CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/692351-3-tail-light-history-on-c1-and-c2s.html)

Lickitty 11-16-2003 06:33 AM

3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's

Our 63 SWC has 3 Tail Lights and came from California
Can you pass on what you know of 3 Taillight history
I have heard (1) Jan and Dean made a movie with a Vette that had 3 Tailights
(2) It was done a lot with California Vettes

Please pass on any thing you've heard and maybe ALL of us can come up with the correct answer

Thank You !!!!! and Save the Wave

:auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :party:

Chuck Gongloff 11-16-2003 06:45 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (Lickitty)

It was a common custom modification back then. Seems I remember reading that Clippinger Chevrolet/Bob Wingate actually ordered cars with 3 tail lights from the factory back then. They were a HUGE Corvette dealer in California, and could probably get anything they wanted. :) Chuck

Lickitty 11-16-2003 06:55 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (Chuck Gongloff)

Thanks Chuck !!
I too had heard that it was a California dealer Option but could NOT substatiate that
Makes sense since FORD ( Hurts to say that 4 letter word ) had a Mustang or Cougar called the California Special with a 3 rd Tailight in a sequecial configuration

Lickitty 11-16-2003 07:09 AM

If you go to this link
http://www.corvette.net/misc.htm

and then click on the 1966 Prototype- Notice the TWO different taillight designs.

you will see that the General fooled with this 3 Tailight option as well as putting the 2 Taillight option up on the character line !!!!!

MikeM 11-16-2003 08:38 AM

The first one I saw was in 1961, on a '61 Vette. The dealer did it at owner request. This was a long time before I heard of Jan and Dean and a long way from California. You would occasionally see them in Car magazines of the of period.

Look at your third light wiring. If your harness has jumper wires spliced into the two tailight harness I would venture an educated guess that the installation was NOT to any engineering approved method.

I don't recall seeing any harness in the parts book for three lights.

Mike

[Modified by MikeM, 1:48 PM 11/16/2003]

jerrybramlett 11-16-2003 09:45 AM

This "option" is an urban legend based on some truth.

Yes, Jan Berry and Dean Torrence were into Corvettes. Between them they owned about a dozen. However, most were solid axles bought used until they hit it big in 1963. Jan wadded up his new Corvette in April, 1966, and did serious bodily harm to himself. For a long time, and perhaps still, he's been a passenger rather than a driver. The movie about them (not by them) was a made-for-TV piece in 1977 that did show some Corvettes. I didn't notice if any of these cars had three tail lights on each side. This "movie" was made long after the six tail light fad.

I have seen a photo of new mid-year Corvettes sitting on a California dealer lot with six tail lights. However, I've always believed that these were customized at the dealership level and not at St. Louis. Perhaps there were styling cars built by GM with six lights though.

Installing extra tail lights, flared wheelwells, 5-spoke mags, and a '67 hood scoop were extremely fashionable ways to personalize a mid-year in the late sixties. I guess you had to be there.

[Modified by jerrybramlett, 9:14 AM 11/16/2003]

396 RAT 11-16-2003 10:18 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (jerrybramlett)

Clippinger Chevrolet with top Vette salesman Bob Wingate added the 3rd tail light's at the dealership. Wingates 67 FSO car now owned by Bob Radke was the only Vette that supposedly came from the factory with 6 tail lights.
Here are some photos of the 67 FSO car. Also shows the lot full of dealer installed 6 light cars. http://www.67fso.com/

Paul L 11-16-2003 10:26 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (396 RAT)

That's absolutely fascinating reading. Thank you!

JPatrick 11-16-2003 10:31 AM

:thumbs: Great pictures of the Wingate vette. Nicely done, but I'll still take my tail lights in two's.
Thanks for the great history lesson 396 Rat! :chevy

Maximillian 11-16-2003 11:26 AM

It's my understanding that none ever rolled off the assembly line that way. My 'vette is still at shop being restored (paint's done and looks killer, now they just have to reupholster the seats).........anyway, he has restored hundreds of midyears over the past 20 years.

I noticed one with the 3x taillights and asked him about the history of that myslef. He said that almost every single car that comes into his shop for a paint/restoration is either a 3 taillight, or once the paint is off, WAS 3- taillight at one time. We walked around the shop and sure enough, every midyear that was down to glass had filler where the 5th and 6th WERE located.

4wdvette 11-16-2003 01:09 PM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (Maximillian)

That goes for my 66 coupe also. I purchased it in 1977 from by brother-in -law. He purchased it from the original owner in 1969 and it already had the 6 taillights. I just finished the paint job and returning it to the 4 taillight configuration. I agree, the wiring harness does not appear to be factory - far from it, as were the tin soup cans that formed the taillight buckets (bubba was there).

427Hotrod 11-16-2003 04:23 PM

Great Pictures!

I LOVE that car! Man...would have been great if Steve McQueen had used that green car instead of that Mustang in Bullit!

Neat...big tires/wheels, 6 tailights, opened up rear fenders, no front bumpers.....just way too cool!

I'd love to see some cars "restored" that way. Those are the cars that made the legends and the ones that got people enthused about Vette's!

Thanks,

JIM

Cliff63 11-16-2003 05:23 PM

Clippinger Chevrolet with top Vette salesman Bob Wingate added the 3rd tail light's at the dealership. Wingates 67 FSO car now owned by Bob Radke was the only Vette that supposedly came from the factory with 6 tail lights.
Here are some photos of the 67 FSO car. Also shows the lot full of dealer installed 6 light cars. http://www.67fso.com/

I think recall that a car was built for Wingate prior to the green one with six taillights, also. Something about he did not like the color. Comments?

Paul L 11-16-2003 05:33 PM

BTW what wheels are those?

Lickitty 11-16-2003 08:45 PM

Thank you for the history lesson . As always , the forum members never fail with their expertise . We all know more than when we started . It is interesting that the 1965 ,66,67 and 68 Chev Impala's had 3 Taillight configuration . Wonder if they thought this would take away or Add . Also the lower end , Biscayne and BelAires just had 2 Light configurations
Here is a Link to our 63 SWC with the Extra lights
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=252134

396 RAT 11-16-2003 10:10 PM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (Cliff63)

I think his silver 66 had 6 tail lights. Dealer installed.
They modeled his 67 FSO after his 66.
Will ask him next time I see him.

The wheels are American Racing.
I believe they may have been gone when Bob Radke
found the car. Not sure if they were ribbed or not.

64Ragtop 11-16-2003 11:11 PM

I grew up in Whittier Ca. and as I recall there was a kid that attended our rival school and drove a 6 tailight 63. His father was very wealthy and would buy him a new car every year. Most of the Corvettes in our area were purchaced at Don Steves Chevrolet on La Habra.

cbernhardt 11-17-2003 06:43 AM

In the Jan and Dean song Deadman's Curve I always thought the famous line said: "All the Jag could see were my 6 tail lights" . I have a CD that sounds like the line says "All the Jag could see were my Frenched tail lights". ???? Anyway, why stop at 6?
http://www.carols62.com/rearlights2.jpg

[Modified by cbernhardt, 6:45 AM 11/17/2003]

markiemyster 11-17-2003 10:58 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (cbernhardt)

I've only owned my 65 for 18 months but it came with 6 tail lights. I assumed that someone just added them to customize the car because they also added mild flares.
It may not meet NCRS but both were done tastefully and I love the look.
:steering:

noelga 11-17-2003 11:38 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (Maximillian)

Maximillian
Are you using a body shop in GA.?
If yes would you tell who ard where it is.
Thanks
noelga

[Modified by noelga, 11:39 AM 11/17/2003]

Nick D. 11-17-2003 02:43 PM

My 66 coupe had EIGHT tail lights to go along with 4 wheel flairs when I bought it approx approx 4 years ago. The product of a sordid past no doubt. Growing up in SoCal in the sixties, I saw many Vettes with six but never eight. I left in six (a back-up between two tail lights on either side) cause I like the look but installed them in the correct "pockets". Nobody left their high performance cars "original" to my recollection.
Nick

ctjackster 11-17-2003 04:36 PM

In the Jan and Dean song Deadman's Curve I always thought the famous line said: "All the Jag could see were my 6 tail lights" . I have a CD that sounds like the line says "All the Jag could see were my Frenched tail lights". ????
2nd stanza:

The street was deserted late Friday night
We were buggin' each other while we sat out the light
We both popped the clutch when the light turned green
You shoulda heard the whine from my screamin' machine
I flew past LaBrea, Schwab's, and Crescent Heights
And all the Jag could see were my six taillights
He passed me at Doheny then I started to swerve
But I pulled her out and there we were
At Dead Man's Curve

source:
http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyric...ve/197912.html

[Modified by ctjackster, 4:49 PM 11/17/2003]

67fso 11-19-2003 01:29 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (427Hotrod)

The 6 tail lights on my 67 FSO car were done in St. Louis. A number of articles have been done on the car in the last year, and you can see all the details in one of them. See http://www.67fso.com/covers.html Thanks to Mark (396 Rat) for his posts.

The 6 tailights were a dealer installed "option" for many big dealships, as well as Goodyear Blue Streaks on Torque Thrust D's, headers, etc. Anything that could add profit to the bottom line for Bob Wingate, and make the cars look and perform better was done. During this era, huge auto crosses and weekend races of all sorts were the norm. Very few kept their cars stock, with example cars such as Wingate's experiments with new 64's and 65's leading the way. I have so many really neat photos from the era of this racing activity, and even some home movies taken at the time.

The number of cars done at the factory with 6 tailights involved many other mods to the cars also, and they were one off styling exercises. Harley Earl had a few famous special styling cars done.

A far as restoration, I know if I had paper work on a car coming from Clippinger or Harry Mann or whoever that showed 6 tail lights, Torque Thrust D's, Blue Steaks, headers, etc. on the car as dealer installed options, that is the way it would get restored. I think people sometimes lose sight of why these cars were bought in the first place.....speed. Blown motor, no problem, warranty will replace it with a new one. I cringe sometimes when I think of the number of cars put back to "stock" and the true history that has been lost, in the name of some flight or gold award. Mark's 396 Rat car is a stunning example of an unrestored car with tremendous history. Thank heavens he got it.

If you're into it, you can glance at the 67 FSO the whole month of January: http://www.67fso.com/calendar.html

Bob

396 RAT 11-19-2003 07:39 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (67fso)

Glad you made it Bob!
:party:
This is where I met Gessner, and he introduced me to you.
(Have met many great folks from this forum)
Many knowlegable folks stop by and help out.
You will fit right in.
Now sign my guest book! :cheers:

tuxedo 11-19-2003 08:59 AM

I think those six tailights look great. I have even heard that some of these 60's cusotmizers would cut the side vents out and flip them upside down and reinstall them. Then the vents would look like intakes versus exhaust heat exits.

FINWOLF 11-19-2003 10:24 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (tuxedo)

I dont know if this helps here is a pic of my vette with 3 lights. I know it does not look like a C2 but it is it looks more like a C3 back end. But at least you can see the 3 lights.
http://www.steves65customvette.homes.../traction7.jpg
http://www.steves65customvette.homes.../car_show2.jpg

[Modified by Stephen DeFazio, 9:26 AM 11/19/2003]

Mr. Wonderful 11-19-2003 04:33 PM

Thanks for that cool link :cool:

VFW NO.11548 11-19-2003 05:41 PM

I just had the 5th and 6th taillight holes filled on my 64 coupe, cailf car, this thread has me wondering if I did the right thing?? Oh well, I do like the factory look....the lights were mounted with ,what looks like .030" thk sheet metal channel with the channel legs angled to rest perfectly aganist the inside of the panel , it has a large hole for the connector/receptical to go thru with two mounting holes that corresponded to the two mounting posts on the back of the taillight housings, the wiring looked professionaly installed...

dejavu67 11-19-2003 08:43 PM

http://www.home.ix.netcom.com/~dejavu2/corvette.jpg

Hi! I am new to the forum

I own a Nassau Blue 1967 Roadster with the California style flare
wheel wells, Big Block hood, front bumpers removed and
3 tail lights. I have just installed sequential lighting
provided by http://www.foxthundercats.com They also have sequential
lighting for 2 tail light vettes.

[Modified by dejavu67, 4:10 AM 11/20/2003]

Lickitty 11-20-2003 01:18 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (VFW NO.11548)

This thread just keeps GETTING BETTER !! I often thot our car was perhaps a Freak with 6 Tailights , flares and non original paint colour but .....
I'm starting to feel human again
All in all , not everyone has to have an ORIGINAL MATCHING NUMBERS CAR or .......
Not everyone has to have a MODIFIED CAR
The main thing is that , We RESPECT each others views , we encourage each other and Talk and Drive the COOLEST CAR the General ever made!!
Gentlemen , let's together " TOAST " the Corvette !!!
God Bless You , America , Canada and every other person and Country that is free to enjoy this great hobby and passion of Corvette Craziness . WE love it !

markiemyster 11-20-2003 09:05 AM

Lickitty
I couldn't have said it better.

:thumbs:

yooperod 11-20-2003 10:23 AM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (markiemyster)

Great info
The original owner of my car added the 3rd lights
the 4th owner glassed in the holes
imho Gm should have used 6 lights, symmetrical
rod

Ryanc65 11-20-2003 10:48 AM

Licitty,

My car is a former California Car, it may soon be again, and It has flares on all four corners. It does not have the 6 taillight config. However, that doesn't mean it never did.

The odd thing is the engine in my car is most likely original.

I like my vette just the way it is, except for the old paint job and the fact that it is up on jack stands while I rebuild the front suspension and steering. :D

Ryan

steinboy56 11-20-2003 03:01 PM

The Jan & Dean Movie lost some NCRS points when it showed them driving a C2 through a cornfield and showing their speedometer at 100+. Unfortunately the speedo was a C1. Not an easy swap I'll bet!

Stinger66 11-20-2003 08:38 PM

Re: 3 Tail Light History on C1 and C2's (dejavu67)

I wasn't aware that there was a "California Special Style" for the midyears.
I must have been raised with the mushrooms.

I knew I was special when my dad bought HIS first corvette in 1966 and on MY 16th birthday..He may have wished he had ordered it from Clipingers with the 6 tail lights option, as it was totaled when a 1 ton flatbed truck pushed the tail lights up to the dash board while my parents were having dinner at a local eatery
Clipingers Chevrolet changed hands a few years after ol' man Clipinger passed away, with him we lost a large part of corvette history in So. Cal..
:steering: :steering:

[Modified by Stinger66, 6:03 PM 11/20/2003]

GS464 11-20-2003 09:09 PM

I was first introduced to my 63 Roadster back in 66 when I was attending college.
I purchased the car in 1968 and it has been carting my tail around ever since.
In 1966 the car had 6 tail lights and still does today. It was originally delivered to the Chevy Dealer in Rocky River ,Oh. and has always been here.
I did a little bit of research in the past 30years or so , re: 6 tail lights. In the Northern Ohio area I've seen quite a few 6 tail light C2's. Interesting thread to this is.....I have always favored the 63's and have been able to examined 6-7 of them. Of the cars that I could examine and talk with the owners...all but one were Roadsters...all of the cars were 250hp w/ T10 4 speed and they were either Red, White or Blue. Hmmm?

Saving the Wave in Ohio....Dave
:seeya

60LS1 02-16-2024 06:37 PM

3 Tail lights are perfect!

I was in high school in the early sixty's and loved hotrods even in the mid-50's. I lived for the day when I might have a Corvette with six tail lights. I was blessed to be able to purchase a well used and abused 1962 in 2002 and had the "correct" tail lights added. :)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...65a129e922.jpg

silver837 02-17-2024 12:18 AM

Nice job.
You are answering a 21 year old thread. But you are on the record now . :thumbs: :yesnod:
The last post from the user you replied to was in 2010 ,

60LS1 02-17-2024 12:49 AM

back at ya

Guess that doesn't change anyone's interest in Jan & Dean's hit song about the six tail lights and the interest in "California Tail lights" from yesteryear! I'm just an old dog enjoying what I couldn't afford when I was young. BTW got a C8 and am a graduate of the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School for C8 owners. Livin' the dream!

silver837 02-17-2024 12:57 AM

I hope you did not take offense to my post.
It is nice to get to the point that you can fulfill your dreams.
It took a very long time for me to get my SWC . :thumbs: