throttle response, especially once the motor got up on the cam and the hammer is put down. Consider this mod as part of your overall package, and not a significant RWHP improvement all by itself.

OldSStroker 11-27-2003 09:16 AM

I test C5 ported TBs for Bauer Racing. My basically stock '97 A4 still idles at 550 with the TB ported especially for an automatic. His M6 porting is slightly different, as they don't seem as sensitive at idle. Currently mine is coated bright red to match the lettering on the fuel rail covers. I like the semi-gloss black however.

BLU-JACKET 11-27-2003 10:29 PM

Vararam makes a new insert for the TB that's called the Velocity Stack. Apparently it creates the same effect as a ported TB. I noticed it on Nates-Corvette Garage site for $30.00... :cheers:

vettewreck 11-27-2003 11:11 PM

Re: what is the best throttle body? (BLU-JACKET)

guys thank you first of all but I am running a magnacharger and a vararam. Soooo...... should I send mine off to this shaner thing or what?

[Modified by vettewreck, 4:12 AM 11/28/2003]

EFI-1 11-28-2003 04:57 AM

Back when I was looking for a ported TB for my SS, I did some reasearch and found Bauer to be one of the most reputable.....after placing my order with him and receiving the part within a week I knew i had made the right decision. Excellent service, fast, and an awesome product. Bret does some wicked work on TB's.

V8_Club 11-28-2003 06:47 AM

Re: what is the best throttle body? (EFI-1)

BBK 80mm. Slight HP increase if stock will come into play with new LSX manifold ( larger TB intake ) .

vetterdstr 11-28-2003 08:49 AM

Stock TB's work great, I had mine ported years ago and still run it now. If there was anything better than the stock part, it would have been installed long ago. :smash:

VR :cheers: